Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I wouldn't go so far, Trump's followers are falling for propaganda every bit as crude and clumsy (and worse). It doesn't matter that it's patently nothing but lies, they gobble that up like it's manna from heaven.

They don't care about the content, they only care about the hate. It's a new type of human to me, a few steps back from the rest of us, but also more advanced. Whilst going along with nonsense that no six year old would fall for, they also can entirely switch off any higher brain function, leaving only enough capacity to breathe through their mouth, but also manage to square away several completely contradictory arguments at the same time. They just activate the one they need at this precise moment. If they need a completely contradictory argument to their previous one five minutes alter, their brain just swaps them out in memory without even a pause.

Remarkable step in evolution. No thoughts or principles besides what is the prescribed notion at this very moment and just let yourself drift with the general mass. It must be wonderful. No fears or doubts, just herd instinct. I do envy them that.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While this war is the bastard son of many fathers, you're just as gullible to paint the above picture.

Historically Russia has been more of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation.

What.... oh wait, you're serious? Bit of a history lesson seeing as you reckon others know nothing. Though not a history lesson too many Russians hear in their schooling.

1) Unlike many other European nations(and Russia most certainly is European), Russia didn't need to go off and build overseas empires, it was one already. Peter the Great literally named it as such; the Russian empire. An empire 9000 kms wide ruling over provinces through governors and migration from the west, with money and power concentrated in the west lording over indentured slaves. It has nearly 200 ethnic groups, who had and still has the power and money? Russia is one of the largest empires in world history. Just because they didn't carve up the New World with the rest doesn't make them any less so. This is a major point missed and lack of understanding shown by supporters in places like India and African nations.

2) The Soviet Union, basically Russia under new management, expanded Russian lands from the get go. Her foundation was predicated on invasion and expansion. As WW2 loomed they claimed neutrality but got into bed with the actual nazis to carve up Europe between them, annexing parts of Poland, Lithunaia, Estonia, Romania and tried it on with Finland and got some of their lands too. Until the Austrian corporal hoodwinked them. When he did and they crapped themselves under the onslaught, they looked to the Allies and fought back with their help and millions of their own men and women, but were already going back to the original plan of carving up Europe. They actually got more of it in the aftermath than they would have done with the Germans even if the latter had stuck to the deal. Poland was going to be roughly half and half, Russia got all of it. They also grabbed Czechoslovakia, Albania, Romania, Hungary and half of Germany. Vassal provinces all to Moscow. Maybe you missed how quickly all of those states legged it away from Moscow as fast as they could when the USSR edifice crumbled? How quickly they looked west to protect their futures from Moscow? They saw them as the invaders they were.

Other than Rome I can't think of any other European entity that has invaded and ruled over more lands, nations and people in Europe(and Asia) than Russia, and Rome was never as big. Peacemakers eh? Not invaders? Horse manure.

EDIT: just looked it up there and the British Empire at its peak, by a long way the largest empire the world has ever seen, covered an area of 35 million square kilometres. Russia today covers an area of 17 milllion square kilometres. The Soviet Union covered an area of 23 milllon kilometres. They didn't get and keep that big by smiles and flowers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

The mental gymnastics of these sort of posts that feebly try to muddy the waters and paint an incredibly simple affair into some sort of elaborate, complex geo-political issue that the west "doesn't understand".

Ukraine is a sovereign nation. Russia has launched an illegal, brutal unwarranted invasion of said sovereign nation, based on nothing but comical lies and rhetoric. It's 1 + 1 = 2 stuff.

And what's your last sentence even supposed to mean? Suddenly Russia doesn't look so bad?

Come on bud. Russia wasn't seen as a great place before, because frankly it's not a great place. However Putin has now shown the country up for what it is - a complete and utter backwards totalitarian dumpster run by a dictator with an ego every bit the match for Hitler or Mussolini.

The whole world is standing behind Ukraine and simultaneously loathing, and laughing, at Russia. I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but the truth is, no matter what happens in Ukraine, Putin has not just trashed Russia's reputation, but he has exposed Russia as pathetically weak.

The level of narcissism is off the charts. The whole western world is in on a giant conspiracy out to get Russia.....it couldn't possibly be linked to the brutal, unjustified invasion of another sovereign nation ordered by a sociopath dictator, could it? No, it must be a conspiracy.

Thank God good-guys Syria and Belarus know the real story and have our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I say that instead of arming Ukraine, we hit Russia with a major - and I mean MAJOR - leaflet campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@Banana Republic 1 -  I don’t think “race” has anything to do with it

@Danzy - There is not even one shred of evidence that Putin doesn't like people of other races.

Racist doesn't just mean you don't like black people, or Chinese, or transexuals, etc, etc. It can simply mean you believe yourself to be superior to others, as in Putins case.

The genocide of Ukranian people, torture, rapes against minors and all round savagery is showing his utter contempt for another country, and is therefore an act of racism. I've no doubt that he would do similar to what Hitler did, and (as opposed to Jews) try to eradicate the planet of Westerners, if he had more than a tin-pot army to accomplish it.

racist

noun

A person who believes a particular race is superior to others.a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

Racism in Russia appears mainly in the form of negative attitudes and actions by some Russians toward non-ethnic Russian citizens, immigrants or tourists. Traditionally Russian racism includes anti-Semitism and Tatarophobia, as well as hostility towards the various peoples of the Caucasus, Central Asia, East Asia and Africa - Wikipedia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Mr Moderator, I am not building myself a virtual empire here and don't have time for 58000 posts or words. The few I wrote you twisted. Never wrote "peacekeeper" nor "not invaders". Just meant to say that Vladimirs - and you should look up the meaning - aren't Napoleons or Hitlers, haven't started any WWs, don't have 10 aircraft carriers around the world and don't poison the world with garbage be it physical or virtual etc. Most military conflicts Russia was involved in in the last 200 years, it was drawn into, again physically - through an attack - or contractually: like against the Turks.

As to "manure": I am not ready to sink down to insults. Apologize or keep conversing with the virtual flies you enjoy being the lord of!

This war is real. Both my parents are from the Ukraine. I have family there. Russia didn't want this war and will gain nothing from it. I named the guilty parties. I only linked to this article because the likes of you trust the BBC. I have other sources the likes of you will not understand nor trust as they are not endorsed by the CIA.

And thus you are a part of destruction. Russia has hydrogen bombs so powerful they could never be tested. If the Brits keep provoking Putin, he can fire one on London from a sub right in Dublin bay. There will be no one left to write "he wrote 60000 posts on boards.ie" on your tombstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Is Russia a real country? A crash course in history; The origins of Russia - Summary on a Map - YouTube

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Here's a link to the Conspiracy Theories forum; I suspect you might feel more at home over there: https://www.boards.ie/categories/conspiracy-theories

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite a feat to write so much rubbish in one small post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

At what point in history did we start having all these conspiracy theories that every war is started by a cabal of vested interests? Did the Hundred Years war happen because of the Jews and Big Chainmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

So much hyperbole.

"don't poison the world with garbage be it physical or virtual etc"

Well that's not true, massive amounts of online conflict which leads to real world conflict is directly related to Russian troll farms and a very mature disinformation industry there. You most certainly did claim about peacekeepers and I question if your parents are really from Ukraine as Ukrainians generally see "the" being added as a prefix as offensive. The Russians do not need to be provoked into anything and have a horrendous history in Crimea and with ethic cleansing and migrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Every other day at this stage a new one arrives.... The troll farm must be mobilising early

Dim minds love meta-theories to explain the world.

Easier to process there is a cabal of puppet-masters in the US-UK NATO axis tricking the peaceful Russian soul into launching wars than to actually fire up their brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

"ore of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation". More than?

You read? Do or desist! No major European nation was peaceful or it wouldn't be a nation, never even mind "major". OK? MORE THAN!

Look at the environmental record of NATO members! The empire, our democratic role model, leads the way to not just mass suicide, but a complete destruction of life as we know it through chemical pollution.

Stop blaming the Russians! You are your own worst enemy! Your greed, your righteousness, your anxiety, fake sense of belonging, entitlement and more greed is what poisons your mind. You will win nothing by debating with me. And I will not debate for it solves nothing. It's either dialectics, violence or deceit. Debate is only a part of the latter: mainly self-deceit in fact. Once you twist my words, it is no longer dialectics. So I won't waste my time, unless of course you learn.

No one is "learning" anything from your ahistorical Charles Manson in the penetentairy ramblings.

And if you're not here for the "deceit of debate", what exactly prompted you to to set up an account and unload this fecal matter on the thread?

We've had more than a few share of lunatics dropping by this thread. You haven't even done us the favour of being a particularly memorable or notable one.

Won't be long now until you're banned. Don't bother with a new account. We're not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Chernobyl occurred in the USSR. And then the Russians shelled it in this war of aggression. Yet you introduce - irrelevent even by the standards of whataboutery - whataboutery about pollution!

As for peace, yes, look at Grozny. Russia loves peace. The peace of the grave.

We win nothing by debating with you, because you are obviously brain washed and impervious to logic facts and reason. And have a completely blinkered distorted one sided view of history.

The thing is, we're not debating you. We're just correcting the record on the thread of your obvious disinformation and historical delusions and Russian propaganda.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

"You will win nothing by debating with me. "

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"If the Brits keep provoking Putin, he can fire one on London from a sub right in Dublin bay. There will be no one left to write "he wrote 60000 posts on boards.ie" on your tombstone."

Or no one left to write on yours for that matter.

The idea that Russia can use nuclear weapons as an offensive threat, as a weapon of war against other nations is so totally abhorrent, that it must surely reveal the depravity of your thinking. The whole idea of nuclear weapons is as a defensive deterrent, a last resort. And no one, no one is threatening Russian territory at the moment. Unless you have a Putin view of the world, in which all your neighbours are really Russian. In which case, f**k off.

This thread has actually been a very good resource with a lot of very high quality contributers.

It has only survived because...

A: Mods have done a good job nuking the re-reg accounts and one-track numbskulls trying to pull it down.

and...

B: Fools aren't suffered gladly by contributers posting in good-faith.

It's immaterial if you think people are wound up or not. This thread has been hostile ground for trolls because of A. and B. Long may it continue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not a moderator of this forum.

"Historically Russia has been more of a peacemaker and less of an invader than any major European nation" That's what you wrote and it's a patent nonsense.

Was Russia "drawn into" a pact with nazi Germany to carve up Eastern Europe for themselves? Of course if you're Russian the Great Patrioitic War didn't start in 1939, it started when the first German jackboot crossed into Russia. Handily avoiding Stalin's pact with Hitler. Was Russia "drawn into" carving up Eastern Europe for itself after the war? Was Russia "drawn into" invading Czechoslovakia in '68? Was Russia "drawn into" invading Georgia, or Chechnya? Maybe there was some "contract" involved...

Maybe I can view your sources endorsed by the FSB, or the KG used to B? And more of this Russian hard on for talking about destruction and H-Bombs, you must love Russian TV at the moment. You go on about Russia not starting wars or poisoning the world etc and at the same time get so easily upset when your narative is questioned and are so quick to talk about atomic annihilation coming to destroy me and all life in London(where I'm not so map reading isn't a strong suit). Does the Russian word for 'irony' translate correctly? It seems not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What the actual... ?

The poster I quoted has been asking all morning is giving weapons to Ukraine the right thing to do. He has been told numerous times why it is but continues to ask the same question.

So I asked them directly (not you btw) what their solution is since their scoffing at the notion that quite simply arming Ukraine to the teeth and pushing Russia out is pretty much the only option .

So back to you and your absolutely ridiculous response to me . Read the thread , read what I wrote and read the poster I'm corresponding with before you throw out of hand crap like that.

Gluk. Horse.

Look at the environmental record of NATO members! The empire, our democratic role model, leads the way to not just mass suicide, but a complete destruction of life as we know it through chemical pollution.

China is a major pollutor, one of the worst on the planet, but since they're not NATO members I suppose that's OK. Sweden and Finland rank very high in environmental efforts so when they join NATO will they magically become bad? Americans are the worst consumers on the planet. You'll get no argument from me there. However Russia isn't exactly clean, not by a long shot. Ever hear of the Aral Sea?

Just two years ago Russia broke its own records for air pollution. And if we go back to Soviet times we have the slight issue of a reactor going bang. Though a couple of Russians, Belarusians and one Ukrainian have told me that this was yet another CIA plot. Over the years I have found both the Russians and Americans to be as bad as each other for fears of external influence, conspiracy(they had their Reds under the bed phase, now it's Muslims and Mexicans) and the need to justify their own misadventures. As for the CIA. They've proven themselves time and time again to be as much amateur as professional, but that doesn't work as a boogyman for tthe masses. The Yanks thought the same of the KGB and they were equally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Why get bogged down?

Putin is committing terrible acts right now and needs to be stopped.

"But heeeey man, no one's all bad" - so what?

If ever there was a situation where the end justified the means, this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You get awful annoyed about what we discuss on here . For someone claiming to not really care at all.

Ive never come across a poster claiming to be so chill about the subject give out so much. Oh wait, no I have it's as common as trousers .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And yet you are here.

I guess you didnt want a 'good' resource.

Its social media. What were you expecting? Maybe you take your own advice?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If true it’s shameful.

We swore concentration camps would never happen again after the bastard nazis.

Just go in and finish Putin and his shower of evil **** now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement