Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya it will be a rather empty prade review stand.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Ukrainian sources have said that 29 year old Major Stepan Tarabalka was the rumoured Ghost of Kyiv and that he was shot down and killed on March 13th. At the time Russians had lost 125 aircraft and Maj Tarabalka was credited with 40 of those.

Whether the Ghost actually existed or they've simply retired a legend and attributed him to a dead pilot probably won't be clear for many years. In the meantime Maj Tarabalka has been awarded Hero of Ukraine and his helmet and goggles are due to be auctioned, with proceeds going towards the war effort

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They hate President Zelensky with a vengeance. I think they believe their own propaganda of him being a "drug addict" and a "state terrorist".

It actually tells us far more about them than about Zelensky. The President seems a warm man, high on empathy, emotionally intelligent, caring and thoughtful (everything their own cold blooded psychopath in the Kremlin isn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The US government is offering $ 10 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was listening to a BBC report about Putin building some palace with golden toilet brushes. He locked up a political rival for exposing him. In a weird way, western decadence makes him weak and puny and vulnerable. It also probably adds to his delusions of grandeur on his and Russias status in the world.

Zelelesnki being a comedian is fantastic for so many reasons, the joke is literally on Putin. Comedians , I think , are good at reading rooms and their audience. The good ones aswell can be highly empathetic to their audience. But the good ones can act the part and be what they need to be on camera. He looks the part but walks the walk aswell and not in a shiny suit but as an Everyman.

In many ways he’s shown up Putin and most of the other Western leaders , for what a truly remarkable leader will do for their country. His use of media/tv his own propaganda (he has every right to use this tool) has been extraordinary. Equally the pressure he’s put on the west and Russia has been strategically impressive.

It would of been easy for him to take the easy plane out of Ukraine and lead from a safe place but look at him on the ground leading by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You either support the war effort of Ukraine to defend itself and drive out the invading Russian army or you don't.

There is no middle ground when the level of destruction, death & misery is plainly evident.

People who sit on the fence and waft on about the USA/ NATO/ EU meddling are at nothing, you might as well sign up and fight for the Russian army.

It's as simple as that.

War is polarising.

And yes Ireland should be sending troops and weapons to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is a war of conquest and annihilation, Putin will just never settle "for the East" any more than he was going to just settle for Crimea, he wants all of Ukraine (and more). At the moment he has more territory than he did before the war, so Russia is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Clip from Estonian PM Kaja Kallas's interview on CNN yesterday. She totally has Putin's number, she can read the dictator like a book and is not afraid of him :

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

But they clearly really like cold blooded, vicious, Doctor Evil style leaders and see anyone who’s warm, empathetic and friendly as weak.

That is fundamentally one of the enormous problems in Russia. They’re constantly looking for a battle ready medieval king type of character instead of a modern political leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Who wants a wider war?

Hardly Russia, they'll be spread too thin and will lose in all contested areas. Also, they're hardly going to go nuclear against an alliance of other states.

So, a wider war might suit opponents of Russia PROVIDED THAT other *rogue states aren't **attracted to the fray.

* Yes, I know, they're only rogue from our Western perspective.

** By "attracted" I'm including supply of military aid in ANY form.

In essence, I guess I'm saying that a wider war would take pressure off Ukraine and invite wrath upon Putin's finite forces.

No it’s not that simple, what makes you think you it can make such a definitive statement like that? A person can support the supporting of Ukraine and ask questions on the support. Otherwise you blindly accept whatever the allies do in the name of supporting Ukraine. If you don’t ask questions you only know what you are told.

Not everybody deals in absolutes and sees things as black or white. I don’t think it’s healthy for consensus thinking with no room for questioning. A country Unites when it’s at war, I would expect that in ireland, but we are not at war, so we have the luxury of asking questions from a vantage point. But even at that, it’s important to have people who question consensus because the consensus is not always right, some discourse is good for society even if we hate it.

I don’t trust people and authorities who are absolutely sure in their position. Particularly when they can’t possibly (we just don’t) have all the facts of a situation. You don’t have to like a persons opinion or belief to respect then and show them some respect. My position on this, unsurprisingly, is that I am not sure what is the best thing to do or how things will unfold.

What do we know to be irrefutably true? That thousands are dieing in ukraine , the country is being levelled for 2 months. What isn’t true or a fact, is that continually blitzing Ukraine with weapons is the best thing for them. It might prove to be but it’s not clear it is.

Why do you think ireland should send Troops? I’m just asking , I always thought Irish troops were generally involved in the peacekeeping side of conflicts but then again I don’t keep up on Irish army news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry.

What is your solution here then. Because you haven't offered one. So far it's just being 'asking questions'

What's your solution here. Because you specifically target giving Ukraine weapons as questionable policy.

All ears open on your solution to this and reasons for said solution. Go.

What the actual fucj are you talking about? You're on a message board, a pretty crappy one at that, demanding a solution to a war you don't have any part in??

Like everyone else here, whether you admit it or not, you're just posting here for a bit of chat, a bit of feedback, because that's all this place is. If you actually believe you are making any difference to anything by posting on an Irish message board thread you are fooling yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Unless your questioning that the news of the atrocities we see and hear of in Ukraine are faked I don’t know what the question is?

Its gone so far beyond the stage where a debate should be had about sending weapons to Ukraine. To leave Ukraine defenceless against such savagery would be an indelible stain on humanity.

In the context of History Irelands current policy of neutrality will be seen for what it is.

A preference for spending our money on public spending and housing social welfare etc over defence. Why pay for defence when we can continue to freeload.

It won’t be viewed the same as the 1940’s neutrality which was for far more existential reasons much and all as some people like to link it back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Putin had an awful lot of US attention as he built up his forces and had Biden running about thither and yon + regularly talking with him about Ukraine, its future, and NATO etc. before the war. All proved to be a waste of time.

The UN Secretary General is not a Western leader and has no selfish interest in this except to have a peace break out. How did he get on? He went and spoke to Putin/Russian govt. Then he went and spoke to Zelenskyy and while he in Kyiv the Russian army fired some missiles (almost) on top of his head, just to make sure he completely got a clear message they are not so interested in peace right now, and are displeased he's treating the Ukrainian govt. as legitimate.

You are right though, there's little incentive there for Biden to go crawling to Putin in public, imploring him to stop the war (and likely have it thrown in his face). I think it is more up to Putin to invest some political capital himself now, make some move showing he might be interested in a negotiated settlement. Macron and some others have tried, and they still (publically) talk to Putin regularly. It hasn't helped and just makes them look a bit foolish (although I don't think they are wrong to keep trying myself).

No doubt Putin enjoyed and got a thrill seeing all the Western leaders incl. Biden rushing about and imploring him not to invade when he'd his mind made up to do it.

On the weapons/military aid aspect + why it is the correct policy to send them to Ukraine to help them fight Russia and try and repel their attack, won't go into that as others have covered it.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Explain why you are "concerned" that Ukraine is receiving too many weapons?

What's your reasoning behind that.

• Advertisement

One hopes that the general consensus of all those viewing or contributing to the thread can be distilled a little by burning off erroneous arguments and condensing more valid arguments.

I know, it's not a distillery.

Raise the common denominator if you will.

I’ve already said diplomacy and/or concessions like nato agreees to leave Ukraine out.

I had written a lot more but at a certain point somebody has to sigh and walk away.

I accept you think differently to me and I’m ok with that. I don’t share the absolute confidence and stance some of you take on this topic.

Edit:

Thanks for asking me to elaborate, that’s fair.

I meant m concerned that “let’s just keep giving them more and more and more weapons” is the goto strategy. I saw that republicans are arguing that they want more of the 33 billion to be weapons over other aid. A cynic would say there’s other factors at play with this request.

Imagine we at here this time next year and it’s still “let’s give more weapons to Ukraine”. Whatever about Putin, he’s an animal , he’s gonna be a dick, he doesn’t care about how many people will die, is there a point where the west thinks it needs to stop the killing?

People may say it’s concessions and letting Putin off but his army looks sh*t, his reputation is in tatters, Sweden and Finland probably wipe out any goodwill of bits he gets in Ukraine and by end of year the eu may not be using his gas and his economy potentially in ruins. That’s not a bad warning shot to him surely …

Didn't Zelensky float the notion of abandoning any move towards NATO membership?

He did this to prove that Putin is only interested in land grabbing.

The only way to deal with the likes of Putin is to tell him how things are.

Perhaps this has been done already - "Your subs aren't invisible, we know where all of them are at all times, here are the co-ordinates"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Throw together a list of autocrats and see how they ended up. You might be surprised. Stalin(and Russian leaders since), Mao(and Chinese leaders since), Ne Win, Franco, Mubutu, Batista(and Castro who followed him), Pol Pot, Mugabe, Idi Amin, the Kims(so far), Assad(so far), the Shah of Iran and those who took over from him, Pinochet and so on. The list of murderous, even genocidal dictators and autocrats who died of old age in their beds is a very long one. The ones that faced justice and died in ditches is a much shorter one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Tbf yous are a bit naive,the only way to ever fight a war is to escalate,escalate,escalate until one side blinks,looks to me only one side is willing to do it,so far (minor ukraine incrusions into russia aside)....while keeping door open for diplomacy and peace talks ongoing at all times

Throwing all these weapons at ukraine and giving em essentially a day course in how to use em is indeed pointless,its experienced troops that they need on the ground

Those Russian soldiers are getting more and more desperate

Okay not sure you really addressed the question. Supplying many weapons to Ukraine, what is the consequence of it that you have valid concerns about?

According to the Ukrainians manpower isn't the issue, weapons are. Which is why they are specifically asking for them. They don't have any key issues with training and so far have adapted very well to weapon supplies sent to them.

They have a standing army of 200k to 300k, and nearly 1 million with some military training. They can't speed that up anymore than they currently are. What they can do is ask for weapons they are lacking, which is what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Preparations for the victory parade are in full swing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement