Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I never said she was a "massive global star." I think you may have misread the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Katie has a major profile in Ireland, a minor one in the UK and one that really only exists in boxing circles elsewhere. That's not said to diminish her or her achievement by the way it's just a reality check. All that stuff with the Olympics was only in Ireland tbh.

All that stuff with women's entry to the Olympics' was only in Ireland?

Are you serious....?

This is the Olympic Games, not the community games. A global movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Why are so many people mentioning retirement? She has not even uttered the word in any interviews I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nicola Adams was the really big story in the UK in and around the Olympics. (I'm from the UK, and still largely consume the UK media over Irish)

It was even a source of annoyance in these very forums if you search back far enough.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Is Croke Park realistic for a rematch? The promoters would want the rematch to happen this year to capatilise on the MSG hype I would imagine. That would mean October maybe, to allow the dust to settle, have a training camp and hype up the fight? Boxing outdoors in Dublin in October is a gamble.

It's one of those where the promoters will talk about rematch in Croke Park and but it's not going to happen imo. A rematch in the States and if Taylor comes through that a fight in Croker next summer might happen, both herself and Hearn certainly seem to want a fight in Ireland before she retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

You said "she's a big name in a lot of places". I took that as being global. What places do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd suggest Taylor's big problem with gaining more name recognition is all her opponents have virtually none. Difficult to generate interest from casual observers when they've no idea if Taylor is fighting a girl off the street or the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Maybe because some people think she should retire, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No one likes the Olympics more than me but there is no movement. People (outside of the likes of me and you it seems) just consume it every four years (or 3/5 this time round but you know what I mean).

In terms of Katie selling out Croke Park though, none of this matters of course. She’s bigger than boxing here, no question.

The Olympics is part of it of course but for a load of reasons (and yes, gender is one of them), she’s the biggest and most liked sports star in Ireland

• Advertisement

She is known outside of Ireland. Nobody said she is a global superstar. I don't think she is, but she is known in more places than just Ireland

There needs to be some happy medium here. Not a global superstar, but also, not just known in Ireland.

U.S. she would be well know, Australia, Europe.....

The Olympics is a global behemoth, and it was Katie who was seen as the driving force in bringing women's boxing to the Olympics.

But in 2012 and before it was announced, the news story was global regarding women's inclusion on the boxing programme. It was big news.

I think some are mentioning retirement in that she has nothing left to prove as a fighter and that the longer she stays around, the more likely she will end up ending her career with a loss.

That said a great champion is always willing to take on the contenders so there is definitely two sides to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I thought Katie was lucky to get the decision, I had it five rounds apiece, I felt several of them could have gone either way. Having said that she did show great character to recover after taking a lot of punishment in the fifth.

A rematch in Croke Park would be a great occasion, but I'd say it won't be in the short term, maybe this time next year. Taylor has been a great example to young people, great dedication, no nonsense, always behaves well. She has had a bit of luck in at least three fights though, and if the rematch happens in Dublin I'd like to see her retire after that.

You’re a boxing fan (as am I, though not to the extent you are) so you’ve no perspective on this. It was relatively big in Ireland but no one else in the world really cared. Just like no one outside of the countries who had potential medalists knew when womens wrestling was added or weightlifting. Huge global sports with historic Olympic ties but not even shown for 10 minutes every four years here so irrelevant to us. That’s how boxing is to many around the world

Skateboarding was in the Olympics this year and despite it being signposted for years, it still surprised many viewers when it happened. breakdancing will be the same in Paris

You’re just vastly overestimating how many people care about a) boxing and b) the Olympics (outside of the games itself)

Claressa Shields (who I cannot warm to) made a good point about Katie winning the fight on scored rds, but Serrano on body language and looking the boss. I did see this as well; but boxing is the 10-9 scoring per round system.

Rematch in Croke Park is a fight Katie can win, but a very risky fight.

Katie is 21-0 now and has beaten the best at LW. Is nearly 36, financially set for life, and competing in a very dangerous sport.

This is why folks are calling for retirement. Katie not saying it doesn't mean folks won't think it or say it.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Great fight. I have to say though she was lucky to get through that unbeaten. Her coach was telling her after about round 6 to stop head hunting and go for the body more but, she didn’t. She carried on with the one two to the head of Serrano. Maybe she was still dazed but she wasn’t heeding any instruction.

The last 10-20 seconds too where they were just swinging for each other wasn’t wise considering Serrano’s power. Box and move and don’t risk taking a knock out blow.

She showed great heart and a good chin to win that

You cannot know who cared or not, and anyway, that is irrelevant.

My point was that in 2012 and pre London, the inclusion of women's boxing was a global news story. It was very prevalent, and Katie's name was the one that drove it. Whether one gave a fiddler's or not about women's boxing, they could not but fail to hear about it.

Like I said, a middle-ground is needed: She is not a super globally known star, (Messi/Ronaldo/Federer) but she is quite a bit more than just an Irish household name.

It was a story, one of the hundreds in the daily news cycle. It was a big story here because with its inclusion, it meant Ireland were highly fancied for a medal at the games.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree though. I don't think there's any convincing you that Katie is only really appreciated in Ireland and really doesn't have a profile elsewhere, outside of those interested in boxing.

Fair enough.....she has more than just an Irish profile. No convincing you otherwise.

Appreciated is one thing, well-known is another. I cannot know who does or does not appreciate Katie. I do really feel, though, that she is a well-known name in more places than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Take the money route.

Rematch should be in MSG or Vegas to capitalize on marketing and hype already banked.

Have a rematch clause in the event of a loss. Should she lose that then have the rematch at croker.

If she wins, have her next fight at croker with whoever.

Personally, if she fights again I'd like Katie to avenge her amateur loss from 2016 worlds (a fight I thought she won) to Estelle Mossely, the 2016 WC and 2016 Olympic Champion. Mossely is an IBO LW champion I think with around 10-11 wins and 0 losses at pro.

Post edited by walshb on

My point is that this is not true. You knew about it in Ireland but the inclusion of womens boxing in the Olympics simply wasn’t a big deal for the ‘global’ audience. It was quite easily missed if you didn’t already have an interest in the sport

I used wrestling and weightlifting as examples because *NO ONE* outside of their fans and sporting nerds knew it was happening. The same is true for boxing in most countries. Articles will appear online or whatever, but that doesn’t mean people read them or take notice

I think we’ve done this to death now BTW.

Well, weightlifting and wrestling would not be as known as boxing, and at the games, both these events made their female debuts several games before London, and before social media.

Folks don't want to meet half way: Not a global superstar name wise, but more than just Irish known. Over and out

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

With respect this is one of the most ignorant and daftest comments I've read.

She just sold out MSG, is a massive draw in the UK and was watched all over the world the weekend, there was more press at this fight that heavyweight championships of the world. On the prime us TV shows pre the fight. This was watched by millions throughout the world on dazn and I genuinely think your comment is daft. She is one of the biggest global superstar this country has ever produced. Only difference is she has class and doesn't put her name to cheap whiskey products or other endorsements

Weightlifting and wrestling are way more popular than boxing in a lot of countries. That’s my exact point. The people who care about it (or live in countries that care about it) find out. The rest just don’t care enough to notice

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Apologies i may have

It was to the one who said Katie isn't well known outside of Ireland or Boxing circles.

They didn't pay much attention to the America media during the week.

Dare say she got more media that 90% of America fighters have got over the last decade. Outside of Floyd and many obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Suppose they need to strike while the iron is hot but an outdoor show in October feels like a gamble weather wise tbh.

• Advertisement

Yes, and cricket is way more popular than ALL sports in some countries.....table tennis in China, for example, biggest of all sports I think....

Generally speaking, boxing would be much more globally known-watched-followed than wrestling/weightlifting

Advertisement