Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I thought Max started okay, but really had a 'mare as the half progressed, culminating in that no-pressure OG and then lots of misplaced passes after that. I'd have hooked him for his own sake if I was his manager. I actually felt sorry for the lad.

I didn't see or hear of anything dodgy that the Rovers fans were doing, apart from the lad that ran onto the pitch at the first goal to celebrate with the players and goad the Bohs fans. Can you post what you mean by "disgraceful stuff"? I read elsewhere a Bohs fan saying something about "criminal damage". I was watching the WatchLOI stream and didn't see anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Flare thrown on the pitch from the Bohs end........Or maybe that was a Rovers fan who sneaked into the Jodi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ah I was in Dalymount in E so probably a lot of stuff not shown on the telly.

Match started late as rovers end kept throwing flares onto the pitch, I think the net was set on fire. Threw them on after the goals too, which kept delaying restarts, ripped the hoardings/advertisement boards, threw bottles at Burt when he was injured. Mannus had to ask them to stop. Some lad just randomly on the pitch for a while. Garda/Stewards almost beyond useless bar that one lad who was arrested.

Shouldn't really distract I suppose from the pitch, we didn't really look at the races til promise came on in the 2nd half and provided a different option. Switching off after we got one back is diabolical though, but giving away soft goals is a recurring theme at the moment.

I actually didn't see that, though probably was more due to where I was sitting.

You're theory may indeed be correct though considering how many flares they managed to sneak in to the Des Kelly, it definitely does seem plausible.

Ah right, they didn't show any of that on the stream. I was wondering why the KO was delayed: the commentators were saying it was because "players were after damaging the nets" and I was like "what?"...I must have heard wrong, they must have said flares, not players 🤣

Some dry wit there out of you (hopefully). The flare was in the corner of the pitch where the players run in at half time. It was red too. Our fans and your own can go OTT at times...best to acknowledge that.

Ah tbh, that was way down from where I was so I genuinely didn't see that. If that's the case, that's the case.

Still way over the top from the Rovers end though, sure I think they almost hit Mannus with a few of them.

I could see both clubs not selling away tickets for a while for this fixture, which despite all the shite, would be a shame as the atmosphere is usually on fire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Good to see what looks like Bradley's first eleven on form be picked and control the game. Kavanagh, Watts, Burke and Gannon should be waiting to take their opportunity if form drops. Surprised Omochere didn't start..

Flares are not a big deal, but I'm so sick of the crap between the two sets of fans in Dalymount in particular. Hyping up the hostile atmosphere beforehand and clutching their pearls afterwards. The no man's land between them has been a problem since 2011. It would almost make you miss the Connaught St end.🤨

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The stewarding in that end was a joke, lads ripping up seats and throwing them around, ripping up the advertising hoardings, there were lads literally standing on the pitch unopposed for about 5 minutes. Lads throwing flares at volunteers and James Talbot, setting the next on fire.

A stadium ban has to be the only option but would probably be appealed and a small fine issued. This isn't there first rodeo for the "minority".

• Advertisement

Got the email from the club there, so presumably something is going to have to happen as a result of this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yeah we'll get fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

They were all warned they could be searched on the way into the ground. How did they get so many flares through the search or were any searches carried out?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

I roll my eyes at the garbage written and spoken by the hacks and ex-players before our games against Bohs, trying to "market" the fixture that they regard as the golden goose.

If anything, when it comes to Bohs vs Rovers in Dalyer, they're about 20 years late in terms of the quality of atmosphere (back when the original SRFC Ultras were operating and knew how to hold a flare without fùcking it at your own keeper).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

In fairness to Bohs fans theyre fond of de aul rodeo themselves....Ive been in Dalymount when Bohs fans piled onto the pitch and ran across to the way end with not a bother on them. Flare(s) were thrown on the pitch from the Bohs end on Friday but it would appear who ever was searching the Rovers fans werent arsed to do it properly.Would take the horror and the disgust from UCD, Wexford or Bray fans but not from you lads up in Phibsborough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Gutted not to take a point last night from Sligo. Despite Evan Weir's best efforts, we definitely deserved a point.

The team is getting better game by game and we have the best keeper in the league in Sam Long. What a player.

I was surprised by Sligo though. They were superb in United Park earlier in the season but seem to have regressed. Even with 10 men, we were comfortable enough until a last minute penaly box scramble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great support over from Drogheda. Made noise all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Shocked to hear of the death of ex Limerick FC goalkeeper Freddy Hall at the age of 37. Passed away after being involved in a car accident in Bermuda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Re Bohs v Rovers. Dundalk were fined€1200 after the recent Louth derby i dont know what drogheda were fined (if anything)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Andy Lyons should have gotten a yellow. Sad to see that type of simulation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another fine win for City tonight against 3td place Longford. Gap appearing between us, Galway and the rest.

Shamrock Rovers fans should take a leaf out of UCDs book when it comes to fan behaviour. They were both very well behaviour tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We both appear to be pulling away alright. A well deserved 3-2 win for us at Treaty tonight, coming from 2 down to win it late. Credit to JC for his changes just after the hour, they worked and got us over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Just the two wins for Harps this season, both against Shels! Keeps us in touch anyway, and who knows what could happen as the season progresses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic win for us at Pats tonight.

Really controlled the game. Pats offered little.

And Sligo did us a favour too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Derry were very good but we were a shambles. Tactically we played into your hands with the three at the back and the ponderous setup play which allowed ye to press effectively. Not Clancy's finest moment this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Drogs and UCD in 2 of our next 3 games which are all crucial too. Thought we really need 5 or 7pts from those 2 and shels to stay in touch so good start.

Poor game, Great result. Not sure either keeper made a save. With so many out, Webster long term, n'zyei another big long term loss you'd expect, didn't have much confidence. We don't have much depth to carry injuries and our inevitable suspensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Devlin going for the fans singing “We want Devo out” in Wexford today 🤣 The club are a mess again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 goals in 4 second half minutes enough for City today. Playing and scoring well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

They were singing we want Devo out all through the game. Bray are like ourselves (Wexford). Not lacking in commitment, effort and and some talent. If you want more than that, you need money. I always find Devlin as an open, honest and grumpy LOI man. Calls it as it is.

I think some of the Bray fans who came down today had little interest in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It seems that a fans bus was refused entry to the ground at the request of Bray. Devlin has no excuse for his behaviour, the chants will only be worse at the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

It was an entertaining match in Ferrycarrig today. Much different vibe around Wexford FC today than there was the last time I was there in 2019. More optimistic and a lot more younger fans there.

Bray fans were noisy and there was a lot of Devo out chants. I missed the trouble at the end but I did see a group of Bray fans lighting flares and holding a banner just before the entrance to the ground as I was driving out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good, solid win for us against Longford this evening. Another improved performance too, level of performance has begun to improve markedly in recent games. Really is looking like it'll come down to the games between us and Cork to decide who'll go up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Collie O'Neill left Cabo last summer. Was last coaching at UCD, bizarrely enough. The colleges teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The fans were allowed in

Collie was there with Bray today

Devo owes our stewards an enormous apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

After Friday I'm worried... losing twice to yourselves as you've mentioned and failing to beat UCD so far this season. Was a long bus journey home from Donegal after that kick in the teeth!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I see transfermarkt has him joining Bray in Jan of this year actually. I know he'd left Cabo, but didn't know he'd effectively gone back this season

Question for the Rovers fans, is there serious rumours that Bradley might be considering leaving?

• Advertisement

I always look at these jobs as not really that much of an improvement.

He is thinking of moving to a team near the bottom of the 3rd tier.

At Rovers I would say he is working with better players, is in Europe each year and will win trophies.

What's he going to do at Lincoln? Like all others who move, he probably hopes he does a decent enough job that he'll move on to a slightly bigger club, and rinse repeat until he is in a decent job. But chances of all this is slim.

Unless the money is a lot more, which I'd also doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

When I saw the rumours yesterday my initial reaction was that Bradley shouldn't take it, English football can be too cut throat and he could end up unemployed again within a year. He seems happy at Rovers, he has built a great squad who should give Europe a good crack this season and you'd imagine that could provide very lucrative if they managed to get into the group stages. His stock would be higher then too should he want to move on at some stage.

Then when I started looking into it more today as the rumours intensified I thought it actually does make sense for him to take it. Rumours of £150k+ salary which will surely be a nice pay increase, Lincoln seem to have a supportive board who do like to give their managers a bit of time, they've good facilities and a fan base while also he would get a full pre-season under the belt. Rovers is the top job in Ireland so if he wants to further his career he is going to go at some stage. While it might be lousy time to leave from a Rovers perspective, it probably makes sense from his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Would that leave Robbie Keane on the scrapheap or would he see it as an opportunity? He's definitely not in line for the Irish job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Disappointed if he left us halfway through the season with Europe still to come. He has a contract, see it out and then move if he wants without taking the coaching staff Rovers have built up over the last few years not to mention taking our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

He'll go if he is offered the job. They all want to try and crack England and he has won it all here.

He is still well connected at Arsenal and I suspect that he'll have a career in UK football once he gets his foot in the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

I'd be surprised if Bradzer left and imagine he could be testing the waters or angling for a raise. If he does go and assuming Mcphail stays then Robbie must be in the reckoning as they are pals. Rovers chairman Ciaran Medlar also would have represented Robbie for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Wish it were so but the difference is night and day.

Fulltime pro league for a start.

He'd be one promotion away from the Championship and a bumper pay day for himself. He mightnt do that with Lincoln but he could impress enough to get a job at the likes of Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland etc all decent gigs.

From his own financial perspective he'd be doubling/tripling his wages from what he's currently getting at Shams and thats with a bottom half League 1 side.

The European argument doesn't hold water as a reason to stay here when any of our teams can be out of it a few weeks after entering.

They should go for Keane as they'll get him for free as the FAI are paying his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

FWIW I think if Lincoln offer him the job he'll take it, & my gut feeling is they will & he'll be off. I just hope he doesn't take all his coaching staff with him or it'll leave us rightly goosed, its one thing replacing a manager, its another ripping out a backroom team that's been developed over a number of years.

There's also the chance he'll come back & take a couple of our better players too (Jack, Danny & Andy Lyons spring to mind) which could set us back considerably. This day was always likely to come, I just hoped we'd get at least another title out of the team before it did.

Thats football though & unfortunately we're a small pond that is open to having its best people tempted by our far bigger neighbour.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh they were let, but by the wexford lads, so fair play to them. The whole thing since the takeover has beena shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bradley is a fraud and will get found out once he isn't in charge at the most attractive team for players with almost infinite money to sign whoever he wants from around the league.

Irish Neil Lennon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement