Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭reclose

It would be great to see her sell out croke park.

I think martins comments about pro boxing were about MTK more so than a reputable company like matchroom.

it doesn’t really matter if she loses her last fight or two if it’s at a high level. Pretty much every top boxer loses their last few fights and it doesn’t effect their legacy or reputation. They are remembered for when they were at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,287 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I gave Katie 1 and 2, Serrano 3. 4 and 5, Katie 6, Serrano 7, Katie 8, 9 and 10.

The first four were all very close and I couldn't disagree with anybody going either way on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. Agreed. I gave the first four of them to Katie based off cleaner and sharper work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The American DAZN scorer Gave Katie the 1st then gave Serrano 2,3 and 4.

Those rounds were very close and how you scored them determined the outcome. I really don't see any controversy in any of the scoring. I think the 2 minute rounds make it harder to score close rounds in women's fights and that's why there always seems to be a lot of variance in the scorecards.

Yeah it's what you look for, Katie had cleaner work but in 3 and 4 Serrano had slightly less volume but hit much harder.

• Advertisement

Katie’s left hook, check-hook and lead right hand were key last night. Very sharp on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looking at the stats they both got hit with a record number of punches in that fight. Serrano hit Taylor with 44 shots in that 5th round, it was such a dominant round which made Taylor's performance after that round all the more impressive.

It would be such a high to go out on, it would be how you would finish the movie. I think the lure of Croke Park might be too much though, money-wise and the fact that she could retire with a homecoming win (which is obviously a massive gamble).

Did anybody listen to Clarissa Shields after the fight? (not about the fight - just about herself) - it was quite an entertaining ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Interesting to see the 10-8 5th round too. If judge 3 gave Katie the last 4 rounds (like the others did), he’d have scored it a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Watching the highlights it looks like Serrano was well on top, serious performance from Katie to come back from the 5th, serious heart and determination.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

10-8 5th a possibility, but maybe 10-9 best. Katie was still firing and landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Pass the coordinates on to Putin, let him take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I know I gave Katie 3 of the first 4 but can't remember if I'd given Amanda round 3 or 4, will rewatch and I gave Katie a clean sweep of 8,9,10 for a 97-93 but the fight was so competitive at times I'd not have called a draw a robbery tbh.

Delighted for her, she produced a career best performance in my opinion and needed it to get though. It's possible she needed that kind of challenge after so long at the top of her game.

The atmosphere was incredible, truly a great night for boxing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus where would we play the all ireland finals?

Some heart from Katie, best I've seen from her in the pro ranks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I gave Serrano the 5th 10-8 too. It was such a dominant round I felt she deserved it as there was nothing much in any other round.

I think she really emptied her tank that round trying to get the knockout and it probably cost her the fight for the sake of a single point.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I really do hope she retires too. To have come back and scraped that W, if you quit now with no Ls you'll be the greatest woman boxer of all time for possibly ever. While someone bigger and badder always comes along, with no Losses it would be hard for anyone to debate against her being the GOAT - even in the unlikely event someone ever achieves anything equal to what she's done. Especially with that amazing late comeback. she looked for all the world like going down.

But she won't. Great athletes almost never go out when they should. And of course, there's loads of money in a rematch.

If I was Katie I would not be itching to fight that girl again. And certainly not in Croke Park. As has been said, if she loses there that would tarnish her legacy and be just a major downer for her and all her fans here. Serrano would have a tough time getting a decision here but still... Not a hope I'd do that if I was Katie.

Stunning stuff.

Everything about that fight was magnificent; significance, atmosphere, sportsmanship, the fight itself...the whole occasion was top tier.

Katie Taylor will have statues in more places than just Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

But harsh for Serrano to lose that fight. I think it should have been a draw.

Can't agree with the 10-8, it needs a knockdown or to totally dominate the round for that. Katie hit her many times in that round so it cannot be a 10-8.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fair play to Katie. I feel she won the fight. She done amazing to hold on after nearly getting knocked out in which ever round that was. I honestly nearly went to bed as I didn't want to see that happen but kept watching.

I honestly believe she is slowing down due to age. I don't know if she realises it yet herself. Not just this fight but I have noticed it the past few fights. The fights are getting harder and she is getting older so not a good combination.

• Advertisement

Was her best performance to date, though. Everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Anywhere to watch the full fight? Ideally with irish commentary. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What a fight that was. That 5th round - I have no idea how she's didn't hit the canvas. Was full sure then that she was not going to survive beyond the sixth. However, the way in which she came back out and gained control of the fight was phenomenal. I had it 3-3 after 6 but it was very close in a number of rounds I thought. From 7-10, I think only one of those round could be argued in favour of Serrano.

Was not going to get up to watch it but the young lad woke for a bottle at 3 and I decided to watch it after he was back asleep. Glad I did now.

It's a great shame Jimmy Magee didn't get to witness last night, or even better, commentate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Paul O'Flynn on RTE Six One News, just said Katie Taylor's name can now be mentioned in the same light as Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. I think people need to tone down the over the top hype after this fight. Women's boxing is a minority sport that due to Katie Taylor's success has attracted a lot a bandwagon jumpers.

But it’s the world we live in today. Everything is ridiculously exaggerated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Boxing is a minority sport that attracts bandwagons. The general sports fan here and elsewhere couldn’t name 10 current boxers

Not to say your man wasn’t OTT. He definitely was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was thinking the same this morning.

Magee would’ve absolutely relished the whole thing.

The bould Sean Bàn Breathnach was at it as far as I know, they played a clip of him at the press conference on RTÉ radio earlier.

Advertisement