Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Google Certificate Courses

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

My son was midway through the "step into tech" course Microsoft has to offer, when he discovered this one.

He wouldn't be too bad with computers (certainly would be head and shoulders above me) but he said, and I quote "Microsoft one is bloody rocket science compared to this" - as he started this one last Saturday, and is now on week 4/6

My question though is, is the Microsoft one a lot more challenging because the certificate is more widely recognised in the industry, and hence more likely to lead to a job opportunity for him, or will the Google one be equally as useful?

Not trying to put you on the spot here, (as I know you are involved in this project professionally)?

He has a job here within the family business already, but if he's insistent on getting an IT qualification, far be it from me to stand in his way.

Sorry for the questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Hi Bkelly - no apologies needed. I can't really comment on the Microsoft one as I don't know what the content is like but they seem to generally have the same purpose. Certainly for the Google ones they are aimed at people with little or even no experience in the subject matter so it starts with the basics. The Microsoft ones perhaps assume a certain level of knowledge.

In general, in both cases I would classify them as stepping stones rather than something that will result in an immediate job (although that is also dependent on the individual and their background as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm doing the same course as your son and it definitely gets more challenging. The second course 'bits and bytes' has a lot of technical information and the third course has much longer units.

Just an update, I recently got a help desk job. Not exactly IT support but definitely a stepping stone. I'm not sure how much doing the cert helped in the interview as the interviewer didn't even bat an eyelid when I mentioned it but I definitely think it helped me when I was asked a networking question. During the training I also had some idea about the technical jargon because of the course but the trainer told us what's what anyway.

A midpoint conclusion, definitely not a waste of time as it showed I had an active interest in IT, but the course is more designed to entice your interest in IT rather than having you fully ready for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You're talking about a microsoft course? Are they free too? Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It was the it support with Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Tipping away on the Project Management course...are these once completed worth sticking on the CV as I might look at others once done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Hey @jethrothe2nd , you guys doing data analytics on the users of the courses and care to share any cool screenshots of dashboards or whatever, GDPR allowing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Just fyi, all licenses have now been utilised and no further applications are being accepted.

How are people getting on with the Data Analytics? I'm starting course 6 of 8 today.

I finished it a couple of months ago. It got progressively harder. Well worth doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Would be really interested in the PM course, is it possible to enrol at this stage, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Apply anyway (link in first post). I applied in March and was accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Oh great, cheers for letting me know

How long after applying did they get back to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can't remember exactly, but wasn't long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

Are these courses doable while working a 40 hour week?How realistic is the recommended/suggested 37 hours per week?

They are doable ya and even if you miss a few weeks you can extend the deadline.

Advertisement