Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

FYI..

Lots of surveillance activity near the Moldovan border. In this shot, an E3-8 Redeye (unhighlighted to the south) is visible with an unknown aircraft ( highlighted), possibly a drone as it originated in Sicily, but unlikely to be a Global Hawk as its only at 18000 feet. Also, to the North West, we can see a C-130H of the USAF.

Also, there is an unprecedented level of airtraffic coming in and out of Kaliningrad at the moment. In fact, it's been extraordinarily busy over the last few months with either the Swedish Airforce or USAF keeping an eye on the enclave. Today, its the turn of a Beechcraft SIGNIT aircraft. Kaliningrad is not featured much in the media at the moment, but I'd expect something major to eminate from the region soon, given the attention its getting from Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

The fibre would be fine, but the issue is the routers/switches which are typically just located in telephone exchange buildings and small data centres are electronic, or even where they're optical, they're still controlled by electronics. All that gear would be toast.

The FTTH wiring / distribution networks are PON (Passive Optical Networks) so there are no electronics in them - the splitters and all of those devices are purely optical.

There was a time in the past when telephone switching equipment in certain areas of the UK, US, France etc was in buildings that contained faraday cages or were placed underground in some cases. They are often still housed in nearly bunker-like concrete buildings in some countries.

I don't think we ever did much of that as the only threats were possibly domestic or from the Troubles and were not all that likely.

Any kind of EMP would wreak havoc on the mobile networks and more significantly the national grid and local distribution grids for electricity.

I still would think Russia's threats are just theatre for their domestic audience. There's a lot of nonsense and Dr Evil style threats that are more like comedy sci-fi.

However, I would be of the view that having made a threat like that on state television, diplomatic relationships with Ireland should be curtailed to the point of just bare minimum if not ended completely.

They're literally threatening our national security and our very existence in the case of those nuclear threats and they are being communicated through state owned channels, not some shock jock of on a rant. Those messages are quite obviously fully approved.

Threatening to annihilate a country should be red line in diplomacy!

At the very least a certain resident of Orwell Road should be called in to explain his government's messaging...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

There are all kinds of chip-pan alternatives to get around anti assassination legislation, lol. This is a new thing on the battlefield Lethal Russian anti-tank mines spotted in Ukraine for the first time (msn.com)

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Also, Odessa recieving lots of attention with the unusual sight of both an E-3A Sentry and E-8C within sight of each other ( one 3,000ft above the other). Both aircraft can monitor air and ground movements. There is also a Global Hawk just south of Sevastapol covering Crimea and Odessa.

The proverbial foot has not been let off the accelerator with regards to these flights. It must be costing hundreds of millions of dollars every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's a lot of Irish jobs lost then. Plus, it's 80MW of reliable gas powered electricity to give up. Something that we're relying on at present, nevermind come winter time. Even Eamon Ryan couldn't be stupid enough to voluntarily shut it down.

• Advertisement

Just nationalise it temporarily and be done with it. It's not like the Russians didn't nationalise several billion worth of jets they leased from Irish companies!

I would have my doubts that bauxite processing is particularly lucrative, particularly in a location with enormous energy costs. It reminds me a lot of Irish Steel in the sense of trying to build a heavy industry in a location that didn't have any of the resources to support it.

There would be job loses, but it's not necessarily going to be the case that those jobs weren't going to be lost anyway. From what I have read about the sector it's an extremely low margin business.

You can also run the small gas turbine power plant they have without operating the rest of it.

It would make more sense to get some high margin businesses to invest in the same location - Pharma, biopharma, medtech .. etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

so then trump comes back and has macron killed or even Greta thunberg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was looking at the map the other day and noticed that was the only route to far west bit of Ukraine without going via Moldova and that it seemed a bit vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A very good read, not just what happened when Russian soldiers and Ukrainian civilians got to know each other but also the much wider things going on in Russian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

They also attacked the runway in Odesa. Clearly an attempt to stop weapons coming from the west.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

You didn't make any relevant points for me to agree or disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

That's pretty impressive. Energy policy is generally decades in the making.

I wonder if similar figures are available across the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The bookies all have Ukraine as the red hot favourites to win this years Eurovision, the song is supposedly pretty good but they are also expecting the political voting to be off the charts. While the Eurovision is all a bit silly it would be nice to see Ukraine win it next week and then this time next year for them to be hosting it in Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Looks like abandoning neutrality comes with risks.

Russian State TV simulates nuclear attack on Ireland - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'll be honest, Im more annoyed they referred to us as part of the British Isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The members of the group - Kalush Orchestra - were actually part of the Ukrainian defence effort a few weeks ago. They have been given special dispensation to leave the country and represent the country in Eurovision. Here's three of them in uniform:

More a case of them dismissing us as not existing, and ignoring the geography and just seeing us a collateral damage.

Although, they have form in this regard. They don't tend to recognise their own former possessions' independence either.

Whatever about the context it's utterly obnoxious and very threatening and I just wonder why exactly we have diplomatic relations with them anymore. They've done nothing but fire insults, threats, spy on us, probably were involved in taking down our healthcare IT systems during a pandemic, nationalised several billion worth of Irish owned aircraft, carried out a military missile test not all that far off our southwest coast, flew nuclear bombers over our airspace, while we're a neutral country and have effectively no air defences... and they operate a hugely oversized embassy in Dublin and were for some reason trying to build what looks like some kind of bunkers the site.

Honestly think it's time to just recall our own ambassador from Moscow and give the Russian Embassy notice to quit the country. We don't need diplomatic relations with a country that continuously just hurls insults and threats. It's frankly unprecedented in Irish diplomatic history.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think it's nearly a given. Hell, they'd probably almost get away with sending a lad over with a megaphone singing: "OOOO-le! O-le! O-le! O-le!; Ole! U-kraine!" for 5 solid minutes, and probably still win the vote due to the good will towards Ukraine :P Making a good song makes it more than a shoe-in for them.

I had kind of wondered what would have happened with the Russian entry. I know they've already been banned from it, but part of me felt that if they were still invited they'd be "Null-poit"-ed to the bottom of the scoreboard and probably booed off the stage.

I remember after the 2014 invasion that the Russians got a lot of hate during that Eurovision. The organizers sort of tried to deflect it a little by pleading with people to "Build Bridges" (which was the theme of that year's event), but I sensed that their pleads were mostly ignored...and rightly so.

It was time to shut down the Russian embassy the same day they invaded a neighbouring country, let alone months later.

Seems to be a foot dragging and wait and see type approach. I appreciate we've some citizens in Russia who may need diplomatic assistance, but it's getting to the stage that it's about as useful as having a North Korean embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Was an opportunity lost to work with other EU members a few weeks ago and kick out the majority of the bloated Russian mission here, even if they (Irish govt.) do not wish to close it down.

Maybe fact that they didn't do it with the others back then means they'd have to act alone now to expel any more (and poke their head up as it were). That is (probably) not going to happen due to fear.

Russians threatening again,allthough they always forget that Britain is part of something bigger,called NATO,and they dont seem to care that Ireland is part of it too.

And those nuclear sites in Russia looks like juicy targets

Norway never fails to dissapoint:

"OSLO (Reuters) - Norway will close its borders and ports to Russian trucks and ships, joining sanctions imposed by the European Union over the war in Ukraine, the Norwegian foreign ministry said on Friday.

Russian fishing vessels, which often land their catch at ports in northern Norway, will receive exemptions from sanctions.

Norway's Arctic Svalbard archipelago, which operates under a 1920s treaty allowing expanded foreign access, will also be exempted, the ministry said."https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2022-04-29/norway-shuts-borders-ports-to-russian-goods-exempts-fishing-vessels

Hosting Orc fising vessels while the scum are trying to create a famine in Ukraine by stealing and selling all it's grain and the ships that carry it - and a big fu​ck you to Turkey for being the happy buyers of stolen grain, acquired by murdering, raping and torturing the original owners, stealing their laden ships, and knowing this full well. I never trusted their apparent sympathies for Ukraine. I was actually surprised at them closing the straits to Orc warships, but now suspect it must have been due to threats from higher up the food chain.

That Russian threat of a tidal wave bomb would wipe out the Faroe islands and inundate Norway also, but keep helping the Orcs breach sanctions and embargoes.

Post edited by cnocbui on

I am sure we will see more footage in near future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Why does the tsunami stop at Europe. Is it because of Brexit, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I thought all the weapons were coming in over land and that there were not flights coming in from abroad now.

• Advertisement

Because of advanced secret Russian technology...

Or they paid a 12 year old to do the graphics

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement