Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

It sure is,when Russians say they dont intend to do something,they usually will,like Invading Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

One would have to wonder what would have happened had they had a few thousand of those little consumer drones rigged up with explosive and flying when that 30km convoy was stuck near Kyiv for a week or so. They would have been sitting ducks. I'm sure they took out plenty as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shame their Government is so **** in most other ways

They should settle their differences man-to-man and one-on-one. Do away with all this need for war and killing of innocents.

Just organise a Putster v Zelensky dance-off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I would be amazed if anyone has supplied M270s to Ukraine; I give it about as close to a 0 chance as possible.

Lots of reasons:

• Ammo is incredibly bulky and heavy; not conducive to being airlifted and transported easily into Ukraine.
    • Gives Ukraine access to much longer range precision strike capability than any of their existing arsenal.
    • Are significantly more complicated to operate than the unguided Soviet MLRS systems Ukraine uses.
    • Requires dedicated and heavy reloading equipment.

It would be amazing for Ukraine to have that capability but I just don't see it happening anytime in the near term.

• Advertisement

Thats true,or the switchblade kamikaze drones that came to late to the fight

But its not over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Should be easy to drop Molotov cocktails with a simple impact detonator on them. Cheap!

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

As deeply unpleasent as the footage is - the fact that Russian soldiers are being killed is not really surprising.

The area the soldiers are occupying seems to be a farm area with house's and sheds. In several scenes there appears to be animals running loose. I'd say any chance of those animals surviving are close to zero

Its evident that all structures have been wantonly destroyed, either burnt, blown up and taken apart by artillery.

These scenes are endlessly repeated all across the areas invaded by the Russians and looks like the Russians are going for a scorched earth policy of leave no structure standing.

God help anyone still in Ukraine who have yet to meet any of these Russian cnuts.

Dont think the M270 is any harder to operate than their own Vilkha M

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They really are amazing hilarious bits of kit, especially if they are being supplied with the master drone.

Absolutely one step closer to Skynet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Estonian PM Kaja Kallas says that in her opinion Russia should be driven all the way out of Ukraine and right back to the Russian border - otherwise they will try and spin things as they having won the war and their aggression will have paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Putin claims to be the hard man.. black belt in judo etc

klitschko should challenge him to a UFC fight. I wonder would Putin's ego let him ignore the invitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

That Estonian PM actually comes across very well. Very calm and collected, conducted herself very well from what I have seen.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ammo is bulky but comes on pallets that are easily transported by heavy lift aircraft( C17)along their launchers much like all of the heavy artillery currently flowing into ukraine via Poland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Just on a point of order: we shouldn't give Poland a pass on all of the frankly awful stuff the PIS government have been doing to undermine the rule of law in the EU recently.

I know all posts on here are full of recency bias but the POles have been pretty bad EU citizens in the last few years before this war kicked off. Second worst after Hungary.

To be honest, I'd love to see Zelensky climb into the ring with Putin. I'd say he'd give him a right hiding.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Putin's daughter (albeit no Ivanka) didn't lick her fancy dance moves off a stone. The Putster was "KGB funky-style" champ for 3 years running. It's also the most important class they have in their training so the competition is fierce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Just regarding your airlift argument, they might not have come directly from the US. The US Army has several large depots in Germany, including Coleman Barracks in Mannheim or Germersheim Depot outside of Mannheim. Both are close to major highways and railway lines. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the US were beginning to dig into these for heavy equipment. It's easier to ship replacements from the US to Germany via sealift ships than it would be to fly M270s into Rzezow or other staging areas.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

By rights, Russia should get off every bit of land that is internationally-recognised as Ukraine. However, I don't know about LNR and DNR, but I would say that a lot of Russians regard Crimea as an integral part of Russia. 'Who cares what Russia thinks?' - yes, but Putin could use entry of Ukrainian forces into Crimea (or maybe even LNR and DNR) to say to his people, 'Russia is being invaded by Nazis!' and use that to stir support for god knows what.

So, yes, in principle I support the idea of Russia being driven right out of Ukraine, absolutely, but in practical terms I would say that the Ukrainian government would be pretty happy just getting things back to Feb 24 in terms of who holds what territory and then negotiate from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

you mean their opposition to LGBT stuff ?

vast majority of people dont give a sh1t about that , those are luxury beliefs which get relegated when real problems arise like the Ukrainian invasion

• Advertisement

If he's that worried he could welcome the Russians into mother Russia as refugees to keep them safe ,the donbas region should be turned into a Mariupol ,and think about it the Donbas region had no history of wanting to break away until Russian military forces moved into the areas and the original leaders of the region were all FSB agents sent from Moscow , while there is a large number of Russian speakers not all of the population claim to be Russian

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The thing of it is that Putin is not that worried about ordinary people, generally, so humanitarian actions wouldn't be that appealing. The idea of Ukrainian forces entering Crimea or LNR/DNR he'd just see as a handy excuse to escalate things. Zelenskyy, for his part, is not so maniacal. I think he'd be happy to even push Russia back to the lines of control prior to Feb 24 and negotiate from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If Putin was to make a trip to the UN in New York then nobody would be able to touch him.

A trip to Indonesia though and shouldn't be too much trouble to get something arranged via The Hauge and an arrest warrant of some kind for him. Either Indonesia would have to follow it, or the plane taking him there has to be very careful on exactly which airspace he flys through on the way or the plane would be forced down.

He'll appear via zoom though, and various people will walk out of the room when it happens.

The comment about airlifting was primarily about ammunition; but also relevant further down the supply chain and not just in terms of getting the ammo near to Ukraine but transporting through Ukraine.

Here's a bunch of artillery shells; with one "pallet" consisting of 8 shells. Granted these shells also need propellant so for the sake of argument let's say each "pallet" could consist of 4 shells and 4 sets of propellant.

And here's a single 227mm rocket pod containing 6 rockets:

A very rough guesstimate might be that you could fit about 8 pallets of 155mm ammunition into the same amount of space as a single 227mm rocket pod: so that's 6 227mm rockets versus approximately 32-64 155mm shells depending on propellant needs.

And there are other considerations such as it being possible to move artillery shells by hand and load them into any manner of vehicle; but 227mm pods require cranes or modified forklifts and large flatbeds for transport; dedicated loading and transport vehicles etc.

Anyway I'm not saying it's a deal breaker by any means; just pointing out it's one of the arguments that could be used against supplying NATO MLRS systems such as the M270 or M142. Especially if we consider Ukraine are running short on 152mm shells and its crucial they start building up stores of 155mm shells around the country in the near term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

And you know what comes after Skynet 🤖 ☠ ☢

Did you ever stop to consider that you're just so biased towards Ukraine you can't approach anything in this thread in an objective or impartial manner?

The video you posted as "evidence" is literal false Ukrainian propaganda; it's from a training exercise in Germany and was copied from this source video:

It is entirely possible to fully support Ukraine and at the same time do so without just immediately believing every bit of positive news whilst claiming every bit of negative news is made up and spread by Russian bots.

I think they can take donbas and a good part of Crimea especially if he's losing the numbers being reported 20,000 + dead and another 40,000 casualties that's a fair chunk of the Initial 100,000+ he invaded with ,the morale of the Russians is falling on a daily basis and they don't believe they are there to save Russians from Nazis , where as the Ukrainians and fighting to save their land and peoples from foreign aggression and oppression again ,

Their backs are you and as seen previously with the Minsk and Minsk 2 agreements Russia will break anything agreed on and try to sieze more land .

There can only be one outcome ,the removal of all Russian forces from Ukrainan territory including Donbas and Crimea, otherwise this will be a never ending conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

I would absolutely agree with her there. Wonder is she saying that publicly just out of hope for an idea scenario outcome or does she have some intelligence that suggest that is actually an attainable goal for Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dunno about that. Whatever about Crimea, the LNR and DNR have been shelling ukraine for the last decade. I'd say they want Russia out of there.

As for Crimea, most of the population, that are left after the Russian take over, appear to want to be ruled by Russia. Plus Russia's black sea fleet are based out of there. I can't see Russia returning it without a huge fight. And it would be no holds barred. I'd say it would be like trying to take Kaliningrad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement