Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Hope they don't go to 3 minute rounds. It would be a sure-fire way of ensuring any potential rematch would pale in comparison to tonight's fight. It already has an uphill fight in that regard, but 3 minute rounds would kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Would it sell out Croke Park? I'd be going, I think it would but some peeps are skeptical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The relation between this and a Katie Taylor fight is exactly zero. She's spent her life breaking barriers, this one is nothing. It'll happen.

Katie needs to have at least one pro fight at home and Serrano is willing to come - the only way to top tonight as a spectacle is to fill out Croker. Where there is a will there will always be a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I doubted her. Thought she would come unstuck tonight. What a performance. Rose to the occasion as all the greats do. That’s the best she’s boxed in the pro’s by a considerable distance.

Would love to see her retire now. What a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Funnily enough I think Croke Park is easier for Taylor to sell out than the 3 Arena.

The 3 Arena wouldn't make for a big enough event to get the Garth Brooks effect. Where every Tom, Dick and Harry in the country wants to be seen to be going to the big event.

Croke Park with a big announcement, a media blitz leading into it, and constant bombardment of talk about it on national TV and radio and I think it'd sell out no problem.

Actual interest for the fight would likely be 6-7,000 boxing fans. But the event junkies would fill the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dr Karl

Steve Bunce mentioned Croke Park in this program about 10:45 mins in. Dublin is relatively easy to get to from mainland UK so if it is promoted right they could sell it out

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dr Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can see croker happening.

Notice the crowd last night?

More Irish Mammies there than at a Monster Bingo event.

Only weapons confiscated at the door were sets of knitting needles.

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fair play to her! Does that now surpass London 2012?

she’s transcended the sport 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Up there with AJ for the oul transcending 😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

The recent crack down on the Kinahan’s should help the chances of a Croke Park fight I’d have thought.

Would be great if they could make it work. I think it would sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Of course she'd sell out Croke Park, it would be absolutely massive and the world and his mother would want to be there. At this stage of her career, all she's done and achieved, i really don't understand how anyone could continue to underestimate her star power. I don't know about retirement, she has never given any indication it is even close to imminent. I think she should carry on as long as she wants, irrespective of what others think she should do.

She's had a brilliant career regardless of what happened last night and what might happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I felt that as well, but plenty credit they gave Katie as well. At least that’s what I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

They can now mtk is gone. The garda had a major impact in lack of big boxing here since the regency, I can see that stance changing now mtk is gone and kinahan effectively on the run.

Plus matchroom ain't a small hall promoter one of the top two companies in the world who can afford the Insurance etc..

Katie was phenomenonal, what a fight, what a moment in boxing, what heart the both showed.

Cannot think of a better fight for her home coming than the rematch. You are talking mega purses

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

100% agree with this. Everyone and their mother will want to be at croke Park. It sells, I have absolutely no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Unfortunately professional boxing is tarnished in Ireland. 99% certain no fight will happen here. Even if the Kinihans were in jail by then it still wouldn't happen.

On the fight last night, I agree with those saying maybe it's time to consider things while at the top. She was very close to losing. I thought she had.

It would be pity, but if she doesn't hang up the gloves she'll be defeated and it would be an undeserving end to such a phenomenal career.

(I get it for the money at stake and who can blame her?)

But what happens if she loses? And there is a very real chance. That fight was on a knife-edge last night at times. Katie came very close to being stopped.

rematch for what? To line peoples pockets? Vast majority people who attend these events are event junkies.

I’d be sickened if there was a huge rematch homecoming and Katie was beaten convincingly. Of course, she could win, but she’s done it all. She comes across as a really good person , who I don’t think is thinking too much of the money.

Hearn last night came across as a pure money-making leech. His interview was all for making more money on the rematch. Fight barely 5 mins over and his narrative was how can we squeeze more. Vulgar.

The fight last night was fantastic. Nail biting, action packed, so courageous. Katie showed everything, and got the win. But make no mistake, people will soon completely forget that should Serrano beat Katie in Croker. And I’d hate to see that.

Katie will be 36 in a few months. Is healthy, wealthy and loved, and has a brilliant career in the bag. Perfect to get out..

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

I hope in the cold light of day and speaking to her family over the next weeks that she realises she has nothing to prove and that she was at the pit of the well and just about got over the line. She has her health, wealth and her untarnished legacy ...now is the time to bow out, she deserves it. 👏

Just on Katie last night. I can’t recall seeing her as neat, slick, fast, clever, and resourceful. She was so zoned in. Yes, she got caught and was hurt, but that happens.

One the commentators mentioned about Katie needing to get involved, but carefully. And he was dead right. Katie won the fight in the trenches, as much as on the cute sniper side.

It was the times where Katie traded and dug in and landed where I think the judges scored this.

I won’t say a perfect performance, but considering the heat and skill Serrano brought, it was a 9.5/10 from Katie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Two amazing fighters wow such bravery well done to both especially our Katie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yawn, are people still fooled by this boxing ,money grabbing bore fest...........I wonder will there be a rematch...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

First couple of pages of this thread are fun to read this morning. The posters most sure of the result before hand were a fair bit off…

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Lots eating humble pie with the cornflakes this morning! Katie GOAT should retire at top of the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’d like to see Katie knockout Garth Brooks in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I was one of those who was wrong, but I'm perfectly glad to be.

To be honest though, how the fight went actually justifies why people picked Serrano. On the evidence of what we'd seen so far in their career Katie wouldn't have had enough, she had to find the best performance of her career to squeek through, and was close to being stopped.

A sensational display though and I looked forward to watching it back.

Serrano's lack of head movement made it so much easier for Katie to counter, and while the 5th round probably had a fair impact in Serrano tiring, the fact Katie had her swinging hard at fresh air so often aswell was a major contribution.

Katie doesn't need the money for a rematch and it would be a great time for her to retire, but she likely won't.

In similar fashion to mountaineers who decide to continue scaling the highest peaks, even after they've summited them before. Katie will keep going, and hopefully keep summiting........ and getting back down safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’d prefer to see a McGregor ufc event in Croke Park than a Katie boxing event.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

She looks fairly shook in presser, some stamina. I’d like to see her end on top, she’s 35 now, she’s given boxing her whole life, go live a little, the bank is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Does anyone known if the match is being re shown today on Dazn channels or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

She'd sell out Croke Park.

Even I'd go.

Advertisement