Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

I wasn’t aware that it was a warehouse. I assumed that the poster meant a disused convent.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But you have constructed a narrative where "they" are seen as seen "harming us". Im not making anything up you are literally creating a "them versus us" scenario that is about painting "them" as harmful to "us".

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

You keep stating this in various threads and theres no truth to it. If it was people would not have less in their pay packets year on year. Absolute bollixogy of the highest order.

Debt is debt and has to be serviced.

Pretty sure printing loads of money causes inflation too. Hey presto. What do we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Because A hostel isn't a warehouse.

They are 2 very different things.

That warehouse will be barely suitable for what will be used for, a temporary sorting / reception centre.

Plenty of parking for all the Lexus though, so there is that. 👍️

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're so steeped in the oppressor/oppressed narrative you can't see any other position and are itching to frame it your way.

People are not blaming "them" the Ukrainians. They've a huge groundswell of support.

People are blaming our authorities for

A) Not tackling multiple problems in Irish society that were apparently intractable this Christmas gone.

B) Opening our doors in a kneejerk response with no clear plan to tens of thousands of more people with no cap and zero checks especially in the face of A and adding to the problems of A.

C) Now magically finding ways to solve these intractable problems with the help of the magic money tree(AKA taxes when many people are already struggling) when they were apparently incapable or unwilling to do so for Irish people over years, even decades.

People are not blaming "them" the Ukrainians. They've a huge groundswell of support. However the above A, B and C could pretty quickly lead to too many blaming Ukrainians instead of the real problem; our Dail full to the brim of parish pump gobshítes we keep voting in and who never face the consequences of their idiocy and profligate spending only to land on their collective fat arses on equally fat pensions.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Don’t think so.

We banned bedsits and people went mad when the government suggested co living as an option.

As I said most of the accommodation set up for Ukrainians people were criticising the government for over the last few years when suggested as a solution to the homeless crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can you give some examples of what the government are doing now that they could have done that would satisfy Irish people?

Do you think that Erica Fleming or Margaret Cash would be satisfied to share one bedroom with their child(ren), sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities with numerous other families? Because that’s the reality of life in convents.

There is an anti Ukraine vibe coming into play. Leaving the rights and wrongs of war aside, it’s women and children who are the innocent victims. They deserve any support we can give.

Yeah, but there is a difference, surely? The case of Irish homeless was that people wanted homes that they could live in for extended periods. i.e. years, if not decades. So, there was a definite requirement on there being a certain level of quality involved. no?

Whereas, with refugees, they're here for 6 months to a year, and fleeing a warzone.. are we really going to wait until enough houses are made available? Do they really have to be of such quality? Just seems bizarre to me.

Also, we already have hostels in this country dotted all over the place. Surely, the same model could be used for such larger premises?

I've noticed that there's a terrible interest in shooting down any measures that don't include handing over a middle class quality home to Ukrainians...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just heard on the news that 1600 vacant homes which were pledged have been handed over to the Department of Children to be processed . Lets see how quick they move now . We have a house with all equipment for a baby and toddler so hoping they will take that into consideration

• Advertisement

Where does it say it is a warehouse?

"A large building owned by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council on Ballyogan Road has been selected for the facility, which will be called the Ballyogan Regional Temporary Rest Centre."

Nothing about being a warehouse in that article. I assume you have other information you can share, then?

I was an empty warehouse owned by Dun Laoire Rathdown Cc

80 Ukrainian refugees have arrived at a new centre in south Dublin after it opened it's doors for the first time yesterday.

The warehouse in Ballyogan, that is owned by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown county council, will be the main hub for people fleeing the war in the east of Ireland, with space for 300 residents.

The temporary rest centre will offer short-term accommodation before refugees are moved to longer term housing.

https://www.98fm.com/news/south-dublin-centre-for-ukrainian-refugees-opens-in-ballyogan-1336247

There is an anti-truth vibe coming into play... and you're doing a great job helping it along.

There have been very few posts which would be anti-Ukrainian. Oh, there have been criticisms about the corruption in their politicial system, or the range of scams that went on before the invasion, but none of that is an attack on Ukrainians themselves.

it’s women and children who are the innocent victims

Oh, and there's quite a few men (both Ukrainians and Russians) who are innocent victims of this conflict too. Don't you ever get tired of pushing these agendas?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's great. Hopefully someone will be in touch next week. Our place already has 5 sets of bunks, 2 singles, 4 doubles and a pledge of a cot. My employer will fund anything else required - I've already sorted a load of stuff from IKEA via them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Community centres with camp beds

"Upon arrival, Galway City Council will provide temporary emergency beds at Westside Community Centre. IPAS will then facilitate accommodation in households that have offered help to the Irish Red Cross."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Oh, and there's quite a few men (both Ukrainians and Russians) who are innocent victims of this conflict too. Don't you ever get tired of pushing these agendas?

How much modern feminism do you need to swallow to not even consider men as victims of war, when they have the highest ratio of deaths in war time. It's honestly sad how society has tailored itself to only care about groups that we're told to care about.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about Boards. I volunteer with a group local to me and it’s there I’ve unfortunately come across some criticism of our activities. One fellow volunteer was asked what she was doing to help the Irish homeless.

There’s no doubting that the toll of male victims is unacceptably high. There’s no knowing what they will continue to suffer when all this is over, no matter who wins. In reality there’ll be no winners. If Ukraine wins, it will take decades to rebuild. If Russia wins, I can see decades, if not centuries of conflict.

From my perspective, I can only concentrate on the mothers and children who need support in our area. There will always be begrudges.

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about Boards. I volunteer with a group local to me and it’s there I’ve unfortunately come across some criticism of our activities. One fellow volunteer was asked what she was doing to help the Irish homeless.

None of which is anti-Ukrainian. Seems a valid question to ask... would you volunteer to help Irish people as quick as your local group have the Ukrainians? I suspect in many cases, they wouldn't.

Criticism of your activities is not anti-Ukrainian. It's simply criticism. There is a difference.

From my perspective, I can only concentrate on the mothers and children who need support in our area.

Why? And in any case, the sexism you displayed wasn't about helping women and children. but elevating them to be the only possible victims in this conflict. Does your group help Ukrainian males who arrive in Ireland, or is the help exclusive to the women and children?

There will always be begrudges.

That's a cop out so that you never have to examine or justify your reasons for what you express to others.

• Advertisement

How odd that you write that when you are the very poster that asked me if I had offered the house I pledged for Ukrainian refugees to Irish homeless . It was a veiled criticism of my choices .

Are you two really going to war over "who's the biggest savior of us all"? 😂

The modern world will be analysed to the death by the people who come after us, and rightly so, because it seems like we've gone collectively insane.

Post edited by TomTomTim on

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Ukrainians will not have access to ‘housing set for social homes’

via The Irish Times

Looks like the government may be starting to cop on to how sensitive things are surrounding housing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well they will be entitled to apply for social housing surely like everyone else?

They can apply, but it’s doubtful that they’ll get a house before the 3 years is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

So the knee jerk reaction to house all the Ukrainians is now falling away. What now? Permanently house them in the City West refugee hotel? Because the waiting lists are not going to disappear overnight, not for years. Maybe now government might realise that a cap of some degree is needed for refugees coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I'm fully aware that Balbriggan has become very undesirable in recent years.

Frankly, my opinion is that if economic migrants are not self-sufficient, they have no business being in this country at all. They should not have access to social housing and should be encouraged either subtly or more explicitly, to leave Ireland. Given the strain on existing services, coupled with the humanitarian influx from the Ukraine, the last thing needed is an imported cohort of people, reliant on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well certainly it needs to be communicated to them what we can offer. There are zero houses available here so it’s only temporary accommodation. I doubt any of our European peers are much different in this regard. Bit of realism for a change

Maybe now government might realise that a cap of some degree is needed for refugees coming here

If I was a bookie, and you wanted to bet on them learning from their mistakes, I'd gladly take your money. We have to be honest, while I've no respect for the intellect of our leaders, they aren't so stupid that they have no idea what they are doing. Some of them might be, but some of them know exactly what they are at.

Not to be a "conspiracy theorist" but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who thinks that the Western political class are purposely trying to crash the global economy. How else can you rationalize such reckless spending? We were suffering from inflation without the war, which is a situation where a sensible government would try and create plans to minimize the effect of that, yet Western governments are making it worse by printing and spending more and more money. Keep in mind too that only yesterday they passed the increase in carbon taxes, knowing fine well that the people are suffering greatly already. If they aren't doing it on purpose, then they are some of most reckless leaders we've seen, who honestly shouldn't be in power if they are that incompetent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So your solution for people financially suffering is to implement austerity?

Have we not already seen that movie?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement