Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Yeah, looks like everything goes to AIB. They couldnt start charging you though, you would have to be given ample warnings and opportunities to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

Charlie Weston was on Matt Cooper last week calling on KBC to remove their break out fees on fixed term mortgages. What are the chances this might happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

Probably very little. They'd argue they're still providing mortgages and your terms won't be changed with a new provider?

I mean they should be. They also should clarify whether people can move their current account if they have a mortgage with them and get the discount rate,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well, I think it's clear:

If your Mortgage transfers to Bank of Ireland, your Mortgage discount will continue to be honoured for as long as your Mortgage remains with Bank of Ireland. You will not be required to open a Bank of Ireland Current Account to avail of the discount. From the 1st June 2022, KBC will commence a process of engaging with customers regarding the closure of current accounts. As of that date, you will be able to close your KBC Current Account and your Mortgage Discount will be honoured by KBC Bank Ireland and by Bank of Ireland once your mortgage transfers.   

Can easily be found in the FAQ: Important Information - Current Accounts - KBC or Important Information - Mortgages - KBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How are EBS pulling out of Ireland when they're am Irish Company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes I realized that after I posted. I guess Im so used to hearing the phrase lately I typed it without thinking. Apologies for such a terrible oversight. Wont happen again. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Daith

Sorry, I mean before June. If someone wanted to switch current accounts first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

If you switch before June you will loose the discount & when moved to BOI you will not get the discounted rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭rodge123

Off the phone with Avant Approved Broker and confirmed that 1500 cashback is gone.

Wont be going with them now.

Id imagine stumping up 1500 cash would put a decent amount of people off switching…reckon they are missing a trick here by not keeping it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

Only if you can get a green mortgage rate. Avant are still the best option for me regardless of the cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I did the numbers for mine... Avant at 1.95% vs PTSB 2% cashback at 3.2%, still saving about 9 grand over the remaining duration of the loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We opened a joint account with our local Core Credit Union this afternoon. No appointment needed and a painless process. All very friendly and easy so far. I found opening a joint account with KBC a few years ago much more arduous, though the app subsequently was in fairness, grand. The Credit Union app registration is pending so jury is out on that so far.

So long free banking, I think €4 per month for the two of us together isnt bad for what we are getting. Hopefully the Credit Unions are not going to do a legger in the foreseeable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At worst I'd just see further mergers - suspect the Central Bank would prefer to regulate one huge mutual not hundreds of middle sized ones (now that ReBo has been wound down after 82 mergers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Our app registration came through and it went fine. App has a lot of additional functionality to the KBC one and the same stuff like setting up standing orders etc.

My wife mistook the activation pin versus her password and got locked out, she had to call support. She got straight through and it was sorted right away, very impressed!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Nightmare trying to sign up to PTSB as a KBC customer.

Woudldn't recognise my 'selfie' for love nor money. 2+ week to get an appointment with any local branch. Might just go to BOI instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭.G.

I signed up with PTSB last week via the app. Account is open now just waiting for my card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Would you or anyone be aware if all credit unions are using the same app 🤔 is it a dedicated credit union app, I held back on credit union option as I was concerned their app would have limited functionality.

Thanks

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Westport Covies

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Westport Covies

We have two current accounts and a mortgage to move..

At the minute we're overpaying the mortgage so will need the best variable rate to continue doing that for as long as we can afford to..

Hate this shįte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Avoid cashback deals unless you are tight on funds when you buy your house.

Banks get the cashback back with higher interest rates for those loans and in many cases you are paying handsomely for the cashback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a couple of different CU groups with different technology platforms. You'll need to check with your own CU to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There are 2 main big providers behind the recent credit union current accounts:

MyCU (not that many CU’s yet)

My Current Account

That should give you a good overview what is available in your bond area.

if your local CU is not on that lists than only they can give you more details, but nothing is stopping you to see if you qualify for the common bond of one of the above mentioned groups.

Thanks for that , my CU is under the My Current account and actually not bad in terms of what the app facility offers.

Thanks for the info 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

I opened an aib account so I have it when I get the notice from KBC. Anytime I want to set up a payee, it asks me to use a card reader - can this be done on my phone? I tried asking aib but gave up after two hours on hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I've always had to use the physical card reader & then imput the code provided on it, whenever adding a new payee.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Do you have your debit card? If you have an Ulsterbank card reader lying around, I'm pretty sure you can use that too. It used to be the case years ago anyway.

Yeah I got the debit card and pin in the post but no card reader. If I go to order one from online banking, they want me to pay for it and crazy wait times on the phone. Only opened the account last week but thinking about closing it and going somewhere else

Your first one should be free, I got my free one last week myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'll see if I can find an old Ulsterbank one. Not sure if it's still around. They're the same technology with different branding. The codes are based on the card and pin so you can use any AIB or Ulsterbank one.

Although it does say here that your first one should be free, as stated by the poster above.

How do I order an AIB Card Reader?

Edit: I found it but it says battery low. Takes 2 CR2032 3v batteries if you want it?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I managed to get through eventually and they are sending me out a free one

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Some fixed rates allow you to overpay up to a certain % of the mortgage you take out or you could take out a split mortgage, part fixed and part variable to reduce the average interest rate. I had done that with KBC (and NIB before that).

Simply work out how much you might realistically over-pay during the fixed rate term you want and set that to be your variable rate mortgage, with the rest at the best fixed rate with the same provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Depends, for us the cashback was more than the savings from lower interest rates, and it was given up front (after two months) instead of a gradual saving over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Very true. A cashback of 3% of a mortgage held for 5 years works out to be about equivalent to a discount of 0.6% per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

It works for some people, but the banks do get their money back from you. The banks that offer the best cashback deals tend to have the highest variable rates too, so unless you are willing to switch, they tend not to be the best value mortgage. But as I said, it is suitable for many people as there's a lot of expense at that time, so its almost like a low interest loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MercuryBoy

"KBC Bank Ireland has extended the notice period for its customers to close their current accounts due to concerns that the banking system would be unable to process tens of thousands of switches in a short period.

KBC account holders will now have six months from June to make new banking arrangements, pushing the earliest deadline for switching until the end of the year."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Happy days, 3 more months of free banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ah man. I just opened a current account with AIB this week 😫.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NetworkOrange

Maybe enough time to see if EBS gives up on current accounts or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What a farce this is turning into :-(

Just listened to the Indo Daily podcast which gives a good overview of the Irish banking sh1tshow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Two banks are leaving the market because they found it unprofitable, so why would any bank want to take on the unprofitable customers of such banks, never mind take on additional staff etc... to accommodate them?

I have said this before, move as quickly as you can to find a new bank, do not leave it until the end because I fully expect some people will end up having to accept basic banking services. This is a seller's market.

Competition is good for the customer up to a point, but taken too far it almost always is to the detriment of the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The remaining banks dont have enough staff to deal with all the Ulster Bank-KBC customers looking to find new homes for their accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

So I got in contact today with KBC, they had offered 1500 breakage fee before but now it is zero. I have 20+ years on mortgage but I am at a B2 non the house on last BER rating in 2020.

Who are people moving to? I have used Avant for credit card and car loan etc and wondering have people moved to them? are they good?

I am not a huge fan of AIB and have zero time at all of BOI. I was with BOI years ago and found them terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I went with AIB as couldn't stand Bank of Ireland. The app for AIB isn't great compared to KBC. The tablet app just opens browser when logging in and doesn't even use the app at all. I plan to just use AIB to get my salary in and for savings account. I'm just going to send money to my N26 account and use that to manage standing orders and direct debits if possible. I use Revolut as my day to day card along with for all online purchases and usually topped it up via KBC. Will just use N26 to fund it since AIB will charge me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Falling

Does anyone know if any of the remaining banks let you open a joint account online?

I'm having a nightmare trying to get an appointment, combined with both of us trying to get time off work. Online would be so much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

That's interesting, Last year I was quoted 7k to break out of my fixed rate. I have 7 years remaining in fixed, maybe 18 in total on mortgage. I wonder has the breakage calculation changed with them closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

That is what every AIB customer I know does, either to N26 or to Revolut.

I rang yesterday, they had told me maybe 6 months ago it was 1,500-2000 to break from memory. I have 4-5 year left fixed and I asked, guy rang me back today to confirm zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well here now a one who doesn’t use revolt or n26 or anything similar.

I just use my AIB credit card for pretty much everything the cash back more than covers the fees and it’s nice and simple having everything under one roof.

I have been with them almost 40 years . Only opened kbc account for savings which I think I’ll leave there till the death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

People have posted that EBS are closing down but it could be a few years before it happens. No-one knows.

Anyway I PMd EBS on Facebook. Sent all my documents to them by email to the closest branch. Once they approved my documents they set everything up then gave us a time to call in to sign a few things. 5 minutes in the branch. Joint account opened as soon as we signed. 2 debit cards and online banking. They did a switcher and any debits that didnt move to the new account I changed online. Simple enough. No monthly fees. We're happy with EBS. Good service.

Ive heard that An Post current accounts are a total nightmare. Mad fees and poor service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I must give them a ring next week, I have about a year left on my current fixed rate. Would be happy to fix again with KBC at the same rate for another 5 years if possible. That's with the assumption BOI will honor the fixed rate when the mortgage transfers over

Advertisement