Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The link provides some details on the make up of the private rental market and hap where 85% of the tenancies were with private landlords. So as private landlords we are paying 50% on our rental income (assuming those who are above €36k income from all income sources).

About a qtr of the spend in 2019 went to corporate landlords. I would then draw two conclusions from the above figs (1) is that if 15% of the market is being accounted for by 25% of the expenses then these properties are at the high end of the price. (2) is that the above goes back to my point that half the rent paid to private landlords is going back to the State.

This brings me back again to my point of our welfare system distorting the market. I am not familiar with the Enhanced leasing scheme and have to assume this falls outside of the RPZ legislation. Can you provide a link to this?

I would also welcome an honest debate into the housing market and maybe the general public would actually get a true picture of who exactly is benefiting and who is suffering on all sides in the housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

We have to get real about this though. Younger workers are at breaking point. A very substantial body of people are working full time jobs - and have been working them, all through the pandemic - for their whole career so far, and are now without a realistic prospect of home ownership in their lifetime, and a decent chance of eventually leaving the workforce into homelessness one way or the other without insurance or even pensions to speak of. This is not a crisis of inconvenience, this is the kind of thing that affects quality of life and life expectancies.

I'll be very blunt - IDGAF about older homeowners preferences if they come at the expense of the lives of the generation after them, which it is not dramatic to say is where we are now. We have the first generation in the history of the state to be worse off than the one before them, and housing is the No 1 cause - if Team Auld Biddy want to keep pretending they live in Glenroe forever then I hope they enjoy the collapsing services that result from a load of working people with no medical cards or health insurance having their bodies start to fall apart out under them and their heads in bits with stress, having no transport of their own or reliable public transport to get to work on, not having kids, and so on and so on.

This is not happening in a vacuum, I'm not surprised sympathy for people who seem to have won the lotto is running out from people whose physical and mental health is running on fumes thanks to decisions made to cater to their every whim. I couldn't give a toss what the view from these people's conservatories look like, I had lads on my team having to figure out how they could self isolate in an apartment room they were paying most of their wages to share, from an exposure they got working all hours, while their older colleagues - earning multiples for the same role, with permanent contracts, and mortgages mostly paid - were pretending not to know how to turn on their PCs at home and talking about how great the relaxed pace of lockdown was really because it gave them loads of time to get at the gardening.

It is too late for solutions that suit everyone. I managed to get a place by a near miracle, and the difference it has made to my quality of life just to know some bollox can't throw me out on my ear tomorrow has only made me more furious about the way this generation are having to live so people who live on another planet altogether get their way at their expense and don't have to see the unsightly results.

What **** social contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I would love to see the figures of how many companies in Dublin are benefiting from their employees being on HAP or similar social welfare supports, so for instance if 50% of Starbucks employees were on minimum wage and having their rent subsidised by the government how would people feel about that?

I have no idea if its a high or low amount of people but its interesting if social welfare supports are increasing companies profits by allowing them to pay lower wages and I struggle to see how anyone on minimum wage could be paying rent in Dublin but there are also lots of business they rely on minimum wage staff.

I personally know of a friend of mine and her daughter who has just secured the rental of a 2 bed apartment and the rent is €1950 per month. She is on homeless HAP and it will cost her €275 per month with the HAP covering the rest.

I don't know what her wages are but she is a Healthcare Assistant in a Nursing home so I suspect she is earning somewhere in the mid to late €30k's. So is most likely taking the bulk of this home after tax etc.

Assuming her take home pay is €2k a month then the rent she has to pay is less than 15% of her take home pay. At the end of the month she has more disposal income than I have and does not have to worry about any costs associated with home ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The healthcare assistant is not the problem

The problem is a 2 bed apartment is valued more than them

Average rate of pay is 11.99 per hour and they pay more tax than the apartment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It's a total disgrace. And double standard. All workers should be entitled to rent help or non! Or have the cut off at 70k plus at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The wage is not the problem here, it's the rent.

She is an essential staff member unless you want to argue that we can do without nurses in nursing homes?

So, either we need to pay her more, which has a cost, or rent needs to come down, which is the obvious solution.

Say she didn't have HAP, her yearly rent would be 23,400.

Say she earns 38,000 a year, she will come out with approx 33,648 net

That would mean she has 10,248 for everything else, like food, heating, clothes and so on for herself and her daughter.

Again, what do you propose she should do in this situation and from a macro side, what solution would be have to fix it?

Ive a partial solution. A large increase in all the current mickey mouse rents for social housing. The increase to be used to stop others beimg fleeced, so many can have an as good as free roof over their head...

Ireland of 2022... warm over a pittance and we are taxing you at outrageous levels, fifty percent, oh and you will have to find two grand a month for a decent one bedroom apartment in Dublin after tax... dublin, the city that doesn't even have a transport system worthy of the name. I'd love to know, where the hell our outrageous tax take over the pittance of an income, has been spent the last few decades. We need a new political party here, the current lot are institutionalized smarmy, weasels...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Hi, you reference a lot of things there, however, a good sense of perspective is needed. Your perspective just comes across as fatalistic. Nothing you argue or rant about merits eviscerating, by and large, the older generation (s).

Generally speaking the preceding or older generation now retiring or retired have worked hard for their lot and the families they have raised. I'm not saying they worked harder or less than the generation coming after them but in terms of living standards and convenience they grew up with far less than what is widely taken for granted today. No different than today many have had done well for themselves. However, plenty more have not. Many people have ended up emigrating abroad as they could not find work in their home town or country. For many hardship / relative poverty was / is a lifelong companion. Many people and families scraped by or lacked financial security no matter what decade or generation we care to reference.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

By simply having a home in Dublin mortgage or practically mortgage free the older people are in the top 1% of the wealthy in the country. Sitting on an asset with a cash value of a few hundred thousand, even if they are relatively cash light on a day to day basis, still puts them miles ahead of any renting person or person with a long way to go on their mortgage.

And most likely these older people paid a relative pittance for their homes and have never had to pay for the increase in value the home has achieved solely due to the city expanding and becoming more condensed around them. The luas, dundrum town centre, bus services, more local services etc they have all benefitted from, in particular, with their house price appreciation showing this. To object to the next generation moving in is to pull up the ladders and hoard limited resources for themselves and this is something which should be given no legitimacy to. I think the State needs to override the individuals right to object to housing in the interests of the common good, however this needs to be achieved (eg by referendum), as these objections are a direct threat to our future economic prosperity (quite simply; lack of housing equals a lack of new jobs and a lack of new companies / expansion of existing companies).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would give you good odds than anyone over the age of 55 or 60 who owns their own house worked harder and longer than any of the gobsh!tes moaning about them now. Not to mention the rate they paid tax at or the interest rate. Just go look at a few movies of life in the 60's, 70's and 80's in Ireland and then think about what an easy life people have now compared to that.

And they didnt have the lifestyle you have now either.

But no, everyone thinks they all had it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The worst of the interest rates in the 80s still doens't bring the cost up to what people have to do now. And the interest on deposits made getting the deposit a lot easier, as well as it being much smaller in proportion to salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

well those people in 60s, 70s, certainly had it easier than people before them and so on... its all relative. stop moaning.

"State's role in the housing market has gone from about 11% five years ago to nearly 25% now"

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0429/1295050-ireland-property/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Working people are prioritised for social housing in key locations (cities primarily)

The income limits need raised massively or disbanded, and the rent charged should be a fixed % of your household income. So rent paid scales with income as it does now (means tested) but instead of social housing being exclusively for the jobless/minimum wage earners, its not available to people that really need it. Gardai, teachers, nurses, council workers etc etc all need to be housed in the city - its not like tech jobs or a tradesperson who can in theory find work elsewhere - the state NEEDS these people to provide essential services, so the state should make housing options available to them (and others in similar financial circumstances)

The state should be the #1 housebuilder, either direct or via tenders, and it should not sell off its assets, housing or land.

The issue we have is the cost of living in general. I have proposed on a number of occasions a number of solutions to deal with our housing and wider issues.

Firstly extend the rent a room scheme to those renting whole properties. So instead of paying €2k a month and the landlord only receives €1k and the State receives the other €1k agree with the landlord to only charge €12k a year and he gets to keep the whole €12k if he charges anything more than €12k he pays tax on all of it. This then allows the tenant save the other €12k towards a deposit for their own property. Result is it removes people for needing long term social housing support and encourages developers to build knowing there is a market, and reduces the risks to banks for lending.

Secondly radically reform the welfare housing supports system. If you don't work and have no intention of ever working you are housed where there is a vacant property. If you are an essential worker you are prioritised for social housing support.

Thirdly, we need to radically reform our welfare system overall. No welfare system should provide a better standard of living than work does. We need the majority of people to be net contributors to our tax system not net benefactors. Despite what the parties on the "left" of politics think we don't have a magic money tree. if this means reducing our welfare system to force those to work who can and choose to play the system then so be it.

To bring the above into context on your post. if we changed the criteria for people on the housing list we would reduce the demand on the housing sector both private and public. There is a cohort of people who when they turn 18 they automatically go on the housing list. These people have decided they wont even try to house themselves. I personally don't have a problem with people who actually try and fail but I do have an issue with those who choose not to even bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

means testing should be done away with as it puts a barrier up to the haves and have nots and is a real issue with regard to competition. I find it galling that if your successful someone can be better off than you just because you earn more. A person should be taxed like a company you should be able to pay rent/mortgage out of your before tax earnings.

What you fail to realise is that the quality of housing in the 70's/80's is nowhere near what it is now. I grow up in a house built in the 70's, we had single glazed wooden windows were you woke up with frost on the inside of the window, no central heating, no flooring other than chipboard sheets. The houses kept you dry nothing else.

We had a different culture back in the 70's and 80's. We had to work for everything, we got no social welfare unless you worked. We have become to generous with our welfare.

The cost of housing nowadays is a combination of all of the inputs inclusive of land. Land is finite and it has always been a case that children had to move out further from where they grew up, people had no choice. People want the three bed semi with the garden within Dublin but we don't have the space.

The quality of buildings is irrelevant to this "who had it worse" muck you're spouting.

Building regs set a minimum standard of new housing, but because its a minimum standard there is no competition. Its not like a couple nowadays can choose to buy a new house with single glazing and no heating, they literally dont have that option. Housing nowadays is less affordable across the board, even 2nd hand homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

so why are people who cant get a house blaming the older generation. They didnt create this mess. What do you want to do lets kick out all OAPs to the street so house the youth? You need to harness your anger at the people who caused the mess

People objecting to new houses and apartments being built are partially responsible, NIMBYs essentially. It slows down and can ultimately end up with new units being cancelled entirely, which pushes prices up (less supply)

I dont know where youre coming from with kicking out OAPs, those are your words not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I own a house from the 1970s and grew up in a 1980s one (including in the 80s)

Both had central heating (albeit both awful in their own ways - electrical resistance air plenum and solid fuel fired respectively), and actual wood floors from new. Concrete downstairs in the 80s one.

Construction that cheap was for council houses back then, not houses built for sale. I've never seen a house that new without some form of central heating and normal floors; except council built ones.

There would have been houses sold new with double glazing in the 80s - it's a 1900s (the decade) invention as far as I know; but it was rare til the early 90s.

And anyway - its all rather irrelevant. People buying houses in the 70s and 80s did not have it worse as is actually evident if you look at the figures. That the entire country was grim has coloured peoples memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Doesn't matter how many times this is pointed out, the reality younger workers are facing now is evidently so beyond thinking about that people not in it simply refuse to believe it.

The other one I saw here lately was "Single people back then didn't expect to buy a home until their 30s and 40s!" and I nearly laughed out loud.

Single people aren't *expecting* to buy a home in their twenties now either. *Or* their 30s. Or their 40s. Or 50s. They are expecting to have to work multiple precarious jobs to pay rent throughout their entire career and then go homeless when they can't work anymore because they spent all their would-be pension money on shelter from the weather while they could.

There are people in this thread psychologically unable to accept what young workers are experiencing - the issue is not that they can't get the right kind of home. It's not that they can't get it for the terms they'd like or to the construction standard they'd prefer. It's that they cannot get a home. Any. And a large number won't get one, ever, now they're aging out.

Ask a Millennial about their retirement plan, and the joke for a while was "Die". Hasn't been a joke for some time. A good chunk of these people will never be able to retire and piss their time away objecting to everything, because they'll either work until they die young, or they'll work until they die old, one or the other. It is subsistence living.

You're just not going to get those people to feel too bad about being mean to the generation who had it good and then made it worse, and it's not reasonable to at this point. It's like complaining the lads overboard and desperately treading water are talking smack about the colour of your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Best Ive read on here in a long time.

Its amazing to read posters calling young people whingers and trying to create some fantasy alternate reality where the older generation are not being enriched at the expense of everyone else. Its laughable.

Are the older generation going to pay for all this property madness? Are they fvck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I don't think anyone had it easier/harder. Life is life. Make of it what you can and hope things time well for you.

It's like trying to work out who the best sportsman of different eras was. Impossible to decipher. Too many variables.

I'm happier to have been born in my generation (mid thirties) than my parents. There's aspects I could pick from their time id prefer, music etc but on a whole I think I got the better opportunities to experience life.

I do wish we had retirement villages similar to America though. My parents would happily sell up if that was available to them in say wexford or something.

But it's not, so selling up and downsizing would essentially mean moving to rural areas to get older, which is a crazy idea and you'd be a fool to do that in your late sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The social welfare supports have gotten totally out of hand though, how is someone with a decent job considered homeless? Okay her salary isn't great now because Dublin is apparently full of software engineers on 100k+ and assuming her landlord evicted her but why cant she go work in a nursing home outside Dublin or live with her parents as thousands are doing?

I'm really struggling to see what the qualification criteria for HAP are these days and why the state has to bail her out but most of all I don't see any less homeless people on the streets around Cork so all these billions of euro every year don't actually seem to be solving that and i'm really wondering how many of the people classed as homeless would actually be homeless if the state stopped housing them, pretty sure they'd live with friends or family until they can move somewhere cheaper to get their life back on track.

as the housing situation continues to get worse, I wonder how it came to be that social tenants got luxury apartments

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/social-tenants-in-rathgar-complex-excluded-from-certain-facilities-1.4415042

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

I've seen a few headlines around recently about how CSO figures show that property prices are only 3% off their 2007 Celtic Tiger peak, with the implication seemingly being we've run out of room for prices to grow further and are nearing the top of the market.

I'm genuinely interested to know if people here think that's a reasonable comparison to make. The first thing that comes to my mind is that all the other goods that make up CPI are surely up on their 2007 level, so you might, first order, reasonably expect housing to have recovered to some level close to that. But maybe not because housing was inflated so much over and above the level of the rest of the basket of goods.

Then there's the other factors that partly determine property prices, such as interest rates and wages. Interest rates were ~double what they are now, so while Jane Doe was paying €1148/month on her 200k@5.6%, 2007 mortgage, she would be paying only €821/month on her 2022 200k@2.8% mortgage. And that's before we factor in a small bit of wage growth, and the fact that you can get at most a 90% mortgage now, rather than a 100% mortgage 15 years ago.

All this is to say that with demand so high, and labour market so tight (seems like a lot of wage inflation at the minute, leading to higher "3.5x rule caps"), there, unnervingly, seems like plenty more room to grow?

Saving for a down-payment whilst renting notwithstanding, mortgage repayments and thus home-ownership continues to feel eminently affordable right now compared to renting, even as prices keep rising. Barring massive job losses or interest rate hikes in the near future (which are both possibilities 😬), if things were left as they are, how much higher do you think prices could go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Because every new development has a social allocation.

Advertisement