Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not sure where exactly you are going with these comical I-dont-care-but-clearly-I-actually-really-do posts.

We should never be allowed discuss something unless we're qualified experts? That should eliminate around 98% of human interactions on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Really ? Which station. That's good news. Amazed that it could occur though giving Putin ignoring pretty much everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Earlier in this thread I noted my interactions over the years with Russian folks I know. All but one(a complete dickhead that you'd find anywhere) were and are very nice people by the way. Politics and history didn't come up very often. Well it can get uncomfortable for any bunch of people sitting around chatting. The first time I really remember was around May the 9th one year and WW2/Great Patriotic War came up and I had mentioned relatives of mine involved in fighting the nazis and they were sharing their family stories of that time and how so many of their family had been killed in that. A truly awful time.

But the talk went into the Russian history of it from their side. I found this interesting as one rellie of mine who'd been involved remarked when I was a kid that it was a war where the propaganda never stopped after it was over. And he wasn't too wrong. Each side has their own story, much of it wartime propaganda. EG afterwards everyone had been in the French Resistance, when in reality bugger all had been. The British would have had to really try to lose the Battle of Britain, yet very nearly did, or it got close to a draw and Dunkirk has been turned into a victory when it was an arse kicking defeat. The Americans seemed to think they were the only ones involved in saving the "Free World" to the degree I'm surprised the Germans and Japanese even get a look in.😁 I'd never really heard the Russian side of it, but they had their own propaganda still running strong. The Stalin Ribbentrop pact was a "peace" pact, like Chamberlain's that the Germans broke. Zero mention of Stalin and Hitler carving up independent states between them detailed in the same pact. Allied help in the form of Lend Lease was played down, as was Stalin's blunders and purging of the best of his generals before the war. There was also an admiration for Stalin I didn't expect. The post war carving up of Eastern Europe and the "Iron Curtain" was glossed over.

There is also the wider feeling that Russia never starts wars, that Russia is always under threat of invasion and "outside influences". This feeling goes back centuries too. Part of it down to geography. If you stand in Moscow and look west there are bugger all natural barriers between you and any enemies that want to invade you. All empires throughout history have a fear of invasion and "outside influences" that take them down from within, "decadence" is usually the biggie, so Russia is hardly different here. The American empire has it and it has two huge moats either side of it and has really only been attacked twice on her own soil, Pearl Harbor and 9/11 and they resonate deeply in the American psyche. The fear that trump revved up about "Mexican rapists" from outside played into that. As did McCarthy's Reds under the bed long before him.

So I'm not exactly surprised at Dybbuk's take on things. He's just following the narrative he believes. Now as I've also said a few times in thsi thread and got static for it from some; we also follow the naratives we believe of course. The major difference being that we have far more narratives to choose to believe in and more, we are allowed to believe them. Oh sure we may get hassle for believing different ones, but we won't go to gaol for believing them, we won't get poisoned, we won't get shot in the street. We can even publish these beliefs in traditional media and online.

While I can 100% understand why Daly and Wallace got ridiculed for their beliefs - and just so I'm clear for the hard of thinking I do NOT agree with them - I was also glad to see it. For all the support from Russian supporters for them, the same thing couldn't happen in Russia. There are no Daly's and Wallace's in Russia. NO dissent from the popular narrative.

Another day.

Another General gone.

Well into double digits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Preparing for the Moscow may 9th parade .

This is beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It has been a good resource because not only do you get some interesting and informative analysis of events in Ukraine, but you also get plenty of links to news articles about the war from a diverse range of sources of which the BBC would be one. There's not a thread on the front page CA forum which comes remotely close in terms of view count, so it suffices to say that it is more than a bunch of armchair generals in it.

It's not going to change the world. I doubt too many are under the impression that it will. However, nor is it exactly p*ssing into the wind because trolls wouldn't make such an effort to spread misinformation in threads such as this, and the rest of the Internet, if that were so. People read that misinformation and take it with them and they spread it to other people and that can eventually lead to informing actions of real consequence, like voting, and we have seen that in recent history. This is at least one corner of the Internet where trolls will get well called on their bullsh*t. For that alone, the thread is worthwhile.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not Jews nor chemtrails but dynasties worried about market controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lot of trouble to go to numbering every armband

Nazi's anyone? (tho somone says its from 2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There are no nuances to this situation. It's as black and white as it ever gets in world affairs. There are no subtleties with which to attempt to play mental gymnastics and to try and concoct possibilities that there are shades of grey from. It's binary, left and right, up down, on or off.

You want it to be other than it is so you can game it for some verbal sparring and entertainment. That dog don't hunt 'round here.

This is not a situation or place to make any attempt at playing devil's advocate, unless you want to be tied to a stake and immolated.

What does this say to ye lads and lassies? I called out a few of the hardcore warriors on this thread and they ran straight to the mods.

That really sums you lads up.

Boys, try to be a bit more like Zelenskyy and less like a little bitch pretending to be a hard man military strategist hiding under your duvet.

Are there any land mines stored in the Curragh? Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Yeah your comments certainly seem to align with someone whose parents are "Ukrainian" all right. Especially that you seek to excuse the real "guilty party" ie Russia's invasion of Ukraine and its ongoing ethnic cleansing of Ukrainian people.

Not only do you seem to have basic issues with geo politics, in not being able to identify Ukraine as a sovereign nation which is currently fighting for it's survival, but you also appear to be gung ho blaming the invasion on everyone else but Russia.

I see history is certainly not one of your strong points either.

You will find if you check, that Russia and Germany invaded Poland and between them started WW2

The invasion of Poland was an attack on the Republic of Poland by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union which marked the beginning of World War II. The German invasion began on 1 September 1939, one week after the signing of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact between Germany and the Soviet Union, and one day after the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union had approved the pact. The Soviets invaded Poland on 17 September. The campaign ended on 6 October with Germany and the Soviet Union dividing and annexing the whole of Poland under the terms of the German–Soviet Frontier Treaty. The rest is history

Or how about the brutal invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union in 1979?

On Christmas Eve 1979, the Soviet Union began an invasion of Afghanistan, its Central Asian neighbor to the south. First, it air-dropped troops into principal Afghan cities. Soon after, it deployed motorized divisions across the border. Within days, the KGB, which had infiltrated the Afghan presidential palace, poisoned the president and his ministers, helping launch a Moscow-backed coup to install a new puppet leader, Babrak Karmal. The invasion triggered a brutal, nine-year-long Afghan civil war.

By the time the last Soviet troops pulled out in early 1989, rumbling back across the ironically named “Friendship Bridge,” the conflict had cost the lives of an estimated 1 million civilians and some 125,000 Afghan, Soviet and other combatants.

The war wreaked havoc not only on Afghanistan, but on the Soviet Union, whose economy and national prestige took a severe kicking. The military misadventure contributed significantly to the USSR’s later collapse and breakup.

Any of those inconvenient facts sound at all familiar to you. No?

Btw absolutely love the childish threats to get your friends to drop "hydrogen bombs" on those who you disagree with on boards! 😅🤣😂

Looks like Wibbs is now on the Russian naughty list lol.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Try to understand that I am not defending Russia here! IMO there is no such thing!

"Russia" does not actually exist. Russians exist, the land does. A nation is a concept I personally don't like subscribing to. And many people dying there now wouldn't, if they could at all avoid it. But the Russian soldiers are sent there, the Ukrainian are not allowed to leave.

The USSR was a terrible construct, but it's gone. And it wasn't defeated. It evolved on its own and spun off it's lands pretty much on its own accord as well. The Russian society has made a lot of progress. There is/was a middle class now, a foundation for healthier society. But it is still Russia and the elite considers itself a superpower. They hated MGorbatchov for letting the republics go. He believed what NATO promised him: that they will not expand eastwards.

It looks now like this elite was right. It seems that they weren't only more cynical but actually shrewder than MG. But, hoping to be accepted, even Putin was so naive to trust the West. He did complain about them, protesting for over 20 years!! But the USA kept pushing the NATO on "him". They new exactly what they were doing. And they won: Putin lost hope. He did what he had to do, backed by the Duma and the people of Russia. The outcome was predicted and desired by the US. Russia weekend, literally "bled out", isolated, divided, middle class destroyed, catastrophic brain drain.

The EU are absolute fools. They followed Mark Wahlberg into the sunset here, which might very well turn out nuclear.... But MW is safe in America far far away, while we have a war between the biggest and the second biggest countries on our continent.

That is my main point really.

Yes, terrible country Russia. Terrible country China. But they just might be the lesser evil. Without them, we'll be ruled by the CIA.

Radiaoactive pollution, while terrible, pales in comparison to Persistent Organic Pollutants. The plastic already in the environment, once it disintegrates, will likely destroy life as we know it. (Apart from nuclear war) That is the biggest threat to our existence, and not just our. (For I represent all life that is no human. It is my obligation as "reasonable mammal" if you like.) Climate change might actually be a blessing. But that's a whole other discussion.

And Grozniy? Come on! What about Iran vs Iraq, Guatemala, Chile etc? When people of dark skin died, no one in Ireland cared. And yes I am Irish. And yes I know what kind of a man Putin is.

I repeat:

If the NATO had kept their promise to MG and had listened to the head of state of former USSR complaining, people wouldn't be dying. Even if they had promised it in February, no shot would have been fired. I am sure of that. Putin is nothing like Hitler. It is not about "good" or "bad". It isn't a kindergarten anymore.

Russia is a fact. Putin is fact. Bad facts if you like. I don't care. But by supporting the expansion of the NATO you:

1) Become guilty of mass murder which what every war is.

And:

2) Become guilty of weakening the opposition to the empire. That will get you more iPhones and Netflix of course. But, be careful what you wish for! For it might just kill your grand/children! It sure will enslave them...

Finally, while it is OK to compare Putin to Stalin or whatever it is that rocks your boat, it is a really bad tone to use words like "Russian Nazis". In fact it is quite similar to people saying "Israeli Nazis". Yes, Russian Nazis do exist, as do Israeli Nazis (and Belorussian Nazis a I presume??). But consider that pretty much no soldiers in the Ukraine actually are Nazis and that (, apart from the Jews, Roma Belorussians) no other nation suffered that much because of Nazism. It is an even greater faux pas for an Irish. If you don't know why, you shouldn't even be reading this thread.

I found no conversation partners in this thread: either too ignorant, too narrow-minded or too rude and too stubborn to apologize. I am out of here. Terrible forum this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

It was no major offensive in Donbas yet, but Russian army already got 4000 PoW confirmed by videos of surrender and other video evidence

Kyiv has nearly 140K there and the morale of Ukrainian soldiers is declining everyday because many of them can perfectly live without hostile Donbas in Ukraine

Of course, Russians have to be prepared for more mass surrender

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feck all that Mec, I'm focusing in the fact that apparently I now have a "virtual empire". I'll be a gracious Caesar to my subjects, so long as ye keep the supply of dolly birds and strong drink coming. Well the dolly birds can fake it so long as the strong drink keeps coming. A few quid would be nice too. Though I'm of the Bertie Ahern, rather than putin and his minions level, so a couple of grand - off the books - will satisfy me. I'll be a bargain basement Dear Leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

McGregor was a great judge of character wasn't he. Best buds with Putin, Trump and the Kinahans. What a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"Look at the environmental record of NATO members! The empire, our democratic role model, leads the way to not just mass suicide, but a complete destruction of life as we know it through chemical pollution."

Lol you really are taking the piss there, trying to blame "NATO members" for "chemical pollution"

You do know that Russia and the former Soviet Union have one of the worst environmental records on the planet yes?

And just five major emitters—the United States, European Union, China (Not NATO) , Soviet Union (Not NATO), and Japan (not NATO) - together have contributed two-thirds of the world's historic CO2 emissions.

Today that remains largely unchanged with China (not NATO), the United States, India (Not NATO), Russia (Not NATO), and Japan (not NATO) - being the largest contributors of carbon dioxide emissions globally.

Here's a paper detailing the legacy of just some of the horrendous environmental destruction and pollution in Russia and former Russian satalite countries in Eastern Europe.

The link is at the bottom if you would care to educate yourself further

"Vast areas of the former Soviet Union can be considered "ecological disaster zones," from the fouled shores of the Baltic Sea and the pollution-choked Ob and Volga river basins, to the acid-rain-ravaged forests of the far east."

"The region including Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union is one of the most thoroughly ecologically devastated areas on the planet, and Soviet political domination of the region during most of this century provides a key to the reason for that environmental destruction. The Soviet version of Communist ideology centred on the creation of wealth for the common good, but with little or no regard for the environmental costs of such a policy. The emphasis was on productivity and continually increasing industrialization, and any concerns which conflicted with those goals were brushed aside. 2 The environment and human safety were two such concerns which were generally not addressed. Starting with Stalin's first five-year plan, introduced in 1928, citizens were encouraged throughout the Soviet era to support massive industrialization based on the view "that nature's wealth is virtually inexhaustible and that it is man's fate to conquer and reshape nature."

https://www.canlii.org/en/commentary/doc/1996CanLIIDocs7#!fragment/undefined/BQCwhgziBcwMYgK4DsDWsBGB7LqC2YATqgJIAm0A5JQJQA0yWALgKYQCKiLhAnlZXQgsiCTtz7VBwwggDKWQkwBCfAEoBRADLqAagEEAcgGF1dJmAzQmWODRpA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Those Russians on RT and marching about are truly up the creek of madness. Their arrogance is almost psychotic. History will record them for what they are. A bunch of maniacs going down the tubes. I fully intend on booking a motorbike holiday in the Ukraine after they declare victory against the invaders from Moscow.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

God be with the days when the trolls actually made an effort. Now it's just a Direct scrabble projectile vomit all over the place. You'd wonder how people can fall so far down the rabbit hole that their grasp on reality is so far off.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Here's some filtration:

"Horde bastards kill Ukrainian prisoners: they sent the mother of a captured Ukrainian soldier a photo of a dead son.

The mother said that Dan was surrounded by Russians on April 19-20 and appeared in the video of the propagandists of the horde. On April 30, she was sent a photo in which she recognized her son.

The killing of prisoners is a violation of the Geneva Convention and a war crime."

Middle left. His mother recognised a photo of his body after they executed him.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Putin trying to take Angelina out …..putin killing her would probably have the US public demanding boots on the ground and nukes in the air.. also Hackers is a great movie… maybe the greatest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Protesting outside the Kremlin not with placards. The regime which is so frightened of criticism will probably find a way to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Have to agree. If there is concrete evidence that there is concentration camps and worse happening I think it's the reddest of the red lines crossed and NATO should just rain hell on Russia.

Its going to be an awful stain on humanity and this generation if the same level of atrocities are allowed happen that happened under the Nazis.