Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I noticed tapeworm segments in droppings from lambs couple of days ago..early February born lambs..gave albex yesterday and see long bits of tapeworm hanging from them this morning..I assume this is a good sign that the dose is working? Lambs in fine fettle..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tapeworm isn't much harm to lambs, they come from dogs, if you keep your dogs dosed you shouldn't have tape worms,

I knew they are not supposed to be much harm but they are unsightly..can't see how they would do any good either....I don't actually have a sheep dog..we do have a dog that's not near the sheep and is well wormed..better looked after than myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Dosed with Curazole today, lambs were born in early March. Will dose again in 3 weeks and give a Cobalt dose then also.

Apologies wrangler.. looking back at that it was quite an abrasive response by me..I was just frustrated as I had tapeworm over a year ago too..possibly came in some lambs I bought ..do they stay in soil like other worms can?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Came on a dry hoggett this evening that was 'praying' on her front legs....saw her on Saturday and she was fine....she's not lame....when I approached her she stood up and ran away but it was like she was after a few beers!....kinda jumping like a goat rather than normal running.Would think it must be something on the brain.Will get her in tomorrow if she's still with us and check her out.

As far as i know tapeworms need dog to complete it's life cycle, sheep pick them up in dogshit,we used to have them here years ago but since we dosed the dogs every thrree months we haven't had them. Aparently they don't do much harm but a bad infestation must physically take up a lot of room in their stomach with what I've seen coming out of lambs.

Only a white dose controls tapeworm but it's getting useless for the stomach worms

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

I've a few acres of mountain ground that hadn't been grazed in years. Was covered in ferns. Grazed it heavily the last 3 years and where the ferns have died there's a great crop of bluebells coming.

What would you do to get rid of them.

Its only pedestrian aces so no tractor work involved. Carry over the back sprayer every so often and spray ferns. That's it.

Any advice??????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Have a ewe that has been losing wool and now as you can just about see in the pic attached has a big patch in the middle of its back that the wool is gone completely. Is it something to worry about she is fine besides

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Fluke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Did she get any injections for an infection at lambing time?

Yea, we've two ewes that got penicillin after lambing and are losing their wool now, the place is white with wool and only two of them shedding.

Taken from The Sheep Games Facebook page, I can empathise being a Cheviot keeper

"Hats off to the mighty Black Cheviot, who has single handedly destroyed our love of lambing time. Every ounce of joy is sucked from our very souls thanks to the world's most arrogant, obstinate, unmaternal prick eared pillock ever to roam our hills. After purchasing Nigel, a black Cheviot tup for our son (endless nagging) our entire flock changed almost overnight. He shagged pretty much every single ewe we own, jumped countless walls, fences, hedges to impregnate everything, all in the blink of an eye. The misery he has spread at our little house on the prairie is unimaginable. Picture shown is of one of his a-hole daughters who refused to be caught whilst lambing. After running rings round us she jumped into the reservoir, swam the width of it (no mean feat), lambed on the banking at the far side and promptly showed her true mothering skills by abandoning her offspring and f...ing off into the distance, hopefully never to be seen again. She has ascended into Cheviot legendom due to evading capture, swimming the res and leaving her lamb, all witnessed by her fellow a-hole mates. Her pal who also attempted the swim with her has now been completely ostracized from the Cheviot breed, due to turning back half way, allowing capture, giving birth and not only having milk but actually rearing her lamb. A complete failure to her breed "

No she got no injections lambed unaided...got a fluke and mineral dose thats all. Will all the wool fall off eventually. Be 1 less for shearing 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It’s not scab or lice or something is it? She looks to be have a patch behind the shoulder as well?

If it’s due to an infection or sickness a while back - then the wool will have been weak at the point when it grew when she had the infection. It will break at this point. So when it falls out, she shouldn’t be totally bald - there should be a bit of wool coming underneath again… if that makes sense…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

last hogget lambed here Saturday,thats it for this year now thankfully,was our first year lambing our own llyen ewe lambs,they would really put the Suffolk x or mule hoggets i used to buy to shame for mothering ability,very impressed with the llyens as ewes now overall

Lleyns are referred to as old mans sheep around here as they're so easy care and easy to handle, we're using them twenty years, crossing them back and forth with maternal type texels...... lovely sheep

• Advertisement

I treated her with spotinator 2 weeks ago but I don't think that does anything for scab think I better inject with ivomec just in case. Only thing is would she not be off form if it was scab. I bought the ewe last year with lambs and foot and she was the only one of the group sheared so I asked the seller why she was sheared and he said he had injected her for something and her wool started shedding so he sheared her...so I'm wondering is it something that happens annually

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

would.nt worry about it as had a ewe here that lost most of her wool every year

Bought a hogget from a lad on Monday. Went out this morning and she had a lovely lamb running after her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Tileman

Did u know it was in lamb?

Had a hogget scanned in lamb for a double.

She was poorly the past 2 days, was kinda putting off the inevitable of more than likely taking dead lambs from her.

After seeing her with 2 lovely lambs at foot. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

would It be to early yet to worm dose lambs that were born last week of March and first week of April ? All seem to be thriving well ? Or would I be better to leave them another two weeks time and then go in with a white dose for nemodirus?

Wait until the youngest are 5 weeks old so two weeks time would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is there any word of Nemo outbreaks yet?......my ewes started lambing from around March 12th.....majority done by March 28th so was thinking of going with a white dose this weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement