Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yikes.

He openly talks about putting chips in people's brains, presumably willing volunteers.

I have religious and ethical objections to transhumanism.

I don't need to "seek help".

I simply oppose the things I oppose regardless of whether others support them or claim they're harmless or claim that people who are oppose them are paranoid and delusional.

The whole phenomenon of media-promoted celebrity billionaires is something I find distasteful. Who are these people to me that I owe them any regard at all let alone the benefit of the doubt about important matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

And they can always go and set up their own social media platform if Twitter is too unbearable for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Cordell

While there might be some justification to your ethical objections, the transhumanism is already happening and the world is a better place for it. We are already training our minds beyond what they are naturally capable, especially in fields like science and technology. We already have synthetic body parts. So computer chip brain implants are just a natural next step.

But the most important thing is that we as right leaning individuals can have this conversation without having a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

• Advertisement

That was a pretty real issue funnily so you're actually giving a great example of stupid **** that US politics should be combating... In fact, the CDC effectively had to do so against that and other propaganda..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,174 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's slowly finding out that Twitter, under his naivety, will end up being like 4 Chan and most sane people will bail leaving just the loonies that want to peddle conspiracies and other more egregious nonsense.

He wants the user base.

The platform itself is a load of old bollocks.

It would be a nice thing if America had a "left" to begin with. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Strange how the argument used to be that twitter was a company with terms and conditions, if you didn't like it you could find somewhere else and they can do as they wish. It's seems to only be a problem now that Dorsey is out the door.

If Musk makes the algorithms and internal workings of the platform public knowledge, tackles bot farms and introduces some form of user verification that is only a good thing - it will help remove a lot of the ambiguity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think anyone is going to trust Musk with personal identity information?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not the least bit strange. They were making that point precisely because of the numbers of idiots who argued that “their right to free speech was being violated”. It wasn’t then, it’s not now.

Musk has no intention of making anything about the platform public, nor has he any intention of tackling bot farms or user verification or anything else. All that is nothing more than smoke and mirrors nonsense to disguise the reality that he is nothing more than a petty and spiteful individual. When he was rapped on the knuckles by the SEC, his next big idea was to buy the same social media platform on which his output is restricted, precisely because of him being a shady fcuker who has disappeared up his own arsehole, to begin with -

The SEC has argued that Musk freely agreed to the limits and that review of his tweets by a Tesla securities lawyer doesn’t amount to government regulation of his speech. 

Liman also denied Musk’s effort to block an SEC subpoena seeking information from Musk on his tweets, ruling that he’s as subject to investigation by the agency as anyone else. 

“The court is simply saying we can move to quash these subpoenas when they are compelled,” said Musk’s lawyer, Alex Spiro. “Nothing will ever change the truth, which is that Elon Musk was considering taking Tesla private and could have -- all that’s left some half decade later is remnant litigation which will make that truth clearer and clearer.”

Liman dispensed with Musk’s argument that the SEC lacks authority to seek information from him.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-27/elon-musk-loses-bid-to-end-twitter-sitter-deal-with-sec

Musk couldn’t give a rats arse about free speech or sticking it to the left or whether or not he has the support of every wingnut who isn’t already banned from the platform, or the support of plenty of people who are banned, who are just as petty, spiteful and up their own arse, as Musk.

Perfectly fine with him doing that but also he has to abide the laws of each country he's in. So him requesting IDs that scale in Europe is gonna struggle I suspect in terms of legal justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm okay with humans directly interfacing with tech, but it should be available to everyone. I have a sensor that communicates with my phone to measure my blood glucose. At what point does the tech become problematic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I work in US tech firm and we have a politics slack channel. The left-wing bias in this channel is unbelievable (literally not a single person with a non far-left view) so i thought id play devils advocate and suggest maybe Elon Musk wasnt Hitler and that Twitter is already a cesspit and it is unlikely to get worse now. I had these Silicon valley types basically gang up on me and one women actually said she felt unsafe now because she was a woman and something about Gamergate/Elon's troll army. (I didnt follow it)

It was eye-opening...

Why on Earth would a workplace have a politics channel in Slack? Absolutely bonkers.

What's really weird is how corporations managed to coax and deceive lefties into working for them and keep them safe from hard left anger. I always wondered how left leaning people can be working for multi billion american corporations and still be able to live with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not that unusual.

They are largely created by, staffed by the same class that the left come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would you have a politics forum in the workplace....

And musk isn't buying twitter. He's the world biggest professional wealthy troll. People only enjoy him because he winds other people they don't like up.

He'd buy and sell anyone of you if it benefited him.

He's basically just a big prick with lots of cash and lots of free time. The notion he works 24 7 and has cyborg like abilities is part of the internet mirth about an average guy who made some lucky investments and plays up to the myths.

This lucky rich big prick will leave a legacy and very likely will be in the history books along Edison, Tesla and Ford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No idea, It was my first and last time posting in it. I kind of feel if you have the 'wrong' opinion on it, there might be career repercussions:p I assume other big US tech multinationals would have something similar.

We also have a Chief Diversity Officer whose main role it seems is to make sure straight white males have less job opportunities and have their views not listened to.

Haha its definitely true, id send a screenshot but that would be breach of contract. I swear on my mother and fathers life if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Every company should have a ‘Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging’ Slack channel.

Which would likely block Pale faces from entering :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I work at a US tech company and we do not have anything like that in slack, id honestly be very surprised if such a channel existed that its existence was known about and supported by management because it could lead to serious legal issues if people did face career repercussions because of it like you mention.

Thats the main reason why I also dont believe you as I doubt any companies legal team would be so stupid or naive enough to allow something like that to exist due to it being so easily recordable and reproducible if needed for evidence against them.

Well like I said its true and swear on the life of my mother and father to that effect.

Feel free to PM if you want more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Just an FYI about Slack usage, in my company anyone can create a ‘public’ Slack channel. Public meaning a channel that anyone in the organisation can join (or be invited to).

It is entirely conceivable that a public (or private) channel like this could exist without Senior management or HR involvement or knowledge.

We have many hundreds of public channels from cats to american football. Probably more channels than people at this stage.

Yeah, in our company there a variety of non-work related channels. From 5 a side football to mindfulness to a womens reading group to indeed politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, never put anything in writing that may be used against you at any time in the future, it's the sad reality of modern corporate culture.

Advertisement