Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Apparently 7.5w needed so I'll have to mix 10w and 5w.

Motul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

I've 7.5 in the airhead, got the wilburs fork oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

No 7.5w here lads do the mix will do the job.

I'll be checking the springs as well.

If the spring has shortened 5mm+, then it's time to replace.

K-tech 10n springs are what MTC in uk use in these for there conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I’m doing brake pads and a bleed tomorrow on a 89 dr750(1st time in nearly 20 years of being on bikes) I’m sure I’m overthinking it but the workshop manual says to only put silicone grease on the calliper axle, with no other grease anywhere. There’s a world of youtube videos out there that mention red rubber, lithium, copper grease etc. and then there are some that say to use no grease. Should I stick with just the silicone or has grease technology come on in the past 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

I’d follow the workshop manual in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Haha nice to know I'm not the only one who has this dilemma,when I done the front pads on my cbr650 I think I had every grease known to man!

In the end I just put a bit of silicone grease on the slider bolt and a tiny bit of copper grease on the pads and that was it.

Going at the brakes this morning

One nice clean freely moving caliper done

That's brakes and forks good for another while.

Nice setup you have there :-)

Everything I have to do is outside on the gravel driveway

a real pain when you drop something & trying to find it among the stones

• Advertisement

Yeah,I did it for years like that.

The older I'm getting, I just had to give myself some comfort.

I'll be 50 in 2 weeks time and I get sciatica every now again after hurting my back when I was 15.

Once I hit 40, my back was hurting for a week or 2 every time after working on bikes/cars.

Latest thing with the last few years is tendons in both arms are giving trouble.

If I have my elbow bent for a while, it get weak and when I go to straighten it it feels like it nearly after locking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ah the joys of ageing. I got myself an ABBA stand the other day not the skyhook but the cheaper swingarm pivot mounted one. I’ll have to turn up a few adapters for the different bikes swingarm pivot bolts. The workshop kit is probably what I need but getting stuff from the UK is too much hassle.

HaHa I'm not in much better nik myself at 57

Happy brithday 2 weeks :-)

Thanks, hopefully it won't hit me too hard 🙈

There's adaptors that you remove a footpeg hanger bolt and adaptors bolt there which enable the removal of the swingarm which is handy if you a few bikes and don't want to be buying loads of adaptors.

Did you get the add-on for front wheel lift?

Sometimes used abba stands pop up on kleinanzeigen which is where I got mine.

Handy piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...when I bought this not long ago, I had zero interest in ever seeing what it was like underneath.

However - and I promise I'll do a thread on it separately to sate your interest - you might as well have a look at what I spent Saturday (and more..) looking at.....

Ladies & Gentlemen, meine Damen & Herren, a Dhaoine Uaisle.........the unredacted 2021 Gold Wing..........

And later when I had it all back together...

I dunno about ye, but I'm still traumatised ............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

you know what, I've done car brakes often, and a certain amount on bikes.

But bleeding them has always been my weakpoint, and I'm not enthusiastic about ABS- equipped bikes. Would you ever be up to showing a how-to on something like that ? : the caliper strips & rebuild I can handle, but getting the bleeding done properly would be interesting to read/see about.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

on my GS you need a computer to bleed the ABS servo unit

I use tubing with a one way hydraulic valve to help with the bleeding.

No abs on any of my bikes unfortunately (or fortunately for me)

The zzr and my Aprillias have a bleeder nipple at the lever so that's a huge advantage.

I start at the bottom and then have no bubbles at the calipers but usually get a couple of tiny ones out at the lever before finishing.

Can be harder to get pressure bleeding a clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Last week put on a lightbar, top case, crash bars (removed Puig Frame Sliders....bit of "rack" to get round metal pieces off!), skid plate, radiator guard and fork brace. That's pretty much it on this lady, more 50/50 type tyres at some stage, get her (more) dirty, Africa Twin style mirrors awaited, maybe fog light brackets out front and strobes (for the blind feckers driving cars!), crash bars are a bit back for that job, but waited to see how it would work out first. All the bits from Cosmo, Greek crowd, seems decent quality.

Ordered just about everything for a full service from Caprimoto today

New Chain, Sprockets, Air Filter, Oil Filter, Anything else I should be doing?

Fitted new front discs and pads a few months ago so they are still fine, have new pads to go on the rear as I didn't do those the first time around.

Was rooting in the shed yesterday and found a new Chain Slider & Alternator Cover that I had ordered months ago and forgot about!

• Advertisement

God this place is dying slowly...

Got around to fitting the New Sprockets and chain during the week and so far nothing has fallen off the bike (touchwood!)

Front sprocket nut was welded on with an Air Gun or something but other than that it was relatively straightforward,

Faffed around with getting the new chain rivets done but eventually got the hang of it.

Do any of you recommend any tools for measuring chain slack?

Chain on the CBR650F touches the underside of the swingarm so its a bit more difficult to measure with just a tape.

Next job is to change the oil and get 2 new tyres fitted and then we should be good to go for the season!

I've a chain monkey tool, but rarely use it.

If you're changing the oil have a look at the Stahlbus oil drain plug, I use them on two bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I VRT'd mine today. My wall of plates is growing, removing a plate that ended in '46' felt wrong though!

What bike did you VRT? I was waiting at the lights going into blanch yesterday beside a thumper with Polish plates

I passed him on the M50 around 3.30ish

CBR 954 is what I VRT'd

Folks, stupid question possibly, but figure this may be the most suitable thread to ask, as ye are obviously more into the DIY side of things.. but I picked up a Yamaha TDM900 (2009) and the throttle handlebar had too much play in it. A lovely gent that lives nearby offered to have a look and sure enough, he got it fixed/tightened it up.

The issue is, however, that the fairings each side of the bike, have clips on them, that the.. dashboard surround (not sure what else to call it!) screws down into, so everything is held nice and tight. However, presumably due to it being 13 years old and being worked on over the years, a few of these plastic clips are broke and were held together in makeshift ways that aren't easy to replicate.

I've seen youtube videos of people using fibreglass putty and such to re-create the clips, but before I end up going down what may be the most awkward and difficult route, I figured it'd do no harm to ask here if anyone's encountered this before (I'm sure it must be a common enough issue) and what the go-to approach generally is?

Cheers.

Could you fit replacement clips if you got them?

I see a lot of places now selling fairing brackets, screws, clips, etc.

They're tabs not clips, I had a look at what was involved last night.

I think the best option would be plastic or even metal thin washers that are the correct ID and OD.

Get some plastic sheet the correct thickness and then you use a two pack epoxy glue to glue them together to make a new tab you glue into place.

Lightly sand and clean anywhere the glue is going to give it a rough and clean edge to grip too.

I would use pinning as well to help strengthen the tabs if you do it this way. There isn't a large surface area for strength, so drilling with a .7mm drill bit and then gluing in .5mm pins will help alot.

If your in Dublin, go to gamersworld on jervis street, they have a modellers pin drill set in there by armypainter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've a 3D pen, basically just the heating element and the feed motor from a 3D printer. Cost about €10-20. As they're so simple to make there's a million of them online so check reviews carefully.

But definitely don't get ideas of how well they work from YouTube, some people can do crazy stuff with them.

Clean area, then rough it up a bit. Use paper, card, or acetate as support then just layer it up. I did it with the bolt in place through the paper and it formed tight enough to have the thread in it so it actually screws in and holds. You can use different plastics so if using the same it can bond very well, I didn't and it still held on good but I could remove it so then just used glue to stick the new part together.

Looks like someone use old spaghetti and then partially sanded it with a bit of wrong coloured paint on top but it's still better than having to cut a cable tie each time. It'll get a second pass eventually.

I've only used it to replace a pair of tabs but I suppose you could make something fully if you did a DIY mould out of any remaining ones. I've also used the pen to weld cracks together sometimes paired with a soldering iron with a flat head.

• Advertisement

Lots to take on board there.. Earlier today I was thinking about this and my thought was maybe if I just glued some washers to where the tab was, with a really good glue, it'd have the same end-result.

I think I may have been over-simplifying it, though! The above ideas seem interesting, but I'll have to google them more. Never dealt with anything 3D related, nor epoxy (that I know of). Fun times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Put a deposit on a BMW R18 Classic today, second hand but only has 850kms on it, and has a nice pipe already.

Time to sell the Harley now.

wasn't up in Joe Duffy by anychance? I was in there getting a part for the R100rs on Tuesday and say the two they have there

Depening on the fairing material you might be able to melt it together. But Plastics tend to only want to stick to the same composition when melting.

I would definitely do something to reinforce where you are gluing or it could just come off again.

Can anybody give me any guidance on power commanders? My bike has an aftermarket exhaust and filter, to get the most from them and smooth out power delivery is my main aim with a PC.

Anything I should be looking out for etc?

What bike is it again?

I've seen lads on the DR650 forums asking the same thing, but quickly getting told it was a jetting kit they needed.

Dynojet do a few different ones, but for the price of them it could nearly be worth getting the bike properly tuned

https://mototuning.ie/

• Advertisement

I live over in Canada, Vancouver to be exact.

The salesman told me as well about their supply issues, sounds really terrifying for a lot of dealerships here.

definitely not the two I saw then haha. Theres some difference in the engine physical size compared to the airheads.

This new airhead is a monster, granted it is smaller in capacity than my HD, physically is dwarfs it.

What are they like to drive? I did notice they come with an optional reverse gear they're that heavy.

I havn't driven anything above 800cc yet, but hoping to get a chance to take Dad's R1200gs for a spin soon.

I can't see him ever getting a R18 though, he's looking at a R100gs as his next bike. One of his friends is after one, and a close friend of his has two airheads, I got his airhead last summer and now he wants one too since he'll be the only one without one xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

See a lad on the first edition R18 on Tralee-Limerick road, you can see them coming a mile away.

Revzilla did a video on whether HD made a better adventure bike or did BMW make a better cruiser, not really meant to be a serious in depth reviews as it's more a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

...fitted 2 new shocks and 2 new silencers to my H-D. Got 15 years and about 50k out of the originals, so can't complain really. I only changed the exhausts because the old ones were getting scabby and I got a set of brand now OEM ones for....... £50. Nobody want's standard ones, so that's a Win for me. The H-D shops are full of OE pipes that end up in the skip eventually.

Shocks are Hagon, and suit the bike, and we great value, and made & shipped to me in 3 days to a slightly custom spec. The best buying experience online I've ever had tbh.

After my near-trauma with my GoldWing a while ago, you appreciate the sheer simplicity of an old school, twin-shock, simple bike to work on. Both shocks & pipes done in....30 minutes with very few tools needed.

Ode To The Motorist

CBR 954.

I am under the impression these could be used to map the bike. The stock ecu isn't writable. It's been a while since I did any ecu tuning myself but I'll get my touch back I'm sure 🤣

Ode To The Motorist

Lots of torque and character, it is very smooth and just trundles along. The reverse is a bit gimmicky to me but I could see a use for it, I just see it as something that could break TBH.

I think if your not use to moving a heavy bike around it's definitely useful.

I'm just glad its an independant lever you need your hand to activate. Can't imagine a reverse gear on the pedal lever being a great idea.

I'd probally have skipped it as an option too, even though on my own bike I've been in situations where I wish I had a reverse gear, but that was off road mostly where I wouldn't have had an R18 anyway!

Agreed, for some spots is a pain to move a heavy bike, I had a GSA1200 and moving that was like moving a barge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Bit boring, but fitted latches to the panniers. I was sick n tired of them opening while driving

My shed is a mess. But I have the 600f in there now and changed the airfilter, on seeing the state of it I pulled a plug, need to order a set if them too.

Kinda gutted I dropped this bike. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

There was a K&N sticker on the airbox bit it was a standard filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I’ve got to fix fairings after my crash this week. I’m going to use ABS glue and ABS slurry to fix them. How bad are yours is there much missing ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement