Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

With the greatest respect I know where and how it was where I grew up. I can tell you that the house I grew up in was purchased from new in the mid 70's and was exactly how I described.

People did have it worse whether you accept it or not. You may not have experienced it but I and a lot of my counterparts did.

You hit the nail on the head. People want there "forever home" but don't want to purchase it.

We as a society cave into this hence one of the reasons the housing sector is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Me and others don't begrudge what others have if they are young, old, poor or rich. If some older folks have done well, fair play.

However, if older people are lobbying en-mass, stopping developments, pressurising local governments to not build any new homes within their vicinity least their own property value may be affected, then **** them.

They are pulling the ladder up after themselves. The very homes they lived in were built by some developer and it was a greenfield before then. They cannot now turn around and say, we want our area to remain as in forever.

The cities are desgined terribly, should be an area designated for high rise

Who do you think should pay for the increased building regs now so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

In 2010, the place we rented had frost on the inside windows. In 2011, we bought a house with single glazing and it is still single glazed. No big deal and probably more healthy.

However, if you cannot understand that residents might be concerned by a council development scheme of 881 social houses, the mind boggles. From my perspective, it's bad for the tenants too. A mix home owners and tenants would be much better.

Of secondary concern would be things like traffic, schools, crèches, etc. The council often do not seem to proactively plan, tbh I have lost nearly all respect for the council, so it's no surprise that locals meet to discuss big changes in their community.

Perhaps it's council policy to be arrogant and unsympathetic but in my experience, residents group meet and push back against grotesque plans and a compromise is reached, e.g. a library added or something.

In the dundrum instance, why not start with 400 social houses and see how it works out. Also, gather metrics, look at previous massive developments that have failed e.g. Fatima mansions, St Michael's, ballymun, etc. and learn from them. To me creating an 881 high rise social housing development seems like madness and something that'll probably be knocked down again in 30 - 40 years having been a huge failure but hopefully I'm wrong. Glad to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,664 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You had it worse, in an oddly (and significantly) substandard house

The actual numbers show that the majority of people did not. Houses were so much cheaper (proportional to income) that the higher deposit was much easier to achieve, and the lower mortgages never reached the same level as they do now - even at peak interest rates. Those are facts, not opinions.

Well then 1800 houses in my estate were all the same (you will be able to identify my location based on this detail alone).

And this situation and the build quality etc can't be as unique as you think.

Kilnamanagh? Wherever it was, it was built to a price point (and hence standard) well below what everyone else was doing. You can find house ads for bog standard houses in bog standard suburbs from the 1960s referencing central heating for instance.

That wasn't normal. And the house was still much, much easier to buy for a young couple (even on a single salary - maybe not a single person though as you usually got paid more when you got married back then) than any house is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have been here before. They are two different products.

Mid 70's house. Probably had central heating, but no insulation, single glazed white deal windows. External doors white deal as well. No kitchen appliances. Owner bought it unpainted with no lawns or carpets, curtains fitted kitchens or wardrobe's. Single bathroom in the house

2020 new house. Modern heating system. Triple glazed windows. Insulated and airtight. Bathroom, ensuite, toilet downstairs, fitted kitchen and wardrobes. Fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, hob etc. Paved car spaces, garden landscaped

Along with the deposit you spend the next 5 years making your house a home. I had a sister married in 1978, they finally changed the teak for PVC double glazed windows in the late noughties. People in there sixties, seventies and eighties have spend there lives turning the shack's they bought into the houses a lot of this generation are jealous of.

House prices seem mostly a Dublin and large urban center issue. The peculiar thing is that there was opportunities between 2012-2016 to buy property and many turned there noses up at it.

I was watching a BidX auction last Friday and saw a two bed house go for 95k in a rural town 20 ish miles from Limerick. There is still cheap property around if people look, but it will not be next to Mammy and Daddy

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The house as described in the 1970s is the same as everyone else had at the time. The only difference now, taking the assumption that a new house is the same as everyone else has, may be that the builders rubble in your garden is buried and seeded over - its rather a stretch to call that "landscaped". Rare to even have a front garden now. You're still going to spend ages spending to fit the house out - just with an even lower % of your income left. (as an aside, my cheap 1972 house had a built in wardrobe in each room. Not fitted as you'd think of now, and I don't think it was common. You're also over-egging the standards and included kit on a new build)

People buying their first house in the 70s and 80s in general did not have it harder than now. Ridiculous edge case examples don't stop that being true.

Correct as was every other private estate in Tallaght built in the 70's.

I suspect similar happened in other parts of Dublin private housing estates built around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

My sister bought a new build last year. I assumed all the windows were triple glazed but they’re not!

There are actual books that cover how poor quality the houses were there compared to everywhere else - its in the The Making Of Dublin series for instance. Edge case, nothing more than that. Standard houses sold at the same time were vastly less 1930s in standards.

Remember that Tallaght was thrown up with no services and barely even basic transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The number of new homes making it to market is reducing from a third to a quarter

The state alone is taking 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

every generation has some advantages over the preceding one in some shape or form , those who were born in the 1950,s had it better than the generation before them and so on

the over seventies in Ireland however largely have it great , the state pension is extremely generous and politically they are untouchable , I dont know if I would be in favour of the idea of older people being almost forced to downsize but there is absolutely a stark generation divide in terms of wealth and political problems are absolutely going to arise as a consequence , im not saying we need sweeping big state intervention but we absolutely need to think outside the box and bin this dopey idea that the elderly in ireland are poor and destitute as their army of Quangos who represent them claim

the elderly in ireland have never once put the younger generations first , the bank bailout was in many ways about protecting the wealth of the older generation , populist sentiment would have us believe all of the bailout money went to Roman Abramovich

beit when wealthy pensioners demanded they keep their medical cards in 2009 when the axe was being swung left right and centre or other me fein demands , the elderly in ireland have always thrown irelands young under the bus in order to protect their own interests , now we see it with rampant NIMBYISM re planning for houses , unfortunately politicians have backed them and often with the support of the broader population , we need to stop always prioritising the older generations , they are largely very comfortable , poverty levels are smallest amongst the elderly regardless of the blowhard opinions of Valerie Cox etc or other salary drawing quangocrats earning a living portraying them as Bob Cratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No sign of his Germany attack article. He may have thought better of it.

Always take a side, says dmcw to his kids, (even if you don't know which side to take). Too many rushing to take sides about things they don't understand IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

All you ever hear about here is the " poor and vulnerable " the same people living off the worlds most relatively generous welfare state. Paid for by an absurd taxation system of low paid workers, being hit with a fifty percent marginal rate. This is the problem here, one section are massively overburdened. As good as no lpt, water charges, huge amounts out of the tax net. I domt know why any one, young or youngish without attachments, would stay here...

You are going to have a low living standard , so that others are comfy and living off the back of your hard work...

We are a very soft headed people and instinctively buy into the caricature of the destitute pensioner

• Advertisement

if modular homes becomes a normal thing in Ireland, it could increase supply and reduce costs.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/0426/1294518-building-industry-ukrainian-refugees/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Interesting. When you say standards, do you mean the buildings themselves or the facilities such as central heating, windows etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Is there anything stopping us from selling homes in shell format as in the 70's. Most buyers are coming from poor quality rentals, having a shell allows you to improve

Regarding insulation and efficient heating systems. The cheapest way to do these things is during construction. Could a tax/charge be formulated so that these things are paid for overtime. If the Payback for an efficient home is 10/15 years. Paying it back over this time period is effectively 0 cost

How would these 2 measures reduce the cost of construction?

The other major problem is in the 70's, your mortgage was serviced by predominantly 1 income. Today you need 2 plus looser lending policies. In general in the 70's you got a bigger house and garden. You would have assumed that the addition of a 2nd income plus smaller homes on average would cover the cost of improvements in "quality"

The issue here is how do you balance affordability improvement with the industry hoovering up money that is thrown at it. Ie any extra money, greater efficiencies, better ways of doing things is captured by increased land values, profits rather than greater affordability.

This is a choice, how come it's the very small minority benefit at the cost of the vast majority in democratic nation(s).

It must be a seriously powerful lobby and when you consider that all these lobby groups are headed by former politicians (investment funds, banking, construction sector, land owners)

The problem is obvious, we are looking to the very people that are the problem to solve it. Pages of blaming old people are a convenient distraction for them

Specifications primarily. Though there were plenty of houses around built to a poor structural quality too leading to huge damp / mould issues. There still are!

Things that you might be able to cut costs down on a new build are limited. Return to non integrated kitchen appliances and hence don't supply them. Tile less surfaces.

There really isn't much more you can do unless you reduce energy standards and I don't think this is that time to do that.

There is something to work with in your idea of putting some of the energy efficiency works in to a separate charge - the insulation maybe not but solar panels and invertors that so many new builds now have for instance.

Perhaps entirely to be expected but from observing price movement, the upper end of the apartment market is relative value ?

Stunning two bed apartments near 100 sqr metres in Dublin 2, 4 and 6 for 800 k where as you will pay 450 k for three bed tereaced house in the posh end of Cabra

Obviously huge competition in cheaper bracket but we're I betting on strong increases in the next two years, it would be the Google- Facebook city centre based executive end of the market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In the 70's trades people only earned fairy average wages. Most were enjoyed directly by a builder on site. As houses were more basic there was less need for certification or professional input in a house.

Most builders never used engineers. You had a lot of small builders providing basic housing. The like of McDonald homes who build 6-10 basic bungalows out of a book. You picked your house, they applied for planning and 6-8 months later you walked in the door.

Developers build in much smaller stages. There are as no need for security on site( if someone took a barrow of sand it was not a huge loss. If he was building a wall he get the builder to drop a few bales to him.

There are away less small schemes around of 30-40 houses.ost developments ate of a hundred plus houses. I. The late 80's a friend bought a house.im a development. The developer/ builder had 2 different house types a three bed room and four bedroom house. He was building 6-8 at the time. It took.him 3-4 years to complete.

These guys are now virtually all gone. In Limerick city there is really only two developments at present one in Raheen and one in Castletroy/ Monaleen.

It's got so hard because of planning and legislation it's impossible to build. For a developer now to build it will be 2+ years before he can start after he buys the site.

He can no longer build 5-6 of the houses, sell these and then build another 5-6. Mass development could be adding 20-50k/ house to costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Councils should provide serviced sites in towns and villages allowing people (and families) to build their own homes.

The cost of just starting a building has gone through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

from holiday homes to significantly restricting short term lets government is forced to consider all kinds of measures to address the current homeless/refugee housing crisis...

someone in a previous post mention expropriation at this stage anything could be possible to owners property rights..

https://www.thejournal.ie/holiday-homes-ukraine-madigan-5752392-Apr2022/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Any B/C rates city centre apartments are good value right now. I mentioned the same observation earlier.

sherryFitzgerald couldn’t sell a100sqm apartment in Shrewsbury square for 740k. These are almost a rated (b1).

3bed houses of same size out in Sandyford near M50 are almost the same price (650-700k).

It’s not that the apartment is cheap, it’s just fair priced. While the D rated houses are just overpriced. Ireland has a peak in the age pyramid around 35-45yo, ie families with small kids who need a house and are all forced into the same “trade”.

Advertisement