Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Huge win and a massive effort. A much needed win for Kilkenny hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Well done to Lyng and Co. For a lad who has given some service to the county and hasn’t gone chasing the shilling elsewhere he gets a lot of undeserved criticism from the ignoramuses on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Great win and great heart and fight shown. Plenty of good young hurlers in Kilkenny. While they may not be world beaters at the moment there is plenty of potential there that just needs to be developed. A much needed win for the den of negativity that this forum has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Monstrous win for Killenny hurling in general

Horror show first 20 mins.

Drennan and Joe Fitzpatrick huge prospects. Best of luck to Shine, he was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Badly needed win. I had zero hope after their last match against Laois and during the first half today. In fairness, they fought and improved as the game went on. Galway were the better team for a lot of the match but Kilkenny stuck at it and tremendous score at the end by Joe Fitzpatrick to win it. Almost definitely missing Harry Shine for the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Well done what a win in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

what happened to Shine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Watching on TV it looked like the hamstring went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Massive win for Kilkenny hurling. We need to get excited by this team, and look forward to some talent coming through. Lot of players underage again next year. Hard on the Galway players who missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭droppingball

Fantastic win, some resolve from players and thought management got changes right. Big win for Kilkenny hurling, one we needed, felt like the penalty saves gave the players belief and we hurled better from there.

Big 3 weeks coming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Galway at minor level persistently fouled to protect the goal. They've carried it into under 20 level today and it backfired. Perfect weather for a skillful free taker and Galway were deservedly punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Great win for the players some of whom have lost two minor all Ireland finals against Galway, one of which they were leading in injury time

We defeated Wexford at under 20 in 2019 in Wexford Park. Apparently there was/is a home and away arrangement. The upcoming Final next Monday may take place in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Could be wrong but was told Carlow is the likely venue due to floodlights.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Our County Board continue to disregard the supporters.

Salthill on Sunday for a Leinster match, Tullamore today and now off to Carlow when it should be in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

People just look for a reason to be negative here, should be no home games for Galway no neutral venue for the U20 and we can play next week in the dark, will you be happy then?

• Advertisement

I'm far from negative, read my posts and don't judge on just one. It's a case of fair play to those of us who spend our hard earned cash travelling in support of our teams. I'd have no problem playing all games in neutral venues.

Regarding playing in the dark, there's no need to if it's on at a sensible time, or day. Perhaps you could tell us why it's fixed for a Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Going back to the Senior game - Lyons pulled us twice for throws. Correct calls both, but they were our only infringements for throwing. Never pulled Galway - final two passes for their goal were throws and there were others - e.g Daithi Burke after he caught the ball over Ryan 20:33. That goal made a big difference to the game at a key time. In fairness to Galway they are not in the top offenders group in throwing. Maybe the Munster referees union are trying to punish us for being too vocal on here about this issue while the handballers down in Cork, Waterford and Limerick largely, with the odd exception, get free rein. Maybe its my fault 😳😉. Anyway, Galway probably deserved the win overall even though the final free was incorrect. But what do you expect from a Cork referee. They hate us down there.

I wouldn't be too down about the game overall. Galway were at home and we were competitive. A small bit of composure by us at key times could have made a big difference. Midfield is the area we need to improve obviously and maybe some players have reached the end of the road after good years of service to Kilkenny. I thought Eoin Cody and Wally were very good.

Great win for the U20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

While I thought the last free was harsh and infairness I'm not alone in this thinking tj Ryan,Kevin Moran and alot more thought it wasn't a free. He had his eyes on the ball. It's a game of inches and as others have said deegan could of being closer and mightnt of needed to make the lung bursting run but if the free wasn't given and phelan put it over we'd all be lauding deegan for the drive to get to that ball.Monaghan seen phelan alone and I feel he made the most of it on the ground.it will be cruel why for us to exit the championship if we dont win the two matches but we all know what's ahead of us now.id say the two handy matches done us no favours and the wexford game probably stood to galway.We needed another forward to fire yesterday to win that match but take cody and wally out of it we were well bet.We will probably see blanchfield come back into defence and a few changes in midfield and attack.

Well done to the u20s today a very important and much needed win with a young team. I thought purcel is a real old school defender and fitzpatrick at 6 looks a prospect. Doyle in midfield had a good finish to the game.Drennan mightnt have the explosive pace but he got some great scores and is a wonderful free taker. Shine got an excellent score and will be a big loss but really impressed with the lads that came on and it probably got us over the line.

Have to commend kilkenny though that never say die attitude is instilled in lads and they fight to the bitter end. Nothing won tonight obviously but a huge monkey of the back and a win next week will be straight into an all Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

First of all we'll done to the Under 20s a great win. On the Seniors, I think it's time for Eoin Murphy to be left out and Brennan to take the Jersey. Eoin was at fault for at least 1-1 yesterday and puck outs dreadful. Deagan also does not inspire confidence, I'm sorry but he's not up to it either at centre back.

Separately it was absolutely shocking the way Brian Cody behaved yesterday, to a Kilkenny legend that had a big influence on the All Irelands Cody has won. This county board won't remove him, so it's up to the clubs to remove him and I genuinely think this year that will happen if he does not go himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Is there not a bit much being made of the handshake lads ffs? He shook hands with him. They didn't kiss or hug they shook hands briefly. It's being slow mowed to death and looks worse than it was. I seen cody going to the ref and Henry went after him to shake hands which they did. If u slow a thing down enough and look at it enough it will start to look worse than it was. Time to move on from this cause there's more about this handshake than our bad handling and our midfield and 4 fowrds wiped out. There's not even a mention of tj going off its all about the handshake. They're both big men we know the way cody is. Lohan and davey hurled for 15 years and wouldn't even look at each other. It's time to move on lads or talk to Joe tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i actually think he was eyeballing the officials not sheflin , rte love hyping up all that sort of stuff , they always do the same with clare and limerick trying to make it out to be some sort of celtic v rangers rivalry which is ridicules when there is nothing but respect between both counties

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

It's nothing new to this era, Kilkenny, or any other county, exporting managers. Dermot Healy made the breakthrough with Offaly in the 80s, beating his native Kilkenny on many occasions using his inside knowledge. Is he seen as a man who deserted his tribe? George Leahy went to Laois. Competitive in the 80s, beating Kilkenny in league knockout.

Len Gaynor was with Clare when they beat Tipp in 1994..you couldn't find a more sincere, honourable gent. There was no one more Kerry than Paidi O'Sé. He managed Westmeath and Clare. When they beat Laois in 2004 in the Leinster final did Micko O'Dwyer throw a strop? All nonsense about Cody's honour. At 68 he should be seeing the big picture in life. Juvenile attempt at intimidation. It's only an effing game at the end of the day. Aswell as the pic below there was a similar warm exchange when Micko's Kildare beat Paidi's Kerry in the 1998 all ireland semi. Micko with 12 all irelands for Kerry between player and manager.

Sheflin spent 15 years under Cody's strict reign. When offered a selector role he didn't want to be subordinate to Cody again, bawled at like Martin Comerford. And why should he. He's a 43 year-old now, his own man. He's entitled to cut his teeth in county management elsewhere. Rather than waiting on Cody's annual November announcement that he's staying for another year. If you're ambitious and life offers an opportunity to improve yourself why wouldn't you go for it. Shefflin's loyalty is to himself and his family. He owes Kilkenny nothing, he suffered 2 cruciate, a bad shoulder injury and countless others. And now he's to be loyal to the 'tribe' and be Cody's lackey. I'm passionate about this as I'm Laois born but half Kilkenny parentage with a lot of connections there.

At the end of the day counties were set up under Queen Elizabeth I of England in the late 1500s. They're not natural Irish boundaries like the Cuige, one fifth, the old kingdoms of Ulster, Connacht, Munster, Leinster and Meath. Counties are an English construction! Areas like Ossory, which would contain parts of Kilkenny and Laois would be a much older diocesan natural region than the modern counties.

If talking about tribes, clanns like the Brennans would have their stronghold in North Kilkenny and South Laois.

Post edited by _NAGDEFY on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Great post. The mans ego is out of control, who does he think he is. If he thought of the bigger picture he would have left 2/3 years ago. The game has changed, players don't like Cody's lack of communication, approachability, bullying, intimidation, talking down to fellow selectors and players.

• Advertisement

Clearly, Eoin Murphy is struggling in recent times. I'm not sure replacing him is the answer as Brennan is exposed to the same training regime. Similarly with midfield, there's something amiss with how it's being set up. We've tried numerous players there and we continue to struggle.

Rather than blame the goalkeeper and midfielders, perhaps our game plan needs to be looked at.

Advertisement