Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

I came back from the UK yesterday. Customs at Dublin port stopping every vehicle asking if they had alcohol or cigerrettes in the car. At Holyhead, UK customs didnt look at us.

Good to know our customs & revenue staff are hard at work looking for a few bottles of wine & beers from Sainsburys, Morrisons, Asda, etc..

It felt like being back in the dark 80's.

Next they'll be searching our cars for condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

"criminal" was to mean "unethical", no illegal. Cans are legal alright. But the damage to the biosphere they cause is "criminal".

But I wonder if you really misunderstood or just trying to label me as a "Gay Jewish communist" or some other stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Back in the mid eighties I lived in munich, we used get a crate of beer delivered every so often just like one would deliver milk, when the crate (of about 25 bottles or so) was drank the crate of empties was replaced with a full one with the refund for empties reflected in the price... A simpler time recycling before it became a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Of course with MUP even if you could use returnable bottles or bring your own receptacle to be filled you would still have to pay the MUP price.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are cans any worse than bottles when it comes to sustainability? Both go for recycling, so I thought they were fairly equally bad. I guess the bottles are generally heavier, so there might be extra energy involved in transport.

• Advertisement

Aside from any sustainability issues imv beer/lager allways tastes better from a bottle as apposed to from a tin

Incorrect. Refundable bottles don't "go for recycling". They are simply washed and reused. And in the USSR - as opposed to Munich - the refund was quite significant too. Here is a Russian joke:

At a first school re-union, two former friends talk:

What are you doing:

• I Just finished my undergrad, going for grad. And you?
    • I started drinking.

At a second re-union:

• I finished my masters going for PhD. And you?
    • I just keep drinking

Third re-union:

• Just finished my PhD. Got a job. Work hard for little pay. And you?
    • Well, I got rich!
    • How?!!
    • I returned the bottles."

And, speaking of Munich, in the GDR (East Germany) there used to be a law prohibiting trucks from driving empty for longer than a certain legal limit.

Back in the 80's, in Munich, so did we. Carrying a create was very uncomfortable though because of the weight affecting one's balance. And, if you took a crate in each hand, they used to bump into your knees.

But now the crates have handles and can be split in two halves each with a hndle. So carrying a create is perfectly comfortable.

No carrying for us the crate was delivered to the door 😉🍻cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,658 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The infrastructure for reusable bottles requires stores to sell a much smaller variety of product and seriously limits the ability of smaller breweries to expand. It would not be possible to enforce it anywhere that isn't already doing it, basically.

I'd think that the stuff that is already sold to pubs in reusable bottles - Guinness (and Smithwicks/Macardles) pint bottles, Bulmers pint bottles (I think) and possibly still some soft drinks - should be offered with returnables if shops want to; but I don't expect any expansion there.

The change to cans from glass bottles was because we don't have glass plants here and hence have to move them empty in, and move the recycling out to be recycled = lots of dead weight being transferred. Cans are much lighter.

• Advertisement

Of course! But they didn't deliver it to a party on Flaucher or else on the Isar.

The EU could - and eventually will - establish and enforce standards for glass containers for all foods. But it will be too late for mother nature and thus us.

All excuses! It should be about food not packaging. Most beer is undrinkable already. Try Molson! Mamma mia! It's diluted shampoo in cans!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cans aren't unethical either. IN anycase, this has nothign to do with environmenalism in the same way it has nohting to do with criminality. Nor is this an LGTBQ issue or a semitic/antisemetic one. I never mentioned either of those issues; so I'm going to say I misunderstood your use of "USSR" on the basis if I'm still nto sure why you brought it up and I'm guessing you aren't either.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So your issue is more with the containers the alcohol comes in, as opposed to the price of the alcohol?

It is also worth pointing out that MUP itself would be considered quite unethical to many, as it is introduced with the knowledge and intention of only affecting those on a lower income.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Just noticed my Newry bought Lidl Perlenbacher cans are smaller and lower alcohol content. Anyone know why that is?

At risk of coming across as dreadfully middle class, we have things called glasses in this house.

Great story, but we don't have refundable bottles in Ireland, so I was just wondering which is the least harmful option.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Hi, 440ml cans at 4.5%. 99p each. Used to be 500ml can at 4.9%. Wouldnt have bothered buying them if i`d realised they were smaller and weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A lot of beers brewed for the British market are weaker and usually 440ml.

The most recent Perlenbacher for the South has been brewed here.

• Advertisement

The MUP price of those cans would be €1.56.

You'd have to decide for yourself if they suit you at that price point.

Nothing to do with glasses at all, they just taste different to me. In a blind test I'd be able to tell which came from a bottle and which came from a can no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

We used to say back in the 1980's, condoms will be taxed " at the point of entry" 😂

It is a question of individual preference.

While taste is an important element there is also the appearance of the beer to take into account.

You could pour a beer that tastes good into a glass and have it go as flat as a pancake.

While it might still taste ok the appearance might detract from your drinking experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shrinkflation.

There is also this variation. Cans say 4% , beer was actually 3.7% to save £50m on tax

The taste is the most important element for me, appearance wouldn't matter to me at all

As I said it's a matter of personal preference.

However I imagine that most Guinness drinkers would not like a flat pint with no head and in their case a glass is important.

The best thing to do is to keep your beer glasses separate from other glasses in the house.

Use them only for beer and wash them by hand under the tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

Deleted /double Post

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

From that article:

But new research by the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) has found that minimum unit pricing has also hit Scots who enjoy a drink in the pocket - with an average loss of £71 since the policy began.

Christopher Snowden, who researched the costs for the IEA, said: "Our estimate suggests that minimum pricing has cost Scottish drinkers more than a quarter of a billion pounds.

"Now in its fifth year, minimum pricing is a reminder that politicians are often responsible for the rising cost of living.

"Although alcohol consumption has fallen slightly in Scotland, we find no evidence that this has led to an improvement in health outcomes.

"Consumers have simply switched from the most affordable alcohol to mid-range brands, to the benefit of alcohol producers and retailers.

"The policy could be dropped tomorrow without costing the government a penny.".......

.......Research published by Public Health Scotland in 2021 found that minimum pricing had a minimal impact on drink-related crime.

Jon Bannister, a criminology professor at Manchester Metropolitan University, said the reduction in the quantity of alcohol bought has had "minimal impact on the levels of alcohol-related crime, disorder and public nuisance reported in Scotland".

Alison Douglas, chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, described the findings as "disappointing" given the reduction in off-sales consumption and insisted early indications were that MUP had "saved lives".

Fcuking sham.

Advertisement