Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchase of a house in receivership

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are, of course, wrong. A receiver can be appointed over a property under the terms of its mortgage. There is in fact a statutory right to appoint a receiver in addition to the terms of the mortgage. It is not availed of in the csase of family homes because of the code of conduct on mortgage arrears etc but is used frerquently in the case of buy to lets. the majority of houses auctioned by Bidx1 are receiverships of buy-to let properties.

The main issue for a purchaser is that the receiver cannot answer some of the requisitions on title and excludes himself from all liability and contracts out of important information. I would be surprised if the o/p succeeds in getting a mortgage to buy such a property. If his solicitor has to qualify the title (almost inevitable) a lender may well refuse a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In the post I invited people to correct it as I was not sure on whether the word was used in that context.

Anyway, your post kind of confirms what I said which I was asking what was the business. I said that it seemed unusual to be using that term. I had the impression that it wasn't used in the context of family homes. You confirmed that.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wurley

Thanks for clearing that up. So you would suggest that our mortgage provider will not go through with the funds as the house is now with the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We bought a repossessed property (rurally). We've had no issues with the locals, if anything it was welcomed that someone took on the property as it was standing idle for over 5 years and becoming an eye saw.

The previous owners adult son had gone back after they left and stripped the house of everything, plumbing, kitchen etc. in a kind of protest but tbh it is an old house and everything would have needed to be replaced anyway so saved us a job of stripping out everything ourselves.

We paid cash so we didn't have to deal with a mortgage and it took us 17 months from going sale agreed to close of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there nothing under that, i'd assume it should have been transferred to somewhere else if it's in receivership.

• Advertisement

17 months!!!! I hope it doesn’t take that long.

If the former owner co-operates, it will go through. Most former owners don't co-operate.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We looked at a house that was a receiver sale and the estate agent was very upfront about the fact that receiver sales usually take a good bit longer to go through than standard sales (usually because the former owner isn't being co-operative) The house that we looked at had been stripped on the inside - copper pulled out of the walls, entire kitchen ripped out, bathroom fittings removed and some tins of paint emptied all over the hall. This was a fairly good indicator that the former owner wasn't likely to be co-operative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I've bought two repossessed houses, the first one took 5 months, not an extremely long time. The second one took nearly 7 months, it should have been done in 4, but the previous owner was holding out for 5k for non existent furniture. My sale/buying price would have been the same but the bank getting 5k less. After a lot of song and dance, another house came up across from it, so I gave them the choice to close in 4 days, by the end of that week, or I was buying the other house, I had the keys in my hand by Friday afternoon.I have a friend that has bought two also, and I'm sure lots more friends that have done it that it's not important to mention.

Its very few sales that lead to repercussions after, there are tons of houses sold in receivership, and people love a good story, so we hear about them more often-like thousands of people driving a road every day, but we don't hear about them, but we do hear about the crashes. Personally, I wouldn't let it bother me.

You're getting a house at a good price, enjoy it, keep the pressure on your solicitor to keep the pressure on their solicitor and auctioneer to keep pressure on the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ours was a bank repossession so the former owners had no say in how or when it was sold, it was the bank (AIB) that dragged their feet on the sale.

It probably would have gone on longer only there was a storm and some of the trees on my property blew over and damaged the neighbours property which the bank was liable to repair. After that the bank just wanted rid and the sale moved on pretty quickly.

Re-Possessed houses are different to receiver sales. there is less to go wron in a repossession case because the bank has a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Receiver is usually appointed to buy to let properties as they are bought as an investment and therefore are not considered family homes.

If you look at any decent online auction such as bidx1 you will see many are receiver sales. Some are tenanted, some are vacant. I would not see much of an issue. Banks will have no issue giving a mortgage either.

A bank repossession sale however may have more "personal" interest from a small number of people as usually that would be their home, but receiver sale is effectively an investment property sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Thanks, I didnt know there was a difference, as it turns out so, one was a repossession and one was a receivership.

Thanks.

Thanks so much for the positive comments and information. It is very much appreciated. Good to know they don’t drag it out.

Advertisement