Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed expectations

• 02-05-2022 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭

I don’t know if this is the right forum for this so please move it it’s better suited elsewhere.

Got an unexpected message at the weekend that implies that I have a child, and I’m not sure what to do about it. So far I have ignored the message but I know I can only do this for so long. I obviously know who the message is from, and I haven’t had contact with said person for years. She had never contacted me before at all, and I didn’t know about this.

The message was far from friendly, and it made it clear that the woman opposes any contact between “her child” and me, but she thinks he will contact me on his own terms if she was to block contact and that she’d rather keep communication lines open.

I don’t really know what I am supposed to do here. She clearly wants me to stay away, but he doesn’t. I want to do the right thing which means not hurting others but I can’t see how I can do this here. To me it makes no sense to contact someone years later and expect them to play along..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Assume child is an adult at this stage or will be when they contact you? If so ignore the mother entirely. She kept this from you wrongly for years.

Have you other children?

Difficult but I would want a test done to confirm and would probably want to get to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How old would the child be.

If the child be 18 then she can't really do anything to stop them meeting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

12…makes me feel old enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's not the child's fault his mother kept you secret/in the dark.

She may have had her reasons, the reasons may have been totally valid but I do think it's a sh*tty thing to do. Looks like her hand has been forced and she can no longer keep you a secret.

That's said I do think a child deserves to know where they come from. If your parents are alive I do think they deserve to know they have a grandchild.

It sounds like all that's expected from you is your time. At this stage I don't think that's a big ask.

If the child wants to meet, meet them, get to know them....you might actually like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

Refusing contact would suit her narrative while breaking the child's heart making them hate you forever and possibly load them with minor psychological hang ups. Unless you actually don't want to see them I think you should make a point of seeing your kid.

Knowing your parent helps you make sense of life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I would be trying to get into their life now. They are young enough to forge a childhood relationship with.

why is she telling now I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Sounds like the mother has already told the child that you are the parent.

And are trying to make you look like the bad one.

Not being there for the child's youth ect So she doesn't want you to accept contact with the child she would look better.

Ask for a dna test keep records of all contacts with your ex.

Try find out how she got your phone number to contact you after 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was wondering that too. Could it be money she's after? I'm no legal expert but I would imagine a court would force her to give certain axxess to the child should you wish to go down that route.

I wouldn't take her word for it. If you really want to get involved, get a paternity test.

If you don't want to get involved, then leave it.

They are abroad and it’s partially the reason I haven’t responded to her yet.

I’m not angry and I can understand why she might have kept it to herself at the time. I just don’t know how to respond now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If she wanted money off you she would have gone after you 12 years ago unless you've suddenly won the lotto.

From what you said earlier it sounds like she doesn't want contact but the child is pressing the issue. Without wanting to be harsh it sounds like she was getting on fine without you and would much rather to continue in that manner. However she can't stop the child contacting you and the child inviting you into their life.

I personally think it would be a d1ck move to refuse contact, but it would also be a d1ck move to enter the child's life and feck off after a couple of meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Terrible attitude to have - not to get involved in your child's life.

The child is the innocent party and has a right to know their parents. If the mother denied her child and father that opportunity for years, that's also a rotten thing to do.

OP, it's a shock and could have a huge impact on your life. Take a test and then take it from there. Being a parent is a gift, many people are not so lucky.

Wow, I'd say that took the shine off your weekend. If it were me (and if the dates check out, and it turns out you think the child may actually be yours) then I'd probably ask about the current situation she's in. If she's in a relationship and there's already a kinda family unit in place, then I'd probably hold off. Maybe ask if you can write a letter to the child and see if he still feels the same about making contact once he's 18 or whatever.

All of the above after several stiff drinks, obviously. Best of luck!

I agree. She never contacted me for money before and I don’t think that’s her intention. From what I can tell she wants me to stay away and avoid contact. I’m not THAT bad though I think.

• Administrators Posts: 14,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Jequ0n, by your own admission in this forum you do not treat partners very well. If you were emotionally manipulative and controlling it is understandable that she would try to keep the pregnancy and subsequent child a secret so as not to keep you in her life. Unfortunately for her she is now discovering that children do grow up and usually are curious about who they are and where they came from.

She is saying she wants nothing from you. She doesn't want contact with you but is giving your forewarning that her son might try to contact you in the future. I think she will probably do what she can to delay that for as long as she can. Maybe she is stalling at the moment telling him she is trying to track you down. I think it is very understandable that she would not want to bring you back into her life. But she is also acknowledging that she can't keep you away from her child forever.

I think you should reply to her. Tell her you were surprised to hear from her and that you will take her lead on this. That you will not push for anything that she or the child are not ready for. She knows her son. Let her manage this. She might make some wrong/bad decisions as she tries to bring him up. Every parent does. We make choices at the time that we think are right. Sometimes they're not. But in general, as a parent, we do what we think is best at the time. In this instance I'd let her lead what happens next. She knows the day will come when he wants to contact you. She also knows the person you were when you were together so she will be trying to manage the child's expectations for when he does eventually contact you himself. She'll be trying to prepare him that he might not get a happy outcome.

Try find out how she got your phone number to contact you after 12 years.

I have had the same number for roughly 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Being a parent is a gift if you want to be a parent. It would literally be the worst thing that could happen to me.

OP, I'm genuinely conflicted as to what advice to offer you here. Given your own admissions on here since you joined, I'm honestly not sure you'd be a positive influence on this person. Sorry. But, maybe that's a realisation they need to come to themselves, I don't know. I think at this point, you should acknowledge the message, tell the mother you'll go with the child's flow and take it from there.

A DNA test is always an option, but reading between the lines it doesn't seem like you're questioning paternity.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

I didn't say which he should choose, did I? That's up to him.

OP, in case it wasn't clear (god knows how it wasn't clear, but I'll restate it) if you want to be involved you have the right to get a paternity test, in my opinion. You have no idea whether you are the father or not. You can't just take someone's word for it, it's simply naive.

Anyone who considers that to be "terrible" needs their head checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It was the part about not getting involved I was replying to, apologies if I mis-read.

Agree that OP should take a paternity test.

• Advertisement

I was bad then and as I said I can’t blame her for her decision. It’s still really confusing now though.

I will reply to her but can’t do it now because I am actually furious now and would end up saying something I’d regret.

Thank you

What are you furious about? Are you furious that she got pregnant? Had a baby? Didn't tell you? Or are you furious that she has contacted you now all these years later?

You say you don't blame her for not telling you at the time. I am assuming you didn't treat her very well. She got pregnant, unplanned. She wanted to keep the baby but realised she did not want to keep you in her life. So she made the decision that she felt was right at the time. She decided to be a single parent and look for no input from you whatsoever.

Unfortunately, children tend to grow up and ask questions. She doesn't want anything from you. She doesn't want money. She doesn't want your time. She doesn't want a relationship of any sort. But she's now realising that actions have consequences and her son is questioning where his dad is.

If you don't want to be a parent then you have the option to completely ignore that the boy exists. He may come looking for you as an adult. But that's in the future and something you can deal with if/when it happens. By your own admission you don't treat people well. If the boy makes contact with you in the future, he'll probably figure that out for himself before too long and he will realise his mother made the decisions she made trying to protect him.

Don't reply yet. But try to work out what exactly you're furious about. And if you have a right to be. If she told you she was pregnant at the time, what do you think your reaction would have been, and how would your life, and relationship with her and the child have been all these years? Think about that. You're a very honest person, so I think you can be honest with yourself about that.

And then think if you are justified in feeling furious. (Or are you furious because this is a situation you couldn't and can't control? Do you feel she has somehow gotten one over on you?)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

To me it makes no sense to contact someone years later and expect them to play along..

I think you're letting your own characteristics cloud your judgement here. She doesn't know you've changed, if you have. As far as she knows you're exactly the same as before and only the two of you know what that was like. This time it's not only herself she has to protect, but her child.

I can't imagine contacting you was number one on her wish list, but she felt she had to. She is stuck between a rock and a hard place and at the heart of if she is doing the best for the kid and was decent enough to give you a heads up so whatever shocked reaction you're likely to give, you give to her and not the kid.

She can't be expecting a response straight away. As someone above said, a message saying you'll follow their lead is perfectly acceptable. Unless you absolutely don't want contact.

I am furious that I was given the news with the clear undertone that she doesn’t want me to be involved. Yes, I think I have a right to be annoyed about this and most people would be.

It is a control thing. I don’t let other people decide that I should do, because only I make that choice. I don’t take it well when someone tries to make me do something, and loss of control is a big problem for me. I am aware of this and I am addressing this.

I will not reply while angry. Unfortunately I know that the anger needs to explode first so I will not respond until I have myself back under control.

@Hannibal_Smith

” think you're letting your own characteristics cloud your judgement here.”

I don’t think I understand what you mean by that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Slow down, reply to her you are in shock and need some time to digest it.

I see this two ways,

She was in a relationship that gave her financial stability and that has broken down and she needs financial support for the child from you. Which is fair enough she’s just gone about it badly but holding that against her actives nothing.

Or She kept the child from you and you from them but now they want to know more.  She’s not after money and she’d prefer to keep you out of their life.

I think offering to let her decide and take the lead on this is bad idea it gives her free rain to say you didn’t want to know the child and poison any future relationship with them.  I’d get as many details from them as possible including a photo. Do you believe it is your child? Do you need a DNA test?  Or do you know from a photo that it’s yours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I get the impression that you like to be the person calling the shots and possibly would have been the controlling one where this girl was concerned? So for her to be messaging in a way that is asserting herself you find difficulty in accepting that.

My thinking would be she's not expecting you to play anything, she doesn't actually need you to play any part. This is the situation, it's not her choice to contact you but felt it important.

In fact just reading your response to Chips above I'm not too wide of the mark?

I am furious that I was given the news with the clear undertone that she doesn’t want me to be involved.

She doesn't want you involved. She doesn't want anything to do with you and she hasn't wanted anything to do with you for the past 12 years. She would prefer to happily live the rest of her life never having to communicate with you again. But she's now realising that is no longer her choice.

Her son is asking questions and she can't fob him off forever.

Her contact with you was not an attempt at control. She was not telling you something, deliberately to tell you to stay away. Her contact was purely to forewarn you that in the next few years you will be contacted by a young man who tells you you are his father. If you decide you want to meet the boy before he makes that contact himself I have a feeling she will facilitate it even though she doesn't want it. (So there's your control back if that's what's most important for you in all this - you can decide when to meet him).

She's not trying to control you. She trying to manage a very very difficult situation. One which she believes has the potential to be very upsetting for her son. He's her priority in this. Not you, or controlling you, or looking for a reaction from you, or anything about you... She's only thinking of her son and how to do best by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Could be a delayed April Fool's prank from your mates.

• Advertisement

I didn’t say she was trying to control me. You asked why I was so angry and I explained it. I do not like not being in control or being told what to do. That’s all. It’s a known issue and I am managing it whereas years ago I would have flown off the handle.

I don’t think I am being unreasonable in being annoyed about this situation.

I couldn’t care less about this woman and her “difficult situation”, but I certainly don’t want to cause unnecessary pain to the boy. I won’t rush this.

Advertisement