Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so will you be as brave me and put all your worldly possessions on them😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Nah. The odds aren't attractive now.

Ukraine (if they make it), Netherlands and Greece are dead certs. Norway should be safe from public votes alone even if the juries tank it, and I'm inclined to think Portugal should be safe too for the opposite reason. I enjoy Iceland and hope it gets through too but if only one of Iceland or Portugal can make it then I'd be inclined to go for Portugal.

I disagree about Lithuania being terrible, I think it's got a nice retro feel to it that might make it stand out and she seems like a good, charismatic performer. I'm inclined to think the juries will appreciate it. I'm also thinking Moldova will get enough public goodwill to go through, even without Romania's guaranteed 24 points.

Austria and Switzerland are the big two question marks; the former has been generally well received but has the potential to be a car crash live (I am slightly biased because I really dislike it!), while the latter has had lukewarm reception but could blossom live. Slovenia is another one that's hard to call, the Eurovision reddit seems to have a lot of love for them but it might just be because they're so young that people find them endearing; not sure juries or the general public will be as bothered by that though.

I doubt there'll be room for both Croatia and Armenia, and my gut feeling says the latter will get through.

Bulgaria looks like a no-hoper (even though I don't think it's as bad as people say) and I can't see any reason Denmark could make it through either.

Latvia might have had a better chance in Semi 2 but I think Moldova and Norway will overshadow it when it comes to the "novelty song" votes.

I totally forgot about Albania tbh. Yeah, that'll probably qualify even though it's very "meh" to me.

So right now, my predicted qualifiers are (in alphabetical order):

Albania, Armenia, Greece, Lithuania, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, Ukraine.

If Austria does actually sound good live then they will probably qualify, and I think Lithuania may be the one to miss out. If Ukraine don't make it AND Austria is terrible, then Lithuania will qualify and there's room for one more, which I think would be Iceland.

For Semi 2:

Sweden is obviously sailing through and probably winning this semi.

Poland should be safe, though it seems a bit underwhelming live and needs some work.

Estonia is probably safe, although I think he should lose the silly cowboy staging.

Czech Republic is a strong studio cut and should go through as long is it's not a disaster live.

Finland will qualify, if for no other reason than trading off the love for "In The Shadows" 20 years ago!

I'm inclined to think Serbia will make it: definitely gonna get high scores from the voters/juries in the Balkans and I think it'll be unique enough to get enough support elsewhere to push through.

I'm leaning towards Cyprus making it through, it has an ethnic flair to it that will distinguish it in this semi.

Australia and Azerbaijan are in the same half and I think the former will make it through at the latter's expense (though one can never rule out Azerbaijan buying/cheating its way to the final anyway. 🙄)

Belgium seems like jury-bait and no doubt he'll sing the hell out of it, so that'll probably be safe.

That leaves one spot.

I'm gonna rule out North Macedonia and Montenegro as I can't imagine either of them getting enough support.

I also think Israel and Romania might cancel each other out: if you had the Israeli performer with the Romanian song then it would probably make it through, but as it stands neither is strong enough on its own to really deserve it.

I'm hoping Malta doesn't qualify: changing their song for a generic sickly sweet "feelgood" song is such a cynical move and I hope it backfires regardless of how well she performs it.

Georgia is a complete unknown: nobody knows how it's gonna come off live, and it will either pull a "Midnight Gold" surprise or finish dead last.

That leaves Ireland and San Marino. I'm gonna be stupidly optimistic and say that Brooke springs a surprise with the staging and nails her vocals, and Ireland makes it through (albeit in 9th or 10th place).

So alphabetically:

Australia, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Ireland(!), Poland, Serbia, Sweden

If Ireland is a disaster then San Marino will probaly go through instead, unless Georgia turns out to be a blast onstage in which case they might squeak through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Semi-Final 2:

Qualification:

Czech Republic

Poland

Sweden

Estonia

Finland

Australia

Romania

Belgium (borderline)

Azerbaijan (borderline)

Cyprus (borderline)

NQ:

Israel

Georgia

San Marino

Montenegro

Serbia

Ireland

Malta (borderline)

Macedonia (borderline)

The first six on my list, from Czech Republic to Australia are the only ones I'm very confident will make it through, it gets a lot trickier after that. Azerbaijan is pretty poor but I reckon the juries will sneak it over the line. Romania is mostly terrible but I think there'll be enough televote support to get this through. Cyprus is a standard fare ethno-pop Eurovision song but there's still something of an audience for this. I think the juries will love Belgium but I think the televote support won't be there.

Israel and Montenegro are dead on arrival I reckon. I think San Marino and Georgia are in trouble also, but as mentioned above we've yet to see how the latter is live so perhaps they could spring a surprise. Serbia is just too weird to garner enough support from anywhere outside the Balkans imo, although high votes from Montenegro and Macedonia could potentially get it close. I actually quite like the Maltese song and think it's good enough to qualify, but I'm not sure if even the suspiciously generous juries will be enough to edge it over the line.

I'm trying to make a case for Ireland making it but I just can't, the song isn't strong enough, and the reviews from her performance in Barcelona last night weren't exactly glowing. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised with decent staging after last year's horror show, but right now I think it's another year of missing the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Never thought I’d say this but I’m loving the Irish entry! It’s very modern contemporary pop, sounds a bit like Sia or those kind of artists. Didn’t know of Brooke before this but sounds like she is very well known in the pop circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

I think the standard this year has turned out to be pretty good (after a very iffy start).

Italy didn't really do much for in the early days but it's probably my favourite now.

Conversely, I really loved Sweden when it was initially revealed but I'm a little bored with it already. But I suspect it will be challenging for the win.

The one song that I truly hate this year is Lithuania!

Not getting the love for Spain on various forums. Sounds pretty generic to me. But I wouldn't begrudge Spain a good result.

Latvia I despised at first. But it's growing on me.

I can't see Ireland qualifying (but I hope I'm wrong).

My Top 10 at the moment would be:

12 points - Italy

10 points - Portugal

8 points - Iceland

7 points - Czech Republic

6 points - Greece

5 points - United Kingdom

4 points - Poland

3 points - Australia

2 points - The Netherlands

1 point - Armenia

Post edited by delboy85 on

Running orders

Good to see both Latvia and Israel being given the death slots they deserve 😈 Although I think it matters less in the SF's.

Not sure what to make of Ireland's draw, I mean they put us on as early as they possibly could. A lot of the weaker songs are in the first half, so Ireland could sound decent coming after them. On the flipside, we'll likely be memory-holed by the better songs that'll be yet to come. We'll only be a borderline qualifier even if we do make it, so best we can hope for is great staging. Or at least something resembling decent staging after last year.

Ireland essentially opens the second half of Semi 2, it'll probably be on after a commercial break. Coming after the break and before North Macedonia's rather dirgey song might not be a bad draw for Brooke.

The weirdest thing in that draw for me is Armenia being chosen to close the first semi. Like it's an ok, pleasant enough song but it's not exactly the usual high energy closer you'd expect. Would have figured Austria or Norway would have had that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Not a great slot for Ireland it must be said, thrown on as early as possible given our second half draw. I suppose we shouldn't complain too much considering we got the latest first half slot possible last year.... for the all the good it did us. Cyprus on just before us is a nice song but the staging might be a bit underwhelming so if Brooke can bring energy and personality to her performance then all hope is not lost. Being followed by North Macedonia is not too bad an outcome either.

Other observations;

Switzerland and Azerbaijan have been screwed over. The producers obviously don't want too many male ballads in the final. Slot 4 is new Slot 2.

Armenia is a surprising closer for SF1. I thought either Austria or Norway would close but this will help Armenia qualify for the first time since 2017. It is a catchy song and I feel Rosa Linn could potentially be the Common Linnets (The Netherlands 2014) of 2022. Watch this space....

Speaking of The Netherlands, I feel S10 has been the biggest winner of the running order. A soothing, ethereal ballad after a run of 3 uptempo songs. With a strong performance and attractive staging she could win SF1 which would set her up nicely for a good slot in the final.

Poor Croatia, they always get screwed over even when they draw second half.

Latvia looks a goner. They needed a better slot to increase their tele vote as the juries are gonna bury them.

Good draw for San Marino, straight after that Maltese cheese fest.

Serbia despite the early draw will stand out, which could memory hole Finland and Israel

Australia have been given a great shot at qualifying. I hope they don't though... I can't stand that song.

Poland and Montenegro being beside each other is a bit strange, why not have Ireland, Romania or Estonia to break them up. Poland will qualify but his chances of winning the SF are reduced. It feels like SF2 is set up for Sweden to win...

Czech Republic closing will boost their chances if the vocals are solid. Closing a SF does not guarantee qualification, see Latvia 2017 and Denmark 2021.

Bring on the rehearsals!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

Was one of the better performances on the night. The sound was a complete disaster, none of the singers could hear anything in their in-ears, to the point that towards the end of the night, they started using the full studio versions of the tracks, with vocals in them, rather than the instrumentals.

It certainly wasn't a great performance, but she dealt with it considerably better than some of the other acts.

I do hope they do something different with the staging though, I feel like she's being let down on the staging/wardrobe front, and wonder how much support she's getting in the background.

I think she's in with a shot of qualifying, but shouldn't trouble the top of the leaderboard in the final.

My top 5 would be Sweden, Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic and Greece.

Post edited by fitz on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Agree the production and choreography are terrible here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I think its between Italy and Sweden.

I feel an upbeat song with a good perfromance could beat them but there isn't much in line except maybe Norway and can that really score well with the juries?

Ireland currently last in the SF2 qualification odds. Jesus. Surely we can't come last 3 years in a row? Hopefully Brooke can deliver a strong performance so even if she doesn't qualify she won't finish last.

I think a ballad is winning this year, one of either Italy, Sweden, Poland, Netherlands or possibly Armenia. Juries will prevent Ukraine from winning. The only uptempo song I could see challenging is Austria if the vocals and staging are on point. There will have to be at least 1 uptempo song that does well with the juries although it is difficult to stage EDM entries in Eurovision due to the 6 person on stage rule.

• Strongly considering getting tickets for the semis or the Final.

I'm looking for a bit of advice as to what to expect transport wise after the shows?

ie: will there be all-night trains, buses and taxis to towns close to Turin? Thanks.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you as I've never been to any Eurovision nor Turin. There's plenty of Eurovision communities online, particularly Digital Spy, if you need help from people in the know.

Did you get any tickets today @Chauncey Gardiner?

Anyone else ranked their top 40 with the gerbear sorter yet?

1 Sweden

2 France

3 United Kingdom

4 Czech Republic

5 Estonia

6 Armenia

7 Ukraine

8 Poland

9 Spain

10 Croatia

11 Netherlands

12 Ireland

13 Norway

14 Malta

15 Germany

16 Greece

17 Austria

18 Australia

19 Romania

20 Slovenia

21 Azerbaijan

22 Switzerland

23 Cyprus

24 Belgium

25 Portugal

26 Finland

27 Georgia

28 North Macedonia

29 Italy

30 Iceland

31 Albania

32 Moldova

33 Serbia

34 Montenegro

35 Latvia

36 Denmark

37 Lithuania

38 San Marino

39 Israel

40 Bulgaria

Think this is a reasonably accurate way of doing it, although I'd actually put Czech Republic ahead of the UK. Ireland are also overranked, but quite happy with my bottom two 😈

Anyone's thoughts on the songs changed in recent weeks? Armenia have shot up my rankings recently, think it has dark horse potential. Also liking Croatia a lot more, think it's a certain qualifier now. Sweden will be very hard to dislodge from my #1 ranking though.

• Hi ya, thanks for that. My daughter and her friends got tickets for the first semi-final Jury show on 9th May. As its the week before the big event, they've also been able to get hostel accommodation in Turin. I'm sure it will be some experience.

• Advertisement

I've just used that gerbear sorter. Very accurate for me!

https://esc.gerbear.com/sorter2022.htm

1. Italy
    2. Portugal
    3. Poland
    4. United Kingdom
    5. Czech Republic
    6. Australia
    7. Greece
    8. Georgia
    9. Iceland
    10. The Netherlands
    11. Serbia
    12. Armenia
    13. Cyprus
    14. Malta
    15. Latvia
    16. Norway
    17. Sweden
    18. Denmark
    19. Azerbaijan
    20. Albania
    21. France
    22. Croatia
    23. Austria
    24. Ukraine
    25. Ireland
    26. Israel
    27. Montenegro
    28. Belgium
    29. North Macedonia
    30. Germany
    31. Switzerland
    32. Spain
    33. San Marino
    34. Estonia
    35. Moldova
    36. Finland
    37. Romania
    38. Bulgaria
    39. Slovenia
    40. Lithuania

Duplicate post.

I tried that sorter, surprisingly accurate. My top 40

1. Poland

2. Serbia

3. Ireland

4. Austria

5. Italy

6. Armenia

7. Czech Republic

8. Iceland

9. Sweden

10. Norway

11. Cyprus

12. Romania

13. Portugal

14. Netherlands

15. France

16. Finland

17. Estonia

18. Greece

19. Spain

20. Lithuania

21. UK

22. Ukraine

23. Germany

24. Latvia

25. Albania

26. Georgia

27. Belgium

28. Slovenia

29. Denmark

30. San Marino

31. Croatia

32. Malta

33. Azerbaijan

34. Montenegro

35. Switzerland

36. Israel

37. Bulgaria

38. North Macedonia

39. Moldova

40. Australia

I originally had Czech Republic as a top 5 contender, but pretty much everything I've heard about her live vocals have been atrocious 😬

Yeah, I fear for both Austria and Czech Republic. The live vocals have not been great alright.

Italy

Poland

Portugal

Sweden

Norway

Netherlands

Greece

United Kingdom

France

Spain

Australia

Bulgaria

Latvia

Lithuania

Belgium

Iceland

Slovenia

Azerbaijan

Finland

Armenia

Denmark

Estonia

Serbia

Romania

Austria

Cyprus

Albania

Czech Republic

San Marino

Switzerland

Ukraine

Malta

Moldova

Germany

Montenegro

Georgia

Croatia

Israel

North Macedonia

Ireland

• Advertisement

1. Portugal
    2. Netherlands
    3. France
    4. Iceland
    5. Czech Republic
    6. Georgia
    7. Sweden
    8. Italy
    9. Lithuania
    10. Greece
    11. Croatia
    12. Estonia
    13. Serbia
    14. Cyprus
    15. Armenia
    16. Slovenia
    17. San Marino
    18. Germany
    19. Switzerland
    20. Ireland
    21. Poland
    22. United Kingdom
    23. Finland
    24. Ukraine
    25. Australia
    26. Moldova
    27. Bulgaria
    28. Belgium
    29. Denmark
    30. Albania
    31. Norway
    32. Romania
    33. Spain
    34. Azerbaijan
    35. North Macedonia
    36. Montenegro
    37. Austria
    38. Latvia
    39. Israel
    40. Malta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This story about The Roop and Brooke Scullion is pretty bizarre.

They seemed to attack her for daring to play a gig in the Kremlin........the kremlin being the gay club in belfast..... they have since apologized seemingly

I think they made the mistake of thinking she was performing in the actual Kremlin 😅 Either way, pretty embarrassing for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Anything has to be better than pyjamas. Maybe some cardboard trees...

• Advertisement

Intrigued to see Ireland's staging. Rehearsals start next Saturday 30th April. Ireland's first rehearsal will be on Tuesday 3rd May. The rehearsals I'm most looking forward to seeing, along with Ireland's, are Netherlands, Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia, Austria, Greece, Finland, Cyprus, Poland and the UK.

Getting close now 😁😁😱

Have never been a huge fan of Brooke's song but I really like this version (the Eurovision House Party version). I think it's much stronger than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4KuLYWVBnU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Rehearsals start at 9am! Here's the schedule for the two weeks ahead:

So it's the first nine songs of Semi-Final 1 up later today with Ukraine and The Netherlands probably being the main highlights of day 1.

Can anyone see an unheralded song shooting up the odds during rehearsals a lá Rise Like A Phoenix, Fuego etc? Nobody immediately jumps out at me, but I do think both Armenia and Croatia are being overlooked and have top ten potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Saw a clip of Brooke on the Late Late Show, her vocals are ok but did they go and change the backing music and ruin the song? Only saw around 30 seconds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

A truly awful song. Once again we haven’t a hope of getting out of the semi finals.

Watched the late late performance on youtube, it was not great at all. I much prefer below version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah here. Lads, I'm all for supporting Ireland and I'm quite sure ths singer hard worker and a lovely person. But this is shyte. The stagecraft and dancing cg is really, really poor. If this is anything like the finished product, then we'll be lucky to qualify.

Why is there absolute no change in pace throughout the song? No story, no catchy start and step change to a banging tune and lyrical crescendo.

I'm looking forward to the event but I'm not expecting anything from this song. Maybe it will resonate with some Europeans and manages to qualify, but i'd be surprised. Maybe there are some worse songs, who knows.

It's highest odds to qualify from Semi final 2.

• Advertisement

Yeah Ireland aren't qualifying. We're more of a contender to finish last than in the top ten. Make peace with it and enjoy some of the decent songs! 🙂

For me, i would prefer if we qualified and came last in the final. At least it would highlight that we need to up our game. I'm interested to see how the UK do this year though and if the favourite, Ukraine, will actually win.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Was looking forward to seeing Brooke perform in Turin but after they butchered it not so much. Now i am interested to see if we manage to finish last three years in a row! One consolation is that despite our poor record of late we still haven’t gotten null points. The UK entry is the one I am most interested in.

I’d be mortified to attend the contest and admit I’m Irish to be represented by that singer(?) and song(??)

Not much footage of the first rehearsals being released this year, with the brief ten-second or so clips are being uploaded to Tiktok.

However the big drama from rehearsals is the stage isn't functioning properly.

The stage has a 'sun' feature in the middle which is supposed to look a little something like this

One side of it is fully black with a lighting rig and the other side is full LED. Basically it meant delegations could choose which side of the sun they wanted to use. However, the feature is stuck on the black side with the lighting rig and apparently can't be moved, meaning that it's messing up the staging for various acts who'd planned to use the LED screen.

Check out Croatia's first rehearsal footage

They were clearly going for some type of forest LED background, most of which is now blocked by a feature that seemingly can't be moved. Not quite what you'd expect from Italy, I wonder what side of the sun Brooke had planned to use 😬

Ah, I wouldn't go that far. Its just a bit of craic.

As competitions go, it's the one I enjoy the most without being at all upset about ireland not being any way competitive. It's a bit like Great British Bake Off. I might support one competitor over a other but there's no animosity towards the other competitors. It's just good clean fun. It's a pity Ireland hasn't put together any good entries in a while, but shur, it'll be a great occasion anyway.

I'm hosting a Eurovision Party in my house for the lads and I'm really looking forward to it.

Is anyone else doing a Eurovision Party? Were just using it as an excuse to get the mates together but everyone has picked a country and they'll cook a dish from that country.

We've got food coming from Greece, Italy, England, Belgium and Netherlands so far.

Mmmmm. I don’t know. I suppose it depends on your view of the pride you have of your country.

I have lots of pride in my country but I don't invest any of it in the Eurovision. How much of your national pride do you invest in the Eurovision?

• Advertisement

Just to explain…..I’ve been at Semi Finals and Finals and have been increasingly embarrassed year on year having to try to explain to our European neighbours (that includes Australia!) why Ireland are submitting such c**p songs. I can honestly tell you in the Eurovision world at ground zero we’re a laughing stock and was one of the reasons I decided not to go to Turin this year.

Advertisement