Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox - Set to bridge mode and eliminate double NAT

Options
  • 11-04-2022 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hello people.

The diagram attached is roughly my home network setup. I've recently bought an ASUS Router RT-AX86S (in diagram) and would like to configure it to be DHCP, NAT and Firewall and eliminate the double NAT issue that I know is present in my network setup. Can someone help? I've googled around but am going round in circles.

I want to make my Vodafone Gigabox as dumb as possible - basically just a modem and leave all the router settings to my Asus router.

What changes do I have to make to my Vodafone Gigabox and to Asus router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

I've figured this out. Will post steps here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

Hi zarker, what steps did you do? I am getting Vodafone fibre(FTTH) with a Gigabox and I have an Asus router doing the work at the moment. I could get rid of the Gigabox but I need to use my landline, through the Gigabox so I need to make it avoiding the double nat issue like you. Your feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks

I followed various tips around and came to this configuration:

1) Connected Internet cable coming from Siro modem directly into the Asus router.

username: {gibabox router serial number}@vfieftth.ie

password: broadband

2) Changed WAN type to PPoE as below.

3) Configured IPTV as below. I'm not quite sure why this is needed.

That worked for me, shout if I can help further, but am not really network guy and have come to the above through some trial and error. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DavidEE

Thanks for the settings advice, I would never have figured them out.

I managed to replace my Gigabox router with a TP Link router which is way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 505315

This is the information on the Vodafone support section for using your own router. Not sure if it works. Would appreciate it if someone could test it and see if it works. Also im currently debating whether or not to get an Asus RT-AX89X router as it has dual 10 gig ports so i can be ready when Vodafone rolls out 2 gig broadband here. Also attached a picture if the new Gigabox+ router that is available exclusively with the 2gbps plan. Im currently on the 1gbps plan with the Gigabox and tried calling Vodafone support trying to get the new Gigabox+ but to no avail. As far as I can tell the 2 gig service is already up in Kilkenny when i checked with this Eircode R95 R9D8. I’ve also attached the quick start guide for the new Gigabox+ router that shows it has a 10G WAN RJ45 port as well as SFP+. Cant imagine this router being cheap which would explain the €65/month price for the 2gbps plan and thats with a 12 month promotion.

I'm not a network guy but everything indicates you'll be able to replace the Gibabox router with RT-AX89X.

Is your internet Fibre (FFTH)? If so read this: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057927096/the-boards-ie-explainer-ftth-and-you

and this: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011715/

Note from Asus link that you'll need a modem that in my case has been provided by Vodafone. Your router RT-AX89X is not a modem so make sure you'll have a modem from Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

If you have a FTTH connection you only need a router, no modem needed (the fibre ONT performs an equivalent function).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The AX89X has 1 x 10GSFP and 1x10GLAN. Do you have SFP/Fibre connections to the ONT?

I ended up buying the https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax6000-model/ , which has dual 2.5gb LAN/WAN ports. I use one for the upstream connection to the ONT and then one to a 2.5gbe 8-port switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

The whole problem in my situation is I need to keep the Gigabox so that my landline works. I think zarker just got rid of his gigabox and is now using his Asus router instead. I would love to do this with my Asus router but am stuck in the double nat situation as cant dump the Gigabox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 505315

I currently have SIRO broadband and the fibre goes to the ONT before being converted to rj45 and an Ethernet cable running to the Gigabox. From what I’ve seen I can replace the Gigabox all together as long as I don’t need TV or landline services. I’m hoping to get the 2gbps service installed soon as the current Huawei ONT doesn’t support speeds over 1gig. I’m planning on running the Ethernet cable from the ONT to the 10G rj45 port of the ax89x and then using a SFP+ to Ethernet adaptor for the LAN to get full speed to my gaming pc. (Also has a 10G port) I’m just waiting for Vodafone to update their systems as it currently doesn’t show any 2gig availability even though it’s already active (spoke to the network engineer few weeks back) Hopefully won’t take too long now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The only way I've found to get this working is to connect a small managed switch to the ONT with VLAN 10 tagged on it, then plug both routers' WAN ports into the switch. Disable the Wi-Fi on the Gigabox and only plug the phone into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Hi David,

Would you mind sharing the basic steps you followed on your TP Link to get yourself setup and maybe share the model of tplink you have?

I've currently got the option of going "part fiber" with Virgin Media or full fibre with Vodafone, if i choose Vodadone ill need to be able to bypass the vodafone equipment or my setup wont go the way i need it to. With Virgin i'd be going the standard "Modem Mode"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Thats basically my setup except the Huawei ont has a 10gig uplink. Did you discover if the gigabox+ modem removes the need for her Huawei unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

My setup

RT-AX88U Merlin firmware

5 Port unmanaged switch

2GB internet

multiroom tv

Wired the house myself

I got the gigabox+ a week ago and Sunday it developed a fault. I've ordered a new one but I may cancel t he order now.

Because of this I no longer had TV.

I switched out the gigabox+ modem with RT-AX88u entered the serial number from the gigabox+ as the username

RTAX88U setting

username: serialnumber@vfieftth.ie

password: password

In LAN -> IPTV set vlan to 10

Use DHCP routes: RF3442 & Microsoft

Enable multicast: Enable

Default IGMP version: IGMP 3

I then plugged the Vodafone TV Box into Port 4

For the switch I plugged the network cable into port 1 and the second TV box into port 4

Volia both TVs broadcasting Vodafone TV

GIGABOX+ completely out of the picture.

Hope this helps someone

Advertisement