Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

They havnt enough experience,they were giving instruction on how to use newer type weapons during the week

How realisitic is it,to expect proficiancy immediately among their rank and file in combact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

This is nonsense: the choice to fight is 100% down to Ukraine and Ukrainians. It doesn't matter how many weapons NATO supply if Ukraine don't have the will to fight: and it's clear they have that in spades.

The only decision NATO and the US have is to what extent they help Ukraine to enforce its own will and determine its own future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I’ve already said diplomacy and/or concessions like nato agreees to leave Ukraine out.

Any other concessions you'd like for Russia to be able to dictate? Suppose they decided that they didn't want Ireland to be in the EU anymore. Should the EU "make concessions" and give us the boot?

The irony is that if things had gone Russia's way, it would have had new borders with NATO by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Do you actually read posts? Or do you just make things up in your head so you can poke at people?

"A certain poster" said that the mythical NATO MLRS systems you claimed were "already in Ukraine" would be much more difficult to supply than 155mm howitzers. You're now posting pictures of 155mm howitzer propellant being flown to Ukraine and trying to prove... what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

by the way there is a very very serious war on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You don't seem to be able to acknowledge that is a war on the edge of Europe, that has the capacity to have long running impacts on all other European states, including little wee Ireland here. Last time we saw war on this scale in Europe was in 1939 & 1914 before that.

You seem to suggest that giving Ukraine some weapons is OK but giving them too many weapons is a bad idea as that will prolong things. This is very woolly thinking, the worst of both outcomes for Ukrainian citizens. Enough to salve 'your' conscience but not enough that they can drive the invading army out. A recipe for misery & death.

As we know, war is polarising. There is less room for vacillating and having an opinion this way and that. That's the way of it.

So you either support Ukraine fully and advocate that they should get as much assistance as possible, even though it impacts on us. Or you go and get a job working for the Russian embassy running their line of propaganda. To be caught in the middle, neither one nor another is to be useless and ineffectual.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Edit: please dont respond to this post, I’ve said it all before, not repeating again. You disagree , I’m fine with that and am happy to move on.

Give it a rest with the psycho analysing.

Ive said my piece, let’s let this thread move on and it can go back to the harmonious echos of agreement…….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

The don't seem to understand that their infantile propaganda doesn't work with western people.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

If that happens Ukraine must join NATO and we are all at war. I'm ok with that because anything less means the destruction of Ukraine and we can't back down from the bully. Make your will and shine up your bullets, we're off to war.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Simple question, as obviously it needs to be: Which of the two countries has the 2nd largest military on the planet, and therefore a large advantage in number of weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

That's BBC.

In reality the empire and several other parties have been steering the V(o)ladimirs towards this war pretty much since the USSR was dissolved. Very much like it was done with Iran to end up in a war against Iraq.

One must know nothing about Russia's history and be really very gullible to believe that the Russians just want to kill Ukrainians. It is effectively a civil war.

It would be very difficult to isolate and identify the most important stakeholders benefiting from this. But, if one thinks about it, it would be the same parties who are responsible for climate change and other unsustainable business. But some entities are obviously responsible: NATO, USA, UK, entities controlling Western media, space exploration or requiring new resources and territory.

Historically Russia has been more of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation. Had the USA and/or other NATO members agreed to just stop encroaching on the Russian Federation in February, they would not have been a war. Now nearly 3/4 or Russians support it. AND: thats is also what many Ukranians, Ukranians fleeing to the West think as well.

The West wants more from Russia than Russia wants from the West. Look at the map! Russia can live happily without you. It is true they don't make iPohnes there. But they have everything else.

The West, the members of the NATO (!) supply weapons to the Ukraine but keep financing Russia buying fuels of them. It's in your face. If you are blind to that, it is because you chose to be. As you chose the empire versus versatility, Hollywood vs culture a planet filled with garbage over Nature. You chose death over life and you did so d e m o c r a t i c a l l y. Suddenly Russia and China don't look so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’m done in here, so you can all rest peacefully that I will try not to post stuff that challenges your strongly held absolute beliefs. I will make a statement that hopefully closes off this session:

Flooding Ukraine with weapons is absolutely the only game in town and will Yield the best results . There’s no other way to manage the war cause Putin is a sociopath and everybody else is doing everything right and should not be questioned.

Anybody who suggests ANYTHING otherwise is daly , Wallace , too left, too right; pro Putin , likes Putin , hates USA or is blaming USA , possibly a hitler fan , probably a trump supporter , hates Ukraine , doesn’t want Ukraine independence and probably wants general Zod to beat superman.

We all good now?

There's too much whataboutery in that article for my liking, even if it is factual. The overriding fact is that Russia has engaged in mass murder in Ukraine and they need to be burned out of it. They can talk politics another time. Also, the fear of NATO expansion is a psychological artifact of the cold war, which is understandable. But all these issues can be solved without raping children. And those countries that don't condemn the war on moral grounds are being a bit too smug and cowardly for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

• Advertisement

Im not being contrarian, tried to PM you to answer your question. The problem is one of you asks a question , I answer, then another asks a question, in the meantime another person accuses me of being contrarian or left or Daly or Wallace and to be frank I don’t want to engage people who insult me by constantly guessing my motives for being on here and then write them almost matter of fact.

I can tell people are enjoying some of you having a go at me and that sort of says it all. I didn’t come here to offend people or with an agenda. Just to talk. Why do I ask questions? Because there is a lot I don’t know. That’s not a contrarian view its a pragmatic and realistic view and acceptance my own limited knowledge and understanding of the gravity of this war.

I think some of you are so entrenched in your views you can only see posters as an ally or a hostile. And that’s how you respond , not with interest to discuss but hostility or sarcasm to knock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Mick Wallace and Claire Daly want to say hello...

Along with a bunch of other useful idiots who parrot their sh**te

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Their "Victory" parade will be a bit like when the losing Irish football team would parade around College Green in an open top bus, cheered on by thousands of frenzied fans.

Altogether now comrades : "Give it a lash, Vlad. Give it a lash Vlad, never never never say no. Russia, Russia dictatorship of Russia, round em up and watch em blow......" 🎶 ☢️

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Detritus70

This is pure and unbridled propaganda. I think you're pasting from the wrong script, nobody here will buy this.

You should follow the lead of the other concern trolls, they go along the lines of " Yeah, Putin's a dick but Ukraine should have just rolled over and NATO is only prolonging the inevitable".

This is just so out there, you won't even get an argument out of anyone, because it's too far out there.

2/10, must try harder.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

"Historically Russia has been more of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation."

Do you think the Russian Empire ended up with territory from the Pacific to the Baltic and Central Europe; from the Arctic to the Central Asian steppe all with flower power and peace pipes?

That's the biggest naive chump take on Russian history I've heard in a long time. You have some serious reading to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Historically Russia has been more of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation.

You must be kidding. And where such a statement is in the article you linked to?

The West wants more from Russia than Russia wants from the West. Look at the map! Russia can live happily without you. It is true they don't make iPohnes there. But they have everything else.

Yeah, they have everything, even Iskanders have US made parts in them. They need west much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, the Russian empire was a huge colonial power like all the others. But as soon as the Soviets came to power a century ago, they made sure to hold onto all the imperial territories, often using brute force.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It only has to work with their subjects, or enough of them. For the most part those over 30, where putin gets most of his support base.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Example: Circassian genocide. Probably the largest genocide of the 19th century and a template for the horrors or the 20th.

Haven't heard of the Circassian people of the North Caucuses? That's because they were all either murdered or exiled (mostly to the Ottoman Empire) by the advancing Russian army. As a people, they more or less don't exist any longer. Toltsoy wrote about their destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Is there a pro Ukraine rally or Irish rally to protest against the planned pro Russian rally in dublin on may the 9th?

was having a look to see if there was and I came accords this.

another motorcade of Russian support planned ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement