Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Weckler has stated multiple times he's an NBP proponent. NBI are lagging, he's simply stating the facts. And there's no cost to Joe Taxpayer for the SIRO/Eir rollouts, so they don't need to be scrutinised the same way NBI are. As it should be. It's up to NBI themselves to explain the delays, and they've been doing a better job of that with the recent invitations they made to various outlets to explain the delays/complexities.

Eir’s main private fibre broadband supplier, Siro, says that it plans to ‘pass’ 770,000 homes in the coming years.

Presume "supplier" actually means "competitor"

@johnnyboy08 I see some new RSPs in the Tipp DA too! Along with Aptus, it looks like Magnet+, Airwave, and Premier Fibre have been added for my Eircode. 22 providers now!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

EIR struggled at the start if their rural rollout but eventually got there.

SIRO struggled at the start of their rollout and never got there.

NBI is struggling at the start if their rollout but will get there eventually. Whenever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Meanwhile in Kerry the Healy-Raes ensure they get their constituents wired up fast contrary to what the NBI website says, the Kilgarvan Exchange was pushed back to April - June 2023 from July-December 2022 initially, nothing on the ground locally done yet other than surveying so a September live date is very optimistic and they must know something Joe Public don't.

Post edited by theguzman on

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Time will tell.

They don't know anything more than anyone else but they like to promote themselves given a chance 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Corr, my parents place has just transitioned to preorder. Time to tell them to get the CC out :D

West Wicklow, Blessington DA, Manor Kilbride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Gone pre order in my area also (East cork( but when I select Vodafone as the provider the Vodafone website tells me its not available ?

actually, while it is avaialble for pre order as of this morning, and a load of listed providers given, when you click on pretty much any of the providers they are all showing as something along the lines of "not available yet, give us your details and we will contact you within the next 12 months (vodafone).

You would think at this stage that when moving to pre order they would at least sync up with the providers they are listing as available!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

Digiweb were the only supplier who were taking "pre-orders" in our DA last year. I had to wait until it was "available to order" before Vodafone/Sky/Eir were able to process an order for our Eircode.

I've said it before, but the "pre-order" thing seems like a total con. It means nothing, it's just a way for NBI to boost their stats for the media/Oireachtas committees.

Most suppliers can't/won't allow you to place a pre-order. There is no clear timeline in terms of how long a premises will stay at "pre-order" before it goes live. And as far as I can tell, there is no actual benefit to pre-ordering as a customer, because KN don't start scheduling appointments until the DA is live anyway. Three different suppliers told me that being "pre-ordered" doesn't secure you a place in any sort of queue, in fact if you happen to place an order on Day 1 of go-live you'll likely skip ahead of all the pre-orders for that DA because the system is not optimised to automatically convert pre-orders into actual orders, it has to be done manually and that's reliant on the suppliers being on top of it. Which none of them are.

Pretty sure the pre-order thing does guarantee some degree of a place in the queue. Within an hour or two of my DA going live I was rang by KN to arrange my installation for a Digiweb pre-order I'd placed 4 months before-hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I'm also in the Blessington DA but further south and have been on preorder now for more than 120 days :(

I preordered almost immediately with Sky and was even given an install date (we'll see if it transpires).

My time for going live is April -June 2022. What's your parents go-live date range?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

It could also be somewhat automated status change:

Notice the day they've gone pre-order. Its last working day of April.

Before and after:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

what part of east Cork if you don't mind ? Midleton DA ? , im in Cobh and down as Mar/May and hoping its not too much longer .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Same, April-June '22

Sky can't seem to figure out where they live based on the on-file address, and don't seem able to understand or use eircodes. Which is understandable to be fair, it's only been 7 years :(

What sort of prices were they quoting you ? Mum and Dad already have Sky TV so I could see a possble avenue to decent pricing there.

Yeah, I'm Middleton da, apparrantly the link to mahon is being tested and commissioned next week, so hopefully not too far off

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...the system is not optimised to automatically convert pre-orders into actual orders, it has to be done manually...

Nope. A pre-order placed on NBI's system automatically converts to a product order once it's ready for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can we not just use Elon musks starlink and do away with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NO, satellite delivered broadband will always be inferior to fibre optic direct to the home. Cheaper to the subscriber too.

€35.00 pm for 500Gbs with a 12 month contract.

Spoke to vf today, nbi states ore order status but voda does nit reflect this, they said to check again over the next few weeks but they see it is on the horizon just nit in their system yet. They expect an installation around end of may to end of june.

Digiweb gave roughly the same timelines but are more expensive.

Vodafone pricing if 35 or 45 a month seems the most competitive pr is there anyone else offering around this price point ?

• Advertisement

Sky. €35.00 pm for 500Gbs with a 12-month contract. BB only.

Surprise, surprise......

National Broadband Ireland hit with financial penalties over delays

‘NBI failed to achieve a number of milestones which were to be delivered under the 2021 interim remedial plan,’ according to the Department of Communications

The company behind the multibillion-euro National Broadband Plan (NBP) has now been hit with financial penalties by the government for delays to the project that were within its control, correspondence shows.

National Broadband Ireland (NBI), which has the contract to bring high-speed broadband to more than 550,000 premises around Ireland, has been subject to “appropriate sanctions” for delays to the project since February 1.

https://www.businesspost.ie/infrastructure/national-broadband-ireland-hit-with-financial-penalties-over-delays-63079f48

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

I'm not sure this means they've had to pay any money.

There are two points. Yes, they've missed milestones in 2021, and yes financial penalties start from Feb 2022. If someone has the full article they might confirm whether NBI have missed milestones since Feb 2022 and how much they'll have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Great to see the progress being made. The difference this could make to rural Ireland should not be down played. I think the next crisis we are gonig to see though is people not being able to afford decent broadband. I am with Virgin and they are charging me 71 a month for 500mb. Eir can only offer me up to 100mb which I believe will max out at 80mb. I might have to go with it for a year though. I like many others can't sustain another price increase. Sorry o little off topic but I think it's relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

Hi Wexfordman2#

Try adren/eurona. They're offering the NBI FTTH packages at €45 for 500Mb or €57 for 1Gigabit.

https://www.ardenbroadband.ie/fibre.html

It's a topic not often discussed here @Gusser09 , so it's good to bring it up. If you're with Virgin, you're probably in a city/town? So hopefully Virgin will see competition from Eir (Urban Fibre) and Siro in your area at some point. If you don't mind me asking, are you in an apartment or house? I only ask because there's usually an incumbent (like Virgin) in an apartment complex, and competition might not be an option....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

A little bit more on this from the Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/national-broadband-says-details-of-its-fines-may-be-commercially-sensitive-41615789.html

The company, responsible for rolling out the state-backed fibre broadband network to over 500,000 households over the next five years, has been issued with fines covering three and half months of its most recent 12-month rollout period. A spokesperson for NBI said that details concerning the fines may be commercially sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i have kn circet guys calling out at the end of the month to connect / run the line to the house, does anyone know how they connect it, wire to the gable of the house ? or along the phone duct ? if its the duct i have work to do, they put up a new pole and the duct needs moving over to it, only about 6 foot but itl be messy work, its in the middle of a hedge not easy to get at,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Which would you prefer? I'd guess both options are possible with a new pole and duct on your property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

cheers, what i was asking was will they / do they run a wire to the gable from the pole, we have a reciever on the gable

for broadband and the wire is already there from the attic down through the ceiling to the router

so it would be handy if they would go in around the same spot

i just dont want them to turn up, decide somethings not ready for them , and leave again

Advertisement