Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

A draw a great result. God we are bang average. Fast forward to the Brighton match please. Only way we get a point in the next 3 games is if we park the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Will take the draw. Phillips improved as the 2nd half went on. Gallagher is a diving wee fecker.

A Watford win at the weekend and in a few weeks vs Everton would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That game couldn't end quick enough. I know I said we should really try to win tonight but after watching that it's very much a point gained. Credit to Marsch for a huge defensive improvement in the team but by God we're awful with the ball. Ayling was outstanding tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Not a whole lot up front (again). Not sure where a win is going to come from. Maybe BHA if PB is back . Still a point is a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Gotta say that I like Palace. Despite Gallagher's diving and Zaha's histronics they're a likeable bunch. Great structure, love their attacking style and defensively very good. We hardly got a sniff. Zaha for me was also man of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

A new midfielder is a must for the transfer window. Koch is definitely not one.

Passing was poor, but credit to Palace with their constant pressing and didn't allow us to sit still.

A very precious point in the end, and great performances from Cooper, Ayling and Meslier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Well we aren't expected to get a single point from the next 3 games, so somewhat of a free bet - have a go. Marsch certainly appeared to indicate that that will be the approach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Last night was a truly awful game of football, both teams constantly giving the ball away. We were really poor so definitely a point gained. We never looked remotely like scoring a goal, I'm unsure what our attacking strategy was. Can't see us getting anything from the next 3 so need to hope we are in a decent position come the Brighton game.

Kudos to Marsch for putting both Greenwood and Gelhardt on to have a go at them but I can't fathom why we created so few chances with all our attacking talent. They were defensively good, but not THAT good. We still need a No. 10 alongside Kalvin to unlock defences. Klich and Koch are not the long-term answer there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Banging the usual drum here, but when we play Dallas out of position we lose so much, in the press, in attack and defensively. I thought he had a shocker last night, and was really relieved when Viera didn't send Zaha over to him for a while. When Dallas is in midfield it releases Klich, and gives us an out for our passing. He should put Firpo or Hjelde in at LB and put Dallas in MF, with Greenwood or Joffy up front. James/Harrison to fight it out. Someone needs to have a word with James - getting stuck in is one thing, but he's going to see red for one of those trademark late tackles on the defender one of these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Don't know where to start with that.So grim.

Nothing worked. We're trapped between some lads wanting to persist with Bielsa ball and others trying to adapt to the " new " system.

Our short passing was horrendeous,even the passes that did find our players put them under so much pressure that they gave it away just after. Despite the fact that they didn't score,Palace were miles better than us.Repeatedly had a man over on the wings,got into some great positions but couldn't find the final ball. Maybe it was because we were well set up defensively,I'm hanging on to the thoughts that this was the case.

Because we're now playing so narrow, several times when we were in decent positions,in possession in the Palace half,we had nowhere to go with the ball. Played too many hopeful through balls to a very one paced Rodrigo which came to nothing. Several times we conceded simple possession leading to Palace attacks.

Our optimistic friend mentioned that I was being overly pessimistic predicting that we would pick up between 5 and 7 points at best from the last six games. I'd beg to differ and call it realistic.Given our awful display last night you'd have to say that it was a point gained but unless something dramatic happens between now and the end of the season and performances immeasurably improve,it's hard to see where the rest of these points are coming from.

Palace fans were great, except for the drum.Can't stand a drum at away grounds but definitely the best atmosphere away from ER this season.That includes Newcastle. And that was without them scoring or winning.

On another note, it's not so bad when you're watching the game,after a few beers in the middle of the travelling support. It's a bit of crack and the singing and the banter keeps your mind off how bad we are actually playing. At home, on the couch on yer own, a game like that is pure torture.

Once it's over though and you're faced with the crack of dawn start for the red eye flight to get back home to get to work the next day, it's not so much fun.

We suffer on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I’m worried that this is going to come down to goal difference at the end and that we’ll fall down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

LEEDS 34 (max 49)

MAC–H–30th     ARS–A–7th    CHE–H–11th   BHA–H–15th                                      BRE–A–22nd

BURNLEY 31 (max 46)

WAT –A– 30th   AST–H–7th                           TOT–A–15th    AST–A– 19th    NEW–H–22nd

EVERTON 29 (max 41)

CHE–H–1st       LEI–A–7th    WAT–A–11th      BRE–H–15th    CRY–H–19th    ARS–A–22nd

WATFORD 22 (max 37)

BUR-H–30th    CRY–A–7th EVE–H–11th    LEI–H–15th                                         CHE–A–22nd

NORWICH 21 (max 36)        

AST–A–30th   WHU–H–7th   LEI –A– 11th    WOL–A–15th                                        TOT–H–22nd

relegation odds

5/6 Everton

6/4 Burnley

9/2 Leeds

If only Everton were max 41. Alas it's 47. It's also feels like them who'll fill the last place. I think they've done nothing notable this month bar beat Man U and I think they'll lose the next two to Chelsea and Leicester. The last three are winnable but the downward trajectory may be irreversible by then.

Hopefully for us Real keep it close tonight. A big City win allows them to use all the big guns against us. It would also help greatly if Pool beat Newcastle on Sat morning to pile pressure on City. Last night's performance doesn't inspire but how many times have we followed a poor 90 with an enhanced one? It won't be easy but don't write off our chances on Saturday. Marsch, Phillips and the others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

We've nothing to defend over the next three games. We have a massive goal difference deficit, so we can go into Citeh with a simple "have a go" attitude, which would be what Marsch appeared to confirm last night in his post match interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

One things for sure, I felt a lot less stressed when Meslier kicked it into the other half for our forward line to attack.

Passing out from the back is bad for Leeds. Because the likes of Zaha went through our defence like butter. Especially Dallas who was our worst player on the pitch last night.

I have had enough of Dallas with his poor passing, giving the ball away and bad decisions.

Stuart, put on your "Billys boots" from 2019.

One thing that has me thinking we'll stay up is just how bad Everton are. They are 5 points behind us. And in their last 6 games, they have 7 points. We have 11. We've scored 9 and conceded 7. Them, 6 & 8.

We both have Chelsea, Brentford and Arsenal.

We have City & Brighton

They have Leicester, Watford & Palace.

I dont want to be too optimistic but I dont see where they make up 5 points on us. We are assuming they will win away at Watford. They have the worst away record in the league. They have won one game away from home and it was in August vs Brighton, back when they were flying.

This day 30 years ago we won the league

What a day that was. A roller coaster game at Bramall Lane packed with ridiculous goals followed by that Mark Walters clincher at Anfield………

Most important goal scored by another team until Emile Smith Rowe 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I feel old now.😮

One other thing that I have noticed - The amount of times Rodrigo plays the ball backwards. He rarely takes the opportunity to turn and go forward. I don't know if its just him, or he's not getting the shout from team mates. Marked difference with Joffy - turn and go straight away.

Not so old Whiterebel.

I remember 27th April 1974 , we beat QPR to win the old division 1 from Liverpool.

Oddly, I've probably enjoyed the last three or four years more than the early seventies, where we came second so many times.

Oh, old alright NeedMoreGears. Went for Leeds in 1970 Cup final when they got kicked all over the Palce by Chelsea. Never looked back.

Didn't realise we have to type louder so that NeedMoreGears and whiterebel can read the messages !!! Noted

Come back here and I'll thwack you with my ear trumpet, you young scallywag!!!😁

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, I'd say most of the rest of us aren't too far behind them! I'd guess that the demographics of this thread would show it having a higher average age than probably any of the other team threads. Or to put it another way, we're a bunch of middle aged masochists. 😄

• Advertisement

That's exactly how I started, that and the fact that my Grandad knew Johnny Giles.

Met him a couple of times over the years and always let him know how he has subjected me to a lifetime of pain.

1970 ! I didnt stop crying for about two weeks!

Think I started around '89. So we won the 2nd division. Then 2 years won the 1st division. I was thinking this is great craic, sure we always win.

Oh how wrong I was

1975 was the the bad one for me. Never got over that.

The year they won promotion back to "Division 1" I managed to have a non "Top Man sponsored" home jersey and was out in the now defunct Warwick in Galway. So many people were shaking my hand, that I was almost convinced I had been playing myself! Happy Days.

• Advertisement

And '73 x 2. and Runners Up: First Division (1964–65, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1971–72), FA Cup (1964–65, 1969–70, 1972–73), Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (1966–67),

So many near misses.

Strachan's winner against Leicester with the legendary John Helm commentary was April 28 1990 apparently.

" Have you ever seen a better goal............or one better timed. "

Great days indeed.14 years at the top table on that occasion. Let's hope it's more than 2 years this time.

All my mates saying that Everton can't pick up enough points to catch us.

Praying that they're right. And if they're not.............just hoping that MK Dons don't get promoted. Can just about fathom going to Rotheram,Sunderland and Wigan.................but MK Dons.Christ on a bike.

Absolutely, but all of those (bar Sunderland) are only familiar to me from The Glory Years VHS tape. I started supporting Leeds in '73 so the Sunderland defeat was a kind of blur for a 7-year-old not fully invested in the team. The next year was obviously great but '75 was a repeated kick in the groin. I couldn't understand how the ref could miss two penalties and then disallow Lorimer's goal. Lots of tears and rage and no defeat since has matched the sheer pain of that evening.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

Yes, 75 was the ultimate sickener. We had be given a foretaste of European refs in 73 v AC Milan, but 75 was on a different level. I know there is no excuse for the carnage that followed, but when such blatant cheating was going on, yet again, it was hard to stomach. Such a poor return when you look at the history; 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup. 3 L1 titles. For a side that were better than Munich, Barcelona, Juventus......😵

Yep, that's a poor haul but don't forget the two Fairs/UEFA Cups.

And though the damage to the stadium was senseless I remember feeling at the time that I'd like to have been there to participate in it. In my defence I was only nine years old.

We'll have European football back someday.

True dat, especially when the Fairs Cup was highly respected at the time, as was the ECWC.

Reading a bit there on Drameh, wonder will he be brought back in to the fold in the summer. Ayling is only 30 so might not be put our to pasture yet. Some dont like him I know, but he is a huge part of the team and I think his impact would only be seen when he is out (much like Cooper).

Drameh is getting great reviews, nominated as player of the year for Cardiff I think, despite only being there since January. And it was a coup when we got him from Fulham, would like to see him get a lot of game time next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

jesus any under 35 posters here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yup! Just about under that in fairness. Started following Leeds cos brother supported Man Utd, couldn't be like him. I ended up with a raw deal (almost followed Everton too cos had been to Goodison Park).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Neewollah

🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️....Barely!!!

The father never gave me any other option. Another one dragged in by the 60's and 70's

• Advertisement

haha, exact same, 2 older brothers followed utd and liverpool. Still happy i followed leeds tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Just turned 36, started following in 02 when the septic tank was introduced to the Chinook

Summerville out for the season, training incident last weekend. Murderball may be gone but…….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

biggest game today is burnley v Watford , hopefully Watford can frustrate burnley.

we will get a good hiding I think

always disliked watford

Post edited by newhouse87 on

Watford doing their bit anyway, 1- up against Burnley. If it stays like this it will everton looking forward and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

God damn it, Burnley could win this yet, Watford on the ropes big time

and there it is, burnley go above us

Shocking defending for the first goal. Watford look knackered.

• Advertisement

down to hoping everton continuing their bad run, because its hard to see any points for us in next 3 games

Advertisement