Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a van (Dublin)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That is a really impressive build. And interesting that it has proper seats with seatbelts in the living space for the kids. I reckon you could make better use of the space without those seats in the living space. And the price isn't bad at all for what's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paperplate

Hi OP, wondering if you went ahead with this and how this worked for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Paperplate wrote: »
    Hi OP, wondering if you went ahead with this and how this worked for you?

This thread hasn't been posted on in almost a year so it's unlikely the OP will even see your post. You'd be better off visiting the AMA from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I'm still puzzled about the 'permanent' address thing, how is this issue resolved properly and legally by long-term, full-time van livers?

I don't have any relatives that live in Ireland, and no friends that I would impose upon, so that murky solution isn't possible for me.

Is this a problem for Travellers? What's their solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty sure I heard her on radio talking about it so yeah she did go ahead and do it, she was parking on the UCD campus at night time. She said other people are doing it too as they just cannot afford rent in Dublin and driving up and down every day is not practicable.

If you have no family here whose address you can use there is a solution. An Post run a free service for homeless people/people with no fixed address so that they can still receive post. They give you an address and you pick up your post at a post office, they keep it there for you for 20 days. They say the address they give you cannot be used for verification purposes (i.e signing up for a bank account, mobile phone contract, etc) but its just a street address so the company you are signing up to likely wont know it is actually a post office your address is at.

https://www.anpost.com/AddressPoint

The other option is to get a PO Box that you can receive post to but they are not free like the above scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The radio interview with the student living in a van in UCD was around 12-15 months ago

Havent converted a van myself but you will find lots of videos on Youtube by people who have done it on a budget. If you intend to live in it through winter then the most important thing would be insulating it as you will freeze otherwise. You would have to do it right and insulate the floors, walls and ceilings. Would guess the matierals for that would cost somewhere around about 1,000`euro. After that its a bed made from plywood, mattress, lights and whatever else you want. Some people spend 10k+ others spend a hell of a lot less, all depends how basic or luxury you want it to be.

Advertisement