Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

*posted on wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Initially the ideal scenario would be just a reallocation of resources within the same areas based on need (household size). You’d hope, and I expect it would, fix an awful lot of the current issues.

But if deficits continued to exist, a logical and fair solution would be again be based on need. Somewhat subjective I guess but personally I see ‘location’ as being crucial for daily activities. Work and schooling being the two primary ones. Typically retired people have less daily ‘must go here’s’ and therefore need for ideal location is lower than a nurse and a teacher with 3 children of school going age. So I’d personally still allocate to the younger threshold.

All the issues you mentioned of leaving friends family facilities are issues facing an entire generation. I don’t see why elderly should be insulated from that purely due to a fortunate year of birth (in ideal modern world everyone would be insulated, but we don’t leave in an unreal world). Forcing young people to take 100% of the brunt doesn’t meet the overachieving societal need, isn’t logical, nor is it fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I saw this : McGovern Estates is delighted to showcase ‘Woodfield’. This four bedroom bungalow sits on 0.8 acres and has excellent development potential S.T.P.P. 

But looking through it, yeah, it appears they have a 7 unit development planned but just no planning permission.... I guess it makes it more valuable?

The latest recorded Population density for Ireland is 147 people per square mile, according to the CSO (World population review, 2019). Meaning around 4.3 acres per person.

Imagine setting aside 10% for residential, we'd have about 0.4 an acre person, meaning a family of 5 would have 2 acres.

Imagine even getting 10% of that would be 0.2 of an acre for a family of 5 which would still be substantial.

Instead of anything approaching even distribution of even 1% of our land is not happening. We have most people in Dublin and surrounds squashed into sardine tins. Bear in mind people historically got land through murder, it's a very strange unequal society we live in now.

I wonder what it would be like if every Irish citizen was guaranteed an equal share of 1% of the country. It's amazing to think we don't even have that.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You highlight young peoples needs but neglect and dismiss older peoples needs which increase as they get older maybe in time you will see this when parents etc get older.

I take from your post you have little understanding or exposure to it at the moment if you think retired people have less crucial daily must go’s. Maybe for the first 10 years after retirement but after that it changes quickly with multiple doctor/hospital visits etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Can you expand on what you mean by "reallocation of resource within the same area based on need" comrade? I'm not following what you're suggesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well we have it now. Blame the older generation, hound them out of there houses and support structures. Blame the Government. Every page or so blame FFG. Blame the cost of housing. The workers on sites must be being paid too much. Blame the developer's. Blame the local authorities they are not building houses. Blame HAP. Blame Investors big and all. Blame mammy and daddy for giving or not giving there children a helping hand. Blame the IFSC. Blame the MNC's for paying some workers too much. Blame the Ukranisns. Blame the EU. Blame the banks. Blame those that come to work here

Blame, blame, blame everybody and anybody because we want to be handed everything on a plate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It quite easy. It translates to I want a three or four bed house in D4 with ensuite's but I do not want to pay for it. Instead I think all those Der people should be turfed out so I can have there house at a knock down price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The definition of homeless is comical in Ireland.

Carrot (downsizing incentives) and stick (higher property taxes/bedroom taxes) approach which tries to flip the currently absurd situation where young families are piled into 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, many of whom defer or completely avoid having children because of it, whilst older empty nesters occupy the vast majority of the larger homes. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/seven-in-10-irish-people-live-in-homes-too-large-for-their-needs-1.4455690

There’s no rationale argument against this in a situation where we just can’t magic up the 10s of thousands of extra homes needed at the minute.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear. I own a 5 bed house in prime area so I’m not looking for anything out of this.

I’m just able to acknowledge my own fortune, identify that many others are not as fortunate and able to see that solutions are needed, urgently. Something you should sit back and think about some time when you’re somehow blaming young people for a crisis completely out of their own control.

Of all the posters on this entire board you’ve consistently shown yourself to be by far the most head in the sand, ‘I’m grand I have a house, this issue doesn’t affect me so f everyone else’. You’ve consistently stated things along the insinuate that current FTBs don’t face anything out of the ordinary and it was just as hard in the past. That requires either a serious lack of intelligence or a level of self absorption that makes rationale thinking impossible. Your opinion on housing is entirely based on your own narrow view and is therefore irrelevant.

I think the older generation had their fair share of displacement. I wouldnt be that old (at least most of my generation were able to come home after a few years), but even from my generation I think 3 people from my class in school didnt have to emigrate. At one point all my brothers and sisters and my Dad were living in different countries for work.

If people want to point out that people have to move a little further from the center from the younger generations, Im afraid they actually have no fcuking idea what its like to have to move because of the economy.

Back then too, when you said goodby to a relative at the boat (or the airport if they were going really far), you might not have seen them ever again. Young people are all me, me , me. Its gets old very fast when you see them moaning about the older generations.

Yes - young person who’s literally just taken out a €1m+ mortgage wanting house prices to fall so other people young people who are less fortunate may one day be able to afford a house too. Classic selfish “me me me” behaviour………

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I don’t understand why the government don’t invest in retirement villages for pensioners/ elderly instead of lashing out the numerous student apartments in prime locations.

A large number of elderly are living in 3,4,5 bed homes which they would probably sell if they were given a decent alternative. A retirement village like the ones in Portumna would combat the loneliness a lot of our elderly experience as they would have a like minded community and have access to medical and social care needs on site and don’t have to deal with the stress of maintaining their property/ gardens

This Country is so messed up, we have students living in apartments yet we have homeless families living in emergency B&B accommodations with no access to running drinking water or any cooking facilities to feed their children. It’s beyond f*cked up

You talk about private owners but what about social tenants? The social housing sector is something we all contribute to through taxes (income, property & vat).

Social tenants could move to smaller properties as soon as their children moved out. Those families on HAP in private rentals would move into these social houses freeing up these houses (and probably reducing the rent) for private tenants. Councils would also not need to outbid buyers of private houses too.

Would you agree it’s a good place to start as we’re all invested in the social housing system in one form or another?

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Because elderly people tend to not want to sell their house unfortunately.

I believe the government have tried to incentivize this already with limited success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Not to mention removing the max rent level for social housing. If you can afford it, you should pay the market rate.

I agree. If their circumstances change for the worse again it could always be reduced to an affordable level.

Completely agree. This is a great idea. I only heard recently that social homes are allocated based on need but then can be retained forever? So you get a 4 bed based on family size but then keep it indefinitely?

If true, that is insanity and should be looked at immediately…but obviously won’t be…

Yep, there is no obligation to leave a council property.

It would be interesting to see a summary of how many people are residing in different sized council properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I think small developers had very little to do with the crash. The likes of McDonald homes mentioned by @Bass Reeves had a sound business model, they were victims rather than a cause of the crash. I'm not sure what restrictions you are referring to that prevented the banks loaning, but % rates of 15% to build are basically telling builders to get lost. The purpose of the imf bailout was to fix the economy, this would include putting the banks in a position to lend for key infrastructure required for the economy.

Could Nama have handled the situation better. Take for example, in 2016 selling 442 (1,2 and 3 bed apartments) adjacent to tallaght hospital plus retail units leased to M&S amongst others for the equivalent of 100k per apartment, which were quickly sold on for 183k per apartment. Surely the state could see the Strategic value of these and make significant money on it by holding it.

Ref immigration, these jobs are well flagged in advance, where is the planning in providing the infrastructure required for these new entrants. If you have a large amount of property, would it not be prudent to hold on to what you have when such an influx is envisaged.

Why sell development sites to investment funds with no experience of developing. Why talk about introducing use it or loose it tax when you are facilitating the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Another aspect of social housing I've never understood is tenants being given the opportunity to purchase the house at half the market value. Where is the logic in this? I wouldn't have much issue with tenants being offered the chance to buy their home from the council at the going rate, but why are people getting a 50% discount on top of them paying rent at 50%+ below market rate for decades.

The first time I heard of this tenant purchase scheme was when it was used by a friend's family years ago. Her mother has since passed and the house was left to her and her brother who are renting it out and splitting the €900 p/m rent.

It's a fine 3 bed house that the council owned for decades but basically gave away for like €50k. Now it's on the private rental market when it could have been kept by the council and used to house another family.

We have a retired family couple who live in the 2nd most expensive city in the UK, they were able to sell family home buy apartment in same area and a nice cottage in Ireland and have a bit left over for enhanced retirement.

Here the apartment will cost more than the house your selling. Now how does that happen in developer/investment fund/lobbyist/politically charged property market in ireland

I mean there's not thousands of empty apartment blocks in the suburbs. So your plan hits the buffers immediately. The solution is to build. If there was retirement villages built then people could downsize and not feel like they were isolating themselves.

You're a homeowner yourself. So be interesting to see if you move into a small apartment in your late fifties once the kids have left.

Not thousands of empties no, but there are thousands of apartments jammed with young families or young couples who can’t start families. It’s just a case of getting them to swap through effective policies (although difficult to get old people to downsize so heavily penal ones would be needed). There’d likely still be a deficit though. Ireland has two problems. Supply (gets talked about a lot) but also we have the wrong people living in the wrong places. The latter is easier to fix.

Building is great. But slow. And due to rapidly escalating cost, I suspect it’s no longer economical to build in many parts of the country so it’s about to slow down again. We won’t fix the issue with supply alone anytime soon.

In terms of downsizing. I can’t wait. I’ll be back into a 2 bed centrally located apartment the second I can and bring my retirement forward by 10 years.

Why would they leave when there are close to 100% grants for stair lifts, driveways for wheelchair access, repositioning of electrical fittings etc

Ironically much of this work will be reversed, thrown out when the home changes hands a few years later.

Unfortunately housing provision is driven by the needs of people at there peak earnings rather than the needs of people as they progress through life. In a proper functional market you would only need a 3/4 bed unit for 20 years of one's life

This comes at great cost to the state

But sure why would you want to sell your house that you worked yourself to the bione to pay the mortgage on and spent a liftetime getting it the way you want it and fostering roots in the community. It would take a hell of an incentive to give all that up and start again when you are a pensioner.

Not many people in their 50/60/70s would want to move into apartments in the city centre. No gardens to pass your days in etc. Step outside your door cane first to the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

Fairly myopic thinking to be frank. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Are your parents alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Even head of DCC now questioning the viability of BTR being the only game in town.

BTR schemes are fast becoming the “dominant source” of developer-provided social housing in the city, with levels expected to hit almost 80 per cent by 2024, council chief executive Owen Keegan said.

In his response to submissions on the new city development plan, Mr Keegan said he was concerned about the suitability of BTR schemes for long-term homes for social housing tenants given they did not have to comply with minimum standards in relation to size and mix of apartments.

Mr Keegan is recommending councillors press ahead with restrictions on BTR schemes in the new development plan, in defiance of the State’s planning regulator, which said the curbs clashed with national policy. Provisions in the development plan would require 40 per cent of apartments in BTR schemes to be built to the same design criteria as standard apartments.

• Advertisement

You could start by moving empty nesters with spare bedrooms out of state owned houses and giving them smaller houses and moving new families into their bigger properties.

Then if you could get that to work, you can try moving on to the privately owned properties that people have spent a lifetime buying and caring for.

Cant wait to see how you get on.

Advertisement