Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

Has anyone here mentioned yet the 2 new Easygo what looks to be 50 Kw chargers in Carlow Town just past the traffic lights just across from Bank Of Ireland and TSB ? can't see how it won't be iced. So that will make it 3x 50 Kw chargers for Carlow Town.

Shame Easygo don't install at least 150 Kw chargers or I just haven't seen any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

FFS yeah probably only the Mad_Lad would mention it here. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We turned the thread into an Ionity rant a few pages back so I wouldn't worry 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I think EasyGo have basically ruled out anything over 50kW except in maybe a few locations. They said in an IEVOA presentation a while back that the grid connection fees double as soon as they go over 50kW so it's hard to justify at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thought EasyGo previously said 75kW tritium chargers will be their norm. Maybe 75kW capable, but supply is always an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

The tritium 75kW can also load share across one chademo and one CCS, so even if site is power limited the 75kW chargers may be able to fill two cars at once compared to a 50kW unit

Post edited by zg3409 on

Another busy bank holiday weekend for ecars. I've some stats from EasyGo which seem to suggest they in no way benefit from the bank holiday weekend. Makes me question my EasyGo data

What's that data look normalised by capacity? Understand that we haven't had a huge jump in charger provision (ever really), but fast charging network utilisation % (especially grouped by time of day) would be a pretty interesting metric to track.

Utilisation is tricky (because units can be utilised in different ways. Some allow multiple sockets in use at a time, some don't. I can graph out the unit and/or socket counts over time.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bank holiday Monday in Westport, and the 50kW ecars charger is out of order again. The only other public charging point on Castlebar Street has only one operational 11kW socket.

And there were a lot of BEVs in Westport this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Not having it.

The network is adequate for current needs according to eCars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Theory.....

Increased bank holiday traffic is long distance travelling.

Those users are more likely to pull in to ESB at Mayfield, Junction 14 etc or Ionity.

Easygo units in places like Lidl less likely to be used during long distance trips unless stuck.

Hence Easygo more likely to not see a surge during a bank holiday.

Yup, I'd have the same thinking. Can't imagine dcu or BAM cork being busy on a bank holiday.

They're also less known

Aren't a lot of EasyGo units still free to use? Maybe that's what they're referring to, the lack of any financial benefit 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Was there too was shocking, luckily I was only coming from Galway got a quick charge on Friday before it broke (ended up didn't really need it as got back with plenty of juice).

Added to that the chargers (counted 5) in the Westport plaza (open to customers) didn't work for me either when I called in for lunch.

Charger ethicate not observed there was a leaf parked in the CSS space and a e-tron at a very awkward angle trying to connect.

There is supposed to be another charger on distillery st. but never spotted that (maybe a lamp post).

Post edited by podge1979 on

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There is supposed to be another charger on distillery st...

There isn't. Castlebar Street and James Street car park, plus the Castlecourt and Plaza car parks.

Units with socket type over time (just this last year):

16 more CCS capable units added in 1 year. Pretty poor IMO.

Ratio of minutes per unit used over the last year:

CCS usage per unit has over quadrupled in the last 12 months. #progress

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Interesting to see that CHAdeMO is getting the same usage as tethered AC, I'm guessing that's mostly down to CCS/PHEVs using the AC cable instead of an increase in the number of non-ccs Zoe's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Nice to see a full year of data. Number of cars more than double YoY while the network increases with 10%

When you say minutes per unit are they in a 24h window? 200 minutes per charger represents an average utilization in a day? Can I calculate:

200 minutes * 30kW (assumed average power delivered)* 120 (total number of chargers) = 12,000 kWh delivered in a day? More or less?

• Advertisement

CHAdeMO and Tethered AC wouldn't be the same. The number of CHAdeMO plugs is going up slowly while the number of Tethered AC is going down slowly. But, CHAdeMO usage is going up slightly, while tethered AC us going down slightly. You can see it in my post from the 3rd of May.

The data above is just every Monday of every week since last May. I picked Monday because it avoids reporting on the inflated weekends usage, but does show the odd bank holiday to give an idea of how busy the network can get. It's minutes in a 24hour window though, yes. It's a report on units though, so don't forget there are some units which could run for 48 hours in one 24 hour period (2 CCS plugs).

Looking here at a charge point in Arklow. Customer plugged in 13 hours ago, and still plugged in. I wonder are they aware of new overstay fee after 10 hours on 22kW AC units? That's an 8 euro surprise to them! I will leave a note on their window!

Meh, let them suffer IMO, that's at least 84kWh consumed. Unless it's a Model S or Etron then that car hasn't been charging for several hours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Or they have reduced charge speed option ticked on the car?

True, although that'd be a bit foolish of them, and I believe most cars let you disable that remotely

Also if it's a 3 phase car like an ID then I think it'll still charge at around 6kW

If they're genuinely charging then fair enough, but if they've that much battery capacity to fill then they're probably willing to suck up the overstay fee

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's all gone very quiet in the eCars world..... Are there any new sites being installed/upgraded? The summer season is almost upon us.

The last few weeks on twitter/facebook is all EasyGo, and fair fcukin play to them as it looks like they're starting to spend some of that cash injection they got... I wonder will all the eCars heads & Eamonn Ryan be down in Mayfield next month for the 1st birthday celebrations?

I'll have to rely on Kilcullen & Bolton St. Waterford next weekend (with Knocktopher as a plan b/c) , and am not optimistic at all..

It was an env200 leaf type van parking overnight Friday. Was moved by 10am Saturday morning. Free parking in area Friday night and Saturday but not weekdays. I suspect local business.

The way the overstay free worked on DC chargers was that you need to still be charging and not finished for overstay to kick in so presumably this small battery van was full many hours earlier. If the AC overstay is the same method as DC it's likely overstay was not applied due to finished charge. It would be very hard to be actively charging for greater than 10 hours so in practice this fine may never be issued.

In terms of new chargers, I have heard nothing. Even NI was promised loads of replacement chargers this year and only got a broken DC charger in Belfast replaced and a load of AC replacements. I suspect ESB NI want to get a good stock of DC chargers and swap out existing ones and introduce fees all in a short time period so they may be delaying until they have a stock of DC chargers and there are reports of delays in general on DC chargers due to covid and demand from other countries.

I predict it will get worse before it gets better with loads of EVs being sold daily.

Yeah. Pretty much no extra units added in 2022. Fermoy is all I can put my finger on. A few NI units have been replaced with ones that actually work, but that's it.

Still claiming 50 hubs by project end, and that project runs "until 2023". No doubt that'll mean until the end of 2023, but no doubt there'll be nothing near 50 hubs by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

The time came to say farewell to ecars. Today I cancelled my monthly subscription after over 5 MWh consumed since the introduction of fees.

Currently for me ecars is the poorest and most expensive option (43-46c/kWh), more expensive than Tesla SuC (37-39c/kWh), Easygo (40c/kWh) and Ionity (38c/kWh). Probably the others would change prices but for now and considering the inconvenience of SPOF, ecars is at the bottom of the option list.

Advertisement