Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yes, I think we're set at LH for the foreseeable, it will challenge Duggan to develop his game, which I think he can. But we really need another TH. The way in which the scrum is now being used as a weapon and penalty machine means puts a lot of pressure on props to lock down that part of the game or they're a liability. Hopefully an announcement comes soon on that front.

And Hansen was, predicatbly a success at fullback. Loved his crazy over the head catch, pity a penalty was awarded against Wooton for obstruction (looked soft to me). Despite his youth, Mack has a welcome air of authority.

I wouldn't pay any attention to OTB's blather about him and Munster, that's just red meat 'content' for their outsized red audience.

OTB rugby is really the Munster/Leinster show, I abandoned it for Gavin Casey's 42 podcast with Kinsella and Jackman which is much better (Andy Dunne was good as well but seems to have given up the media gigs). Casey is a modest presenter, it's the opposite of OTB. The 42's other pod with Eoin Toolan and Murray is good as well, worth supporting IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

OTB gives alot of coverage to munster alright. I am amazed with the same shite talk from Alan Quinlan every day. He will start off saying it was a definite red card in his book and then talk himself around and stay it was really a harsh red and nit even a yellow. Then will be lead by the direction of a question. Ulster gets even less coverage than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Connacht are in the top 5 most watched teams in the URC. Only team outside the top 4 to do so.

Mmmmh... the officials have been announced for Connacht's game against the Sharks.

We got Quinton Immelman as TMO - that's the guy who robbed Ulster against the Stormers.

• Advertisement

Have the Theo bishop or fionn gibbons rumours any truth to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Haven't a clue but both would fit the profile of typical academy signings. There aren't many home grown candidates this year outside of Matthew Devine so we will have to look elsewhere to flesh out our intake. Would be surprised if Gibbons didn't have an offer from Leinster but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS CELL C SHARKS

Saturday 30th April, 15:05 Irish time / 16:05 local time @ Hollywoodbets Kings Park

Number/Name/Caps

15. Mack Hansen (13)

14. John Porch (57)

13. Tom Farrell (77)

12. Tom Daly (59)

11. Alex Wootton (32)

10. Conor Fitzgerald (51)

9. Caolin Blade (149)

1. Denis Buckley (206)

2. Dave Heffernan (163)

3. Finlay Bealham (172)

4. Gavin Thornbury (61)

5. Leva Fifita (14)

6. Cian Prendergast (29)

7. Conor Oliver (40)

8. Jarrad Butler (94) (C)

Replacements

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (4)

17. Jordan Duggan (27)

18. Jack Aungier (30)

19. Niall Murray (33)

20. Oisín Dowling (24)

21. Kieran Marmion (207)

22. Jack Carty (178)

23. Tiernan O’Halloran (205)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Hard to see anything other than a loss but I'm hopeful. I would have thought DTM would start ahead of Heffernan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Boyle is falling down the pecking order. Connacht have a chance here. Sharks were run close by Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

“There are three guys who have had restricted training in the early part of this week. Paul Boyle with a toe injury, came out of the weekend. He’s rehabbing that at the moment. Bundee (Aki) had a couple of bumps and bruises, he’s been on light duty this week, and Jack Aungier had his HIA as well from the Lions game.

He picked up a toe injury last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

No bother. You are kinda right though he really hasn't featured as much this season as he did last season

Yep! He's a strong lad with skill. Serious player, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Pity he was injured. He has some pace off the back of a Scrum. Seems to be struggling a bit this season with various different injuries.

Butler has been flogged, what a player he has been for Connacht.

Will Leva Fifita move to backrow as subs come on??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Thing Dowling is able to play 6. Slightly confused on who goes to 8 if butler picks a knock, Prendergast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Wilkins must be the worst defense coach ever. The stats say it all. And Andy, what do you do. Tell Wilkins to do better? Or have you any useful function?

Three years of Andy Friend and three years of regression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

While I agree Wilkins record as our defense coach was very poor he did move to a new role this season with one of the other coaches made responsible for defense I think!

All that being said there is something major definitely wrong with our defense whoever is in charge of it, I also think the players themselves have to shoulder some blame for some of the huge scores we have conceeded.

Probably Prendergast yeah, he played 8 in one of the pre season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Nothing in this IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Porch is in trouble here.

Head on head contact when making the tackle. Both players are bending low so it's yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Porch head hit the Sharks players shoulder first.

Thought that was really harsh myself

They put a stat up on the SA coverage.

Worst two teams place kicking this year, Connacht the worst in the league(and in turn Carty).

Cartys place kicking is woeful and it's the reason we constantly go to the corner with penalties that are anything above a banker IMO.

You can win games with a good kicker alone and it's not something we can carry... We're not a Leinster who win score 30/40, either way.. we're the kind of team that needs every point going.

The Thornbury special.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great turnover from Blade to stop that try. Inconsistent refereeing from Adamson though. He penalised Kolisi for the exact same hands on the ground steal 20 minutes ago.

• Advertisement

Thornbury and Oliver are pure beasts. Best 40 minutes of rugby by Connacht in a while. Really thought Porches yellow was harsh. Both players were high so it could be looked at just as unfortunate much like Fafitas incident some minutes later. It's a contact sport so you have to give the benefit of the doubt to both attacking and defensive player, not just the attacking player. There was absolutely nothing malicious

Advertisement