Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭celt262

I would certainly give us a chance i was quite negative after the performances in the league but that was a better overall performance on Saturday even though Antrim were brutal we did what we had to do. The squad is also getting stronger now with players returning from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭willabur

took the spin up the road to the game on saturday. A few hilarious moments before we even made it into the ground.

first of all the chuggers outside the gate, one of them was a lady in her late 50s early 60s made a beeline over to us chugging the box in front of us. We didn't have any change on us, who has money these days. I very politely said we didn't have any change, she called us pathetic. Wow

Then just in the gate of the grounds, we had tickets for the south terrace. There was no terrace just a car park behind the goals. So I asked the steward where was the south terrace, his face turned and repeated back to me 'what do you mean where is the Terrorist??' Which in the west belfast accent is understandably terrifying. Managed to survive those two welcome to belfast moments to make it across to watch the game.

Cavan made a mockery of the league standings. If Antrim are comfortably a d3 team then cavan on saturdays showing are not far off a top 8 team. Padraig lynch makes a huge difference, played very well but even when he wasn't on the ball having that presence of someone who can play 14 and not a player used to playing out the field looking to play there. He could do with one or two nippy corner forwards to round off the threat. Defence was very good though its easy enough to look good when antrim were that bad.

Looking forward to donegal, you have to give us a chance purely on the fact that the squad is the same as 2020 and they put donegal to the sword that day by being the better team. Donegal looked decent yesterday, they always do until they don't. THey will be super up for the Cavan game and will be seething after 2020, would make them healthy favourites but I really think we can give them a serious game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Great team performance on Saturday. I thought we played some lovely stuff in the first half but obviously the wind seriously affected our score taking. Paddy Lynch rightly gets the plaudits but I thought James Smith's movement in the first half was excellent and caused Antrim all sorts of problems. Gerry Smith had his best game for ages and lovely to see a fully fit Conor Brady tearing into people. Martin Reilly showing that class is permanent and lovely to see the Holla back in a Cavan jersey. And as usual, Jason was brilliant (even if RTE referred to him as Paddy McLoughlin in their minute review on the Sunday game!).

So Donegal in the semis. Great, bring it on. I always fancy our chances against any team in Ulster in the championship as long as it isn't Tyrone. They'll be looking for revenge, but our panel is stronger now than it was in 2020. Have they improved? As long as we put it up to them (and we will), i think we are in with a shout. Gone are the days of 2019 when we went in meekly against them and the game was over at half time. Match ups will be crucial but I think Mickey Graham excels at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The Armagh folk are not impressed. It's hard to believe Geezer learned absolutely nothing from the game two years ago in Breffni. Oisin McConville had even mentioned on the GAA Social on BBC Sounds that he believed the game would be different from two years ago because Armagh would have some form of tactic ready for Donegal pushing right up on them.

I know Antrim looked poor but the fact is people were greatly talking them up before the game so its a big plus for Graham that we blew them away. Of the three BBC panellists, I think it was only wily old Harte who went for Cavan in the pre game predictions.

I read a Cavan poster over on the Senior Championship thread stating Donegal are in the final now as they'll have us hammered by half time but I'd give this Cavan group more credit than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭tanko

• Advertisement

He has to be the most overrated manager of all time. He's won nothing as a manager. His record with Armagh is (i think) three wins and one draw in Ulster since he took over in 2015. He had his team more or less peaking in the McKenna cup this year :)

Of course they had the all-Ireland won in March this year....

Hard to tell sarcasm on the internet in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair enough, i think we have a decent chance against Donegal albeit they’ll be the favourites but will need to improve a lot on the Antrim first half performance, containing McBrearty is key to beating them which is easier said than done. It’s great to see Ciaran Brady and Martin Reilly back.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mylestheslasher

They are 1/5 favourites which is insane. We are 4/1, I'll have a bit of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Were they not something crazy like 10/1 or 14/1 ON in 2020 as well?

• Advertisement

You could argue for the odds being crazy in 2020 given that they had us beat in the final before half time in 2019 (i still think the odds were shocking for a two-horse race) but this year that seems a bit much. From a Cavan side, all of this should be fueling another performance, which i have no doubt we will get.

Clones it is for Sunday 8th, throw in at 4pm. And finally, some common sense: the ladies semi final against Donegal is also on Clones, throw in at 1.45pm. Decent day out. No sign of tickets online yet.

That's a great move. Would be great to see a big crowd for the ladies.

Anyone think that Gerry Smith should have made the GAA team of the week instead of Gearoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

No, Paddy Lynch should have.

I agree. I think many of us have been saying that since the Carlow game, Gearoid's form has dipped from his normally very high standards. Still, he took his goal well and you got the sense in the second half that he was getting back to his best (which we will need him to be against Donegal). But definitely would have had Gerry Smith in there. Lynch definitely should have been listed.

It's interesting to see the players that have a media profile and maintain it over the years. I didn't think Gearoid played overly that well on Saturday but he gets the plaudits - the goal would have helped in that regard. You're not the first person I've heard say this week that Gerry should have been in the team ahead of McKiernan.

It might help too if the media weren't calling players Gearoid Smith and Paddy McLoughlin - fook me, it can't be that hard to have names right for a 3 minute match report.

Yep its a media thing and lazy journalism if they watched the game they would have seen who the better player was. Gearoid didn't have a bad game but wasn't that effective until Antrim went down to 14 and things opened up.

Sure remember 2019 vs Monaghan when Dick Clerkin gave Gearoid Man of the Match on Sky and then had to retract it after anyone and everyone was lauding Martin Reilly's performance and he got GAA Player of the Month.

• Advertisement

My issue is with pundits as opposed to journalists. The latter go to Sigerson games, club games (in their own counties and often see other club teams in the Ulster club championships), minor and u20 games. They know their stuff, know who players are, how (and where they play).

Pundits watch highlights (at best) and the odd one just about know stuff from their own county and make lazy assumptions about teams (ie division three trumps division four, ergo Antrim will beat Cavan). They typically will know one player per county outside of a division one team. They are also the types to make nonsense statements about the likes of Armagh being Ulster contenders. Fermanagh have a better recent record than them in Ulster :)

Well Gearoid is the spiritual leader of the team according to Sky!

In my opinion when Gearoid plays well we probably beat anyone except the top couple of teams in the county he is that good and can have big impacts on games. One fault to his game is that he can be easily put off his stride when he gets "special attention" from the opposition and ends up just playing around the fringes and doesn't do enough to try and impose himself on the game.

I do dread the day that he hangs up his boots though!

I agree 100%. In the past teams often have succeeded in nullifying Gearoid and no one else stood up. There were many games even when he was closely marked and he nearly won games single handed (Tyrone 2018 being a case). These days with Thomas, James Smith and now hopefully Paddy Lynch (and possibly Conor Brady if he keeps developing and obviously a fully fit Holla as well) you have players who can stand up physically and drive the team on and that all need minding. I don't think it's a case any more of "stop Gearoid, stop Cavan".

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Gearoid has looked extremely low on confidence to me. He has been missing easy chances and is overly cautious on the ball.

He seemed to cut loose a bit at the end of the Antrim game though and even went for a spectacular volley. Hopefully that's a sign that he's out of the rut. Need a big game from him against Donegal.

I think Mickey also needs to tweak his role, he doesn't have the vision to be the man taking several possessions in one passage of play on the 45. Put him where he can show his strengths.

Cavan have a number of players who should be in peak physical condition now for intercounty football given their age and experience. IMO what we need to do now is ensure that the next generation start coming and are ready for when Gearoid, Martin and others do hang up their boots.

Other years I expect most of us would have been happy with a good showing against a strong Donegal team - the issue this year is that it's win or bust. As much as I'd like to see the lads put their all into the Tailteann Cup, I just can't see it happening because, if anything, we have an age profile of player whom I can't see being interested in a second rate competition.

Tickets on sale since 1. County Board state they expect them to sell out due to double header.

Good man Eamonn McGee describing Cavan as “serial losers” on the GAA Hour last week. That’s one to pin to the wall.

County boards not helping again anyway. Girls U12 semi finals set for Sunday. Seems to be a regular occurrence in Cavan.

• Advertisement

That's great planning in fairness to them they have the pick of the pitches in the county....

Advertisement