Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I find the Russian atrocities on defenceless civilians who don’t have weapons infinitely more pernicious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Which has no relation to the context of my post but I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Biden cannot negotiate peace with the Russians because America is not at war with Russia. Russia would never agree for the US to be a peace broker because they are Not neutral politically.

America cannot use diplomacy to defuse the situation as Russia are the aggressors and Bidin certainly cannot step back and offer him any concessions to reward his aggression

Diplomatically Biden is working with American allies to squeeze Putin economically through sanctions but this is being undermined by German reliance on Russian energy

All Biden can realistically do is support Ukraine with supplies and use international pressure to discourage any escalation by Putin, until Putin decides he wants to negotiate peace with Ukraine, or Ukraine surrender, or a truce is reached

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is not in Biden's remit to negotiate away the right of another country. It would be like the UK invading us and after capturing a third of the country, the EU coming along to negotiate a solution that suits the UK.

How can you negotiate with Putin. He sits at one end of his long table telling you his demands, threatening nuclear war.

Load of rubbish. Who invaded who. Germany, Austria and Hungry mainly hoped this would go away. The rest of the former Eastern bloc countries Poland, Czech, Slovakia, the Baltic states, even neutral countries like Sweden and Finland saw the danger straight away. They knew if Putin got away with this some of them were next. France diddered as it always seems to do. This may suit the US as it gives a back door to a solution, but Macron knew after his visit he was wasting his time. The US intelligence was spot on from the start. The only pity was the weapons were not there earlier.

The West actually taught that when Russia invaded it was game up. They advised Zelenski to leave Kyiv and set up a government in exile or Western Ukraine. But Zelenski stood his ground and awaited his faith. The West could not actually believe how poor the Russian military machine. It was incompetent at all levels. It's technology was poor. It's troops morale was poor. It's leadership was poor. It's intelligence was poor. It's logistics and supply were poor. It never developed air superiority over Ukraine, which was hard to believe. As of yesterday it losses approximately are

875 Tanks.

2250 Armoured vehicles.

180 Planes.

150 Helicopters.

410 Artillery systems

I almost forgot the two boateens.

This is all Russia doing. Nobody asked them to invade Ukraine. Putin decided on a land and population grab as his own country is drying. The population is dropping by a million a year he has forced nearly a million if the Ukrainian population into Russia. He has kidnapped 100k+ Ukrainian children's who were handed over to Russian families.

So stop the propganda

Slava Ukrainii

Why can’t Biden help broker peace? People have been saying he ends up like chamberlain, is that inevitable? Why?

• Advertisement

Good post , I’ve heard some suggest that NATO should of either fast tracked Ukraine or said they prob would not be joining, dragging out them joining was a big mistake. Wonder will we see that with other countries looking to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

Another one that didn’t read my post. You started by saying my post was a load of rubbish and then added a load of text which backed up what I said.

People need to stop saying ‘propaganda’ at every post they mildly disagree with. Obviously Putin started the war. Everything changed when the west saw how weak the Russian military was and level of support increased massively. The priority of this support is to degrade the Russian military, not to save Ukraine. There are plenty of countries in the world now being ethnically cleansed and getting zero support from the west. Supporting Ukraine is correct, I am just commenting on the motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ok which one of you boardsies left the grill on last night in the Russian power station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

NATO should have declared a no fly zone in February before the Orcs had time to invade. As it is now, Ukraine must be fast-tracked to join NATO if Russia declares war on Ukraine.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She is utterly correct. If a push back momentum ever gets under way, I would consider retaking Crimea of critical strategic necessity, given how much of a part it played in all this. If the Russian speaking inhabitants don't like it or the prospect of soon being in an EU member country, free bus to the border or a rubber dinghy and a set of paddles and the freedom to paddle off and pick their preferred destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Blithering nonsense and fascist apologism. The only thing standing between Ukraine and national extinction is the support of the West.

You're (badly) providing cover for a fascist waving nuclear weapons around.

Further, the only thing standing between the West and them rolling into Ukraine to give Russia an unmerciful pasting is the threat of nuclear war.

I disagree with the west (U.S. & U. k.) not seeing Ukraine as a real country.

To my knowledge the only western leader to say that the Ukraine isn't a real country is the previous U. S. president, but his reasons for doing so weren't based in reality and due to not getting his own way, like a child having a temper tantrum.

The current administration has been warning of the invasion before it occurred and has provided invaluable intelligence and weapons.

The U. K. have been providing arms and training well before the invasion.

Some would argue that they should be doing more but providing a country and its elected government with intelligence and weapons is what has been the limit set at this time.

The EU needs some seriously tough, binding laws on media ownership that are part of basic qualification for EU membership. Hungary would need to be put on notice to comply or have accelerated measures to eject them from the EU.

The whole Nato /Ukraine has been dragging on since 1991 there is no fast tracking them into NATO ,it should have happened 20 years ago the same with the eu membership it was suggested in 91 as well , yeah they have issues around corruption which stems from the Communist regimes , even after invaded 8 year a lot of the political people , Police and military had commanders who were both Russian citizens but were only loyal to Moscow

Speaking of losses, the Russians have lost 22 tanks and 27 APCs in one day. Total tank losses are now 1,008.

Those loses cannot be sustainable in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I am just commenting on the motives.

Like hell you are

There are plenty of countries in the world now being ethnically cleansed and getting zero support from the west.

Not this shite again.

There are plenty of countries in the world being ethnically cleansed which are getting support from the West. The West however is not and can never be the entires world's Watchdog. Where are all the wealthy Asian and middle Eastern countries in these wars? Why are the "west" constantly expected to clean up the **** of despots and dictators killing their own and each other in places millions of miles from the "West"?

So why would the West support Ukraine and more importantly Ukrainian people as opposed to some other spot on the planet? Does that question even need to be answered ffs.

The Ukraine is part of the West. It is part of Europe. The Russian invasion not only seeks to annihilate Ukraine and its people, it also threatens to destabilise the entire European region, with likley further "special operations" by Russia and ultimately the threat of nuclear war which will not just impact the "west" but the entire world.

Meanwhile many many countries in the West has taken in millions of fleeing Ukrainians and are doing what they can for those who are fighting for their countries and their own survival. And what again of all those wealthy Asian and Middle Eastern countries? Nada.

Sorry, but you are a victim of Russian misinformation and this Russian SPEAKERS in Crimea would prefer to be part of Russia is dung. Zelenskyy is a native Russian, speaker, as are many in Ukraine's military.

A 2013 poll in Crimea had only 23% of the population of Crimea wanting to be part of Russia, "down from 33% in 2011."

And at the same time they turned down free Russian passports and citizenship to the point Russia stopped offering free passports in Crimea ,

• Advertisement

Looks like a Japanese fisherman was a bit careless with the barbie after pulling up on the beach for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This crap and I mean that kindly is root and branch Wallace Daly nonsense.

The notion that peace can be achieved , by what giving Russia 30 percent of Ukraine and sending zelensky off to another country so a Russian sanctioned government can be instilled in Ukraine.

It's hog wash on any metric.

And I'd say you subscribe to the notion that Ukrainian people could never have possibly wanted to join the EU and it all must be some dastardly EU plan to disrupt Russia.

And NATO were the core of the problem.

None of this has any relation to one man's insane views of owning and entire land and restoring some dream of a block from times gone by.

These views can be deconstructed even on the most fundamental level.

But Biden. But America, but why didn't they try. Zzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the Ukrainians aren't blowing it as they fully intend taking Crimea back and blowing the bridge makes that 10 times more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What makes you think that there isn't a lot of diplomacy happening in the background? I imagine there's been a pretty **** huge amount of overtime being worked in bureaucracies across the world (even food/agriculture will be affected, I assume all countries are preparing for it) and there's been plenty of effort in the background to prevent the invasion and to scale everything down.

You mention alternatives but not what those alternatives are. We can only go by what we see. We see Putin lie and smirk at the world. He does the same to Macron's face, the same to the head of the UN and then does a missile strike on Kyiv while he's there. I haven't heard realistic "alternatives" from Russia either.

FWIW I praise the yanks because they're the ones who have been behind the push for more international support. I think they should have acted more quickly but unlike Russia they are constrained to some extent by what the rest of the world thinks of them. That's how they've become the superpower, they maintain positive relations with as many places as possible. Had they flooded Ukraine with weapons from November (and Ukraine were keen not to escalate right up until the invasion so there's no guarantee they would have accepted) then the world would have seen that as being a war at least partly started by America, no amount of claimed intelligence that early would convince many people otherwise. Germany would have happily done nothing, let's be honest. The Brits likely would have grumbled but not really fussed too much had it been over in a week. The Poles would be doing everything to get NATO deployments increased.

Is that the only way you can understand people ? By comparing them with politicians or people you don’t like? Doesn’t really say a lot about your capacity for engaging or understanding a point being made.

I can think have a position about one variable/topic and another position on another.

Why did you make up words ahoy me susbscribing to what the Ukraine people want to do? Is it because you didn’t like some things I have said and have now decided I obviously share all the views of somebody else you dont like that will allow you some sense of righteous superiority in the discussion?

If you want to engage me in discussion , talk about what I’ve written , not about what you imagine I think and believe.

Crimea is connected to Ukraine by land to the north, the bridge in question connects the Eastern end of Crimea to Russia, so blowing the bridge inconveniences Russias military. The bridge was built after Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Not really, there is a bit more nuance to it than that. Issues around the EU/German gas supply was voiced before trump so he didn't "predict" anything.

Trump wanted the EU to buy more US gas, despite the US export processing being maxed out and there being issue with EU infrastructure to take delivery of LNG and transport it around the EU.

With US cracked gas being more expensive.

Then there is his stance on NATO funding.

There is also the concern of being energy dependent on the US under Trump.

He was laughed at, because people can see through his fake concern for the EU being dependent on his pal Putin.

That’s fair but alot of this is playing out on stage and the war is faught on tv aswell. I had said before that even during Cold War there was always dialogue in background so I’d be very disappointed if there wasn’t some sort of conversations

I don’t know how the UN general or Macron or anybody can stomach being in same room as Putin but it’s a necessary evil if something can come of it. I suppose Part of the problem appears to be that Biden has more to lose by trying to be a peacemaker and it failing then sending them weapons.

• Advertisement

Heart warming to see how Russian 'troops' go to such efforts to help their wounded and striken comrades.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement