Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH - Anyway to extend line?

Options
  • 29-04-2022 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I've recently been trying to get FTTH, I checked OpenEir map and saw I was not eligble but about 4-5 houses down was. I tried contacting my current provider and OpenEir about what my options could be but currently at a standstill, OpenEir does not work with induvidual customer but the provider won't request a survey until Eir marks it to be done. I'd mentioned I was willing to get it done privately if possible / allowed but no details were provided if that could be done.

Am I just out of luck here? Not sure what my options are.

Thanks for any help with any of this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If your house isn't marked down for a fibre connection you're out of luck, cannot be extended privately. I assume you're in an NBP intervention area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanoh123

Not currently, says I'm not eligible for NBP. I'm currently on Fiber to the box but only provides speeds of 3 - 6 MB/s and goes out randomly. Is there no way to request an extension? Not sure of the process but just kinda frustrating that its a 2 min walk away but no way to get it.

Thanks again for the help, Whole things been a mess so any help is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Your property may have been left out of the National Broadband Plan in error. If you are unable to get broadband with download speeds of 25Mb/sec or higher, contact DECC and they will review your case: https://secure.dccae.gov.ie/forms/NBP-Customer-Service.aspx

NBP is really the only way you are going to get fiber, as commercial operators left you out for a reason (not profitable for them). They will not entertain the idea of extending their fiber infrastructure to your home.

Having been through the review process with DECC, be prepared for it to take a while (6 months in my case) and you then need to wait for NBI to survey your property.

Fibre-to-the-cabinet FTTC/VDSL? With those numbers you're either very far from the cabinet/exchange or are on a very bad copper line?

Where are you located approximately? What NBP intervention area are you in? Are any nearby premises included in the NBP intervention area?

The NBP intervention cut-off is any premises capable of connecting at 30 Mbps or above.

Dept of Communications interactive map here, enter your eircode - gov.ie - National Broadband Plan Map (www.gov.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanoh123

Yeah FTTC, Sorry about that. I currently have 3 - 6 MB which is like 30 - 60 Mb/s, So I think I'm out of the range of the NBI by a little bit, Unless NBI mean MegaByte in which case Ill need to reach out and see if they can help. Problem with area is that if speeds are raised too high than the connection gets really bad and cuts out a lot. Box is at other side of town according to OpenEir map so made that's it

Where are you located approximately? Currently in Louth, Collon.

What NBP intervention area are you in? Currently listed as not eligible

Are any nearby premises included in the NBP intervention area? Yes, An estate in the area has it but not all of them for some reason, Just the ones near the end of it. It mad though since the houses on the road leading into it has fiber but not the ones in it.

• Advertisement

Above 30 Mbps you're outside the NBP. Your FTTC cabinet is located at the exchange (CON1_EO1) in the centre of town according to the open-eir map. Unfortunately you'll have to wait until open-eir rollout fibre to your location, no way around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Might be worth investing in a decent VDSL router? I assume you're using the stock Eir router? Asus have a range of routers :

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/Modem-Routers/All-series/filter?Category=DSL-Modems

Might stabilize the connection on the high end.

Advertisement