Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I know that bit of road very well, west from the top of Snowtown, lucky you had a tailwind on that bit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Once upon a time a Wahoo lived here.

Here ends the story of my spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Did you recover it? When I got my 530 it had a feature to locate it if it got disconnected from the bike, thought it was a weird feature to have, but now I understand why. On my own spin today it was a test drive for a new lid (Oakley) and I know it was windy out but I thought I felt it lift off my head slightly as I descended. Straps have now been tightened. It doesn't appear to have the same number of vents on the rear hence the lift off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Funnily enough I did, first thing this morning. Luckily just on the side of the trail because needle in the haystack stuff otherwise. I don't think wahoo have that find my functionality on the Bolt series, not on the gen1 Bolt anyway.

I was going to ask why you weren't using the tether and then remembered you have to buy it separately for about 15 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely afternoon out there today, took a meandering route through the l-roads around Enniskerry to Laragh including a few gravel tracks and less used roads on the verge of becoming gravel tracks. Lumpy enough with 1.6k climbed over 103k but all at a leisurely 18.7kph so easy enough going. Very handy route for a breezy day, avoiding the crosswinds of the military road and all the traffic. Must try to incorporate some of the Devil's Glen next time out that way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I keep saving your routes for when I bother taking the gravel/cx bike beyond the park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Delighted to be getting back to regular sportives so did the yellow furze one near navan today. 100km of tough rolling country with head winds from every direction you turned. For some reason I decided to cycle there and back, which sounded like a great idea at the time, so clocked up just shy of 200km for my troubles today.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I must start looking at the wind forecast before planning a ride. Lovely spin from Delgany down to Rathdrum. Return via Glendale and along the coast was an absolute slog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I did a shortened Weevil ride with. 100km with 2500m of climbing. Had to change route in Glencullen when one of the paths was now behind a big gate and then took a wrong turn at the masts in 3 rock but made my way home. A lot of road but some serious climbs, single track and gravel sections.

Ended up cycling in the backyard ultra race briefly on the way through, there were three runners still going after 23 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had to call over to my mother in Clontarf last night and help sort something out on her iPad. Cool but ovely evening to be out.

Managed to get from Leixlip > Clontarf > Leixlip at a pace of 30km/h which when travelling through the city centre isn't bad! Had originally hoped to do a pass of Howth summit on the way home after but tiredness and hunger got the better of me and so I headed home for my dinner.

Travelling along the R148 back into Leixlip (between the Springfield Hotel and the Salmon Leap) I became aware of a motorbike behind me. They had space to pass (plus no oncoming traffic) but they didn't pass me. Stopping in the village at the main set of lights, the rider puled up beside me. It turns out it wasn't a motorbike but some kind of pedal assisted fat-tyred bike (a quick search suggests it was possibly a Bezior). He told me that I had been doing 52km/h and he couldn't catch me and was quite impressed with my pedal power (although I wasn't really trying, I didn't mention the slight slope and light tailwind). Still, it was nice it be complimented out of the blue for once. When the lights went green he went on ahead (on the flat) but after a couple of seconds he still wasn't that much ahead of me.

Nice spin home today, made a few tweaks to the bike fit between my way in and way out of work and seems to have improved things. First spin with most of the bike packing gear in place, it’s a struggle to get bottles in and out of the cages with the frame back in place but the third cage under the frame is much easier. Guess it will take some getting used to.

2 degrees going in and then warmed up a good bit coming home so rode gloveless for the first time in a long long time.

46km all in with 450m climbing. Position adjustments look to have led to about a 10-15% improvement and knees are much happier for it too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely spin up to the Sally gap after work, pretty much perfect conditions, cool enough but sunny. Chatting to a couple of Orwell lads at the crossroads setting up for the Randonee this weekend, not around myself but if the weather holds should be a cracker.

Did a hilly loop last night, trying for 800m gain in 40km or double the elevation over distance. I'm in a hilly area rather than the mountains and didn't do the same hill twice and had to be a loop.

Didn't really have a route planned and proved harder than I thought and managed 793m gained in 47k. Worked hard on the hills and easy on the few flat parts. Will try again over the weekend. Most of my spins usually end with just over a 1:1 ratio so the legs are feeling it this morning but it was good fun.

Overall, 47km with 793 up at 28.5kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7056351959

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Orwell Randonnee yesterday, short version with bail out from Manor Kilbride to save a badly suffering friend from more torture! Cracking day out despite the constant light rain.

114km with 1,537m of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7064739107

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

rescued this little guy on my morning cycle today , in middle of road on a back road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do you carry a kitten home on a bike?

A very wet day also meant very cold. Masseys up the hellfire club and then onto Glencullen. Did a route then I’ve thought about for a long time, Johnny Foxes four ways aka the fox paw. Climbed up to the cross roads from each direction (Tibbraden, Enniskerry, Kiltiernan and Stepaside) and descended each way. 75km with 1680m of climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Put him inside my gilet and cycling one handed and held him with other 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Put in a couple of spins over bellewstown. Bit pissed that I managed to spend the weekend in the rain after a lovely week.

But set my faster time in carnes side. Deffo easier than up by quarry or golf course.

Got a set of dura ace wheels instead of some cheap mavics. So it's definitely down to my fitness....

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Went for a cycle with a buddy Sat, from Dublin up to Drogheda, via Nall on the way up, great little cafe, first time cycling out of Dublin to the north, and back via Balbriggan on the way back. The way up was nice enough, decent views but unlike Wicklow you can often see too far in the distance if you know what I mean. Way back was a grind, weather was grim and on bigger faster roads. Made it back to Malahide and got the Dart home.

Might be nice to try again in the summer and fine tune the route.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You should mention it here before you do, quite a few of us are familiar with those roads. Did you cycle back on the old N1?

You could get a much quieter route home if you wanted. And still flatish.

Like turn off the old N1 at gormanstown and go to balrothery and man o war, avoiding Balbriggan and the old N1.

Nip under the M1 along there and go back roads down into swords.

From swords in I would just go old N1....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

will do, went out Clontarf, Estuary Road, and weaved up to the R108 , I remember the Hollywood Lakes Golf club, Naul and some Llamas lol and on the way back a Fyffes plant and Blakes Cross. looking at he map is Stamullen, Julianstown (R132) a better route on the way up?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Yeah, fyffes and Blake's cross means you came back on the old Belfast road -which is the R132 - l which is not an interesting cycle. As WB mentioned, balrothery through man'o'war will take you off that road for a bit. Some nice climbing around bellewstown if you're out that direction.

The surface on the R132 between Gormanstown and Balbriggan was pretty bad in places last time I was on it

Yeah ruFF for last 6 months. I never cycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Went out yesterday with a mate for a tour of south Wexford. Started at Wellingtonbridge, meandered towards Wexford town, then went up and down the Forth mountain a couple of ways, debated doing a third route, but time was starting to press so bailed. From there headed down to Kilmore Quay, stopping off for coffee, and back to Wellingtonbridge. 103km with 871m climbing, mostly on quiet backroads, but a few unpleasantly busy R roads (R739 to Kilmore and a short stint on the R733 New Line into Wellingtonbridge)

First long run out on tubeless tyres and they took a lot of the sting out of some fairly mixed road surfaces. I also stuck on a Brooks Cambium C17 that I'd had sitting on a shelf also made a big difference. I also faired a lot better on the distance than on my previous century about 5 weeks ago where I attempted it fasting and bonked horribly

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wheelsandreels

Lovely spin yesterday from Terenure to Waterford. Was looking to avoid the n81 but also didn't want to start over Bohernabreena so took a lovely route Saggart, Kilteel, Ballymore Eustace, Castledermot, Carlow, Gowran, Thomastown and skirted on and off the R448 with quite a steep climb after Jerpoint Abbey that then drops back onto the R448 through Mullinavat and into Waterford. Would recommend although I'm on a cx bike and there were a couple of short patches that wouldn't really suit a road bike just older country roads that haven't been kept up. Beautiful scenery and villages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Arrived Girona last night on a club jaunt. Headed out this morning and collected my BMC One in 12 speed Ultegra Di2 whichis my first experience with Di2 (although I'm collecting n+1on Wednesday which will have it).

We headed out on a pre-defined 70km (~1000m) route which was in glorious sunshine and warm breezes. It was delightful.

I don't know whether it was the weather, the Di2 or just me feeling good but I found the climbs fine and on our second climb I decided to push on ahead and left the group behind. My knee was starting to complain but I'd say it was more to do with the bike for than the climbing. Dinner & beers in Girona will hopefully sort it out!

Tomorrow, the plan is for 100km (~1000m) towards the coast and then 40km up to Rocacobra (over 1100m). We'll see!

https://strava.app.link/LbZZFpWxOpb

Advertisement