Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

I’m doing Airbnb this year. I’m not in an RPZ zone. It was the best thing I’ve ever done and wish I had had the opportunity to do it sooner.

I WONT be going back to long term renting and I’m not selling it either. I’ll use it for myself and visits from family. All the political parties can go **** themselves as far as I’m concerned. They just lost tax revenue from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

how much does stuff like this deter people? do airbnb check up on listings to see if they have applied with Local authority? airbnb is probably more of an issue in dublin than anywhere else. hopefully it makes some sort of a difference but this is ireland so its hard to assume it will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

restricting air bnb appears to work in other countries with similar housing issues .... with current homing crisis here government has no choice but to find solutions fast i.e. make it work - next election in under 3 years . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Im probably selling a four bed house in Newbridge this year and it will likely fetch circa 370 k , Im tempted to buy an upper end of the market apartment as while yield will be modest , marquee properties are what should stand the test of time so when property is expensive everywhere , might as well buy the good stuff

on those apartments in Ballsbridge , the 4 K plus per annum management fees are probably a deterrant ?

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Far as I remember Dublin CC has not been properly enforcing the rules so they were being widely flouted.

• Advertisement

All to look like the good boys of Europe. It's disgusting how hard we're trying to impress the bigger boys at the determent of our own people.

They should be done for treason

Again our aim is to be the best little Europeans as possible. Why would you fix things at home and get no condescending pat on the head by Europe ???? F*&k that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I think you two need to get a grip. The Ukrainian people did not cause our housing crisis, they are fleeing a war and only here on temporary visas.

The minister was on radio today.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4qVLTJNFqZWXAMhVK6mzU7?si=rIftM8djQ_-EfXljwGVTFg&utm_source=copy-link

He identifies people coming from the EU to Ireland and arriving here homeless as an issue. We've become an attractive destination for many EU immigrants and the state has not kept up at all. That should be something relatively easy to solve as we can make the case that we need support for these people from the EU. Sadly, most opportunities to proactively solve these issues have been wasted.

The Nama was a disgrace and a wasted opportunity.

I would say, don't blame the Ukrainians or immigrants, the state is the one to blame

On another note.

1.3 million for a 4 bed bungalow in delgany. I think we've hit the next level in house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Who's blaming Ukranians?

I dont think it is unreasonable to ask how money that we were told is not there to house anyone is now suddenly available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Blame old people…blame the government….blame the Ukrainians…..blame the funds…blame social housing…..when the problem is that as a country we build f all for 10 years while our population expanded with skilled immigration to fill job vacancies

your naive if you think they will be here only temporarily. We are in a housing crisis so we should set a limit based on housing available. Housing prices and rents are rising and rising. If you have a house its grand, if not, the situation justs keeps getting worse

we have a new winner

145sqm, in need of some modernisation and not even an acre of land

thats shocking

On a main road too. I don't know where all the money is coming from. Our max is about 1.2. it's pretty horrifying to think that's what you get for 1.3 now. Euro has been tanking against the dollar, so maybe it's adjusting to reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That’s depressing you’d assume there must be development value or something can’t see anyone paying that for that as a single dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Am I looking at the ad wrong of have the current owners drawn up plans for both a 9 and 7 unit use of the land?

If it had planning permission they'd state it but I am assuming they're selling on the basis that the new owner will be developing rather than living there.

Is this right or wrong you think? Also, what do you think the profit would be on paying 1.3 & building 9 units, the absolute best case scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

the government are entirely at fault. Sick of hearing about the funds, any one who thinks it's their fault is an idiot. Company in profit maximization shocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

You are trying to conflate posters criticising government policy with blaming those who benefit from it. Sounds good but its not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Fair point, in that decade, we had multiple policies and apparatus that deterred building

NAMA, punitive borrowing costs for development, selling development land to investment funds happy to sit on IT while the practice was accommodated by the state. Regulation that disencentivised small developers, while large devolopers had there hands tied in NAMA.

The best time to invest and build is at the bottom of a crash, this appears to have been wholly prevented by the state.

A massive missed opportunity for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes I just looked at the pics but reading the ad this is being sold as a site not a house.

as to what you could make off developing it, I wouldn’t be qualified to say, but if it sells at that someone must see a return !

• Advertisement

The days of the small developer are long gone since 2008 as they don’t have access to credit to build as banks won’t lend to them due to the capital cost that was introduced worldwide to prevent the risks that caused the banks worldwide to go bust…..The government had no say in this being adopted. Without Funds providing finance there would be no developments undertaken as no developer would have access to finance because the banks won’t lend for property development.

NAMAS mandate was to recover costs and make a profit where possible….This is what the country wanted to see to recover costs of the bank bailout.

I agree that we should have been building after the crash and the government should ideally have stepped in and built but let’s not forget the country was bankrupt and the IMF and Germany were dictating a policy that they have since admitted was flawed and that made the recession worse.

Just look at the numbers of immigrants that came to Ireland to fill well qualified jobs this put as much pressure on the housing market as the Ukrainian refugees are at the moment and this increase in demand caused rents to rise as there was no developments happening because people previously employed in the building trade took up employment elsewhere. If the government was able to step in and build after the crash this wouldn’t have happened. The German and IMF policy of austerity contributed to the housing crisis we see today. And just to be clear I’m not blaming Immigration as they are paying takes and contributing. I am just pointing out that this lead to an increase in demand that was unable to be meet because house building wasn’t happening due to access to finance, lack of workers and the fact that it takes time to get the building machine up and running to be able to deliver in any meaningful quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

That’s being sold as a site, not a house. The price would actually be slightly higher were the house demolished. It’s near some very high density so would likely get planning no bother.

We went to see 3 or 4 similar places over the last few years. Places that clearly made no sense price wise for an individual but priced for development. Have noticed they are very sticky. They were the only houses we had estate agents chasing us up on. We’d say

’That’s for a developer. Not for us’

’We thought so too but the build costs are so prohibitive that the margin isn’t there for developers…it’d be a fine family home for you though if you knocked it and built a mansion…’

So they tended to sit there. This for example has been up for nearly two years.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/high-grounds-lower-kindlestown-greystones-co-wicklow/4489567

No I’m not I’m just summarising what posters have been blaming for the housing crisis in recent posts. As for the BS of blaming older generations it makes no sense…Really is it there fault that we have a shortage of housing because they bought a house that they lived in their whole life!!!!

There are green fields all around Ireland but only a limited amount of land devoted to residential property….There is nothing to stop new land being rezoned and built on or a new city/town being developed outside Dublin now that working from home is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Agree with you mostly, but there is clearly an issue in Ireland in terms of the allocation of a scarce resource (I.e. housing). A clear issue with older people occupying (and severely under occupying them) houses which is causing catastrophic societal issues.

Sure they can say it’s not their fault. But it’s an issue nonetheless.

If we compared housing to hospital beds (both critical resources which the government could and maybe should have done better to resource adequately, but they didn’t, and it can’t be fixed short term), imagine a scenario where you could ‘own a hospital bed’ and young people starting taking them for over en masse for childbirth (hypothetically) but then just held onto them ‘just in case’ leaving elderly across the country completely without healthcare.

You could make some arguments of ‘well I own it and if you want one then don’t look at me, it’s governments fault for not having more’.

again true, but doesn’t make it any less of a societal disaster. Housing is so f*cked that sadly drastic action is required urgently. Just building more will be too slow. I strongly believe that the solution should include aggressively driving older people out of larger homes (property taxes, bedroom taxes - whatever it takes) to better use the finite resource for the greater good of society. But some chance of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

In advanced economies immigration is generally people from poor backgrounds working in low paid jobs that others wont do. In Ireland we turned ourselves into a tax haven for the IT sector, that brought very well paid niche jobs and the last decade has seen the international experts in those areas come en mass to Ireland as EMEA HQ and price the locals out of the cities. Its a disgrace that we have no one brave enough to actually say that this type of investment is bad for the country, and I say that as someone working for meta.

We need to be working on building masses of jobs in the median income bracket, we need to work on state building housing that normal people can afford and we need to have a serious conversation, across the EU given the France election and Brexit, if open borders with countries whose living standards and aspirations are much lower than ours is good for society.

Unless a viable alternative is provided where are older generations meant to go live? Are you saying they need to move away from an area they have lived there whole life and leave all their friends and live in the country away from services that they need on an ongoing basis such as hospital and health care just to free up housing in a sought after area with a nice address. If there were were smaller homes to downsize into in their area that would be start but they don’t exist and apartments are not an option unless they are ground floor.

you can’t blame older generations for the fact that their are limited options even if they wanted to downsize. Well planned alternatives are required before you start kicking them out of there homes and as you said building takes time

These workers are paying taxes the same as you and I so it’s not there fault. Just look at San Fran and you see similar issues with housing and the need for lotteries for locals to be able to access housing. The big mistake is to have everything concentrated in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭johnboy92

San Fran literally is the other city on earth that made all the same mistakes in the past 20 years, the entire economy based on a niche tech industry making an influx of international nerds rich and screwing the local people out. Take the IFSC, I don't see it as a good thing. 30 years ago those areas where full of normal families living in council homes and working on the docks. Now its home to every tax exile and tech genius in Europe, meaning the communities who grew up there are living miles away or in many cases in hotels and hostels

Before the IFSC the main option was to emigrate for work.

As for families living in council houses in the city centre working on the Docks…Times have moved on not much work for dockers these days or a need to have an industrial dock in the centre of a city.

• Advertisement

Ehhh what??? where did i blame the Ukrainians??? We've been trying to be the best boys in Europe (to the determent of the Irish people ) long long before any conflict .

I 100% agree, this mess is caused by our Gov and they should be done for treason.

Advertisement