Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Great win. Bit panicky at the end but afaik that is Embra's first home defeat of the season.

Scarlets are at home to Stormers so they could turn them over. That and a win over Sharks would give Ulster a home QF.

Anyone know why regular league doesn't conclude in 2 weeks time? 3 week break must be a pain for sides with nothing to play for.

Post edited by Digifriendly on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Because there are two teams from the URC left in the Heineken Cup that could advance to a semi final that weekend.

Also, some of those sides with nothing to play for are playing off postponed matches over the next 2 weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I can't see the Scarlets beating the Stormers...I know they're at home but have they anything to play for?

Not sure how European qualification works? Maybe they still have a chance of that which might spur them on a bit. Welsh regional is an absolute disaster at the moment, worse than its ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good win! Delighted to see a response from Ulster. They will need to grab the bull by the horns v Sharks. They can win and there should be no excuse.

It's like a knock out match for them. A win secures a home qf. They should be fully prepped and rarin to go!

Top of Welsh conference qualifies for Champions Cup and as Ospreys can catch Scarlets, the latter have still a lot to play for.

Also S. African teams have struggled away from home so far.

Agree re Welsh teams. Dragons and Cardiff in particular have been poor. They should be merged IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Cardiff have quite a few big names joining next season do they not?

Though I agree, merging of Welsh teams would have helped. Scottish teams have a few good signings as well. Feels like we don't and the rest are catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oddly I’m not sure the Welsh issue is quality of player really, I don’t think having 3 teams or even 2 would do much for them, maybe move them up a bit but I think they have big issues that Gatland was able to cover up by getting so much out of players and systems.

The signing season isn't over yet. Maybe Ulster can get another couple of signings. The squad is good and deep, they have performed well, imo. The glaring weakness is at out half. After Burns.... they are weak. Flannery could be a nice pick up! They certainly need to be looking for more depth. But, most sides do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe they can get Paddy Jackson to black up (again) and sign him with him using a fake name. Jaddy Packson into the team at 10.

Paddy playing very well at London Irish so they would be reluctant to let him go. He is very consistent and IMHO better all round than Billy Burns.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any of him lately, but better all round than Billy Burns? Well, duh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm not sure it matters what London Irish think. In terms of former Ulster out-halves, a return for Jack Kyle is more likely than for Paddy Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Folks, he wasn't making a serious suggestion; he just wanted to remind everyone that there's pictures of Paddy Jackson in blackface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Does anyone know why D McCann hasn't been in senior match day squad? Was he injured?

I see he's playing for A's

Jordi returns from injury? I'd reckon he isn't trusted enough yet. The back row is deep. Vermuellen and Timoney obviously start, with Jordi with them or on the bench. Then there's the Rea's. His time will come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

UAFC mentioned he's been told to focus on his carrying.

Judging by the match report on the A game on the Ulster website Shea O'Brien seems to have gone well at FB.

He seems to be pretty good. Had hoped Sexton might have been more noteworthy.

Because McFarland is being very conservative in how quickly he's bringing him through.

Work on his carrying. Pah! Josh van der Flier wouldn't have broken through till 18 months ago if selectors had taken the same attitude with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

McFarland is anything but conservative. He's shown consistently over his tenure, that he'll select who he thinks is best regardless of age. Doak, McIlroy and Moxham all got regular game time and started European games straight out of 20s when he could easily have stuck with older, more experienced guys. So if McCann isn't playing he obviously has a reason for it. Did he not also give Lowry his debut in a H Cup match when he was just 20?

van der Flier is a 7, carrying isn't his primary role. Ball carrying is literally the main job of a number 8. If McCann's carrying is weak, that's something he needs to improve if he's to ever make it.

• Advertisement

McAnn is still young. No need to be worried about his minutes. He will get opportunities next season. Vermuelen playing automatically decreased his minutes.

I still would have expected McCann to have got a few minutes here and there. I think actually the emergence of Marcus Rea this season is probably a bigger factor in his lack of minutes than the arrival of Vermuelen.

Rea has been outstanding and to be honest has as much right to be part of the conversation for the NZ tour as some other young back rows being mentioned in dispatches.

Actually I'd say Rea has been the breakthrough player of the season....actually that's not true, Doak has been, but we saw that coming a mile off, not so much with Rea.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I always mix the Rea's up.

The good one is Marcus right? He's the younger one?

That's the one. Serious, if overdue, breakthrough for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Conor rankin seems to have left the academy. Not sure where he's heading.

Massive match upcoming! I fancy Ulster and think they'll be ready to go. A home qf would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

The Ulster Rugby Medical Performance team has issued a squad update ahead of Friday’s United Rugby Championship fixture against Cell C Sharks at Kingspan Stadium.

The following players are currently unavailable for selection due to injury:

Jack McGrath (hip)

Will Addison (lower leg)

Jacob Stockdale (ankle)

Cormac Izuchukwu (shoulder)

Greg Jones (thumb)

Marty Moore (concussion)

Tom Stewart (hamstring)

Stuart McCloskey sustained a groin injury in the recent URC win against Edinburgh. His availability for selection for the Cell C Sharks game will be monitored through training this week.

Problem is TH - with O'Toole banned, we're looking at Milasinovich and Kane.

No issue with Moore coming in for McCloskey if needs be. Presumably it means Hendo is ready to rock. When did he last play for Ulster without going off injured?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Said it already, a league final is the absolute minimum this year. Given how flaky our team is, we absolutely have to win this one to get a home knockout game.

• Advertisement

Apparently O'Toole has served his ban and is available, Hendo might still be injured.

I had forgotten all about him, but would be delighted to see Marshall slot into 12 - I seem to recall him going well before with Hume. Much more likely to get a nice grubber through with Luke than Big Stu.

Advertisement