Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to get rid of lawns?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a lot of very broad generalisation there, and so many holes in the argument (and the supposed history) that you could use it for a sprinkler system.

I do object to the description of people genuinely trying to do their best for the environment by diversification in their gardens as engaging in 'sanctimonious propaganda'. There has been very little reference to doing away with lawns, mostly it is suggested that the obsession with perfect, absolutely weed free grass and the spraying of chemicals to achieve it is not the way to go. I am not a great fan of flower meadows, but neither do I see any great value in totally monoculture grass; between the two is a reasonable balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have plenty of wildflowers in my garden borders. In my back garden I also have a lawn. I keep this mowed. In my front garden the lawn has been taken over by moss. I tried to eliminate this over many years....then I just gave up. I was defeated by it. Now I just embrace the moss and kind of like it now. I have 9 raised beds for vegetables and I keep a compost heap. It is possible to embrace a mix and match approach to our gardens.... rather than going totally Amish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it has already been mentioned but dandelions are important for bees, especially this early in the season when most other plants are not yet flowering...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I agree but I can assure you , I do more than enough for Bees, birds , hedgehogs , I've even got wild hare come visit, lots of flowering plants, shrubs etc , actually love the sight of Bees and actually noticed some really big bumble Bees already this year.

But, I'm afraid I have a pathological hatred of Dandelion , Moss and Daisies on my lawn, they destroy it 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

😀 that bee needs a bit more landing practise! He was miles out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

What about us people who HAVE to cut lawns. City ordinance says you have to cut lawns and keep the area around the house kept.

i mow 8 acres once a week (luckily I enjoy this) but to off set the mowing I leave 7 acres grow wild for pollinators and wild life.

the simple thing: if you want to sell the house, is someone going to be put off by 3 foot high grass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

That's not even an argument. Just cut the grass before you go to sell it.

Deflective rubbish altogether. If the reason someone doesn't buy a house because the grass hasn't been cut then they didn't want to buy the house in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,254 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Intended to have a lawn at one time but let it grow wild instead. It was on the site of an old orchard but that had become a jungle, overgrown and diseased with 30/40 years of neglect. I would have liked to reinstate it but now there's a septic tank at the end that needs access for emptying.

Drives the older generation mad who are conditioned to want a neat lawn and concerned about 'what will the neighbours think'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

We should all live joyless lives to save the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Wild gardens are manna from heaven for lazy people with gardens 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could you explain this one a little bit?

As someone who has damp areas in my back garden, I was going to sow them with wildflowers etc and let it re-wild.

But how is a single tree good for insects, instead of hundreds of wildflowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As an example: A single Birch tree can support up to 300+ species of insects and invertebrates, while these then support bird populations. In the UK research showed 2300 species were supported by Oak, 326 species depend on oak for survival and 229 are rarely found on trees other than oak. Willow attracts numerous pollinators and birds too. It's a matter of balance but the impact of trees shouldn't be lost in the rush to sow wildflower meadows. I see much greater diversity and numbers among my tree planting than in my wildflower areas. Indeed I'll have as many species using the more formal shrub and flower beds as the wildflower areas. This morning Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Robins and others are busy gathering worms etc from the lawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

I have read that dandelions are almost entirely edible. Netlles, as well, can be used to make soup. There must be a number of Irish plants which are considered weeds but whose usefulness is, in fact, overlooked.

Having had nettle soup many years ago, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Leave them for the butterflies.

Might be in the way it's prepared (like practically anything). This doesn't look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, birch trees grow like crazy and are beautiful. Just need to make sure they don't get too big... Much nicer than a bland lawn. But you can have some lawn and some trees and wild parts. It's not all or nothing. We have a lilac tree and the smell at this time of the year is incredible. It's wrapped around some other tree and both are covered in ivy. The birds love it.

(Edit)

Lilac tree.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you want you can do your garden like this ... It's very popular I believe 😃 and no lawn.

The thing is, with food you just don't look at it. You've to eat, or drink, it too.

Guy in the video seemed to think it tasted great. Maybe he *would* say that, but there wouldn't be much of a point putting out such a video if he thought otherwise, unless Big Nettle are throwing money around that I was unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I noticed during the pandemic that the beautiful manicured walled garden in Marlay Park was let grow almost wild. It looked terrible. The excuse was, let it grow wild to help the pollinators etc.... However, the other hundreds of acres that were left, had enough flowers for the pollinators to feast on.

It was just an excuse for cutbacks and saving money by Dun Laoghaire County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What cutbacks did DLR make to save money as a result?

🤣 Don't judge on looks. Have you actually tried it before recommending it?

Nope, but I didn't really recommend it. I said it's a thing some people eat and some eat it gladly, like the guy seemed to in the video. Tastes, as we know, can vary.

I made it at lunchtime - we have lots of young nettles growing in a couple of patches in the garden. It was quick and easy and tasted fresh and interesting. Nice colour. Hard to say what it tasted of, just pleasant vegetation I suppose. I'd make it again.

Edit - you can make a nice tea from all the goosegrass that is spreading now - gather a good handful from a clean spot, pack it into a mug (or a teapot if you are feeling posh, not a teapot that is used for regular tea though). Pour on boiling water and leave it to steep for 5 minutes or so, haul out the silage and drink the tea.

• Advertisement

Saw this today.

Lawn and birch trees.

The bright hedges. 🙂

Advertisement