Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

You are still right but wasn't 1999 cork v Meath? Offaly beat Meath in 2000 Leinster qf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

My theory was Brolly "analysis" was a RTÉ created gimmick to grab the attention. They had simliar with Dunphy on the soccer and Hook on the rugby. RTÉ has since moved on to get rid of such rubbish while Brolly continues to play the gimmick as he loves the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Its a bad decision considering the low attendances in Leinster and lack of interest in general. Another half empty Croke Park.

I note neither match will be televised. And yet they show Wexford Dublin at the weekend. Makes no sense only to accommodate hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is improving though but it does need a bit of Jazzing Up - and by that I don’t mean stats for stats sake. Or controversy for controversy’s sake.

But it does seem a bit staid and formulaic at the moment.

Strangely it is a lot of the younger Kerry pundits (not Pat) like Fitzmaurice, D O’Cinnede, T’O Se who are top football analysts. Noelle Healy from Dublin presents well and is knowledgeable.

It is getting better, but slowly. Yet with some pundits we still hear lazy stuff ‘they wanted it more’ etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Would have been excited and actually went to Kildare's game if it was in Portlaosie or Tullamore but no way in hell am I paying through the nose to sit in a quiet and souless stadium.

And there's many more like me.

Greed will always take precendence over fairness in the Leinster Championship it seems.

Yeah yer spot on. Offaly’s last sort of decent era around those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Whatever Tullamore or wherever holds split the tickets , and make it televised. Accountants robbing the ordinary non Dublin GAA fan again.

Pure greed. During the boom when I was living in Kildare, I would often go to Leinster games. Laois v Westmeath etc. Good games but lost in an 80 000 stadium

I know but Hurling fan boys got the edge in the 90's. When Ulster teams finally learned that kicking possession away to other teams,was stupid it was called Puke football while Hurling was still exciting hit and hope. But Hurling is exactly the same as football now with teams recycling the sliotar rather than try a 50/50 shot. But still they maintain its the more skillful / Gaelic game. As a schoolboy I played Hurling and once you get the hang of the basics, itsno more skillful that football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Imagine the atmosphere in Tullamore or Portlaoise. Not only in the stadium but around the town. Would have been a great economic benefit to those places also.

But all that matters not, all that matters is Da Dubs. Fcuk everyone else, they don't matter.

Exactly, being from Monaghan, I often went to Ulster finals no matter who were playing. I always had great craic with fans from other counties, and Clones was transformed for the day. Shops doing trade ,young people getting a few pounds for manning makeshift car parks etc. An integral part of the town and county.

Croke Park is not getting the attendances it did years ago. Both from Dubs and non Dubs.

GAA need to wake up to that. Inflation and travel/accommodation prices for fans outside Dublin is becoming another obstacle.

There is very little hotel or BnB availability left in Dublin for travelling fans. Add in fuel and pub prices. Very expensive day out especially if it's not going to be competitive.

I could be wrong but it's clear people are voting with their feet.

Would be nice if Leinster Council went on and justified their decision. The chairman was happy to go on RTE last night for the draw but wouldn't say where it would take place even when he probably knew.

I've been to Dublin a few times recently in the tourist off season and found loads of good cheap hotels.Boy was I shocked when looking at July/August for a friend's visit. Even the youth hostels are 4 times the price for a bed.

Everyone including the Dubs are now bored with the precession the Leinster championship has become and the league gave very few teams any hope for a good season

I've met Dubs in Clones who were delighted to be there. Genuine football followers have no problem following their team around no matter what county they're from.

Is it even really true that the Dubs won't travel or is it just HQ looking at capacity.

If it was for something a bit meatier than drubbing Wexford I'm sure they wouldn't care about the journey. All roads and trains lead to Dublin so they would have an easier trip than most.

Well when Dublin were playing in Clones, plenty seemed to travel. Alot of them for the novelty as they've never been there. But they'll travel no problem. Its the accountants, imo and actuaries, doing this to justify their huge budget being spent on Dublin.

Not sure how the fixtures work but really hope they are coming to Limerick for the league game next year.

Dublin fans like travelling. GAA on the other hand like to use their HQ showpiece stadium. And also pack the crowd in and give as much fans as possible a chance to get a ticket.

The problem is if the GAA did not use CP for Dublin matches -

1) How often would CP be used? - it could be called a white elephant

2) Other counties like playing there - and could feel slighted if not given the chance - every player aspires to play in CP etc - regardless of county

3) As I already alluded to there are problems with capacity with other stadiums. Plus many others are archaic type stadiums even if they have decent capacity like Semple. Facilities wise and architecturally, they are fairly basic at best.

It would not really encourage casual fans to games. Or ‘sell’ the games to a to a televised audience.

I do understand the barely half full CP argument v an atmospheric packed smaller stadium. But Parnell is too small for football championship demand. And a 25k/35k Dublin stadium is prohibitive due to land costs and availability alone. It would be wasted really.

Particularly with CP mostly idle are rarely 50k filled on a stand alone game - unless it is a ‘big match’. Or the Dublin support view it as an attractive game. Or Novelty. But an under utilised CP would also be madness. As it happens to be in Dublin.

Would get 40k ish - normally. And a lot less elsewhere means less tickets

So the GAA/DCB/fans/players are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. No matter where a Dublin football game is played there is always an unhappy cohort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭howiya

As a Dublin fan who was in Wexford Park at the weekend I won't be at the Meath game whether it is in Croke Park or anywhere else. Dublin play Kilkenny the night before and unfortunately you have to pick and choose the games you go to. The hurling will win out for me. Two games in a weekend is a non runner for a lot of people I'd imagine.

Ide agree with you on everything except no.3

The "casual fan" all over Ireland has had no problem with the basic stadia. I wish Limerick had the facilities of CP or the renovated PuC but it doesn't seem to stop people going.

It's that kind of attitude probably gives Dubs a bad name.

It is not Dublin fans I am on about alone but the ‘casual GAA fan’. The ‘bad name’ some people like to claim Dublin fans have is nothing more than a stereotype. The vast majority of Dublin GAA fans are sound like other counties. Plus every county has sunshine supporters.

Anyway there is a problem with the state of most GAA stadia. It ties in with what another poster said how the GAA struggles to market itself.

GAA stadia are such a mixed bag it's hard to call them as one thing. Some counties, Kildare and Waterford come to mind have left their stadium in an awful state but others are fine despite having "no facilities". Ennis for instance you don't really need anything as you are right in the heart of town and its a great size for most of it's games. Nowlan park is another fine no frills stadium.

Fans will go if there is something worth seeing on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I mean, even a cursory check will find that Meath agreed to play the semi in Croke Park after their ground was ruled out by the Leinster council (for bloody obvious reasons as well).

If anything, the only one of the 4 teams not consulted was Dublin. So instead of talking about the Dubs having undue influence, maybe it's worth having a look at the blazers on the Leinster council and why they want to ay as many games in CP as possible. Here's a hint, it's money.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Sure there is no talking to posters who believe it is a Dub conspiracy on CP.

They are the same who believe all Dub supporters don’t travel, and Dublin supporters are mostly gougers etc and have no clue about GAA.

Those posters who Parrot that stuff, are to me are GAA ‘pub talk’ posters. Not to be taken too seriously IMO.

Here's the bit you never hear about either. Dubs fans end up paying more to go watch our football team than any other county as a result of having all those games in CP. Look at the price of a ticket in PP or other venues around the country and you start to see a fairly large disparity.

Not to mention the price of a pint compared to country venues! 🤨

You'll also never see as many speed vans on the M7 as when there are Dubs coming back from a game in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A bit ironic that the chairman is an Offalyman.

Advertisement