Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Yes, I am happy to comment on Shefflin's behaviour today. I thought it was top class and professional. I thought Cody was wired the whole afternoon and his behaviour at the final whistle was ill befitting a man of his standing in the game.

Shefflin had to walk 50 metres just to try to shake his hand because Cody had gone looking for ref to eff him out of it. Then gives him the "**** you" treatment, to a man who won him All Irelands.

Bad form and I feel Cody needs to take a good look at himself as he is at risk of unravelling a lot of his great work. He suddenly looks a poor sport, someone who cannot accept he is ever wrong.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's life Henry has to be loyal to the team he trains and I honestly think it's hard for him v Kilkenny but he has a job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

When you consider particulary what Henry has been through on a personal level in the last 2 months I taught Cody's carry on with the handshake at FT was very poor.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

What a trash comment. Cody was a disgrace. Henry a gentleman as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Have to agree with that. After everything Henry has been through lately the very least you would expect from Cody is a bit of empathy. His behaviour at the end was brutal. If ever there was a time to acknowledge that there is more to life than sport then full time yesterday was it but no, Cody had to act the hard man who could only see that he was the one with a grievance. I hope to God he spoke to Henry privately later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

How do you how much contact there has been in the past 6 weeks, whether Cody has visited the house/family etc. You think he didn’t go to the funeral and spoke to him there??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Village87

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'm sure you know that isn't what I was suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

There's no doubt galway were a few points the better team and missed a few points at the end to kill us off but after getting that soft goal we were unlucky to give away that free. Henry was livid when cooney got pulled for time against wexford. I do think cody was wrong I was looking at it directly and the cameras were lining up. I know emotion was high but this isn't codys first year managing he knew the spotlight was on. Galway were 6 up at ht and we got it back level but couldn't get ahead galway kicked on and went 3 ahead. We've tried so many lads in midfield and are still none the wiser and this is going on since mick fennelly left in 2016.we conceded 7 points yesterday and we got one point from our half back line which isn't enough in the modern game.i don't think there's a magic wand and bringing in this lad or that is only moving furniture.can anyone match tell me what was going on with gortha and cody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

Absolute waffle calling the man a pig and no surprise with your constant negativity on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Kilkenny will come back stronger from this I think.

More open pitch will suit them, and James Maher will surely improve, he had a stinker, maybe he's better coming in off the bench when it opens up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

I would have little doubt from various sources as to Cody's inter-personal skills. Obviously when you are winning it's "ruthlessness", "single-mindedness" and all the rest of it. When not winning it's interpreted differently. But he is what he is.

Should he gave "fcuked off in the last 3/4 years ago"? Maybe, but again it's a sign of the megalomania probably in anyone who has success. He'll still want that "greatest ever achievement" of one more win. Again, it's the great strength of stubbornness and ego emerging as weakness when things are not going well.

Where I'd gave more sympathy for Cody is the question of the influence that the outrageously untimely deaths of people should have on Cody's approach to Shefflin after the gane. Cody, in that role, is ultimately an advocate for the Kilkenny team. Expressions of sympathy are private matters and have their place. But rightly or wrongly (in respect of the actual match, refereeing decision, and even the 'Shefflin as traitor to his county' angle) he is entitled to look p*ssed off. He never claimed to be Mr Gregarious or the Master of Banter. So that's what you'll get. But I think it's unfair to imply that he should have approached Shefflin differently because of bereavements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

So how do you see their ultimate outcome this year then. As in, what does coming back stronger mean? They will beat Galway if they meet them again? Win Leinster? The All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

Firstly on Cody, he's a 100% committed Kilkenny man, and lives and breathes for the success of Kilkenny. So irrespective of what went on, on the sideline, in my opinion, he just cant compute, how Henry would manage a team against his native county Kilkenny. That is sacrilege to Cody.

On Cody as a manager he has many many flaws, but i think he should walk away after this year, because i don't think people understand the standard of hurler the county is producing and asking him to win all-irelands with. If we were in a position where it was a close thing between winning and losing all-irelands, then the manager style etc might come into it, but being honest, its far far from that. The hurlers are just not there. People on here saying its Cody this and that, it could possibly be, but he cant mess up a team to a level that this side is hurling at. They are just average hurlers at best with a few decent ones.

Overall i thought it would have been daylight robbery if Galway lost that game, they were better than KK on the day. That's not saying they were good, because they weren't, two average teams to be fair. The pick of the two wouldn't come within 8 points of limerick.

Galway have played a tough game already and this was KKs first so there is some improvement in KK, and allowing that KK gifted Galway at least 6-8 points, and it was TJs first real game back this year, we have a better performance in this side. But not near enough to win an all-ireland or a semi final or even a quarter final if we get Waterford. And based on Clares performances recently, i don't think we could beat them either.

The keeper played too much short ball when in trouble when he should just have cleared it, but the outlet up the field wasn't there, nobody looking for it.

Mickey - did ok for his first big intercounty championship game.

I think we have the best full back in the country - Huw Lawlor was his usual assured self. And its not easy being that good on a full forward when the opposition have loads of time to play low ball into the full forward.

Tommy Walsh, has the hurling, has the pace, but insists on letting his man win the ball before he even tries, and is always second to the ball and then puts in a token effort to stop him. Its very frustrating to watch him. Because one modification to his game could make the complete difference.

Michael Carey - nice guy, but doesn't have the battling capabilities to be an intercounty wing back, just too soft.

Browne was way off the pace and got outplayed numerous times.

Deegan is a trier but does headless things at key times. From what i saw of the final play of the game, he didn't foul the forward, he won the ball which was in the air. But it went to a key decision because he wasn't marking his man in the first place.

Midfield were completely out of it. Didn't track there men, were just completely outclassed.

Mullen - this guy is lazy. Where others are just not good enough, this guy has it in spades but just doesn't put it in, he's lazy, doesn't fight to win ball, doesn't run hard enough and make himself available and make scores and tackles happen. This guy has the class to be another Eoin Larkin, but doesn't have the work rate.

Walter - old enough to know that he cant outrun younger lads at his age. Can win ball and should be there bringing the other forwards into the game by laying it off, yet insists on heading on his own. If he mixed it up he'd be far more effective.

Buckley - never recovered from the virus or injury he had a few years ago. Not the same player

Padraig - wasn't in this game and should have been far more involved. He's a lot older and wiser and should be able to link up and layoff ball better between himself Walter and Buckley and even TJ.

Billy Ryan - shades of a younger Eddie Brennan, and your hoping that some day the penny will drop and he'll just develop that nasty streak that completely changes Eddie into a great forward, but we still seem to be waiting and waiting.

Cody - a marked man and done very well, but for all the talent he has and the hurling nous, he needs to make things happen around him.

In general the biggest concern was the lack of work rate from everyone, hooking blocking tackling and man marking are 70% of Cody's game and were missing. That's a real concern. There is no drive in this team. They may be limited talent wise but that doesn't account for there lack of work rate.

KK didn't deserve the win and Galway were the better side, but i did think that Galway were left away with a lot of fouling, pulling back with the spare hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

When he decided to manage Galway, he had to commit to it, which he has done and is showing, can't blame him for being committed to something he said he would do. The problem for Cody is.... Shefflin is now against Kilkenny, when he had the chance of being on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭otterj

Just because Henry is from kilkenny does that mean he has to talk a job with Kilkenny when he is offered it?

No doubt he will want to manage Kilkenny down the line but hes an ambitious guy and wants to win and maybe he knew there was more potential with Galway than with Kilkenny currently.

This idea that he was offered a job and betrayed cody is nonsense. As for Galway paying him €100k, thats also nonsense. Galway GAA isnt in great shape financially and have a load of debt after buying a site in Athenry that now is worth half what they paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

*Sorry reply to Rosita

Won't win an all Ireland I would say, but yea I can see them beating Galway in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Winning Leinster and putting in a good performance in a semi I think is about all we can realistically hope for. Would want to be a very lucky draw in the semi to see them getting any further

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Tj or cody.. whose finished first?

In all seriousness in tj injured? Rte making a meal the whole henry/cody thing. And the gas thing is cody added all the fuel to that fire at full time.

Finally... will cody get the 3 months that tommy Dunne got? For consistency you'd have to imagine it's a real possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Jaysus this is not great viewing for the U20s. A year to come up with a plan to cover Liam Collins inside and the best we come up with is Rowe and McDonald getting a run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman I think Brian Cody has been an incredible manager and kilkenny won a number of all Irelands because of his domineering presence. Referees were always reluctant imo to incur his wrath. I can perfectly understand his anger at Henry's defection to Galway. Henry Sheflin was a hurling artiste. Kilkenny hurling and Henry Sheflin were synonymous. Brian Cody is one of the last of the old school idealists. He cannot accept that one of the Kilkenny greats can use his inside knowledge of kilkenny hurling tactics to help an opposition team defeat them. Henry is on a very attractive package to succeed with Galway in the process defeating his own tribe. Brian Cody has gone up in my estimation because of how he behaved yesterday. He cannot accept betrayal and fair play to him. A man of principles in an era where principles don't seem to matter anymore to many people.

That should have been a red for McGlynn. Led with the head straight at the head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Nasty head butt by the Galway centre back. Should’ve seen red for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

100% a red. That last point was wide too and the first peno wasn't a free

Billy Drennan unreal bottle the last few minutes when others were lashing wides.

Great fight in that second half

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

We have given away so many frees with high tackles, I'd say there wasn't any emphasis on tackling in training.

We had the chances to win that in normal time, subs did well when they came in.

Why are all kilkenny teams the only teams still giving high hanging handpasses.

All that said great fight in fairness.

Super effort

Massive well done to the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

Fantastic heart shown, great win and super winning score from Joe Fitzpatrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

The sooner we can get Billy Drennan, Harry Shine and Joe Fitzpatrick on the Senior team the better. Drennan and Shine the type of forwards we need, fast and skillfull

Advertisement