Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's probably fair to say that at least half of our tax money is used on things that have no benefit to your average person. Taxes are all well and good when the state is using your money to benefit you in some way, but the Irish state spend a small amount of it on the people. On top of that nearly every new law they pass seems to make our cost of living worse; from minimum price alcohol, carbon taxes, sugar taxes, and many more things. It's beyond absurd that people even defend this stuff, but I'd bet that at least a section of them have connections to the state in some way, much like during covid most of the rabid defenders of government policy were public servants happy to get some time off.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

0ph0rce0 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Red Cross needs to lose the responsibility for this.

I didn't understand from day one why a charitable organisation was in charge of this.

Shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have to agree . An absolute shambles at this stage . House, rooms and flats empty and waiting and a lot of seriously frustrated people left in limbo

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've emailed the Red Cross on 3 occasions for updates. First time I received a standard email response saying I was in the register and they would be in touch in due course. Second time was 3 weeks ago, and 3rd time a few days ago. No response to either. I'm offering accommodation that could house 15-20 reasonably comfortably, with a 15 min walk to the railway station where they could be in central Dublin in another 30 mins. Plenty of local facilities. Got local volunteers and my employer to get the place completely fitted out with required furniture and the like.

That's up to 20 people currently in a hotel or sleeping on camp beds that can be accommodated at zero rent. In my latest email I told them they should be getting Government support to handle this. I know they already have the defence forces helping out, but they clearly are not managing things in any way efficiently

I saw something recently which stated that offers of houses are being passed onto the "Integration Department" - www.integration.ie - a quick glance at their website and their last "news" was posted over 3 years ago. I'm not sure they will be much of an improvement.

• Advertisement

We are now thinking of withdrawing our offer to be honest . We just cant trust them to handle this with any semblance of efficiency .We offered a house that would suit a large family or two families and its just lieing idle now while refugees are in a hotel down the road in small rooms

Post edited by iamwhoiam on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That is truly vexing, but not surprising. There was red flags weeks ago when they began basically openly blaming the people who had pledged for their own ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

If you house a 3rd country refugee then there is 0 chance they will return to Ukraine once they get sorted here.

The government and their charities are responsible for this mess, and dare I say it the flag wavers who are putting out all these offer's for accommodation without a thought about Irish resident's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It might be better contacting the Council wherever this place is located

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry but you cannot say that for absolute certainty. A lot of Ukrainians may want to go home.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Eirpod99

We have a lovely woman and her daughter l(from Kiev) iving with us for just over a week now. She immediately started looking for work in hotels cleaning, working in the kitchen etc. even though she has two degrees and works in H.R. My daughter (18 yrs) got in touch with her through facebook and has put 5 other families in touch with people offering accommodation. No problems with any of them, just extremely grateful people who have been through the mill looking for a bit of stability while this crap continues. Chap in Trim doing great work also housing numerous families without Govt or Red Cross intervention. There are groups all over the country doing similar, putting people in touch with each other. I don't see it being any more "risky" as there is obviously risk involved in taking in strangers. A lot of these people have fook all and just want somewhere to keep their children safe. Maybe see if there is anyone in your local area with contact details for people looking for accommodation. I would not wait on the Red Cross but I would not give up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ffs, some humans are seriously fcuked up! yes the war is a mess, and yes our actions are messy, but we must do this, we can do this, but we need the full support of the whole eu and its institutions to make it a success

I rang them first of all. They put me in touch with the Irish Refugee Council, who took all my details (they had an online register as well). Because of the size of the property I had an extended discussion with someone high up with the Refugee Council. He highlighted they were a very small charity and really did not know how they would be able to cope with the scale of this crisis

A few days later it was announced that the Red Cross would be taking all of this over. I had another discussion with the guy from Refugee Council who were asking if they could transfer my info over to the Red Cross (because of GDPR requirements) and of course I agreed. They said though that they would only pass it over once they had agreement (or otherwise) from all those who had pledged. I didn't want this to hold things up and I agreed with him that I would simply re-register with the Red Cross and when doing so make it clear I was on the Irish Refugee Council database to avoid any duplication

I might actually try and get in touch with the Integration Department after the bank holiday

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

A guy from the Red Cross was on the radio the other day, saying they take names, process and vet properties and then pass on the info to local authorities, but upon questioning he was contradictory at times. Tbh, I think there are no joined up dots in the rollout of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

but we must do this, we can do this, but we need the full support of the whole eu and its institutions to make it a success

This sounds like something out of a super hero movie or something, where the hero gives a rousing speech to inspire the people to fight against all odds. This isn't a movie though, this is real life, and actions have consequences. By "saving" them you're harming us, and if we were really a fair and just society we'd try and strike a balance, and not ruin ourselves in the process of trying to help the other. I know all this makes some people feel like a great person, a savior even, but this "plan" is as senseless as anything I've ever seen my life.

The Irish state has spent billions in the last few years, and those billions have all but been wasted, and now they'll be spending more and more to facilitate all of this. At the end of the day money isn't endless, and if things keep going as they are we'll be all but guaranteed economic ruin in the near future. Sadly some people don't care about that, they care more about how they feel, and not what happens down the road, and that's nothing but dangerous.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

me bollcoks! money is effectively endless, its just an agreement between creditors and debtors, and we must reenact the critical component of this process, i.e. debt forgiveness. yes billions and trillions have indeed been wasted, by simply using it to inflate asset prices such as property, and not using it to create new asset, i.e. new properties, this is the sh1t we need to sort out, or we ll eventually be fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But nobody can say otherwise , especially if they feel they have a better life here more financial benefits and options open to them, once settled they likely won't want to move back to ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

And most certainly, the majority of those here have children and will not want to move them once settled in school. They may, in the future, want to return when the country is built back again, but who'd leave with a financial support system they could only dream of here. Of course they'll return, to visit, but I can't see many doing it permanently.

Many of the refugees have left husbands, parents and family behind and will be drawn to go back .So many interviewed have said they just want to go home when it is safe

• Advertisement

Or the husbands will come here for family reunification,

A lot of towns and cities have been razed to the ground it will take decades to rebuild ,and many won't likely return as long as there's a threat from Russia ,

It was the same when Africans and eastern Europeans started to come here in the tens of thousands ,ah sure they will only be here a short while and then they will go home , never happened if anything the numbers increased year on year.

What I suspect is more likely is that those who have stayed behind will want to help rebuild Ukraine. Not all, of course. And it will be some time before some of those displaced will have anything to go back to. Many will have no men to go back to, or indeed come over here.

As has been said repeatedly though, they only have the right to remain for 1 year although that is likely to be extended to 3 years. After that it would probably require action at EU level, but in 4 years time Ukraine may well be on an accelerated path to EU membership.

Of course if Russia prevails then who knows what the medium to long term implications are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The social security net here is infinitely more robust than Ukraine. Things like childrens allowance are unheard of out there. People aren’t going to give that up once they get used to it and go back to what was already one of Europe’s poorest nations pre the devastation of the war.

I'm not saying they all won't but I suspect we will now have a large Ukrainian population staying on permanently , i understand what your saying about the visas but they all can also apply for asylum which will remove the visa requirements ,and we all know previous and current governments have little or no apatite to remove people here illegally or failed asylum seekers.

Can you honestly see any government here in the next few years saying right lads back to Ukraine your visa is up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The welfare and visa offer should be time limited depending on how the war situation goes. Not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

But Ireland has such a strong record on deportations

me bollocks! Interesting phrase to use.

Money needs to have value. If you can forgive a debt, especially large debts, then the value (and trust) of money declines drastically. All debt comes from investors providing that option of debt and making returns off the interest repayments. Its not a charity. It's a business transaction. It's no different for countries. You're living in some strange reality to think there are no consequences involved or the perspective that money is endless. Value is finite and changes over time due to both internal and external factors. While a superpower (military/diplomatic/economic) like the US can shrug off the debt it owes {somewhat} a small nation like Ireland cannot. We don't have the presence or power that the US has.

Spot on. Some people are perfectly happy to sacrifice others as long as the cause they champion gets the attention it requires.. better yet, that it receives more attention and resources than it actually needs, because that's being generous (naturally, generous with other peoples futures, because nobody really thinks that they, themselves, will be negatively affected by it, and even if they were, that's a sacrifice they're glad to choose for everyone). Then, there's the focus on short-term emotional stimulus, with a complete lack of interest in what happens in the long term. Cause by that stage they've moved on to a new cause to champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

It's not going to be temporary. They will be staying here. Wether we like it or not the governments of the EU countries are going all in on intergrating Ukrainians into the EU. The money should be used to build housing in Western Ukraine for the people that fled the east.

Our taxes are after doing enough for them, lets look after the people here who helped build the society we have.

funnily enough, wrong actually! debt forgiveness has always been a critical component of maintaining functioning economies and societies, as has been well explained by folks such as Graeber and hudson etc, this has been the case for millennia. we still regularly engage in debt forgiveness, in both the public and private domains, but more so in the private, particularly at the corporate level, but we ve decided that most other debts must be paid in full, and on time, or else.....

all money does not come from investors, all money is actually created in financial institutions in both the public and private domains, in the form of debt, but in recent times, we have moved more towards the private domain for this critical need, i.e. banks, via credit creation, again, confirmed by some central banks.....

money creation is effectively an accountancy activity, when banks create this money, i.e. credit, the liability is the debt, but the asset is the loan itself, then of course banks a lot of the time engage in other activities with these debts, i.e. derivatives trading etc etc

yes since we re not the global reserve, we certainly dont have as much power as the fed in many ways, but major eu financial institutions such as the ecb and the eib, have far more abilities than we think, we urgently need to unleash these abilities, and quickly, to try prevent a major slowdown/recession in the euro zone, or maybe even a crash, who knows!

but we need all eu states, and these institutions to be on the same page to do so, we particularly need major eu countries such as germany and france onboard also, we also need to create new institutions, to solve all of these issues, but virtually none of this is currently being done!

• Advertisement

The situation you describe is fine for people who own homes already, but the people looking to to buy or rent in Ireland are getting screwed over. The way you describe money is rediculous, how do you think we have such high inflation as it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement