Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

A lot of this is bang on but ,to start you are unfair on limerick , this win is about 5 years in the making and billy lee has done the same for limerick football as collins has for us .

i know your a traditionalist but in the modern era conditioning is huge, it has played a huge part in getting us to where we are , and in truth it is very rare a more conditioned team takes to the field against us in ennis , tonight the fitter , more conditioned and probably the smarter side won unlike the disaster in thurlas in 2020 against tipp , people like seamus o'donnell , billy lee and paul kinerrk have worked tirelessly for tonight for years and they deserve this hopefully they can kick on and give munster a real rattle

as for players , yes we need to chop and change more we have become too predictable in our style of play we have plenty of good youn players coming through but i agree we need to throw them in now , brendy rouine , young mcnamara from cooraclare , daniel walsh are all better then some of the lads in front of them in the starting 15

the only worry in the short term future is the lack of scoring forwards coming through is minimal we have loads of grafters in the middle 3rd and some exceptional defensive players but nothing up front , young rouine is good but hes still very young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great win for the hurlers. They are in a good place. A little too physical in the tackle and Duggan was lucky after messing with two Cork players face guards. The first 20 mins was as good a scoring performance as iv ever seen from a Clare team. We usually have some shocking wides. It's either James Moran or Kenny who's improved that ,even the decision making of the forwards has improved. If Limerick beat Tipp next week then they ll put out a weakened team against us in Ennis. They don't believe in going all out when they don't have to.. Clare have a great chance at a Munster final now. A Munster win would be unbelievable. Alot of Clare people talk Munster finals down but its only because our record is so poor. I dont see the squad as being big enough to challenge for an All Ireland at the moment.

Footballers have reached their ceiling. No chance of winning a Munster. Lads Limerick footballers have improved an awful lot. Literally no one in the city plays Gaelic football.. and rugby and soccer rule the roost there with a few decent hurling clubs only..So to only be picking from West Limerick is a great achievement really

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

mighty win today , we have had some rough days espically in thurles against cork today makes up for them really good performance

the job lohan has done with paul flanagan and rory hayes is unreal the halfback line looks solid now also , we lack forwards still though when duggan went off nothing stuck inside and we had no one to bring on , this helped cork back into the game and while the goal at the end might have flattered the result it also acts as a warning sign for whats ahead

limerick were 10 points the better team against cork and made sure of it , we were the same at times today and only won by 2 we need meehan back first and foremost , but we probably need to be better with the use of subs , maybe move kelly inside and bring on someone like jason mccarthy rather then brining on an un fit aaron shanagher or an awkward donal mcmahon

all thats for another day ,today the performances of ryan taylor ,john conlon peter duggan even david mcinerney who i had doubts about were fantastic, malone and flanagan have improved ten fold under lohan , the workrate of mounsey and o'donnell has taken a huge load off tony kellys shoulders too he dosnt have to do half the work he had to do last year or the year before

but in truth thats the best hurling i have seen from a clare back 6 since lohan was playing himself

as said on the limerick page , the fact that we both are in the top 16 of the championship with how powerful hurling is in both counties is a serious testament to both setups

rugby is an obvious one but soccer is a huge distraction to both teams also but i think most counties have that problem , the best game of the weekend and probably one of the best games in the championship was played last night by two traditional hurling counties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Character. It was an attribute Lohan and his teammates had 30 years ago, and it’s an attribute his team has today. I taught when they went a man down, with 20 minutes left and only 4 in it, it was going be difficult to get over the line. But the lads tacked over 3 unanswered points and it never looked in doubt.

Lohan is a rare person and leader. He is getting the most out of the players, but his stamp is all over the team. Hard working, physicality, effort, tight man-marking, etc. Particularly the work done on the backs, they way they defend so tenaciously. It’s great to see, Flanagan especially was excellent today imo. The Clare public are massively behind Lohan and his team and they got a great reception coming off the field today.

A lot of great performances today, really everyone stood up. Duggan and SOD are huge differences this year, in comparison to when we played Cork last year. I kind of want to single out Ryan Taylor though. I think the lad has been brilliant for Clare these past 3 years, but particularly these past 2 games, when he has brought his performances to a new level. His pace and workrate is top class. A proper modern intercounty midfielder, up and down the field all day. He is playing at a level now reminiscent of what Jamie Barron has given Waterford imo.

Clare now are in the driving seat now to get out of Munster, probably a date with Waterford in Ennis for a chance to play in the Munster final. Huge opportunity. It would be a big deal for Clare to get back into Croke Park for the first time since 2018. As is well noted, Clare generally have a good record in Croke Park and shouldn’t fear anyone in the championship bar Limerick. The year has really opened for us now.

• Advertisement

Yeah WSH, the bench is worrying. I’m not sure what the state of some of these injuries but even if we could get two more back, anyone of Rodgers, Aidan Mc, Meehan, would be a huge boost. Particularly Rodgers imo, to put up there playing of Duggan I reckon he’d flourish. Ian Galvin has infairness been tipping over scores for us, but I always prefer him coming off the bench. Same with Shanagher but he was off the pace today coming on. Surprised we haven’t seen Jason McCarthy getting gametime off the bench, he was playing well in the league and works very hard for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

What's wrong with Aidan mc?

fractured his leg at work before christmas , i dont think he will be back for the club championship let alone the intercounty

the greatest attribute john kiely has brought to limerick is change in physicology , lohan has the same done for us , we on another year would have lost both ties with aidan mccarthy reidy and whoever else , in fairness i taught it was there last year too and that we were unlucky against cork that day but the way we attacked in the first 25 minutes today and defended in the last 25 was most impressive

lets not be fooled here cork played some great hurling it that second half today and really brought intensity and we were able to match it , in years past we would have wilted

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

Agreed, Lohan actually mentioned the second half in his interview post game. Spoke of Clare’s response after having a man sent off. Obviously last year versus Tipperary, with Aidan Mc getting put off Clare reacted badly and lost the game in those minutes afterwards. Today, different story, hit the next 3 unanswered points. David Fitz involved in two of those (he played his best game for Clare imo.) Great to see that sort of growth in the team since last year.

• Advertisement

he played well but the question mark still hangs over him at times in games , we had a spell int he second half where we were getting over run in the middle 3rd he was no where to be seen and at times his shooting is awfull but yeah first half top notch and found his second wind late on

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Excellent performance around the middle third. Great to beat them, they really are a hard shower to listen to in the stand and the diving yet again is hard to watch.

It's a win to be savoured over Cork because we don't do it often. This is Cork at rock bottom and we only beat them by 2 points. So let's remember that. The summer is opening up for Clare now. The small squad might come back to bite us but at the moment it's hard not to keep playing the same 15. Duggam and Shanagher together don't work. Pity Crotty didn't get a run.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

look being honnest we knew going into this game we had a chance because cork were probably badly managed and the players were starting to get disgruntled but i still tipped cork to win before today , why because its cork

they still know how to win they out number us normally 3 to 1 in the stand and bring huge noise , if you analyze this game properly we should have won well but this win is as good as beating tipp in thurles in 2018

to be fair to crotty he is a tallent but hes just gone 18 , he struggles against top defenders so from a confidence point of view i dont want to see him rushed

i like the cork folk ,yeah they are passionate but they are far better then many other counties

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I think the cork crowd were so shell shocked with how bad they played in first half, they weren't going to blame Clare or ref for the defeat.

Clare came outta the traps all guns blazing and cork just couldn't handle it. Also, from 11 points up to then just 4 up after sending off Clare looked in awful trouble but we got the next 3 points and that was the winning of the game.

What was the Clare crowd like numberwise at the match? There seemed to be a good atmosphere but the terraces looked empty. Terrible crowd of 14,000 at the Galway match. The only big hurling game in Salthill this year. Its nit surprising though.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clare almost seemed to have More space after the red than before it.

Conlon went down very easily after Mark Keanes little punch or push. It was very dramatic and he let himself down abit. And Flanagan running out to tend to the wounded soldier like a medic in the Donbass didn't help either. Maybe I missed a bayonet on Mark Keanes push?

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clare were poor tactically, set up way too defensively. I can't understand for the life of me or couldn't see what was to be gained from conceding the kickouts to Limerick for 50 minutes of the game. Crazy. Once Limerick had ball in hand they were very efficient and controlled with it, so why hand it to them without a contest. Their full back managed to run the length of the field practically to score a goal with a feeble effort put in by one of our forwards to mark him.

When we did push up on the kickout eventually we turned them over a few times and got our noses in front and had the game won but for Conor Lane deciding to play a good 2 minutes over the allotted injury time untill he got a chance to give Limerick a free.

We are probably as well off to be out of Munster anyway. If Limerick get to the final Kerry will beat them by at least ten points and it could be nearer to twenty.

It was quite good PeggyShippen. A good percentage of that 20k were Clare supporters and were very vocal in the terrace and main stand. I’ve noticed quite an uptick in Clare support under Lohan. I think the public is massively behind him and a large cohort stayed on after the game to clap the team off the field. I think it’s great to see. Next game v Limerick has been sold out for weeks, can’t wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Have the tickets for the Waterford match went on general sale yet? I know the tickets for the Tipp, Cork and Limerick games all went on Ticketmaster at the same time but I don’t think the Waterford match went for sale then?

They haven’t gone on general sale. I’d say they’ll go on sale on Ticketmaster, but there is no doubt a buzz around the team and there might just be a very limited amount.

no the for the Florence nightingale purple heart for bravery award in a war zone territory goes to rory hayes not paul flanagan , conlon took a dive and a half but niall o leary probably millked his one too , conlon was thinking of his club mate and tried to get cork back

one of the hardest men in the game going down to a slight push is awful to watch though

yeah i agree about the kickouts , i also worry about our forwards , arron griffan was excellent we never mentioned him the other night but i still think the likes of Finucane from his own club is better , i see him way doen the pecking order in terms of clare forwards but he cant be faulted for saturday night

cooneys tracking back is terrible , luke connally was dropped from the cork team for the same reason , i think starting eoin collins was an awful call and he got well cleaned , cillian rouine didnt have the best night either you could fault him for two of limericks goals

i dont like slating clare footballers its the minority game in the county and i am from the heart of that area , i want it promoted as much as possible but we need perspective on things too, we to the best of my knowledge have beaten a division 1 team under collins but , what he has done to set up development squads and bring young players through is remarkable

we need to be happy with what we have , slowly we will bring through some talented players through again and become as strong as we were in 2016 but its going to take time , brian mc from cooraclare and fionn kellaher from doora/barefield are the next big things in clare football most counties would love to have that level of talent coming through i know its tough going at times but its a lot better then what it could be

Could be an upset in the minors tonight!

What a result for the minors! Jeez lads, I sat down last year for an evening to watch our minors get beaten by 40 points by Cork. Today we beat them by 4 down there. A huge win for Clare underage hurling. Munster final awaits. Some great young lads on this team and BOC has done an excellent job.

• Advertisement

Some few days for Clare hurling!

Advertisement