Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob racer question - do you usually manage to race faster on race day than your best training day?

• 29-04-2022 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I play a sport / don't usually run races but I've entered the GLR 6 mile next Sunday.

I'm trying to come in at about the same time that I did in '13 last time I did the GLR. I'm about a minute over that in my training runs this week.

Is it usual to run a bit faster on the day due to adrenaline and excitement of the occasion? I can't really remember how much faster my '13 race was than my training runs. I remember it was a bit faster. Would 5% faster be within the realms of possibility or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

It reads like you've been racing your training sessions, when prepping for a target race/event you don't typically run the race distance at race pace in the week before the race or ever in the training block really. Not something to repeat in future as you'll hinder your development and increase your risk of injury and simply it's not enjoyable or sustainable in even the short to medium term.

That aside, to answer the specific question for me personally on race day I will always be faster than any training run or time trial (including parkruns as they are not a race). Combination of reasons, the quality of the training going into the race, stress and on the day using the adrenaline wisely. Only yesterday I referred a friend doing the marathon in Limerick this weekend to a great clip from the early years of Tommy Tiernan. Don't be like Declan Moffit on the day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SPhXdGK6s&ab_channel=stephendonoghue

Enjoy the race and best of luck on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JimmyChew

Your big issue going for time in this one will be the start. It's going to be pretty congested. At best you'll be picking your way through the crowd burning up time and energy, at worst you'll be at a standstill coming over the start line. Get there early if possible but even at that it will be a challenge and luck of the draw that the group around you are in or around your pace.

I find there is a bit more pep in the step come race day alright for the same reasons you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

I like to run!

Hey Declan made it 4 miles, I only have to make it another 2 before I keel over into the ditch and I'm in with a chance to win this thing :)

For sure even though this forum is Athletics (more than just running) & Running I think we all like to all like to run, just mind yourself that you can keep running!

Indeed maybe don't go off with the leaders straight off but finish strong to catch them in the finishing straight...poor Declan!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks for the help lads, ran a race today which I was very happy with! Was thinking of your replies that yes people do normally race faster on race days.

Interestingly my GPS says the 6 mile race was actually 10km, not 6 miles/9.656km. I'd love to check if that's correct with someone else who had GPS because I'm dead curious. I've asked on the main GLR thread. If it really was 10km I ran a much faster race than my training runs

• Advertisement

Well done, consider setting up a training log here and then people will chim in the offer support and guidance. Glad that you had a good race. As for the distance, I know a few people who ran the 6mile and it just showed as 6mile for them. It would depend on the GPS you use and the racing line you ran, with all the turns on the course if you ran wide on a few of the bends you could easily get close to the 6.2mile/10K.

Advertisement