Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manual 125cc recommendations

Options
  • 22-12-2021 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've been riding around on a learner permit for 5 years driving 110cc automatic hondas

I feel this coming year I should finally do my test

Looking on adverts I don't see any 125cc manual Hondas anyway, any recommendations for a geared bike to do the test on? I would likely buy it with the test in mind then sell it again when I (hopefully) pass

Thanks in advance

Omt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

any bike that isn't a scooter is manual. But for some reason alot of the adverts still state them as automatics.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2007-suzuki-gn-125/29984459

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gn-125/29835426

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bikeworld-honda-cb125f-promo/29941901

you can't really go wrong with a Honda CB125 or a Suzuki GN125

My sister has a GN125, very reliable bike and loads of parts available for them, popular with the delivery drivers so you'll sell a second hand one on for what you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tightspeedos

Cagiva Mito 125

Definitely a manual.

9k klms, and far cooler than a GN125

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm on the hunt lads for a GN 125, stock seems rare enough. I'd like to stick to Adverts due to the feedback system though I will move to done deal if required

Secondly, I have no idea on what to look out for when buying a second hand bike, any tips would be appreciated

Also, I have no idea how to ride a manual 😓 isn't netural between gear one and two or something, half a click?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vstrom rider

I have a little ktm Duke 125 (2015) which can turn on a penny. Its nippy and very fuel efficient especially around town.

• Advertisement

Any pointers about what to look out for when buying a bike second hand? I'm not the most mechanically minded unfortunately

check the obvious areas of maintance,

Chain and sprockets, fork stanchions, tyres, throttle / clutch cables for rust and damage.

If you see damage here that hasn't been addressed by the current owner then imagine the damage that you can't see.

Rust on the exhausts of bikes here is common due to salt on the roads at winter, but it should just be surface discolouration more than holes.

Chain should be within tension for the particular bike and not rusty, or overly oiled up.

Sprockets if they have a hook shape to the teeth, then they need replacing. The front sprocket will do nearly twice the rotation of the rear sprocket, so if the rear is worn, the front is definitely worn.

Fork stanchions being pitted or rusted means you will probally tear and oil seal on the forks later on. These can be repaired with super glue and then sanded down.

you don't want splits on the tyres or **** all tread left on them. But with brand new tyres the release agent can be dangerous for the first 100km . I had a slip the other day because I put a new Mitas tyre on the bike and the release agent on the wet ramp from the apartment garage was like Ice.

Control cables need a bit of WD40 or similar lube everynow and then to stop the wires dryign out or rusting and snapping. Its not expensive to replace them, but its not something you want to happen.

Thank you so much, that's a great overview! Appreciate it

No worries! If its your first time buying a motorcycle go to city spares and have a look at what they have in stock.

If you buy from a private seller, as soon as the log book goes into your name thats it, all the hidden problems are yours now.

If you buy from a dealership you at least have warranty protection

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GN125 is slower than Christmas, there's lots of better bikes out there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My young lad did his 'learning' and his test in a Benelli BN125. Lovely bike. Like all 125's though: slow, but no slower than the others anyway.

Very cheap to run, looks lovely,

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement