Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

If you need to shout, you're already on the back foot

This seems to have been done with no fuss at all

https://youtu.be/bmmSDY-dtLY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The British Foreign Office said on Sunday Russia is using a troll factory to spread disinformation about the war in Ukraine on social media and target politicians across a number of countries including Britain and South Africa, Reuters reports.

Can't say I've noticed this happening 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is a common theme with the Russian public in interviews on the street. They're convinced that the western audience is being subjected to propaganda and fake news about Russia and the war. What they don't realise is that people in the west have access to multiple news sources from many countries and can even tune in to what the Russian media are saying about the war.

Russian media coverage is shockingly threadbare by comparison - lots of stuff about the politics of the situation and the sanctions and so on but they don't wish to discuss Russian military or Ukrainian civilian losses i.e. the gruesome things you associate with a war.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK @BurgerFace, you've have been told repeatedly that you are threadbanned from this thread. You have had 2 forum bans for breaching this yet here you are again. I think you've wasted enough mod time at this stage

You are permanently banned from the CA forum

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Climate change, while catastrophic, will lead to the extinction of some/many species on Earth but not life as such or life as we know it. It might however lead to the extinction of humans or at least curb destructive human activity (or even cause a rethinking of humans) and, after a few million years, the planet, while somewhat different, will flourish again. However, without such catastrophic event, humans are unlikely to change their behavior and some of their activities might cause a complete extinction or, more likely, a near complete destruction of life.

The first suspect to cause this would be persistent organic pollutants. Studies show that the amount of plastic already in the environment might, once it disintegrates to nano-particles, will change the chemical composition of the environment that all, or nearly all life will become impossible.

So, if we were to disappear today, maybe only the more complex organisms will, over time, be extinct. But, if we survive another 20 years, maybe we will have produced enough plastic, chemical, bio-chemical, radioactive etc waste that will then inevitably lead to the extinction of all multicellular or just all organisms.

But of course climate change might instead prompt the civilization to produce more harmful material much faster or even destroy all life through nuclear, chemical etc war in a few days or hours. Still, it appears that without any catastrophic event we will destroy all life inescapably. (Again, eventually it will probably re-appear, but it might take billions of years and it might not be at all like the life I cherish).

As to the second point: it was just a metaphor I used in one of my previous posts and it makes much less sense taken out of context. What I meant is that the demand for artifacts blinds humans to the fact that they have nearly destroyed the basis of their existence. I absolutely did not mean to single out iPhones as being particularly harmful. I picked iPhones only because Apple was among the first to discontinue operating in Russia and is also the biggest company on the planet and i picked water because it is the most basic of the things we need. I could have just as well picked BMWs vs air.

I'll find a couple of inks to illustrate my thoughts.

Global human-made mass exceeds all living biomass | Nature

Humans just 0.01% of all life but have destroyed 83% of wild mammals – study | Wildlife | The Guardian

• Advertisement

Weirdest justification from a Putin bot I've heard that nuclear annihilation of humans is a good thing for the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Just wondering in regards the video uploaded yesterday with the drone footage with the bomb falling through the sunroof of the car. What way does it work as the Russian soldiers were injured and you can make it out in the video and they were i presume going off to get medical attention and were taken out in the car and killed, the drone operator would of known this. I mean for example if it was a soldier shot and was trying to get away or heal/bandage himself and the enemy just walked over and shot him dead known perfectly well what he was doing or am I missing something with drones that they may know clearly what it happening on the ground and in that case would of known the soldiers were injured. Can they just keep up the kill factor and get them or is that a crime? Just more wondering in future wars will this be a thing, you injure an enemy with a drone and clearly see there down or trying to make there way outta the Battlefield and you finish them off still. Like I presume if you were a soldier and say you were shot and your there bandaging yourself up and a soldier came along and saw you and shot you it's a crime, is it not technically the same with a drone with the operator finishing someone off like that. Just curious on the rules as such in that scenario with drone operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Very interesting comment and thanks for the eloquent explanation.

Would you be so good as to explain your previous post in relation to "NATO members" having a bad "environmental record" as compared to lets say Russia and its forerunner the USSR and the relevance of that to the present Invasion of Ukraine?

Look at the environmental record of NATO members! The empire, our democratic role model, leads the way to not just mass suicide, but a complete destruction of life as we know it through chemical pollution.

Stop blaming the Russians! You are your own worst enemy! Your greed, your righteousness, your anxiety, fake sense of belonging, entitlement and more greed is what poisons your mind. You will win nothing by debating with me. And I will not debate for it solves nothing. It's either dialectics, violence or deceit. Debate is only a part of the latter: mainly self-deceit in fact. Once you twist my words, it is no longer dialectics. So I won't waste my time, unless of course you learn.

Unless an enemy combatant is in custody or surrendering they are fair game - just because they are bandaging themselves and just as likely to shoot you doesn't mean they aren't fair game

Convention protects wounded and infirm soldiers and medical personnel who are not taking active part in hostility against a Party

I didn't see them raise their hands or wave a white flag

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw a couple of ex-US military people suggesting online that this gruesome video was heading into war crime territory i.e. injured soldiers being evacuated coming under attack....they felt it was bad form to keep on attacking

I can't help thinking also that people like the drone operator will be candidates for PTSD after the war ends. War is a horrendous and disgusting thing and having to kill people must do a lot of damage to the psyche. Large numbers of men returned from WW2 with bad PTSD and never really recovered.

• Advertisement

OK that's fair but I mean with drones you can be a fair bit from the front line and been attacked, it's not like you can surrender to a drone fair enough to an enemy combatant you can. I mean with a drone would you realise your getting attacked by a drone, those lads might of thought it was a mortar round or the likes. Just wonder down the line in future conflicts will there be some sort of rules be made in regards to drones with enemy that are injured. Is it going to be your injured we will finish you off even if ure limbs are blown off you or will there be rules set in place as soldiers might not realise that a drone has done the damage on them that once a drone operator sees they are injured they can't or should not engage them further. If there on about in future drones been fully AI will it just be built into them kill enemy combatants at all cost and take no prisoners even if you see some enemy soldier leaving the field of battle injured to whatever extent or on the Battlefield say more or less dying but another bomb/missile launched at him/her to finish them off for good measure.

Good questions and this war has shown how drones can really be an effective war machine

But these are still soldiers on enemy ground - at what point do you say they are wounded beyond the capacity to keep fighting? Just because a drone wounded them doesn't make them any less a threat to those they are waging war against

As the Geneva Convention says if they are taking part in aggressive action against another state then they do not fall under their rules - not like Russia is even upholding the convention from their side

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The first known case I can think of of a unit surrendering to a drone was in 1991. (And according to the Smithsonian, it was the earliest they know of troops surrendering to a drone as well). Iraqi troops on Failaka island surrendered to an RQ-2A Pioneer from USS Wisconsin (Battleship with very, very big guns)

I don't know just reminds me if some poor fecker shot say out in no man's land and the enemy clearly know he's injured and more then likely out of the war maybe forever or for set amount of time and he is crawling away and they still take pot shots at him intending to kill him. But yeah your right Russia aren't upholding the Geneva convention but just something about the video left a nasty taste in my mouth (one of the first I mean in regards what Ukraine has released that has in regards to combat videos against the Russians), (Russian atrocities horrendous) in regards what was done and what in the future drones will do on a much greater scale, I just think something in regards to rules has to be put in place for them in situations like happened in the video.

Yeah I just thought there might be something there in regards to keep up the attack on them after them been injured and trying to evacuate themselves. I would presume some rules should be in place in regards to it especially going forward in future conflicts as drones will be an even greater role then.

But they weren't all injured so they were all a direct threat - the crux of the convention protection is those not taking part in hostilities, there is a thin line there but I would rather err on the side of caution (the guy was still armed was he not?)

Not sure if he was still armed or not, looked like it killed 3 of them. I just wonder will the rules or war in regards to drones have to be amended in regards to attacks like that in the video. Just for future conflicts if things aren't outlined properly about the way there used and grey areas sure just imagine the way they will be used by some armies down the line. Be like he didn't put his hands up after I blew his legs off and I am a mile in the sky after firing the missile at him, I can see his gun is still in his hands so I will fire another missile at him as I can say his buddy who is also injured throwing him into a van, maybe there going off to the front I can say (but really we know there going for medical attention) they have not surrendered to me. I just wonder what people if there are any on this thread who are in the military or were in it think in regards to the video after the initial attack, just wondering in regards the 2nd attack on them? What way they look at it either if was happening to them or them doing it? Does something have to be put in place for drone attacks in regards the enemy after the initial attack of they are injured? As in the future drones will be doing a hell of a lot more fighting and killing for most armies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pretty sobering article below. Just like the build up before the end of the Winter Olympics it seems its only a matter of time before we get a "War" declaration from Putin (most likely on Victory Day, May 9th) followed by absolute atrocities in Ukraine by the Russians, massive western response then nukes from the Russians.

I just cannot see any other end game at this point, Russia/Putin only knows how to act like the strongman/bully and when they don't get their way any restraints are off.

If "War" is declared on May 9th, I'll be hugging my children tight 😥

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Advertisement

You should probably hug your children every day. They'll like it.

As for Russia destroying itself... I don't see it happening while not directly attacked by NATO. The scare talk by the "TV presenters" is only smack talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Much of what you say is true. I said similar earlier on this forum. But the more immediate concern is that Russia is engaging in war crimes and that needs to be dealt with. They are in the wrong. No amount of geopolitics or history can justify what they are doing.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Russia could not attract countries to its sphere of influence therefore it justifies Nuclear war.

Is that the Incel ideology?

Putin and his cronies definitely aren’t incels that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

were they not RU drones. And while you are at it you might also mention the pilot/ missed operator that attacked the building marked children in Mariupol, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf, there is currently no intelligence being put out there to state that (I believe in that interview quoted he stated that this was his own opinion).

I think if they were prepping for all out war with Ukraine, the West would be shouting it from the rooftops

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The fundamental issue for Russia is western (really United States) encroachment on to it's borders through NATO expansion.

The United States military is now effectively only a few hundred kilometers from Moscow.

Think about that from the Russian perspective and it's easier to understand why they feel they need to push those boundaries back.

In the Cuban missile crisis the US correctly were not going to tolerate a Russian base on their doorstep and didn't. There was no if/buts/maybes.

Yet Russia should accept an even more dangerous (as they see it) position for themselves where they feel they are getting encircled?

It's actually mind boggling how it got this far.

I think the west needs to accept a neutral buffer of countries between it and Russia or things will stay very dangerous and tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

Living in Ireland, I'm actually quite ok with a bit of climate change/global warming.....an extra 5 degrees throughout the year would be absolutely perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

aww man, that gave me a good laugh :-D :-D

you looking forward to the 9th May parade? gonna be as extravagant as a Paddy's Day lockdown parade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement