Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Wait, are you looking for me to solve all the ills that may or may not come from immigration, here, on a post on boards. Thats not very likely now is it.

But I will say that there are ways to address each issue that are inclusive, respectful and do not harm anyone in the process.

Take for example, avoiding ghettoization. Ireland created our own natives ghettos with the likes of the Ballymun towners, O'devaney gardens, the Rahoon flats/Castlepark in Galway city etc etc. We learned our lessons and instead of lumping all council housing together, social housing allocations in new developments ensured we had a more diverse dispersal which prevented such ghettoization from re-occurring. This breaks downs where there is insufficient housing available as has been the case for the last while and is only going to get worse in the short term, however the medium to longer term is starting to look better with the likes of the LDA stepping up to get into the construction business. Its yet to be seen if they are only going to build what will become Irelands new ghettos though. That would not be a smart move for anyone

I'm under no illusions there will be challenges and issues however none are showstoppers and just require working through the problems as they arise.

As i said, learning from others is the smart thing to do and will allow us to avoid issues in advance. That trends and patterns are discrenable is a good thing as measures can be taken to adjust those trends and patterns

So nobody is allowed to come here at all? What about EU citizens?

Except that both Poland and Hungary have rather significant migrant populations. I think the problem here is one of perception. Neither country accepted the EU approach to mass immigration, and instead, sought to regulate those who came in, ensuring that their native populations were protected.

They were condemned for not falling into line with the "open arms" approach.

Both countries are going to have problems with multiculturalism, the same as the remainder of Europe. It's just going to happen in a different manner, because the overall topic is still not understood, or adequately managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm just pointing out where your reasoning goes, don't blame me if you don't like it, it's your reasoning.

EU citizens (of European origin and culture) don't cause multiculturalism failures - mostly because they are not that multicultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Why should we even take in people who don't contribute? Ghettoization happens from people sucking of the tit of the state, they can't afford to rent or buy because they don't earn enough, so the state then has to come in and save them. If we took in a higher caliber of immigrant we wouldn't even have to worry about ghettos.

The "trends and patterns" are already here, you seem to be speaking like we're planning to start taking people in when we've been doing a large amount of that already, especially in the last 10 years or so. Denmark is a nation that is genuinely learning from their own mistakes and Sweden's, yet I'm sure you'd be outraged if we implemented similar polices.

At the end of the day, you've no solutions, no substance, just some generalized nonsense about "learning and growing", which isn't too different from "love and compassion", "being an empathetic and decent human". None it actually means anything, it's all hot air.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I think the distinction is whether you're looking at the situation in the short or long-term.

In the short term, multiculturalism appears to work. In the long-term, it's a dismal failure. Which is why we're constantly seeing deflections away from looking at the problems manifesting as a result of the introduction of foreign populations, especially as those populations grow in size.

Neither do SE Asians.. because the expectations are different. If we were to analyse the differences in culture and expectations between migrant groups, and use that as a basis for selecting which groups should be encouraged...? But we can't because that would be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'm under no illusions there will be challenges and issues however none are showstoppers and just require working through the problems as they arise.

Entirely depends upon what your definition of 'the show' is.

because they are not that multicultural

Sorry, I have no idea what that means in the context of the EU population , can you clarify. What are you thinking about when you use the term "multicultural".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As i said, learning from others is the smart thing to do and will allow us to avoid issues in advance. That trends and patterns are discrenable is a good thing as measures can be taken to adjust those trends and patterns

And nobody has. Show me a single example of a country that has. There isn't one. Show me a single example of a country where the same racial/ethnic trends don't play out. YOu quite simply can't find one. Many have tried social housing allocations too. The major problem with the multiculturalist lobby is their sheer bloodyminded refusal to acknowledge basic human nature*. Take ghettoisation. People overwhelmingly want to live and be around those most like themselves and they form neighbourhoods/enclaves/ghettos organically. Whether that be along ethnic, racial, religious, or even wealth lines. They do this throughout the world. Pick a multi ethnic society and you'll find a Jewish quarter, Russian quarter, little Italy, Chinatown, Irish areas like Kilburn in London, Boston in the US etc. You can't make people live where they don't feel comfortable or make those around them accept them as their "own". You can move one or two families into an area, but you get to a point with numbers where the original community start to move out. This is how you get "White Flight" and indeed wealthy "Black Flight". You can see this in areas with no ethnic/racial elements. If for whatever reasons an area becomes less well off and more less well off people move in, the more well off start to move out. No racism required. Add obvious skin colour/ethnic differences and that trend accelerates. Again, nobody has come close to solving this and other problems. To do so would require going against human nature and that won't work, or it won't work for long.

*This is a broadly "left" and "right" difference. The "left" tend to see people as blank slates, nurture over nature and all can be solved accordingly. The "right" see people as nature over nurture and think problems can be solved accordingly. Both are simplistic and wrong headed, though the "right" appears to work more often because they do take human nature into account.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Where would little Italy, Chinatown etc be in Ireland? Is there any such grouping like this presently?

Anybody who wants a view of what Europe will be like, need look no further than Lebanon. A Christian state in the middle east that had successive waves of non-Christian refugees.

Parrelell societies created by viscious chauvanistic cultures are bad things and should be prevented, by mass deportations if necessary. However some communities who dont integrate, seem to cause no problems for their host countries, think orthodox Jewish or Greek, Shias/persians in the west, koreans, etc

It's less than 40 years since most western nations were chauvinistic cultures... and those cultures could easily swing back to being that way in the future, depending on how things develop and the eventual pushback. As for being viscous, the eye is in the beholder.

The problem with parallel societies is not down to differences in culture, but in population. There have been small enclaves of just about every cultural group in the west for centuries and there were few problems. When there's only a few hundred (for example Turks) in a populated area where the native population is in the thousands, it's impossible to extend their cultural norms on to the native group. The fear of reprisals also comes into it, as most cultures would be required to keep their heads down against displays of tribalism, and mob behaviours. The natural birth rates involved ensure that populations remain pretty much the same, as intermarriage between cultural groups is discouraged as that group seeks to retain their cultural identity, rather than being dispersed.

The issue with modern migration patterns is that populations of that group will increase. There's no stopping it from happening, and as the populations increase, the ability to influence the local area around them also increases. More people means more protection against the mob and tribalism. More people means a greater ability to operate without much contact with the native group.. furthering the divisions that exist.

That is why we're screwed. There's no limit being placed on overall populations of particular groups.

And I agree there are some cultures who don't cause trouble but honestly, I suspect that's due to their own history and cultural development. Korean is a very very inward looking culture group. Their forays outward have tended to end badly, and the superiority that Koreans feel racially/culturally tends to encourage them to fixate on each other rather than seek to dominate others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No problem with others. Except during Ramadan there seem to be a lack of responsibility with my muslim housemates. No cleaning or going to shop for buying household stuff. I bought mine BTW.

Relevance? No, I'm genuinely curious. How does any of that relate to what's being discussed?

"No problem with others". Such a vague thing to say... care to put in some effort and be a little bit more specific, or perhaps descriptive so that we know what you're on about?

Also notice the same at work during Ramadan. Get shafted with their work

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Responding to the title. Said I had no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

they exist in Ireland too, at a smaller scale. Italian communities, Spanish communities, Brazilians, they all have their own connections because that's what happens naturally when you move to a foreign country. We dont have actual Italian oe Spanish ghettos, but there are certainly tight communities of same nationals in Ireland, especially in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Indeed there are such communities all over the world, many Irish ones too.

But you didn't express any views on multiculturalism in Ireland. You've got no problem with others. Um. great?

Oh lord, I really do have to laugh at boards sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭livingdgx

We don't have the concentrated populated areas where both business and residential are mixed. The problem in Ireland is the focus on houses, which means that Irish cities sprawl.. which makes it difficult to see concentrations of ethnic groups, except in the dense residential estates.

You see it somewhat in Dublin with streets dedicated to particular international cuisines, but there aren't the residential areas nearby to really support them, in the same way, as you see in cities like London, or.. whatever.. because the availability of relatively cheap housing through apartments allows such to happen. In most European cities there's a greater emphasis on the store or restaurant being on the ground floor, and there being apartments above. You used see this alot in Ireland prior to the 80s but it's declined a lot, except in the more "provincial" cities like Galway, or the smaller towns.

It's worth remembering that migrant groups typically can't compete with the native population in terms of purchasing power until a few generations have passed, which is why areas such as Chinatown would originally have been in poorer areas, but may have improved within the last couple of decades.

Then the last piece of the puzzle is that Irelands migrant population has only really grown substantially over the last 30-40 years. That's nothing compared to other countries who have been dealing with it for much longer, and as such, such areas are far more established and built up. However, we're starting to see it happen in our cities. Mostly because it's sound business sense to dedicate streets to particular cuisines, or orientation.. but the effect remains the same, with a division being encouraged within different ethnic groups.

Which is why I always find multiculturalism so interesting. There is so much emphasis on having more ethnic diversity, but at the same time, that each culture should be seen as being distinctly different. Which is fine in the short-term, but what about human nature and tribalism? What about the lack of unity, or the lack of perception about being Irish, or American, or whatever? What happens when you have dozens or more ethnic or cultural groups who all see themselves as being different, and all wanting a different outcome for the nation? Where's the sense of coming together to be one nation under God (or whatever)?

It's just so damn short sighted.

Which is why I always find multiculturalism so interesting. There is so much emphasis on having more ethnic diversity, but at the same time, that each culture should be seen as being distinctly different. Which is fine in the short-term, but what about human nature and tribalism? What about the lack of unity, or the lack of perception about being Irish, or American, or whatever? What happens when you have dozens or more ethnic or cultural groups who all see themselves as being different, and all wanting a different outcome for the nation?

Not sure that the decision has to be one or the other. You can be Irish, migrate to China, marry locally, have kids, play in the local GAA team, go to the local Irish bar for pints on a Friday night and out to a local restaurant on a Saturday night.

Same for different groups wanting different things. That's literally a functioning democracy by my definition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

A government policy over 20 years has been to distribute refugees and asylum seekers around the country to avoid ghettoisation .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

There's a bit of that but a bit of the other too. Anyone whose ever been to the likes of Jobstown will attest to that, as half of the population seem to be African. I'd argue that it likely has the highest concentration of Africans in the whole country, and funnily, while the native underclass and the African imports live alongside of each-other, I see little mixing. The natives keep to themselves and Africans keep to themselves for the most part. On the other end of the scale, in our academic institutions you largely see the same pattern. You'll get a bit more mixing due to woke people wanting a black friend, but for the most part it's much the same. I suppose I can't speak for all colleges in Ireland because I obviously haven't been to them all, but DCU was like that only a few years ago, so I'd guess that it's much the same elsewhere.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

So, instead they encourage it to happen in places like Longford instead.. which leads to natives leaving the area. Longford was always a rough town, but it's become rather nasty over the last decade. After all, it's easier to ignore it happening in the countryside. Out of sight, out of mind. They did the same with Travellers before the migrant populations starting rising, which is why there's often so many problems in those areas.

Advertisement