Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House Not Built To Plan

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd be surprised if it were timber framed, if that were the case every house is likely to be missing the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

So I've contacted my solicitor and he's going to bring it up with their solicitor and we're going to insist on some resolution.

Either a door being put in or being compensated for lack of said door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

tbh I like the idea of calling a utility room without a door a "futility room"

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

let is know how it pans out! would be interested to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Did the solicitor check the contracts or did he/she just say they would send a letter to the other solicitor? I have found before the solicitor won't bother reading and just send over a letter as they can charge for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Or developer tells you to p1ss off and sells the house as is to the next person on the waiting list. Till you've signed contracts nothing is finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Contracts have been signed. See first post.

The developer has to deliver to the agreed contract or can be sued. It all depends what is in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

This has been asked but I don’t think it was answered. Is the door missing from all the houses in the estate / phase, or just this particular house?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no way this door has just been forgotten. They must have made the change as a cost saving or to alter internal layout of utility.

The physical job of making a new opening, installing door and making good all finishes is not a huge one but there is no way they will want to do it.

I'd say it's a take it or leave it scenario now being realistic.

The builder will just put forward a technical reason for the change and allow the contract to be voided if you are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

We have signed contracts and have plans that clearly show a side door on the house leading out from the utility room into the side passage.

Our house is end of terrace and all other houses of the same type in the estate have the same door included.

I spoke with foreman and he actually informed me that they had different drawings to what we signed on our contract so already we have some confirmation that the builders were working off different drawings.

I'll be following up with the solicitor tomorrow to try chance down a response regarding this.

• Advertisement

Well if the houses are all the same bar the end of terrace having a side door, you can be sure they just forgot to put the door in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The foreman is suggesting that the drawings they worked off showed your house without the door when all other houses of the same type had the door?

Someone has made a mistake here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I wouldn't look for money back I'd ask them to install the door. If you look for money off or back they will think you don't really want the door and are just chancing your arm or will take a lesser sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dar124

Hi - Does anyone know how to stop birds nesting in a gable end house ?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Daragh

If you mean under soffit at the apex of a gable, I've seen a small object blowing around in the wind do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It isn't a big job from the builders point of view

Advertisement