Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Yes everything is irrelevant if it doesn't back up the point you are making.

The Irish greens are attempting to ban gas, when not just our own regulator has said our present supply is unsecure, but we are also not complying with the E.U. by continuing to use this unscured supply.

Talking about LNG banning is not "attempting to ban gas"

So please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

You going about the price of wind vs nuclear is irrelevant - the EU have determined that natural gas and or nuclear are the two options for the period of transition to renewable energy generation.

How do you not understand that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Talking about LNG banning is not "attempting to ban gas"

The Irish green party are not just talking about banning LNG. They have introduced an Oireachtas bill attempting to do just that.

All natural gas is not LNG, but unlike the Irish green party perhaps you could answer where are we to get this natural gas other than LNG that is recognised by our own regulator as a secure source and is in compliance with E.U directives ?

If you cannot do that, then if the greens get their way on their proposed legislation to ban ALL forms of LNG, then the only other E.U. recognised transitional energy source left is nuclear. It really could not be any simpler.

Great news, now just have to wait and see what will be included /excluded in the regulations

I understand you ignore everything unless it suits your point of view, so fairly pointless joining a discussion website if you just want an echo chamber

Excellent news and a very idiotic proposal in the first place.....again proves the opposition don't have a breeze about what they are doing. If they actual had any plans about turf why do they have a reactionary vote now?

• Advertisement

"I understand you ignore everything unless it suits your point of view, so fairly pointless joining a discussion website if you just want an echo chamber"

I'll take it you are referring to your own comments todate on this thread?

So again no discussion, just flinging shite, attacking the poster, and accusing others of your own foibles. Well done you.

Let me quote the previous piece of invective you posted and direct it back to you.

Again you take half a story, twist it and post a pile of rubbish on here. It is really getting extremely boring now. Very disingenuous

As far as I can see the only reason that motion was put forward by SF was because of the various fcukups by the green party in their attempts to railroad their bizarre ideas through without proper consultation.

One thing, this debacle has done is made sure the green party's chance of being re-elected are zero

As to to the timeline for the final proposal. Looks like the greens are not going to get their way regardless

An Taoiseach Micheál Martin stated afterwards that “There is no ban on the use of turf in rural Ireland and there will be no ban for the remainder of the year.”

Not much news there. The government was not going to collapse itself due to a Sinn Fein or Independent motion.

The real fun is going to be when Ryan comes back with his proposal and outlines how it will be legal to gift or sell turf in a community of 500 or less, while it will be an offense to do so in a community of 501. How he proposes to draw the border lines for these communities of 500 or less will be even more fun to watch.

His proposal is a complete load of nonsense that anyone with half a brain can see it as such.

Regarding MM's statement where he said

"There is no ban on the use of turf in rural Ireland and there will be no ban for the remainder of the year.”

Just to point out that there was never a ban or a proposal for a ban on the use of turf.

Commercial sales of it are a different matter.

As I said, we'll have to wait and see what happens when the regulations are published.

Imho there won't be much leeway given in terms of commercial sales as to do so would open the govt up to litigation from coal sellers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That idiot Martin is incapable of making a statement without making things worse. (No ban for the remainder of the year means that a ban is on the way.)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Well considering things were already well and truly up **** creek without a paddle, Martin adding a single comment to the debacle of the Green Party running around like headless chickens really ain't going to make anything worse.

Martin is gone at the end of the year one way or another and he knows it. I would look on that as him saying after this year it`s someone else`s problem.Either way I cannot see Ryan getting much help from FF or FG when it comes to wording a law that defines all the communities in Ireland with populations of 500 or less and how it would be legal to gift or sell in one of 500 or less while it would be an offense to do so in a community of 501. If a community of 499 is going their merry way selling and gifting turf and some lady gives birth to twins, twins are adopted or another family of two moves into the community then any further sales or gifts from that day would be illegal.

It`s a complete load of nonsense, but I am really looking forward to what Ryan comes back with as a proposal on his 500. Leonidas and his 1000 Greeks are heroes for falling on their shields defending the pass of Thermopylae during their last stand. I don`t expect Ryan`s 500 not to suffer a similar fate, but to suffer derision rather heroic acclaim.

Ryan already survied one leadership heave from Catherine Martin. (It seemed like an attempted water melon coup with Labour types who had joined the Greens after Labour imploded trying to do the same thing to the Greens as had been done to Labour by the Stickies.) It would be interesting to see if he survives another. However, Ryan and some other Greens have that dead-eyed look of fanatics.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From memory I think the lack of duty on aviation kerosine is written into various IATA treaties, so landing fees are normally used instead as a source of revenue.

Now that you mention it some of those Greens do have that dead-eyed old Soviet fanatical look. That could indeed be due to some of the old Stickie element moving over from Labour when they imploded. It would also go a long way to explain the easy ride Greens get from the mainstream print media and RTE. The Stickies were very active in the mainstream print media back in their day, and far as I remember was there not speculation that they had a very active but clandestine cumman within RTE ?

The Stickies were very active in the media and the Ned Stapleton cumman of the Stickies and Eoghan Harris dictated a lot of RTE news output. The Greens have always had favourable coverage from RTE even before Labour imploded in 2016. Think that Ryan was minister for communications in the 2007 government and this one. Some in the media are also pro-Green. Even FFers in the 2007 government acknowledged that Ryan was a good minister.

There is a kind of ideological true believer element in the Greens and an attitude that they know best despite many of them having no relevant science background. When Labour imploded, a lot of the votes that wold have gone to Labour shifted to the Greens. The cult of Saint Greta also attracted a lot of naive voters who wanted a kind of secular Doomsday religion. It effectively created two Green parties within the Greens.

The leadership challenge to Ryan was effectively one faction trying to take it over. The problem for this faction was that the Greens had already dealt with a split in 2007 over going into government with FF. It lost many of the Greens who were against going into government with FF but kept a core group of realists who understood that to get Green policies into law, it was necessary to be in government, The challenge failed and some of the losing faction left the Greens.

Some of the more Left leaning ex-Greens from the 2007 split set up their own party, Fis Nua, but it failed to achieve any electoral success. Unlike the Continental European Greens, the Irish Greens are more to the Right than the typical European Green party. Someone described them as FG on bikes and it wouldn't be too far from the truth. Those social connections and the fact that the Greens replaced Labour as a kind of "none of the above" party for people who didn't want to vote FF/FG/Labour (SF not being a major party at the time) meant that they were going to get a lot of favourable media coverage.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

She was never even elected by the public and she's a government minister parachuted in by Green Party.

I don't know what sort of "democracy" we are being ran by anymore but it's clearly not fit for purpose.

Umm, are you not aware that a Senator can be appointed to Cabinet by the Taoiseach?

This is not unusual and has happened several times since the foundation of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

I am aware as obviously thats what happened. I just don't agree with it and it's undemocratic, much like the whole Seanad.

• Advertisement

I don't see how its undemocratic. Its a function of the office of Taoiseach to appoint anyone from the Dail or Seanad to the Cabinet. The Taoiseach is elected and so was Pippa Hackett.

Now I'll grant you that the worst thing about the Seanad is the nature of the voting for candidates, or lack thereof for the Taoiseachs appointees, but thats a different topic for a different thread/board

It's evident the gp have already given the finger to both the state and government.

From the Green Partys recent attempt at their unilateral decision on the implementation of restrictions for the sale / giving of turf by individuals to attempted interfering with an Bord Planala decision on the much needed LNG facility by a sitting goverment minister to the apparent stonewalling of the Barryroe gas field development by the same minister and the misrepresention of their programme of government over their stated ban of fracked LNG to all LNG - they have shown themselves to be be little more than useful idiots for Putins stranglehold on Europe's energy resources

Sooner they get the boot the better

It`s legal but its a bit of a farce in a supposed democracy that someone who was reject by voters in a general election is then appointed as a Minister on the back of 79 first preference votes.

The people also had the opportunity to shut down the senate, I certainly voted against it, yet people wanted it and now complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Eamon Ryan is literally the Healy-Rae embodiment of Dublin:

-Overly passionate about trivial things

-Followers of quack science

-A list of gaffes as long as your arm (sleeping during the Dail session, dropping the n-bomb)

-Only dimwits vote for them - but a loyal following of dimwits nonetheless

People of his constituency/county should be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Those are definitely the similarities, but there is one glaring difference. By any measure, Ryan is a bit of a dimwit whereas the Healy-Raes (particularly Michael) are calculating and very intelligent. The Healy-Raes play to their audience (no trace of their mother's American accent for instance), whereas Ryan is of his audience. He is the type who vote for him. The Healy-Raes are more of a highly successful cynical act.

So to clarify because you voted against the issue, anyone who 'complains', didn't?

Some logic that

If I'm not mistaken, Ryan was elected in the first count with nearly 23% of the first preferences.

That's no small feat regardless of what political affiliation you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I mostly agree with this but at the same time they do more damage to causes they support than good. The gay marriage and abortion referendum for example - they did more damage to the no campaigns than the yes campaigns ever could. Any rural-specific issue, RTE instantly shove a camera in their faces as if they represent everywhere outside Dublin. They are detrimental to rural causes really. The government are well aware of this too - they know that if they want to turn the general public against/in support of something, just get the Healy-Raes harping on about it.

If they were really intelligent and calculating, they would know when to shut up.

Advertisement