Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If we had started the season the way Marsch has us playing, we wouldn't be in this trouble. I still would have opted for the rollercoaster of the last few years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Really? What has changed? We are still conceding terrible goals, we still have no cutting edge and we still can't pass a ball. In fact, it was like Spurs MkII. We could have scored 4 in that one as well. I see no difference in what we're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

We would have ground out better results against weaker sides, with a squad with less injuries (IMO) and with a couple of key signings in January.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Bielsa era after decades in the doldrums, but his ego blinded him at the end by not adapting his philosophy to the resources available to him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah absolutely this. We are still going to lose to the sides like City but we’d have picked up points earlier in the season and our goal difference certainly wouldn’t have been as bad. I’ve said it earlier but I think if we go down it will be on goal difference.

If we manage to stay up I think we could have a good team next year if players suited to the system can come in and Marsch gets a pre season with them.

Squad depth is the area that would frustrate any coach who came in in Marsch position now though. Looks like Dallas will be out with an ACL or similar and who knows what the story is with Cooper.

We should never have let Drameh go on loan for instance - the guy is player of the season for Cardiff after only being there a few months and we wouldn’t consider giving him game time. I loved the Bielsa years but there are certainly criticisms that can be made.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn’t hold my breath for bringing in many players judging by Orta’s remarks. Small squad again with U23’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Femural fracture for Dallas, so that'll be a good spell out alright. I'd hazard a guess at October return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

relegation odds before Friday today

Everton 5/6 11/13

Burnley 6/4 9/2

Leeds 9/2 5/2

Technically its out of our hands now, as if the others win all their remaining games we are going down. Good to see bookies still think Everton are worse off. This is a day that I couldn't have foreseen, but for 90+ minutes today I am cheering on Chelsea.

Then you see this on bbc.com "Everton are aiming to win four successive home wins against Chelsea for the first time since 1973."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

if we finish 17th, he cant stick to that thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

We weren’t that bad yesterday for certain periods of each half. The really gutting thing was the soft concession of two set piece goals when we were in the game.

We’re also really struggling when we get into good positions in the final third. Think some of the players are showing a lack of composure and vision when we’re getting into good positions. We created a few good situations but never capitalised.

City are a class act. Dias was immense,in the right place regularly to deal with any of the danger we created.

At one stage the subs were warming up in front of the West Stand. We had Greenwood,Joffy and Cresswell. They had De Bruyne, Mahrez and Bernardo Silva. Says it all.

There’s no doubt that the fans are still on board. Very rare you’d see a team losing 4 zip at home get that sort of reaction. Went on for ten minutes after the final whistle.,Was amazing.

• Advertisement

He said it only recently, when we were 15th.

What I find strange, thinking about it last night, is that we went after Che Adams when we had a fit Bamford, yet we didn’t seem to be chasing any striker this January? Single biggest factor in our situation today. Toothless again yesterday.

Dallas has a broken leg, poor fecker. Femoral fracture, actually 8-9 months.

Everton one up. Jesus

F*ck, Everton 1 up against Chelsea. Everton doing the same as they did to us, getting in to Chelsea from the off, and rattling them. Just missed the chance to go two up.

should be 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Bound to happen, probably win two or three.

Watched the first half, Everton fighting against relegation and Chelsea with no urgency seem to be happy to tip away and if they score they score.

• Advertisement

pickford having some game

I give up. Chelsea throwing kitchen sink at Everton and Pickford plays like an international keeper.

ball hits 2 posts then Pickford makes wonder save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Of course Chelsea, wow, let’s goooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not getting anyone in in January was suicide for Leeds.

• Advertisement

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I think we’re done. Everton just have to beat Watford. Don’t see us beating anyone. Shame really.

Can't accuse Chelsea of not trying, they were just terrible. Drawn into the niggly crap by Everton, and seemed to lose their focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I didn't think I could possibly hate Chelsea more, useless shower, 78% possession and still can't score. We need to take something from the Arsenal or Chelsea games. I think yesterday was better and showed some progress but we just lack composure. It will go down to the wire but I still believe we can stay up by beating Brentford on the last day. We will need at least two, maybe three points before then so hopefully we get a bit of luck against Arsenal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think we are in serious trouble, I think we'll go down. I just don't see where the goals are going to come from playing Marsch's really narrow system. It's baffling really, all our attackers are wingers yet Marsch wants to play through the middle!

Going down playing this sort of football is far worse than going down and it being fun. Gamble by the board doesn't look like it's going to work out.

No one is going to get on the end of a cross, I think narrow is the only option we have.

What we did under Bielsa this season was absolutely not fun

I don’t blame January necessarily. I think it’s more so the board thinking we were solid after finishing 9th last year.

• Advertisement

All so predictable though, isn’t it

Late winner for Burnley, injuries to Cooper and Dallas, and now Chelsea rolling over in the face of an aggressive display from Everton.

Even though I’ve genuinely thought we were in serious trouble for a long time now, have to admit I couldn’t see Everton beating both Man United and Chelsea. You just couldn’t write it. The two teams our fans hate the most losing to a relegation rival. I thought we would fail because I couldn’t see where the wins were coming from.

It’s just so disappointing. After everything we went through to get promotion, the years of mid table mediocrity,the heartbreak of 10 man Wigan and the defeat to Brentford in 18/19, thinking we’d blown it after Forest and then finally making it up after the lockdown. Now we’re on the brink of throwing it all away again and facing God knows how long in the wilderness again.

It’s just so “ Leeds “ isn’t it. Failure to build on last season’s success with targeted recruitment. Spending 25 million on Dan James, just because he was available. Not sure where this all ends to be honest. We will lose half the team, Cooper, Dallas, Ayling, Klich etc will all be a year older. We’ll have no Pablo to guide us through the rigours of the Championship. It’s devastating.

Apologies for banging on but it’s a nightmare.

On a slightly amusing note, once Georgie Kelly left Bohemians I never thought I’d see him live again. Now look at him sealing Rotherham’s promotion with a stunning goal on his debut.

It wasn't going to work anyway gamble or no gamble. Bielsa was in freefall himself.

The board played their suicidal bad hand in the January transfer window. "We have enough quality without spending any money" based on a few good results over the Christmas period

Marsch steadied the ship somewhat, but it wasn't enough. The damage had already been done by Bielsa and the board.

Terrible sigings didnt help, james has the touch of an 8 ft stevie wonder, firpo, could be seen after a couple of games why barca wanted rid, finishing so high last season messed us up completely, was plain to see how average the team was and how a couple of injuries' to our bare thin squad would affect it, radz and orta have got plenty praise, time they ship some criticism now. Radz wishing he sold last year now i bet.

We can still stay up. All we need to do is match the survival instincts of Burnley and Everton.

Slogging out decent results against the bigger teams.

Well.....maybe not.

While I think we will pick up points, Everton and Burnley will pick up more than us.

They can rise to the occasion and also get rewarded for pushing on, we push but don't get the reward. Is it luck, is it composure under pressure I just don't know.

No it wasn't, but he had credit in the bank and was sacked too soon. Embracing the chaos was far better viewing than being overly structured. The one thing I feared after the sacking was games being tight, structured yet still going down. Give me a 7-0 loss to City and relegation over a 4-0 tightly structured loss and relegation.

This is primarily on the board anyway, a lot of money will be lost by the Americans on it, they definitely didn't want that investment for championship football.

I think with Marsch he can go into the analysis room and say defensively we did this right and that right (in open play anyway). I'm not sure you can do that with Bielsa, it's just running around after your man. Imagine players coming in after a 7-0 from City after chasing shadows for 90 minutes, you need to keep confidence up with positives, right now this is as much about psychology as it is about performing.

While I wouldnt disagree with anything your saying, and something had to be done, being able to take positives out of games won't mean much if still get relegated. I said it around time of the sacking, if the play tightens up and still go down, they just become another watford/Norwich. Absolute shite craic that is, would rather not be in pl than play like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Drameh had 3 PL appearances before Xmas and would have had many more had he stayed.

Bielsa wanted him to stay for that very reason but also agreed to give an unhappy player experience elsewhere. And after circa 25 games with Cardiff he's going to return a hell of a lot better than when he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

I think we pick up 5 points. If we do that, we'll have 39.

I'm not sure I see Burnley getting 5 or Everton getting 7 if I am honest. Could be wrong of course, but have a feeling. I've always thought it could come down to the last day and I think it still will

I agree it's awful looking at teams tightening up but it's hardly Everton v Liverpool. At least we are still getting forward in our own time not just sitting extremely deep and countering, raph and Harrison track they don't automatically drop to just infront of the LB and RB for example.

Marsch is known for pressing not sitting, they picked him for his similar style to Bielsa but with more structure around defence.

Any stats on how many we have concede from open play since Marsch took over?

Burnley and Everton are fighters and their defenders know the basics of defending when it is required. Leeds don't.

But our big problem yesterday was attacking.

We were in some great positions yesterday, but our players don't have the foresight to get that killer pass into the path of another player.

We could have scored at least 3 times if they were more intelligent with the ball and more accurate.

I suppose that's what separates a £10 million player from a £70 million player. Football intelligence.

Everton at home are a different proposition. They got in Chelsea players faces, Havertz in particular, and put them totally off their stride. Not usually difficult for us to get embroiled with Chelsea.😁

Everton have 3 away games, albeit one against Watford, and 2 home. Poor, poor record away. They seem to win a big game and then get beaten again.

Burnley v Villa x 2, Newcastle and Spurs. Not beyond the bounds of reason that they don’t get a point from them. Although Burnley have been here before, and are showing self belief now.

We need to go wide, and place our faith in Joffy for the last 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We are where we are is a pretty awful cliché yet that sums up where things are at the moment. This is the closest point to relegation all season and sadly the risk is quite high.

The Lazarus like revival of Burnley and Everton suddenly remembering how to win means this is now the scenario that most people believed wouldn't come about, even in recent weeks. On balance the chances of survival are heading for 60% against. That said, there may be twists both good and bad between now and at the end of this month.

Post mortems are usually for after everything is over but there are some glaring issues that jump out.

I don't want to speak ill of Bielsa in any way given how his genius turned a very average mid table Championship team into a Premiership side. There are so many positives in his contribution and he well deserves his legendary status.

However, it's his flaws that are part of how the story is unfolding this season. The damage done to the team by long term injuries is undeniable but perhaps it is in his own approach where most of the difficulties arose.

I know people argue that he gives a chance to youth and perversely it's great to see so many young kids on the bench but few of them are yet good enough to take a chance on. Gelhardt aside, there are no Fodens, Elliotts or Gordons. Teams want to manage young players on the amount of time they're exposed to the top level but when a Bielsa Leeds team functions with a little over 12 senior players problems can arise very quickly, and they did with the huge number of injuries.

Injury probably was the biggest killer on the season but when those who might be able to step up are not fully trusted it just magnifies the problem. The Bielsa small squad policy further compounds this.

Equally, his stubbornness to maintain the same, albeit very entertaining, method of play was found out when key positions were not filled for long parts of the season. One thing we have seen from all the best coaches is an ability to adapt to circumstances. Did he really do this often enough?

My own feelings about him on the coaching side are mixed. I think he's a brilliant player coach  and strategist but he’s not always able to get the best out of a team. When they click it's absolute magic, but chaos and dross when it doesn't.

His tactics this season have subjected players to far too many absolute drubbings IMO. No matter how strong a player is mentally that kind of thing is very hard to deal with. Not many of the players who excelled last season have risen to the challenge this year. We also had the rumours back in February of players approaching him to change the system.

A further negative was the January transfer policy. The attitude to January is a pretty solid and understandable one and teams can overpay for very average players but this was a team who were already missing their main striker for four months and no sign of anyone else stepping up. Unfortunately, this time it was a very bad call not to get a man in who could score goals.

So stay up or go down, it's been a challenging season. It's also probably right to say that the call to remove Bielsa was the right one, but it might have needed doing a little bit earlier. Marsch may work some magic but there is a sense of disappointment at how this season has worked out.

Agree with all of that. It’s been a terrible season with very few bright spots. At this stage I wish it was like that Football Manager game and we could fast forward, simulate the games, get to 22nd May and find out our fate. The waiting for the almost inevitable is so difficult.

The Dallas thing is really sad too. Chances are he doesn’t get to play with KP,Pat and several of the other lads he has been through the wars with ever again.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if Van Der Beek had of been playing for Leeds instead of Everton when we played them (and we had first dibbs on him in January), we would probably have won that match on the day.

It was the Van Der Beek show that day. He slaughtered us.

That was basic stuff Bielsa needed to get right and he didn't. He landed us in the doo-da refusing the offer especially given that we had key players out in January.

If we go down, Bielsa also turned a Premier League side into a Championship side with his naïve mistakes and stubbornness.

Klopp said about being in the relegation zone that your team may be losing but so are the teams around you. We have a tough eight days ahead but so do our two rivals. Burnley have done well recently but I don't think that form will endure. None of the four games against Villa (2), Newcastle and Spurs are easy and I still see them finishing 18th. One poor result and panic may set in, not having Dyche to stabilise them may still be their downfall.

I see Leicester beating Everton but if both of our opponents win and we get nothing at the emirates then I'll really start to worry. Until then......

Is Leicester and Villas will to win bigger than Everton and Burnleys fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Everton do appear to have the easiest run in with the one caveat as mentioned by whiterebel their away form is poor. Burnley are grinding out results and whilst I don't expect them to get points from all 4 games, they could turn over Villa in one of them and Spurs are still quite inconsistent so it's hard to know what to expect from them.

Arsenal away won't be easy but if we can really get into them they may not like it. If on the other hand we let them play then it won't go well for us. Looking back at the history, the highest total to get relegated since the PL went to 20 teams was West Ham in 02/03 with 42 points. The way things are going, we may need to look at something similar given our goal difference. Really we need to look at it as if we're on 33 points right now, not 34. 2 wins and a draw minimum from the 4 imho, which means we really have to get something on Sunday. It's a big ask.

Both can move up the table, earn several million more and make the upper half so you'd hope so. I'd assume that the club is putting pressure on to do so for financial reasons and Gerrard, especially, has something to prove.

But of course I don't know the answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement