Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ooni pizza ovens & accessories thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

I cooked a couple of steaks on mine recently which turned out great and whilst they were resting I used the same grizzler (the flat side this time) to cook up some chopped onions, mushrooms, baby corn and tomatoes seasoned with some salt and pepper and tossed in a drizzle of olive oil. They came out mildly charred and al dente. Perfect and very complimentary to the steaks. Nice and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

It has not been delivered yet. I will post update here when I do

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kris74

If anyone has a referral code ,I would be very grateful .

Thanks,

Niamh

I used the griddle pan last night and have to say I am impressed with it. I did 4 fillet steaks and they were lovely. Normally for me it hard to cook for more than two bit the pan was great, 90 seconds each side and boom :)

Going to have more steak today for lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Did you just throw it on for a few minutes, or do you have a recipe?

• Advertisement

I watched a few videos and follow d the guide on ooni,

Bring uni up to the full temperature with the pan in it.

Heavily salt one side of the steaks and that side goes down on the pan. Put it back in the ooni for 90 seconds and then turn and leave it in for another 90 seconds.

Take out the steaks. And put a number of butter on them and wrap them up in tin foil for 5 or 6 minutes to rest and then they're ready to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alquaa

If anyone is interested in purchasing a gozney roccbox dm me and I’ll refer a friend. I understand you get a free cover if you’re referred.

Did you oil the steaks before putting salt on one side?

I did, I had the steaks out in room temp for one hour with a drizzle or oil on each side

Thanks Padair, I assumed you did so popped a couple of striploins on the sizzler for 90 seconds a side per your directions and they came out perfectly medium rare. The only thing I changed which is personal preference is I rubbed a clove of garlic on the steaks before adding butter and then also added a few twists of black pepper before closing the silver paper pouch and resting for 5 minutes.

Nice and simple, great result.

• Advertisement

Watch putting pepper on the steaks before putting them in as the cast iron will get So hot that it will actually burn the peppers so it might leave a burnt taste on your steak

No, I get that which is why i only add the pepper after the steaks are cooked and the butter had been applied, just before they are wrapped for resting. The butter softens the cracked pepper and takes on some of the pepper flavour.

I also made mistake of not cleaning the cast iron griddle straight away and reapplying some oil and it has some rust and needs to be cleaned off.

Did your seasoning burn off the front of the griddle?

I washed the griddle after dinner and let it on the draining board to dry. I forgot about it until this morning and yes, by then there was some rust on it so I just drizzled some oil on it and rubbed it in with some kitchen paper before storing away until it's next needed.

I found the sale with the larger grizzler, you need to season it straight after washing it otherwise it quickly develops some rust but even if it does a rub of oil and it's good to go.

One other related point is I found the wooden bases for both the grizzler and sizzler to be completely useless. The grizzler one has warped and is barely useable and the sizzler isn't much better. The wood seems to be too thin to deal with the high heat of the iron when resting on the wood as you turn meat or whatever and it just warps.

I started using the back of a much thicker wooden chopping board to rest both the grizzler and sizzler on and whilst it does brand the wood with black streaks the shape of the iron it doesn't warp and is it's a lot sturdier and confidence inspiring to use that the bases provided by Ooni which are barely bigger than the grizzler/sizzler and require careful lining up with which isn't that easy when the pans are up near 400c and you have steaks or whatever spitting oil onto your hand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Glad you mentioned that @54and56 as Im about to use my cast iron in it to cook steaks later this week and I had thought the wooden base that is supplied with them looks and feels like it wouldnt be able for high temperatures of a raging hot cast iron pan. I think I'll use an upturned roasting tray to rest it down on instead, that should be okay with the heat.

Have you found it tricky launching and collecting the cast iron with the metal paddle? Heavy metal hitting a really hot stone too hard might crack the stone, will have to try to be delicate with it.

Hi Muahahaha, the big Grizzler is tricky enough to handle as there are two handles to insert and control for lifting. There's a bit of a knack to you but it's easy enough.

I've no real concerns about the iron damaging the stone but what is tricky is finding the right balance between inserting the Grizzler / Sizzler far enough into the Ooni so it gets the full blast of heat Vs inserting too far and burning the hand off yourself trying to extract it again when cooking is done or it's time to turn meat over.

The technique I've ended up with is putting the Grizzler / Sizzler into the Ooni just far enough so that it's just about in then I remove the handle(s) and use a long tongs or spatula to just push the Grizzler / Sizzler in the rest of the way.

To retrieve the Grizzler / Sizzler I found (having stung my hand several times trying to reach in to "hook" it with the handle) using a tongs or other long implement to grab / drag the Grizzler / Sizzler out towards the edge of the Ooni and then insert the handle(s) so you can remove the Grizzler / Sizzler to the wooden base for turning the meat etc works best.

You definitely don't want any young kids etc floating around when you're removing the Grizzler / Sizzler as it's a tricky enough manoeuvre without having to watch out for nippers getting burned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Don't have your puppies near you using the grizzler either.

I dry my grizzler/sizzler in my kitchen oven for 10 or 15 mins after washing it. It ensures it doesn't rust.

cheers thanks for the tips. I have a heavyweight BBQ glove so I think I'll put that on to retrieve the cast iron. Mine is just the 9 inch cast iron pan with one handle so hopefully it wont be too hard to retrieve it but I will have a long tongs on hand just in case its needed. Im looking forward to cooking other things in the Ooni, really must dig out a recipe for tandoori chicken as that is a dish that really benefits from high heat cooking

I buy a tub of this from Musgraves every year or two. Slice chicken breast or boneless thighs (I prefer the thighs) into finger size strips, coat in the tandoori paste, leave overnight in the fridge (I use disposable food bags) to marinade and then whack into a hot oven, airfryer or as you point out a 400c Ooni for crispy / charred on the outside and moist and tender in the middle. Serve as a snack / starter with some sort of mint based yoghurt dip or wrapped in a naan or chapati with some salad etc .......absolute winner.

It's probably the lazy way to do it but at €12 for a big tub it's a no brainer really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

Hi

If anyone has a referral code I would greatly appreciate it

Tom

For you info

I signed up for Ooni newsletter and got a welcome discount code.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I tried this and didn't get one unfortunately!

I got the discount code from the UK site, which didn't work for me ordering from EU site but when I contacted Ooni help they gave me a working code, a sort of sideways manoeuvre 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Got an Ooni gas burner for the Karu 12 recently. As I was advised to by Ooni, I got a propane tank or it. Stupid me didn't spot that propane tank was a screw on type connection. The gas burner comes with a clip on connection. So I got the shop to swap for a butane tank that has a clip on connection. Got it home and the Ooni gas regulator connection is too small for the connection! Both tanks were Calor gas (I that makes a difference).

On the box it says "butane 23-30 mbar, propane: 37 mbar" and its the correct one for Ireland.

Been onto support about this and they just keep telling me to get a new gas tank and try the connection. The shop seemed to only have two types with different sizes.

Has anyone fit their own regulator onto the gas burner? I assume I can just buy one of these and fit it on: https://shop.calorgas.ie/calor-essentials/gas-regulators.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭MacDanger

There seems to have been a change in the propane cylinders recently - I went for a replacement and got the screw on but noticed it before leaving. They had a second type of propane connection but that also wouldn't fit so I had to go to a different shop for it (I think the one you want will say "Patio Gas" on it). Not sure why there's been a change though

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one to encounter this. I was going mad. I'll have to go to another shop and see if they will swap the canister for me. Otherwise I'm fititng my own gas regulator (Which I'm not confident in doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Eddies Smokeless fuels beside Father Collins park in Clongriffin changed my regulator for me. It was a quick, cheap job and they had the parts I needed.

Went to use my Koda 16 tonight and I discovered that the pizza stone was cracked completely in half left to right about half way in near the Ooni logo. Anyone else experience this? Is it ok to cook on? Were Ooni any help or did you just have to suck it up and order a new stone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

My Koda 12 stone was the same. Cracked across the middle while in transit so they replaced it with a new one. Not sure if they'll replace it when it was cracked after delivery though. Might be worth getting onto their chat support.

The stone is definitely still useable, but the heat transfer to the front won't be 100% the same as before due to the crack. But since you have the Koda 16 it should still work well as you have the flame at the side also.

Advertisement