Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Il respond to you here on thread and not be dealing with you via PM where you threaten me.

Your blaming america for not bringing peace.

The end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There was video early on which showed Ukraine training where they had broomsticks instead of guns, some didn't even have that though and were just holding their arms in a pointy shape and going pew pew.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You have to be able to understand what the person is saying to respond to them. Not make up lies and write what you imagine they think and believe. Stop writing what you think you know about me as if it’s a fact, respond to my posts not your imagination.

I didn’t threaten you , I threatened to report you, just so you can’t misrepresent what I said yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

"I didn't threaten you. I threatened you..."

Yet I have to be able to understand what you write before I respond....

Lad. Your having a nightmare today.

• Advertisement

What timeframe do you see Putins demise , months or years?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The last Russian leader to meet a sticky end at the hands of his people was Nicholas II. Putin probably fancies his chances of getting away with doing Putin stuff. Just blame Russia's woes on the West, be grand.

yeh, “you threatened me” has the exact same sort of menace as “you threatened to report me”. Context is everything

But well done on avoiding your lies and making sh*t up about me. Don’t know why people thanked it as there’s absolutely no proof or evidence I support daly/Wallace thinking or don’t want Ukraine having choices.

Can I make up fake things about you ? Is that ok? For me to lie about what I think you believe in? Because that’s what you did and what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It is what you were implying, which means owning up to an answer and correct your stance rather than giving out about misquoting. Words convey meaning.

I read your passage to mean that you don't want countries to defend themselves against Russia as well.

Are you actually annoyed because people thanked a post pulling apart your 'americans aren't doing peace to save Ukraine' speel.

It's the same stuff Mick and Claire are parroting. If you don't like the comparison then don't repeat their talking points. It really is that simple.

The absolute destruction you are seeing in Ukraine right now. There is one origin and he's hiding in a bunker. Let's not have people apologizing other countries aren't trying to end it. Yes ? ....

Oh and final point here for you.

A threat is a statement indicating that you will cause harm to or create some other kind of negative consequences for someone, especially to pressure them to do something or not to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Zelenskyy receiving his official St Javelin tshirts yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But what Putin bots are posting is propganda. When it is you have to call it as such.

I do not just mildly disagree I find it untrue and vehemently disagree with it. As well some posting here try to deflect blame onto western democracies which is wrong.

Slava Ukrainii

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Never said that and never said a country should Not defend itself. In these situations the general consensus is war or diplomacy. All the talk is constantly about how arming Ukraine more is the only solution.

Granted we don’t know what’s going on in background but we are only discussing things here, it’s not like it makes any difference to things if we hypothesise different strategy’s or situations so I don’t know why people get so angry so quickly. There really is a toxic element to this thread where people make false accusations without trying to understand or even tease out an idea in advance of attacking a poster.

Two months into this, why can’t Nato put “neutrality” or Ukraine not ever joining if Russia leaves on the table? Not ideal, but better then oblivion. Maybe Russia is ready to do a deal or maybe they are gonna fall, I am just spitballing.

I see why Biden doesn’t want to try to get involved in brokering a peace deal but think it’s still a plausible option.

I'll deal with your points as you are making them

Two months into this the Russians have moved away from pretending NATO or EU membership was ever the Problem. They are openly saying Ukraine isn't a country, it never was it is ours and Ukrainians are the dirt on their boot.

For clarity this isn't their TV this is their foreign office and ambassadors.

So to circle back. NATO and EU membership off the table doesn't matter.

It never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

More of a comment, but you again stated you never said something, but still haven't said that it is right for the Ukraine to defend itself.

Of course this will end in talks, for that to happen you need both parties involved, russia are not getting involved at all and haven't laid out what their position is (which I really take to mean that they, i.e. putin, don't have any). Any talks so far have been used as a military tactic for repositioning and more shelling. Anyone thinking the US can force talks is incredibly incredibly naiive.

I always take what Putin says to his people to be that he will say whatever nonsense he needs to say to do what he wants and get the support. Like riding a pony bareback.

In terms of Ukraine not being a country , he’s been saying that for awhile (not just recently I believe) but I’m not completely clear on the NATO- Ukraine dynamic.

Some people say that NATO has nothing to do with it and it’s a smokescreen to invade. Others say it was all about NATO expansion and NATO didn’t listen or negotiate.

The argument then goes that Ukraine should of been made a member of Nato quickly and this doesn’t happen.

The extreme footage of tv in Russia has been shocking. I know they are usually subjected to propaganda but has it always been that extreme about nuclear war and world war 3? Has it always been that anti west?

For the record I was in Russia once , in 2002, hated it.

Ok, well to clear up any ambiguity I fully support Ukraines right to fight, right to be free and defend themselves. I fully support any country offering support (including weapons) to help them against their aggressors.

I am just asking if filling up the country with weapons will be the right thing for the best outcome for Ukrainians (whatever that is or how that looks).

The optimist in me hopes Russia wants this over by May 9th and the support and supply to Ukraine has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And in that summary you have contradicted yourself.

This is the thing: in times of relative peace we can be a bit of this and a bit of that. The luxury of sitting on the fence. In times of strife and war, it's more black & white. You're either for 'us' or against 'us'. Because there is little middle ground when an aggressive state like Russia just fancies that it will take over neighbouring states forcefully. Making excuses for them and/or offering 'what aboutery' just doesn't wash. Otherwise you might as well just well tell the invaded neighbours to roll over and suck it up.

• Advertisement

This footage was posted many times here yesterday, but this version is just disgusting. How dying people can be used for fun (irrespective, who they are)?

The reality . The basic reality is.

If the country isn't given the means to defend itself then more citizens die. Not military. Actual people. More kids more adults more homes destroyed.

Ukraine ceases to exist. Russia is already stealing people from Ukraine and spiriting them off to Russia . Literally taking kids and issuing new Russian passports. Issuing Russian birth certs in occupied areas.

Let's not play around here . It's eradication. That is what the goal is here. Eradication of the Ukrainian identity. I'd always like to ask people . What if someone decided to take away your irishness, stamp it into the ground and educate your kids and remove their language and identity. Those that don't comply are tortured raped and murdered.

Is that not worth standing up against?

It doesn't stop at Ukraine btw. It's the doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Given the way Russia is behaving, I think we're heading into a situation of probably Cold War II rather than World War III.

Forgetting about the US/Russia history of conflict and standoffs for a moment, the problem is that the EU and Europe in a broader sense has to live next-door to Russia, a country that has just invaded another country and in an extremely brutal and irrational way. It's also a country that is continuously making nuclear threats against Western European countries and has made open threats against Finland, Sweden and several others either directly through governmental sources or through state controlled, state owned television.

It has spent years flying bombers and other heavy weapons into or right next to European airspace for no particular reason other than to be threatening and pinging radar systems and regularly carries out cyber attacks, political destabilising operations and so on. It's even killed enemies on UK soil using chemical weapons ffs.

Then you add the gas issues. How exactly are you supposed to interact with a country as a major energy supplier if it keeps behaving like this and using access to gas as an economic weapon too.

A lot of Europe, and I think particularly Germany, has been very optimistic about Russia and there was always a sense that the door was open and that it was welcome to become a friendly neighbour. That was always the aim of the European institutions at least. There was cooperation across a broad range of areas and loads of flow of investment and interaction in general. The whole focus has always been to create a friendly, safe, peaceful, prosperous post WWII and post Cold War Europe without stepping on anyone's toes and through trade and development.

The hand was reached out and all that's been returned is being repeatedly slapped in the face.

So, I think realistically we're now looking at bridges having been burned and decades of a cautious containment approach to dealing with Russia - effectively Cold War II.

There isn't going to be any attempt to 'defeat' Russia - just contain it for everyone else's safety. I think what we're going to see is Russia just being frozen out and it's the one that's doing the freezing to itself. Nobody asked for or wanted this kind of situation, but they seem to continue to live in some kind of 19th century parallel universe of empires that nobody else is living in anymore.

I think it's a sad waste of life due to the level of hostilities and loss of life this has caused. It's also a enormous waste of potential for peace, prosperity and a much brighter future in Russia itself. Their leadership is throwing a lot away, killing huge numbers of people and destroying lives, livelihoods and people's future prospects by behaving like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

''I am just asking if filling up the country with weapons will be the right thing for the best outcome for Ukrainians (whatever that is or how that looks)''

If the West did not arm Ukraine, what do you think would have happened during Putin's denazification process.

Russia of course would not have continued its attack on Kyiv or rolled through Southern and Eastern Ukraine so that it could attack Moldova.

You and a lot of the Putin Bots line of argument would be hilarious if it was not so deluded

The best result for Ukraine would have been that Russia never invaded. Next best is we help them to kick seven different colours of sh!t out of the Russian army. Not the best result but the optimal one.

Slava Ukrainii

I didn’t contradict myself. I think it’s good people are supporting Ukraine , but it’s not a contradiction to ask if primarily pumping the country with weapons the best way of achieving peace.

We support Ukraine but Ireland isn’t at war, this is Russia v Ukraine. This is a discussion thread, not a war room that is going to affect the war so there’s acres of middle ground for discussion but there is just no tolerance. There in lies the problem, some people don’t want to engage in discussions , they just want an echo chamber and if there is a disruption a bunch of you jump on posters who may not be completely on the exact same script (even if they share most of the same sentiments/goals).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

On the contrary, analysis seems to show that Russia plans to shift gears and has been working towards selling the conflict as a war rather than an "operation". I wouldn't be surprised to see an escalation around May 9th.

Really? Would that change the dynamic from the west or would it?

What does Putin gain by this, it really does seem like he has an out by claiming the East regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So he claims the east and in 6 months he announces another special operation to prevent genocide in the east again ,

The Only solution is the total removal of Russian forces from inside Ukraines borders including the east and Crimea

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement